PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the Broncos' 50th Anniversary Team

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Fans can vote for the 50th Anniversary Team position by position. PHOTO: DENVERBRONCOS.COM

50th Anniversary Team

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The 2009 NFL season marks the 50th anniversary of the Denver Broncos. To commemorate the past while embracing the future, the franchise is recognizing its community of fans who have been an integral part of Broncos Country during the first 50 seasons.

As a part of the celebration, fans have the opportunity to select their choice for the All-Time Denver Broncos Team through an online voting tool found at http://www.denverbroncos.com/50th/. Voting begins today, June 6, and can be completed at Fan Fair or by logging on to DenverBroncos.com any time. Voting concludes Sept. 4.

When fans log on to vote, they will be met with an introductory video before being able to select their team position by position. The interactive voting tool features the Broncos' history and highlights spanning the past 50 seasons through the use of video and additional multimedia. Each player is represented by their respective biography, statistics and photographs. Fans register their team choice through the online tool and become part of shaping the 50th Anniversary Team.

The players receiving the most fan votes will comprise the 50th Anniversary Team. The resulting team will be honored in person during halftime when the New England Patriots visit INVESCO Field at Mile High on Oct. 11. That game has been designated the Legacy Game, when each team will don their AFL uniforms -- the Broncos will sport their yellow and brown original 1960 uniform. In addition, one lucky voter will have the opportunity to join the 50th Anniversary Team during the halftime ceremony.

The web application was developed by the Broncos' online marketing partner, Akavit -- the principle digital agency behind DenverBroncos.com and BroncosCountry.com.

So, fans, check out the 50th anniversary site and start voting (http://www.denverbroncos.com/50th/)!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9080

BroncoTech
06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
As a web developer and fan I can really appreciate this app. Great post and a way to remember our favorite Broncos.
Here's my boys.

http://weedbay.net/images/broncotech50.jpg

FanInAZ
06-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Offense
WR: Rod Smith (He's simple our #1 all time WR)
TE: Shannon Sharpe (He's simple our #1 all time TE)
T: Gary Zimmerman (They...
G: Mark Schlereth (...got...)
C: Tom Nalen (...Elway...)
G: Brian Habib (...his SB...)
T: Tony Jones (...victories)
WR: Lionel Taylor (He produced those numbers in 14 game seasons. First player to catch 100 passes in a season, he did it three times. It ________________took 20 years and a 16 game schedule before anyone did it)
QB: John Elway (Craig Morton if I was required to vote for someone other then the obvious)
RB: Terrel Davis (No thinking required)
RB: Floyd Little (only OJ Simpson rushed for more yards during his playing carrer. How is he not in the HOF?)

Defense
DE: Simon Fletcher (Note that all...)
DT: Trevor Pryce (...for of my DLs...)
DT: Paul Smith (...were the best at...)
DE: Rick Jackson (...sacking the QB)
LB: Karl Mecklenburg (No thinking required)
LB: Randy Gradishar (No thinking required)
LB: Al Wilson (Our last great LB)
CB: Louis Wright (Childhood favorite)
CB: Champ Bailey (Didn't realize just how good he is until I read his bio and stats)
S: Steve Atwater (No thinking required)
S: Dennis Smith (Childhood favorite)

Special Teams
K: Jason Elam (He was just so reliable)
P: Luke Prestridge (Because he was never blocked)
R: Rick Upchurch (8 PRs for TD, enough said)

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I could not complete it as I could not see the right side of the screen to get at the WR RT CB or LB..

any one with any ideas?

horsepig
06-06-2009, 07:05 PM
QB: some guy named Elway
TB: TD
FB Keyworth
WR: Rod Smith
WR: Lionel Taylor
TE: Sharpe
C: Nalen
G: Schlereth
G: Paul Howard
T: Zim
T: Tony Jones

ST's
K: Elam
P: Billy VanHuessen (sp?)
KR: Upchurch

S: Atwater
S: Billy Thompson
C: Bailey
C: Louie Wright
MLB: Gradishar
OLB: TJ
OLB: Romo
DE: Rulon Jones (apologies to Alzado)
DT: Rubin Carter
DT: Paul Smith
DE: "Tombstone" Jackson

Pretty good team w/o some guys like Little and Mecklenburg and McCaffrey.

broncofaninfla
06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I liked Steve Watson a lot but Taylor or McCaffery should rank ahead of him IMO

FanInAZ
06-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I liked Steve Watson...

Watson was another childhood favorate of mine. I just could not use adult wisdom to put him on my first team. However, I could see him as my #4 or 5 receiver.

horsepig
06-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I liked Steve Watson a lot but Taylor or McCaffery should rank ahead of him IMO

Man, BF, Watson did have a way of making those-"Oh, My God, watch this!" type plays.

BroncoTech
06-06-2009, 11:29 PM
I have to agree somewhat, it was tough leaving Eddy Mac, L Taylor, A Wilson and D Smith off my team. When I started the selections I thought Eddy Mac and Rod would be my picks, it was tough leaving him out.

FanInAZ
06-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Man, BF, Watson did have a way of making those-"Oh, My God, watch this!" type plays.

It first time I notice Watson was in '81 in a home game against the Chiefs. We were pinned on our own 1 yard line so Morton was only able to do about a 3 step drop back. He threw the ball as far as he could and the camera followed the path of the ball. As it started to drop, Watson came into view slitting 2 Chiefs DBs. The play went for about 80 yards. The most amazing thing is that you would think that only a speed receive could do something like that. Watson was no speed demon, he just found a way to get it done.

horsepig
06-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah Fan, I remember a couple more almost like that against the Sparklers too.

BroncoTech
06-07-2009, 12:39 AM
I remember Eddy Mac in Oakland Monday night. I had 7th row seats near the end zone of the black hole. Eddy lines up on my side, far right, it was almost like I could reach out and touch him. We're on their 35 or 30. Eddy fakes like he wants the corner then runs an in at the goal line. I see Elway rear back and fire a canon and I'm thinking nobody wants to get in the way of that. It's a frozen rope no higher than 6 feet, for 35 yards right to Eddy for the touchdown. He split defenders and was wide open. I was like wow. I acted like I was disgusted so I wouldn't get beat up. Welcome to Oakland.

sneakers
06-07-2009, 06:54 AM
That was fun!

I picked Glyn Milbern as my KR

pnbronco
09-02-2009, 04:13 PM
The voting end on Friday so if you have not please take a few minutes to do so.