PDA

View Full Version : Learning As They Go

Denver Native (Carol)
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
On the following link, Knowshon speaks to media today

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9079

By Zach Eisendrath
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Only two players in University of Georgia history have produced back-to-back 1,000 yard rushing seasons. One is College Football Hall of Famer and Heisman Trophy Winner Herschel Walker.

The other is Knowshon Moreno.

It's an exclusive group to be in -- especially considering the fact that the Bulldogs have churned out other NFL running backs such as Terrell Davis and Garrison Hearst.

Moreno's impressive career with the Bulldogs has been well documented. But before he was hurdling over defenders, juking his way through defenses and putting up gaudy numbers seemingly every Saturday, Moreno was on the sideline -- paying his dues and waiting his turn.

"Going into Georgia, I had three running backs in front of me. One guy left and unfortunately some people got hurt, and that's how I came up in the depth chart," Moreno said Friday following practice. "Besides that, I've always been behind people and tried to work my way up."

Now, the Broncos' 2009 first overall selection finds himself in a similar situation. With running backs Peyton Hillis and Ryan Torain returning from last season and the free agent acquisitions of Correll Buckhalter, LaMont Jordan and Darius Walker -- plus the signing of college free agent Kestahn Moore -- Moreno finds himself in a very crowded and competitive backfield.

In some instances, players drafted as high as Moreno - the 12th overall selection - may feel a sense of entitlement and expect to start right away.

But the 21-year-old, albeit confident in his own ability, isn't thinking about playing time yet. Right now he is too busy learning the NFL game from running backs coach Bobby Turner and his veteran counterparts. He studies their tendencies, from the way they carry the ball and run routes to how they pass protect and read defenses.

"They know what to do," Moreno said. "You definitely watch them and then learn and when you get out there, try to do the same thing."

Through eight days of passing camp, Moreno says he is starting to grasp Head Coach Josh McDaniels' offensive system, although he admits at times his head is "still spinning a little bit." He believes he has plenty of room for improvement, but is confident he will have an impactful role on the team.

And he isn't afraid to share the load, either.

"I think a lot of guys in the backfield, in that room, can get the job done," he said. "Any snap, anyone in that room. I'm just trying to find my place and keep on learning."

Ayers to honor Wilson:

As a way to honor the legacy of former Bronco Al Wilson, rookie Robert Ayers has chosen to wear Wilson's No. 56 jersey.

Wilson, a standout linebacker for the orange and blue, was a two-time All-Pro selection and a five-time Pro Bowler during his tenure with the Broncos from 1999-2007.

That is reason enough for Ayers -- who will see time at linebacker -- to want to honor Wilson. But the two have another connection: both are University of Tennessee alums.

Originally, Ayers planned to wear his collegiate number, 91, which belongs to Ronald Fields. With that number taken, Ayers was offered No. 56. Recalling growing up watching Wilson play with reckless abandon each Sunday for the Broncos, Ayers thought it would be special to represent his fellow Volunteer. First, however, he wanted to get Wilson's blessing.

"I talked to him about having his number … he said it's always good to have a guy from Tennessee representing him," Ayers said. "And that's what I told him I'm going to try and do. I'm going to try to hold his number down and do my best I can. It's a big privilege to wear his number - as a Bronco and as Tennessee alum, he means a lot to me."

Despite wearing the same number as Wilson, Ayers said he won't try to emulate him. Instead, he plans on carving his own legacy in Bronco Country.

"I could never be an Al Wilson, whether I have his number or his cleats or whatever I put on of his," he said. "I'll never be another Al Wilson, I'm just going to try to be Robert Ayers, play my game, bring my type of intensity and do the things that I do well."

JONtheBRONCO
06-05-2009, 10:09 PM
God I miss Al Wilson. He was F****** awesome.