PDA

View Full Version : Owners' threat pinches free-agent field

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 02:51 AM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/06/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 06/06/2009 01:21:27 AM MDT

The class of 2006 may have picked a bad year to become arguably the best draft class in Broncos history.

Broncos have 5 players caught in the system who instead of receiving
a windfall thru UFA in 2010 may have to sign a maximum 1 year $3.043mil
as RFA. Klis compares what they could make with a stellar 2009 through UFA..

Player 2009 salary future 4yrs
marshall 2.2 36mil
kuper 1.01 16mil
orton 995K 40mil over 5 yrs..
scheffler 535K 18mil
Doomerville 535K 24mil

A glitch in the NFL's reopened collective bargaining agreement has left 270 NFL players — including star pass-rushers DeMarcus Ware of the Dallas Cowboys and San Diego's Shawne Merriman and such prominent Broncos as 2006 draftees Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Chris Kuper and Elvis Dumervil, and newcomer quarterback Kyle Orton, staring at the money-losing proposition of not becoming qualified for unrestricted free agency after this season.

"It's the equivalent of the Social Security notch babies," said agent Joe Linta, referring to how people born between 1917-22 have received fewer benefits than those born before and after that period. "These guys were born in the wrong year."

Under the CBA agreement the NFL had been operating under, players were eligible for free agency after their fourth season.

But NFL owners believe allocating 60 percent of revenues to players is too much and want a new deal.

In a strategic ploy to force the players' union to the bargaining table, the owners exercised their right to essentially void the current agreement after this season.

While the players generally were satisfied with the current CBA, the most notable fallout from operating without a contract is unrestricted free-agent eligibility moves from after a fourth season to after the sixth.

Instead of hitting the open market, fourth- and fifth-year players — most of whom were drafted in 2006 and 2005, respectively — would be locked into restricted free agency.

"I would expect the union would feel pressure from its membership coming from this subset of players, the players who are going to be restricted who would otherwise be unrestricted," agent Tom Mills said. "They would be very motivated to see the union strike a deal."

One of Mills' clients is Bo Scaife, a Tennessee tight end and former Mullen High School star, who could take the backward step from free agency as a fourth-year player this year to restricted free agency as a fifth-year player next year.

The difference between restricted and unrestricted free agency?

"If you're a fifth-year quarterback and you made the Pro Bowl, you could be looking at playing for $2.4 million when you should be getting $40 million upfront," Linta said.

Unwittingly, Linta was describing the potential situation for Orton. He's a fifth-year quarterback thrilled about playing in the offensive system new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels brought with him from the high-powered New England Patriots.

If Orton has a Matt Cassel-type season for the Broncos in 2009, he could easily command a multiyear contract starting at $8 million per year through free agency.

But if a new CBA is not reached, Orton would be restricted to a one-year, $3.043 million deal should the Broncos give him the highest tender, $2.396 million if he gets the next-highest tender.

"I pay my agent to think about all that stuff," Orton said. "I don't worry about it. We make a lot of money, anyway."

It's all relative. To most Americans, the $2.198 million Marshall will receive this season and the $3.043 million he could get as a high-tendered restricted free agent next season is great money. But after back-to-back, 100-catch seasons, Marshall is a tremendous value compared to the four-year, $37.25 million contract the Buffalo Bills gave to Lee Evans, who had 88 fewer catches the past two seasons.

The prospect of impending restricted free agency is near the root of Marshall's discontent with his contract. He left the team two weeks ago to continue his rehabilitation from hip surgery in Orlando, Fla.

If a new deal will bring him back, Marshall may be playing for the wrong team. Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is co-chairman of the NFL's labor committee that reopened the CBA and essentially put the squeeze on next year's group of fourth- and fifth-year players.

"We'll do the best we can once there's an agreement, or once we know there's not an agreement," McDaniels said. "Until then, we'll do business as business is supposed to be done."

"Marshall's a perfect example of the group of players who are all in their prime who are champing at the bit to get their one big contract," Mills said. "And this CBA uncertainty is affecting them more than anybody else."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12532666?source=rss

as I have said all along follow teh money..

ahahahahahahahahahaha

Davii
06-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Can I vote both?

I think it is about the injury, but Marshall is not a complete idiot even if he acts like one.

He saw what happened with Jay, and realizes if he plays it right McD will either bend and acquiecse to avoid it happening again, or trade him off where he will wind up getting the $ he wants....

Nomad
06-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Contract!!!!

BroncoTech
06-06-2009, 08:08 AM
You've got areas like Flint Michigan where 40% of the houses are vacant. Imagine living in an area where almost half the homes are empty then expecting homeless people to purchase $70 tickets to see the Lions.

Watch a NASCAR event and try to spot a spectator in the stands, there are huge empty sections. Attendance has to be less than 50% of previous years.

My friend's well established auto body shop in Oakland has watched his business drop to 10% of what it used to be. That's a full 90% drop in business.

No doubt the NFL is hugely popular, but eventually the economy is going to dictate that salaries cant keep going up, up and up. The factors affecting this economy are real. It's a poor time to ask for a raise and a good time to be thankful you still have a job.

roomemp
06-06-2009, 08:49 AM
You've got areas like Flint Michigan where 40% of the houses are vacant. Imagine living in an area where almost half the homes are empty then expecting homeless people to purchase $70 tickets to see the Lions.

Watch a NASCAR event and try to spot a spectator in the stands, there are huge empty sections. Attendance has to be less than 50% of previous years.

My friend's well established auto body shop in Oakland has watched his business drop to 10% of what it used to be. That's a full 90% drop in business.

No doubt the NFL is hugely popular, but eventually the economy is going to dictate that salaries cant keep going up, up and up. The factors affecting this economy are real. It's a poor time to ask for a raise and a good time to be thankful you still have a job.

Its time these kids face reality.

Nomad
06-06-2009, 09:07 AM

I agree! Remember you're dealing with the union. My mother-in-law said the Mariner's games have been far from saleouts and fans aren't coming to games even on the weekends. We'll find out this fall how the economy has effected the NFL and fans in the stands.

UnderArmour
06-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Honestly, why would any NFL player trust our training staff after last season? Hell, look at the way Al was cleared to go out there and play again before that.

BroncoTech
06-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Before Budwiser was sold overseas they used to advertise on TV. When is the last time you saw a Bud ad? These foreign companies wont put a penny back into the company.

They've busted the unions and sent the jobs overseas and allowed the foreign workers to take the remaining jobs left over here and those people send their money back home.

So after selling out the middle class who is going to buy a ticket? I think Denver fans will but here in Oakland where attendance was pretty sketch to begin with..

Yeah my buddy's auto body shop used to sponsor about 20 little league teams. Now none.

Honestly, why would any NFL player trust our training staff after last season? Hell, look at the way Al was cleared to go out there and play again before that.

yep the whole conditioning staff was held over through all this wasn't it?

Nomad
06-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Who is he using in Florida? I can understand not wanting to use the BRONCOS training staff, but you mean to tell me that Florida has better rehabs than Colorado. He could have went to a different rehab in the Denver area and stayed close to the team.:whoknows:

Nomad
06-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Before Budwiser was sold overseas they used to advertise on TV. When is the last time you saw a Bud ad? These foreign companies wont put a penny back into the company.

They've busted the unions and sent the jobs overseas and allowed the foreign workers to take the remaining jobs left over here and those people send their money back home.

So after selling out the middle class who is going to buy a ticket? I think Denver fans will but here in Oakland where attendance was pretty sketch to begin with..

Yeah my buddy's auto body shop used to sponsor about 20 little league teams. Now none.

yep the whole conditioning staff was held over through all this wasn't it?

Not to turn this political, but are you saying the unions are the bad guys or victims???

BroncoTech
06-06-2009, 10:17 AM
The unions are comprised of the middle class, both of which are getting screwed. They busted the unions and hired illegal workers, my buddy's body shop included. My buddy busted the union his dad started, trying to remain competitive. He hired illegals, trying to remain competitive. Everyone else did the same and there is no longer a middle class that can afford to buy his product. It's what it boils down to.

If you ever get a chance check out how walmart operates in a documentary called 'The high cost of low prices'.

dogfish
06-06-2009, 12:45 PM
JR, what's the point in speculating when we simply don't enough enough information to make anything beyond a complete guess? if he is planning to hold out, we'll know soon enough-- no point piling on the guy until then. . . .

BroncoWave
06-06-2009, 12:51 PM
JR, what's the point in speculating when we simply don't enough enough information to make anything beyond a complete guess? if he is planning to hold out, we'll know soon enough-- no point piling on the guy until then. . . .

Haven't you heard? With Mikey and Jayboy gone, Marshall has assumed the spot of JR's whipping boy! :D

underrated29
06-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Let me guess to jr. We jr we havent signed any of our draft picks yet because pat is out of money. And the draftees are holding out because they need to get all the guaranteed money they can now as the cba is about to expire.....

Sometimes ahkems razor makes sense.

The simplist explanation is often the correct one.

Simple Jaded
06-06-2009, 02:06 PM
It's hard to believe that it's taken people over a year to figure out that Brandon Marshall would get screwed in free agency.......

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 02:20 PM

And why do you think that just because he is in DEN rehabbing it HAS to be at DOVE valley.. and even if he did his rehab program is pretty much set up by his doctors all he has to do is follow their instructions while he he here then when he goes back to FL for a check up or when he sees his surgeon that is IN COLORADO they can check it out..

Folks this is not brain surgery repetitions are the same whether in DEN or Florida..

and IF he can;t do this in DEN what did he do when he was at the mandatory camp and what will he do next week at the next one..

Do you really think the Broncos doctors cleared Al because mike told them to or because maybe Al wanted to get back on the field early.. there might be two sides to this story also..

This is coming from someone that has been VERY critical of mike and tuten etal.. I'm not making excuses for him trust me, just thinking there is more to it than mike telling the doctors to clear him..

If he was told he could not play why did he try to catch on with several other NFL teams.. MAYBE he was a warrior and could not give it up yet..

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 02:24 PM

just priming the pump since everyone want to keep their head in the sand and
will act surprised when this next episode rears its ugly head..

someone needs to be a pathfinder..

UnderArmour
06-06-2009, 02:28 PM
And why do you think that just because he is in DEN rehabbing it HAS to be at DOVE valley.. and even if he did his rehab program is pretty much set up by his doctors all he has to do is follow their instructions while he he here then when he goes back to FL for a check up or when he sees his surgeon that is IN COLORADO they can check it out..

Folks this is not brain surgery repetitions are the same whether in DEN or Florida..

and IF he can;t do this in DEN what did he do when he was at the mandatory camp and what will he do next week at the next one..

Do you really think the Broncos doctors cleared Al because mike told them to or because maybe Al wanted to get back on the field early.. there might be two sides to this story also..

This is coming from someone that has been VERY critical of mike and tuten etal.. I'm not making excuses for him trust me, just thinking there is more to it than mike telling the doctors to clear him..

If he was told he could not play why did he try to catch on with several other NFL teams.. MAYBE he was a warrior and could not give it up yet..

...I'm sorry, what? Where do you think the world class rehab centers are? They are in the vacation destinations of California and Florida. This whole argument "well there are other rehab places in Colorado!" is BS. Florida and California do have better facilities for rehabilitation and training, there is no question whatsoever about this. Marshall isn't going to hold out, he's going to report to camp on time. This is a non-issue.

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Let me guess to jr. We jr we havent signed any of our draft picks yet because pat is out of money. And the draftees are holding out because they need to get all the guaranteed money they can now as the cba is about to expire.....

I would guess that Pat is not as broke as one would seem to think.. But he is not rolling in dough either..

I have not heard about any draftees holding out have you?

I'd guess that this will force the NFLPA to settle faster than most folks thought they would as the normal life span of NFL players is about 4.5 years or so with many of them coming up fast on the forth year and many more on year 3 where many teams redo contracts before the layers get to a contract year and ultimately FA status..

Now I would think the owners will not move any faster than they have to NOR will they be re doing contracts soon.. the ball is in their court and they are now looking to were they are going to serve it and how fast..

as the class on 06 is now finding out they are gonna get screwed very soon..

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 02:39 PM
...I'm sorry, what? Where do you think the world class rehab centers are? They are in the vacation destinations of California and Florida. This whole argument "well there are other rehab places in Colorado!" is BS. Florida and California do have better facilities for rehabilitation and training, there is no question whatsoever about this. Marshall isn't going to hold out, he's going to report to camp on time. This is a non-issue.

your telling me that there are NO great REHAB places in DEN.. do not fool yourself about that> There may not be a lot of them in DEN but it is not bereft in them either and frankly at this point in his rehab he does not need the best in the world.. the heavy lifting is done and now it is less doctor intensive and more repetition intensive. next week IF he comes in for the mandatory camp what is he gona do to rehab fly to FL.. or when TC starts fly back nd forth?

Come on folks open your eyes it is not about rehabbing but sending a message to Josh that he wants a new contract NOW before he becomes a RFA..

it is all about the money do not fool yourself..

broncofanatic1987
06-06-2009, 07:15 PM
It's hard to believe that it's taken people over a year to figure out that Brandon Marshall would get screwed in free agency.......:rolleyes:

How is Marshall getting screwed?

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 07:23 PM
:rolleyes:

How is Marshall getting screwed?

if they do not get a CBA in effect by the time he is a UFA he is a RFA for up to two years thereafter .. Instead of him getting a 7-8 mill per year contract the RFA are about 3 mill..

while 3+mil a year is nothing to sneeze at some folks think they are worth worth than that..

broncofanatic1987
06-06-2009, 07:30 PM
if they do not get a CBA in effect by the time he is a UFA he is a RFA for up to two years thereafter .. Instead of him getting a 7-8 mill per year contract the RFA are about 3 mill..

while 3+mil a year is nothing to sneeze at some folks think they are worth worth than that..

That doesn't amount to him getting screwed though.

It's certainly in his best interest for the NFLPA and the owners to come to an agreement, but he's still going to be making a lot of money if they don't.

If anything, he may have screwed himself by constantly getting into trouble. If he didn't have any legal issues, maybe he would already have a new contract.

horsepig
06-06-2009, 08:25 PM

I could care less. My point is that he should be in Denver getting the "lay of the land".

Mo called me a dumb ass because rehab players are never in these "voluntary" camps. BS!

If BM wants to be a huge part of this NEW offense he should have his butt in Denver!

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 09:29 PM

It's certainly in his best interest for the NFLPA and the owners to come to an agreement, but he's still going to be making a lot of money if they don't.

If anything, he may have screwed himself by constantly getting into trouble. If he didn't have any legal issues, maybe he would already have a new contract.

Wow a realistic truth teller.. hooray for you to think like someone that has he head screwed on straight..

I was commenting on how most of the younger fans think.. thats because he is supposedly entitled to make big bucks "the MAN" is screwing him because they manipulated the contract to work out for them...

while the uneducated cretin that has one skill catching a football or out running the gang following him should be making a gazillion dollars..

but then to mere mortals that are paying this morons salary 3.1 mill is a hell of alot of money.. to him he is entitled to much more..

BUT then as you rationally mentioned had he not done all of these stupid things he probably would have had a new contract LAST year..

Lonestar
06-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I could care less. My point is that he should be in Denver getting the "lay of the land".

Mo called me a dumb ass because rehab players are never in these "voluntary" camps. BS!

If BM wants to be a huge part of this NEW offense he should have his butt in Denver!

:salute:

yep it is clear to any one without there head up there rectum he does not want to be in DEN rehab or not..

there is only one thing this trying to do send a message to Josh..

BM thinks it is about getting a new contract and Josh is thinking if this ass clown does not think he needs to be here to learn this complex scheme and be part of the team well I guess I now KNOW what his priority is..

that folks is the signal the NEW BOSS is getting..:salute:

horsepig
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
My feeling is that BM deserves a pretty damned nice contract. We've had him basically for free the last 2 years.

Give him half of Mike's unearned salary the next 2 years, plus a "little" more.

I'd take what he makes now and frickin retire. I do not begrudge him making "par" though.

UnderArmour
06-07-2009, 12:20 PM
your telling me that there are NO great REHAB places in DEN.. do not fool yourself about that> There may not be a lot of them in DEN but it is not bereft in them either and frankly at this point in his rehab he does not need the best in the world.. the heavy lifting is done and now it is less doctor intensive and more repetition intensive. next week IF he comes in for the mandatory camp what is he gona do to rehab fly to FL.. or when TC starts fly back nd forth?

Come on folks open your eyes it is not about rehabbing but sending a message to Josh that he wants a new contract NOW before he becomes a RFA..

it is all about the money do not fool yourself..

Yes. That's exactly what I'm telling you. How many times do you hear pro athletes venturing into Colorado for rehab and treatment? He's going to report to mandatory camp, so what does it matter?

Lonestar
06-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Yes. That's exactly what I'm telling you. How many times do you hear pro athletes venturing into Colorado for rehab and treatment? He's going to report to mandatory camp, so what does it matter?

jsut as there are lots of them in fla there are good to great ones in DEN jsut not as many of them.. there are no Beaches in DEN and it gets cold during the winter..

Sports Physical Therapy - University of Colorado HospitalOur team at CU Sports Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation offers state of the art physical therapy and rehabilitation services in a caring and committed ...
www.uch.edu/conditions/rehabilitation-therapy/physical-therapy/cu-sports-physical-therapy/ - Cached - Similar pages

Spectrum Rehabilitation, Colorado Springs Physical Therapy- Home PageSpectrum Rehabilitation provides excellent clinical care and offers some of the best ... of physical therapy and rehabilitation to Colorado Springs as possible. ... Sports Medicine. · Peripheral Neuropathy. · Musculoskeletal/Spine Care ...

Show map of 4020 Palmer Park Blvd # 101C, Colorado Springs, CO 80909

www.spectrumrehab.net/ - Cached - Similar pages

Physical Therapy Program--University of Colorado DenverPhysical Therapy Program at the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center.
Entry Level DPT - Job Postings - Transition DPT - News and Events
www.uchsc.edu/pt/ - Cached - Similar pages

Colorado Physical Therapy InstituteColorado Physical Therapy Institute, Rehabilitation Specialists for Orthopedic, Sports & Work Injuries. Privately owned since 1987.
www.coloradopti.com/ - Cached - Similar pages

Physical Rehabilitation Network - Colorado ClinicsPhysical Therapy Sports Rehabilitation Women's Health ... Action Potential Physical Therapy 104 Pro Rodeo Dr., Suite 110. Colorado Springs, CO 80919 ...
www.prnpt.com/locations/colorado.php - Cached - Similar pages

Denver Rehab Physical Therapy - Spalding Rehabilitation , Stroke ...Denver Rehabilitation Hospital - Spalding Rehab, Stroke recovery rehabilitation, ... Outpatient Rehabilitation, Inpatient rehab, Health Healthcare, Colorado. ... Please Choose --, Aging and Health, Alternative Health, Sports and Fitness ...
www.spaldingrehab.com/ - Cached - Similar pages
CU Sports Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation, Denver CO 80222CU Sports

Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation is a University of Colorado Hopsital clinic. Their brand new location is located in The Colorado Center, ...
www.merchantcircle.com/business/CU.Sports.Physical.Therapy.And.Rehabilitation.720-848-8208 - Cached - Similar pages

Peak Form Physical Therapy Clinic: Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation ...Mar 12, 2009 ... Physical Therapy Clinic in Boulder, Colorado: Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation, post surgical therapy, massage therapy, treatment of work ...
www.peakformpt.com/ - Cached - Similar pages

Next Level Sports Performance | Golden, Colorado | Physical ...Physical therapy and rehabilitation clients of all types can progress from early rehabilitation regimens to advanced sport-specific protocols. ...
www.nextlevelsppt.com/physical-therapy-rehab.html - Cached - Similar pages

Alpine Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation Center - Winter ...Alpine Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation Center company profile in Winter Park, CO. Our free company profile report for Alpine Physical Therapy ...
www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_jgyn2b - Cached - Similar pages

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sports+physical+therapy+rehabilitation+colorado&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Sports Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation:
Premier Physical Therapy Services in Denver
Your Path to Wellness and Recovery Starts Here
Does nagging or debilitating pain prevent you from doing the activities you enjoy?
Have you had a recent surgery and now need rehabilitation?
Has your doctor told you that you need physical therapy?
Being part of University of Colorado Hospital – as well as our affiliation with CU Sports Medicine – makes us one of the premier physical therapy facilities in Denver. People from up and down the front range of Colorado come to us for physical therapy services.

Rehabilitation Therapy: Philosophy of Care
In 2007, the agency Trust for America's Health ranked Colorado the "thinnest state in the nation." Coloradoans don't just know the benefits of regular exercise – they're out there doing it. But when you're injured – or coming back from an injury – you want trustworthy, expert help to get you back on track quickly and safely.

Our team at Sports Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation offers state of the art therapy services in a caring and committed environment. We focus on your education and your active participation in therapy, to restore as soon as possible your independence and a healthy level of activity.
Please note that you need a referral from your doctor to receive physical therapy or occupational therapy at this clinic.

How We Help
Here's a sampling of what we offer at Sports Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation:

Hour-long evaluations or half-hour appointments that give you the personal attention you need
Comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of your condition, made possible through University of Colorado Hospital resources and our partnership with CU Sports Medicine
Highly trained medical professionals providing personal, one-on-one care
Advanced assessment and training tools that facilitate a speedy recovery
Minimal billing hassles – we accept most medical insurance plans
Specialty Services Offered by Sports Physical Therapy
Surgical rehab
Injury rehab
Spine rehab
Post-rehab – return to sports
Exercise physiology
Injury prevention programs
Rehab for the youth athlete
Strength / Biodex testing
Dartfish video analysis
Pilates rehab and analysis
Hand therapy
Come in and see us to get the best physical therapy services in the Denver metro area!

BTW some of the best sports related surgeons are in Colorado..

Lonestar
06-07-2009, 03:55 PM

so I ask where is he going to rehab while he is here in DEN while he is at the camp..

and was that not the same mantra we heard from jay before he came and did not attend that camp..

sorry but when he shows up I'll believe it.. knowing him he will be in jail that weekend..

Elevation inc
06-08-2009, 04:24 AM
I vote......

marshall asked for a raise so he wants more money obviously, but his rehab in orlando is just that REHAB!!!!

if he holds out from minicamp he is just being stupid.......we can talk more then....

Simple Jaded
06-08-2009, 07:28 PM
If you're not getting unrestricted free agent status until after your 6th year in the NFL when everybody before got it after 4 years, you are getting screwed, that goes for anybody from the 2006 class.

Regardless of Marshall's stupidity, had the owners not wiped their ass with the old CBA, Marshall, Scheffler, Dumervil and Kuper would all be unrestricted free agents in February 2010.

The pretentious "They'll still make a lot of money" nonsense changes nothing, and even if they have a new CBA in place by Feb 2010, that new CBA may not lower the threshold back to 4 years, there is still a very good chance that they may not see unrestricted free agency until after their 6th season.

Personally, I couldn't less, but when/if these players talk about getting screwed, it's because they're getting screwed.

And btw, Broncos fans better hope they do, because I see no reason to believe that this organization has any chance of keeping all of them. Worst case scenario, this time next year you could be trying to convince yourselves that it's not about the players and that the Broncos are somehow better off without them.......Again.......

rcsodak
06-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Were you drunk when you typed this?

wh....huh???? :confused:

rcsodak
06-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Jr, to be fair, all the FA/RFA stuff means, is instead of him being on the open market going to the highest bidder,he'll more than likely be a Bronco. And if he continues to excel ON the field, and keeps his nose clean OFF the field, then there's really no reason to think that he won't make good money where he's at.

Just because McD's in Denver, don't mistake the FO for NE's. Pat has always taken care of his superstars. It just needs to be decided if he's worth it

Lonestar
06-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Jr, to be fair, all the FA/RFA stuff means, is instead of him being on the open market going to the highest bidder,he'll more than likely be a Bronco. And if he continues to excel ON the field, and keeps his nose clean OFF the field, then there's really no reason to think that he won't make good money where he's at.

Just because McD's in Denver, don't mistake the FO for NE's. Pat has always taken care of his superstars. It just needs to be decided if he's worth it

Hey I agree nothing will change all that much until we are able to get backups in place that can fill that void for a heck of alot less money..

The good consistent teams manage their money that ways.. Paying 3-4 guys market value and getting the rest under rookies contracts and old timers at vet min..

hell under mike we never had drafted players long enough to get a second contract..

will be nice for a change to build the team via the draft..

rcsodak
06-09-2009, 03:10 AM

I think you're right...

...as I recall, they WERE in discussions, about the time his latest run-in, albeit short, occurred. At that point, talks ended because the team decided to wait and see what happened. No use paying somebody a huge signing bonus to have him riding the bench for X days.

broncofanatic1987
06-09-2009, 11:50 AM
If you're not getting unrestricted free agent status until after your 6th year in the NFL when everybody before got it after 4 years, you are getting screwed, that goes for anybody from the 2006 class.

Regardless of Marshall's stupidity, had the owners not wiped their ass with the old CBA, Marshall, Scheffler, Dumervil and Kuper would all be unrestricted free agents in February 2010.

The pretentious "They'll still make a lot of money" nonsense changes nothing, and even if they have a new CBA in place by Feb 2010, that new CBA may not lower the threshold back to 4 years, there is still a very good chance that they may not see unrestricted free agency until after their 6th season.

Personally, I couldn't less, but when/if these players talk about getting screwed, it's because they're getting screwed.

And btw, Broncos fans better hope they do, because I see no reason to believe that this organization has any chance of keeping all of them. Worst case scenario, this time next year you could be trying to convince yourselves that it's not about the players and that the Broncos are somehow better off without them.......Again.......

No one is getting screwed. The owners were within their rights to abandon the CBA because the CBA gave them the authority to do so. The players agreed to it so that means they aren't getting screwed. Just because they say they're getting screwed, it doesn't mean it's true.

If you think the players are going to stand for the free agency threshold to remain at 6 with a new CBA, you're nuts. Why would they agree to it? Why would the owners even think they could get the players to agree to it? The whole reason for the owners abandoning the CBA was to get a bigger piece of the revenue pie. Why would they attempt to raise the FA threshold when that would just give the players a reason to hold out to keep their percentage of the revenue at nearly 60%?

The owners are going to have give up stuff to get what they want, if they want to keep things amicable so as to not risk a work stoppage. The only way they are going to gain anything besides a bigger piece of the pie is if they strong arm the players. That could lead to a work stoppage, either by strike or by lockout. Either one would only hurt the league in terms of relationships with the fans, advertisers, and television networks.

Lonestar
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
No one is getting screwed. The owners were within their rights to abandon the CBA because the CBA gave them the authority to do so. The players agreed to it so that means they aren't getting screwed. Just because they say they're getting screwed, it doesn't mean it's true.

If you think the players are going to stand for the free agency threshold to remain at 6 with a new CBA, you're nuts. Why would they agree to it? Why would the owners even think they could get the players to agree to it? The whole reason for the owners abandoning the CBA was to get a bigger piece of the revenue pie. Why would they attempt to raise the FA threshold when that would just give the players a reason to hold out to keep their percentage of the revenue at nearly 60%?

The owners are going to have give up stuff to get what they want, if they want to keep things amicable so as to not risk a work stoppage. The only way they are going to gain anything besides a bigger piece of the pie is if they strong arm the players. That could lead to a work stoppage, either by strike or by lockout. Either one would only hurt the league in terms of relationships with the fans, advertisers, and television networks.

got to remember in todays society all rich folks screwed Little poor folks to get all their money therefore they should have to give it all back..

most folks do not realize that many earned it via hard work or inherited it and made even more money than they had before..

They also fail to understand they have paid a hell of a lot of TAXES on it..

When Pat has done so much for DEN by keeping the Broncos here they are not Happy he has invested in them, the city, and the fans.. it is just a money grab for Pat as he wants more..

Thanks to Pat we have Two Lombardi's that we would not have had if he had not spent a BUNCH of money getting them.. and the Broncos would most likely be playing in some other city by now..