PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos have starting jobs at defensive tackle available again...

HORSEPOWER 56
05-27-2012, 06:27 PM
http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/pm_9105/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=PyMtmD52

Decent article from the Post (Lindsey Jones). I thought this excerpt was the most interesting part:

Kevin Vickerson wants Denver coaches and fans to see him as the player who can fill a void in the heart of the front line. For years, Vickerson's teammates have called him "Big Vick" — a nickname befitting a hulking, 6-foot-5 defensive lineman with a nasty streak that emerges on game day.

Vickerson said he didn't earn the nickname in 2011.

Hoping to better adapt to the Broncos' switch to a 4-3 defense, he slimmed down to about 275 pounds, believing a drop in weight would help him better chase down quarterbacks.

The result, though, was perhaps the most disappointing season of Vickerson's NFL career. He made only four starts and played in just five games before he wound up on season-ending injured reserve because of a bum ankle.

"Last year," Vickerson said, "I didn't feel like myself. Sometimes I was feeling I was too light, and I couldn't anchor down at the point of attack. I couldn't do the things I needed to do to hold my own."

In the seven months since Vickerson last played in a game, he has transformed his body again. He said he truly feels like a defensive tackle again. Vickerson weighed in at 324 pounds last week, a nearly 50-pound increase from last fall.

"It's good weight, as you can see," Vickerson said, laughing as he pulled up the sleeve of his gray Broncos T-shirt.

Looks like Vickerson has bulked back up to a decent playing weight for a NT. Hopefully, he'll be able to anchor better and improve vs the run this year.

topscribe
05-27-2012, 07:25 PM
What was encouraging is that, in gaining all that weight, Vickerson actually lost body fat . . .

dogfish
05-28-2012, 12:38 AM
not super impressed with the guy, but this is at least a little encouraging. . . i thought it was really stupid when i read that they had him lose all that weight in the first place, so i'm glad he's put it back on-- as good weight, reportedly. . . we need somebody to hold the point, and a body bigger than three bills even is preferable in that role. . . i won't get too excited, but i thought he showed some flashes of being able to anchor down effectively when he was at five-tech a couple years ago. . . we'll see. . .

dogfish
05-28-2012, 12:39 AM
we need to get cugel's opinion-- this is right in his wheelhouse. . .

:D

Simple Jaded
05-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Nick Fairley in trouble again, I'd see if he's available. How would a 10 point lead look with Miller, Fairley, Wolfe and Dumervil lining up in obvious passing situations? He looks like Big Worm from Friday.......

dogfish
05-28-2012, 02:56 AM
"What's up Big Perrrrm??! I mean, Big Worm. . . "

MOtorboat
05-28-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't think Detroit is going to give up on Fairley after one year, even with legal problems and a likely suspension.

That said, Denver has to find something in the middle. It really is that one spot where you just kind of shake your head when you think about who's on the roster right now.

Chef Zambini
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
... and the safety right behind them.

MOtorboat
05-28-2012, 09:59 AM
... and the safety right behind them.

I'm not scratching my head about who's starting at safety. I have a pretty good idea that it will be Adams and Carter starting and Moore the first one off the bench. Whether or not that's a good combination is the question there.

At defensive tackle, we don't even have a clue who's going to start, nor even who's really in the rotation. I assume Vickerson, Wolfe and Bannan would be the leading candidates, but I really have no clue.

BORDERLINE
05-28-2012, 10:07 AM
And years later we are still looking for our STUD at the DT position...it might be Wolfe but so i'll HOLD my breath

turftoad
05-28-2012, 12:03 PM
The Broncos didn't draft Wolfe to be run stopper first. From what I've read they drafted him to collapse the pocket first and hope he can play the run half ass decent. Vickerson, at 320+ may be able to plug things up vs the run now.

Mannway187
05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
At 325lbs he should be able to absorb at least two blockers on passing downs. This will benefit the DE next to him and the LB behind him. At 325 he is going to be awfull tired of picking himself up off the ground play after play especially at home. I do like his attitude about earning his money on the feild and not in the training room though. He'll be playing for a new contract this year which hopefully brings out the beast. I hope he plays like Albert Hainesworth did his last year as a Titan.

TXBRONC
05-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Nick Fairley in trouble again, I'd see if he's available. How would a 10 point lead look with Miller, Fairley, Wolfe and Dumervil lining up in obvious passing situations? He looks like Big Worm from Friday.......

He was a top fifteen pick just one year ago so I don't think the Lions have any plans of giving on him so quickly.

TXBRONC
05-28-2012, 02:57 PM
we need to get cugel's opinion-- this is right in his wheelhouse. . .

:D

Today is his day to be out on the street with his sign "The world will end tomorrow" in hand.

Simple Jaded
05-28-2012, 08:21 PM
"What's up Big Perrrrm??! I mean, Big Worm. . . "
Debo and Big Perm on the same team, Championship.......

Dean
05-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Let's see. He gained almost fifty pounds while decreasing his body fat %. That means over 25 pounds of lean muscle mass in less than one yearfrom a person that already lifts on a regular basis.

I am either throwing the BS card or looking for the juice.