PDA

View Full Version : Knowshon Moreno fighting for spot with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
05-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Knowshon Moreno is working his way back from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in 2011, but where he'll play in 2012 remains in question.

The Broncos running back is "fighting for a roster spot," according to Lindsay Jones of The Denver Post. Appearing Friday on ESPN, Jones reported that Moreno was a participant at the team's organized team activities and struggling to stand out in a crowded backfield.

We've mentioned more than once this offseason that Moreno could be the odd man out in Denver. Willis McGahee remains the starter and Lance Ball was productive last season.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8295c468/article/knowshon-moreno-fighting-for-spot-with-broncos?module=HP11_headline_stack

gregbroncs
05-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I really don't like Ball. But just as much I doubt Moreno's ability after that injury. Particularly since he has not been consistently productive or injury free since joining the Broncos.

tomjonesrocks
05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Will be thrilled when they finally cut the dead weight that is Moreno.

topscribe
05-26-2012, 11:38 PM
I won't be surprised if we have seen the last of Moreno as a Bronco. There
isn't a thing he can do that Hillman can't do better, except pass blocking,
and that can be taught. And then there's that ACL. The article Carol cited
links to another article (http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/09000d5d826d092c/article/acl-surgery-research-shows-decline-in-running-back-stats) that shows that a RB, post-ACL, is usually never the
same.

And then there's the likes of Fannin and Jeremiah Johnson. Fannin is coming
back from his own injury, but he is bigger and faster than Moreno. It's just a
crowded backfield. Moreno has a real uphill battle, IMO . . .

MOtorboat
05-26-2012, 11:54 PM
If the Broncos go with a nothing undrafted talent, instead of a guy who has 2500 yard and 20 touchdowns, it would be a huge mistake.

dogfish
05-27-2012, 12:20 AM
i'm on record as not thinking much of moreno at all, but unless he gets hurt again or just isn't healthy, i will reluctantly admit that i can't see them cutting him now. . . although he's been pretty damn disappointing overall, he does at least have some NFL-caliber talent-- he's nothing close to resembling dynamic, but he's proven that he can be productive. . . doesn't make sense to cut him when we've finally installed an offense that will actually maximize what ability he has. . . mostly, being a receiver out of the backfield, and being a reliable safety valve. . . and he should do his best running on those shotgun delays, shovel passes and various screens that get him in the open field. . .

plus, we've paid most of his contract, he's cheap this year, and in his contract year he should be a little more motivated to ignore all those lingering vag sprains and run through it. . . we spent the draft pick, we may as well try to recoup a decent year out of him. . . hell, maybe it could even translate to a comp pick when he leaves. . . i know, don't hold your breath. . .

i'm not thrilled about it, but nobody's going to trade for him. . . if we'd signed tolbert or BJGE and still drafted a back, i'd be overjoyed to see moreno cut loose. . . i ain't sold on the likes of mario fannin, though. . .

shank
05-27-2012, 01:10 AM
i am off the moreno bandwagon (which i think just leaves u29) but he still has a place on this team. he will be a productive back this season.

dogfish
05-27-2012, 01:12 AM
i am off the moreno bandwagon (which i think just leaves u29) but he still has a place on this team. he will be a productive back this season.

U29, MO and that one georgia fan. . .

shank
05-27-2012, 01:14 AM
the only thing that really bumped me off the wagon was the DUI. he's a productive back on the field.

dogfish
05-27-2012, 01:53 AM
the only thing that really bumped me off the wagon was the DUI. he's a productive back on the field.

i don't like him much. . . he's productive almost in spite of himself-- always tripping over his feet right before he could have broken that four yards for thirty-four. . . he just doesn't have that killer instinct that the best backs have-- he's not aggressive attacking holes OR physically punishing defenders. . .

driving around with "sauced" plates is just the icing on the turd cake. . .

he'll get his chance to change people's perceptions this year-- we'll see if he comes out strong, or limps out of the gate. . .

Canmore
05-27-2012, 02:00 AM
i don't like him much. . . he's productive almost in spite of himself-- always tripping over his feet right before he could have broken that four yards for thirty-four. . . he just doesn't have that killer instinct that the best backs have-- he's not aggressive attacking holes OR physically punishing defenders. . .

driving around with "sauced" plates is just the icing on the turd cake. . .

he'll get his chance to change people's perceptions this year-- we'll see if he comes out strong, or limps out of the gate. . .

Or limps out of and to the training room.

ShaneFalco
05-27-2012, 03:14 AM
you guys are SAUCED

Canmore
05-27-2012, 03:20 AM
you guys are SAUCED

Lol.

dogfish
05-27-2012, 03:26 AM
you guys are SAUCED

only a little bit. . .

but i'd still call a cab, and i don't make quite as much scratch as glass hip moreno. . .

my field vision's probably almost as good, though. . . :heh:

Canmore
05-27-2012, 03:28 AM
only a little bit. . .

but i'd still call a cab, and i don't make quite as much scratch as glass hip moreno. . .

my field vision's probably almost as good, though. . . :heh:

Almost...I'm betting it's better.

rationalfan
05-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Funny. These comments about how good hillman is are probably similar to what was said about knowshon after he was drafted.

Also, knowshon isn't bad. He's just not the star people expect from a first rounder.

Chef Zambini
05-27-2012, 10:04 AM
If the Broncos go with a nothing undrafted talent, instead of a guy who has 2500 yard and 20 touchdowns, it would be a huge mistake.this is where you would accuse me of acting like i know more than the guys in charge and closest to the situation.
KM has under-acheived his entire career as a bronco. as a first round draftee he has fallen way short of expectations !
poor balance, poor vision.
I would be disapointed if we didnt have 3 guys better than KM on this team.

MOtorboat
05-27-2012, 10:09 AM
this is where you would accuse me of acting like i know more than the guys in charge and closest to the situation.
KM has under-acheived his entire career as a bronco. as a first round draftee he has fallen way short of expectations !

What was he supposed to be?

Cugel
05-27-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm on record as not thinking much of moreno at all, but unless he gets hurt again or just isn't healthy, i will reluctantly admit that i can't see them cutting him now. . . although he's been pretty damn disappointing overall, he does at least have some NFL-caliber talent-- he's nothing close to resembling dynamic, but he's proven that he can be productive. . . doesn't make sense to cut him when we've finally installed an offense that will actually maximize what ability he has. . . mostly, being a receiver out of the backfield, and being a reliable safety valve. . . and he should do his best running on those shotgun delays, shovel passes and various screens that get him in the open field. . .

plus, we've paid most of his contract, he's cheap this year, and in his contract year he should be a little more motivated to ignore all those lingering vag sprains and run through it. . . we spent the draft pick, we may as well try to recoup a decent year out of him. . . hell, maybe it could even translate to a comp pick when he leaves. . . i know, don't hold your breath. . .

i'm not thrilled about it, but nobody's going to trade for him. . . if we'd signed tolbert or BJGE and still drafted a back, i'd be overjoyed to see moreno cut loose. . . i ain't sold on the likes of mario fannin, though. . .

The problem for Moreno is that he's trying to come back from ACL surgery and wasn't that great to begin with BEFORE his injury.

Plus, Denver just moved up in the 3rd round to draft a RB. And John Elway says this about Hillman:

"To be able to have a weapon like Ronnie Hillman, he's a lot like a (Darren) Sproles (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8291bede/article/elway-hillman-brings-sproleslike-threat-to-broncos)," John Elway told Broncos season-ticket holders. "You can get great matchups ... (a) great change-of-pace back."

After the draft, Elway, the team's vice president of football operations, called the 5-foot-9 Hillman "electric," saying: "He's got a chance to make that big play."

While I think we can forget about comparing Hillman to Darren Sproles just yet, this is NOT what Moreno needs to hear.

Remember that Manning likes to go "no-huddle" a lot of the time, which means that the Broncos won't be substituting RBs as much as they might have in the past. That in turn means that Hillman might play more than he would otherwise, with McGahee getting whatever carries Hillman doesn't.

In that scenario it might take an injury to allow Moreno to see any action at all.

Plus, bringing in a bunch of RBs to compete in camp means that the team is looking to replace Moreno.

Elway has ZERO invested in Moreno, and as Dogfish points out, they've already paid him everything they have to.

That logic cuts both ways. One the one-hand he's cheap and they've already paid him a lot of money for nothing. It would be nice to get some return on their investment.

But, on the other hand, the moron who drafted him is long gone, and Fox & Elway aren't going to keep him on the roster unless he proves to be better than some scrub who's fighting for a job.

Moreno is basically coming in and competing against no-name nobodies for a roster spot, and right now its an uphill battle.

I'd say it's 60-40 at this point that he's the biggest cut in training camp and goes to some other team where he'll backup for a couple of seasons before washing out of the NFL. Just another major draft bust. :noidea:

Northman
05-27-2012, 10:39 AM
From a draft standpoint he is a bust, simple as that. Call it just overly hyped or bad luck with injuries but we missed on that pick. With that said i still maintain he can be a dangerous 3rd down weapon and i wouldnt be shocked at all that under Manning he would have a successful year. Can Hillman do the same? Maybe and most likely. I think it will come down to how much each player is getting paid. If Hillman can do the same things as Moreno for a lot less than it makes sense to cut ties with him now.

broncobryce
05-27-2012, 11:16 AM
He's in trouble for sure, especially if he isn't 100 percent healthy. Then again, when is he? I had high hopes for this guy and he plays well when he's there, but IMO he gets hurt too often to depend on. I see him getting cut.

silkamilkamonico
05-27-2012, 11:39 AM
this is where you would accuse me of acting like i know more than the guys in charge and closest to the situation.

What 3 guys are better?

Willis McGahee who's probably just as injury prone as KM, and older?
Hillman, who doesn't even have a carry yet?

Who's the third?

If the front office does the right thing and keeps the 3 best RB's on the roster, I don't see how Moreno doesn't make the team. Other than the top 2 I mentioned, nobody else has a legitimate argument at this point.

Chef Zambini
05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
like I said, we are desperate if KM is one of our top 3 !

Chef Zambini
05-27-2012, 11:54 AM
From a draft standpoint he is a bust, simple as that. Call it just overly hyped or bad luck with injuries but we missed on that pick. With that said i still maintain he can be a dangerous 3rd down weapon and i wouldnt be shocked at all that under Manning he would have a successful year. Can Hillman do the same? Maybe and most likely. I think it will come down to how much each player is getting paid. If Hillman can do the same things as Moreno for a lot less than it makes sense to cut ties with him now.if MORENOS primary role is that of a pass blocker and outlet for pass plays, a decent FULLBACK would be a better option than moreno ! the FB would play special teams too, something moreno does not do !
a hard tunning fullback who can also stay on his feet after being touched around the ankles, unlike moreno! someone who can take a hit and move forward...
yep, we should have kept TEBOW !

silkamilkamonico
05-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Desperate implies hope that KM will somehow burst out.

Reality speaking, no one's even mentioned someone "better" than him breaking into the top 3.

jhildebrand
05-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Moreno was done when they drafted Ronnie Hillman.

silkamilkamonico
05-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm hoping Denver can pick someone up after cuts.

Outside of Willis "glass gina" McGahee and and unproven Ronnie Hillman,Denver has utter garbage for RB's.

Possibly the worst RB unit in the NFL, especlally if we have to go through another sesaon of Lance sucks Balls.

Northman
05-27-2012, 12:40 PM
if MORENOS primary role is that of a pass blocker and outlet for pass plays, a decent FULLBACK would be a better option than moreno ! the FB would play special teams too, something moreno does not do !
a hard tunning fullback who can also stay on his feet after being touched around the ankles, unlike moreno! someone who can take a hit and move forward...
yep, we should have kept TEBOW !

Not sure what Tebow has to do with my comment but whatever. But like i said, as a third down back i think Moreno has the skillset to be effective. But, if Hillman can do the same things and at a cheaper cost i can see Denver cutting Moreno loose. But, with out history of injuries it might be wise to keep Moreno here as well.

Nomad
05-27-2012, 12:52 PM
This is who I thought the BRONCOS were getting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Yur-46blE Time is running out on the kid and with his injury history, it doesn't look good. I hope the best for him.

Chef Zambini
05-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Not sure what Tebow has to do with my comment but whatever. But like i said, as a third down back i think Moreno has the skillset to be effective. But, if Hillman can do the same things and at a cheaper cost i can see Denver cutting Moreno loose. But, with out history of injuries it might be wise to keep Moreno here as well.the tebow part was my attempt at light-hearted humor, FAIL.

Chef Zambini
05-27-2012, 01:54 PM
morenos cap hit if we CUT him is perhaps the strongets reason why he will stay with the broncos. I think he is destinjed for the PUP, where we can keep the cap money and ofer somebody else his roster spot !

MOtorboat
05-27-2012, 02:28 PM
You can't place a guy on PUP who is not injured, Zam.

Chef Zambini
05-27-2012, 03:18 PM
You can't place a guy on PUP who is not injured, Zam.coming off an ACL surgery, we wont have any problem decalaring moreno Physicaly Unable to Perform.

MOtorboat
05-27-2012, 03:36 PM
coming off an ACL surgery, we wont have any problem decalaring moreno Physicaly Unable to Perform.

Other than he's already practiced and it's only May.

Can't do that. They ACTUALLY have to be physically unable to perform.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-27-2012, 04:52 PM
I think both Moreno and the Broncos know that his time is running out an that he really needs to show something in order to earn a spot. Unlike previous years, this year he's going to have to no kidding compete for a spot. IIRC, he and McGahee competed for the starting spot last year in camp and he actually beat out McGahee. It wasn't until he got hurt early on that he lost his spot to McGahee and never got it back. Later, in the KC game, (not long after returning from he prior injury - an ankle I think) is when he tore his ACL. He was running well vs KC when his leg got rolled up on and his ACL tore.

I'd love for him to finally be the guy we drafted. If he can stay healthy, he can be a solid contributor on the field but that's a HUGE "if". It won't hurt my feelings to see him cut loose if he can't earn a spot, but I'd much rather have the player he was in college. I don't see the Broncos just cutting him for any reason other than a crowded backfield because he really isn't costing us much this year.

Hawgdriver
05-27-2012, 05:13 PM
If a DUI, last year of contract, management ready to move on, and having proven nada doesn't turn on the light bulb, then nothing will. KM should prep and play like his life depends on it. I'd love for the Broncos to get that one ridiculous year of production from the player who has everything to prove.

You know what? I just don't get that vibe from him. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

tomjonesrocks
05-29-2012, 12:18 AM
This is who I thought the BRONCOS were getting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Yur-46blE Time is running out on the kid and with his injury history, it doesn't look good. I hope the best for him.

Meh. Even in that video he looks slow. The blown ACL won't help that problem.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 07:59 AM
I think both Moreno and the Broncos know that his time is running out an that he really needs to show something in order to earn a spot. Unlike previous years, this year he's going to have to no kidding compete for a spot. IIRC, he and McGahee competed for the starting spot last year in camp and he actually beat out McGahee. It wasn't until he got hurt early on that he lost his spot to McGahee and never got it back. Later, in the KC game, (not long after returning from he prior injury - an ankle I think) is when he tore his ACL. He was running well vs KC when his leg got rolled up on and his ACL tore.

I'd love for him to finally be the guy we drafted. If he can stay healthy, he can be a solid contributor on the field but that's a HUGE "if". It won't hurt my feelings to see him cut loose if he can't earn a spot, but I'd much rather have the player he was in college. I don't see the Broncos just cutting him for any reason other than a crowded backfield because he really isn't costing us much this year.good response but some of you folks are not listening! his CAP hit is what will preserve his spot as a bronco and if he cant prove himself to be one of our 3 best backs then he is destined for the PUP list, where he can rehab on the CHEAP ! the roster spot will go to somebody else, and we will be able to use his 3million dollar cap hit for other players !
it makes good FISCAl SENSE, to keep moreno, regardless of his football skill!
THIS is perhaps one of the tilting points to telling xanders to get the F out, contracts like morenos !
we cant afford to just cut him !
and nop team is going to trade for a guy with his mediocre performance coming off an ACL !

TXBRONC
05-29-2012, 08:05 AM
rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8295c468/article/knowshon-moreno-fighting-for-spot-with-broncos?module=HP11_headline_stack

I've said this same thing many times.

Ravage!!!
05-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Unless someone can somehow prove to me that any OTHER back wouldn't have gotten the 2500 yrds and 20 TDs if they were put in the same situation that Moreno has been put, then I don't see how it could be a mistake cutting him. The ONLY reason he would be cut, is if he's proving that he can't do the things asked of him, better than the other guys on the team. They aren't going to simply cut him. Moreno hasn't proved to do much at all when in a game, but if the other guys are now passing him up in practice as well, then what does Moreno bring to the table?

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
he wont be CUT !
but I doubt he makes the active roster!
hello, blind readers, his CAP hit prohibits us from cutting him!
his contract, not his talent, will keep him a bronco

PUP people !

underrated29
05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
he wont be CUT !
but I doubt he makes the active roster!
hello, blind readers, his CAP hit prohibits us from cutting him!
his contract, not his talent, will keep him a bronco

PUP people !

I will bet you your best recipe that as long as knowshon doesnt hurt his vagina again in TC- He will be active roster and one of our top 3 backs.

MOtorboat
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
He can't go on the PUP now unless he reinjures himself.

Hello!

Ravage!!!
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
coming off an ACL surgery, we wont have any problem decalaring moreno Physicaly Unable to Perform.

The player and the agent certainly would NOT agree to be put on the PUP list if they weren't injured. Even if they could get a doctor to say he was hurt. That would hurt his career by having two seasons of not playing. Then, if the NFl found out that you illegally put a player on the PUP list that wasn't injured, purely to try and save salary cap space, would get hit with penalties.

Moreno won't be put on the PUP list purely to save salary cap.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 10:19 AM
The player and the agent certainly would NOT agree to be put on the PUP list if they weren't injured. Even if they could get a doctor to say he was hurt. That would hurt his career by having two seasons of not playing. Then, if the NFl found out that you illegally put a player on the PUP list that wasn't injured, purely to try and save salary cap space, would get hit with penalties.

Moreno won't be put on the PUP list purely to save salary cap.never mind we did exactly that with TD !
his agent?
the broncos will tell his agent, find a team that will take him off our hands and pick up his contract !

Ravage!!!
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
never mind we did exactly that with TD !
his agent?
the broncos will tell his agent, find a team that will take him off our hands and pick up his contract !

Uh.. no.

Keep playing though. Can't just put a player on the PUP list because you feel like it.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 10:23 AM
I will bet a month of silence and a self ban from this forum that he will NOT be CUT !
cutting KM would be flat out stoopid, because of the cap hit we would take !
so if he cant make the team on his TALENT, he will either be designated PUP or some pathetic team will take him off our hands and LEDGER !

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
cmon people, are you so hell bent with being contray to zam that you fail to see the reality that KM is coming off an ACL injury and therefore is an unquestioned candidate for the PUP ?

Ravage!!!
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I will bet a month of silence and a self ban from this forum that he will NOT be CUT !
so if he cant make the team on his TALENT, he will either be designated PUP or some pathetic team will take him off our hands and LEDGER !

I'm not saying you might be right about his salary cap hit keeping him on the roster (although I would have to look it up, since you haven't been very correct on nearly all your stats)....but I'm saying that Broncos will NOT put him on the PUP list purely to avoid the cap hit.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/knowshon-moreno-knee-could-start-203238906.html

MOtorboat
05-29-2012, 10:39 AM
And that was written well over a month ago before he participated nearly fully in OTAs.

Ravage!!!
05-29-2012, 10:44 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/knowshon-moreno-knee-could-start-203238906.html

I see where you got your "notion" that Moreno could go on the PUP. But that was written April 4th, a LONG time ago compared to when he's now participating in OTAs.

PUP is "PHYSICALLY UNABLE TO PERFORM." You can't just put a guy on the PUP purely because you want to.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 10:45 AM
PUP, a reality for moreno if he cant distinguish himself as one of our top 3 RBs!
not cut, designated as Physically Unable to Perform, PUP.
CUT is not a rational fiscal option !

MOtorboat
05-29-2012, 10:57 AM
At this point, since Moreno has participated fully in OTAs. If he's placed on PUP, the Union will file a grievance against the Broncos. Especially if he participates in camp, as you suggest, zam, and only performs so-so.

Ravage!!!
05-29-2012, 10:59 AM
PUP, a reality for moreno if he cant distinguish himself as one of our top 3 RBs!
not cut, designated as Physically Unable to Perform, PUP.
CUT is not a rational fiscal option !

How would he be "physically unable to perform?" Because he's not as good as the others on the roster? I just can't see the player, nor the agent, nor the Players Association agreeing to see a player put on the PUP list without cause. That would mean the player is WILLING to accept that he's not getting a chance to audition for another team, nor shop his services to another team because he's on the PUP. THat would mean the player is willing to sacrifice ayear of his career purely to help our salary cap issues, and at the same time, willing to put his health reputation at SERIOUS risk.

No player wants to be labeled "injury prone"... and with as many injuries as he's had, the last thing he would do is volunteer to be put on the PUP list if he has the physical ability to play. No way.

underrated29
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
yup. he will not be pup, he will be active roster as one of our top 3 backs...I have a feeling top 2. But then again, we all know where I stand on him so top 3 is where I will stand.

We shall see in TC....theres 3 things in TC i am going to keep an eye on. TEs and specifically Orange Julius. RBs, moreno, hillman and how manning uses them (all the rbs) and the WR (to see who is going to be a baller for us)

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 11:40 AM
is there anything more ambiguos than a players salary cap number?
I have read anything from from 1-7 to 3-1 for moreno.
I do know his guarantee was 14 million so if we do CUT him< whatever we have not paid him to date will count against our cap !
if the actual cap number is closer to the 1.7, then there is a chance the broncos will take the cap hit and resease him outright.
I still contend that if he cant perform better then 3 of our current RBs he will be a viable, legitimate, no brainer candidate for the p.U.P. list.
especially if we cant trade him !

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
"limited activities in OTAs'
vs
full participation in "camp"
camp implies contact, hitting, if they keep moreno out of contact drills he remains a candidate for PUP!

Poet
05-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't let Zambini troll you guys like this.

MOtorboat
05-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Don't let Zambini troll you guys like this.

Lance Armstrong does steroids.

Cugel
05-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Knowshon Moreno - RB - Broncos

Appearing on ESPN 32 Friday, Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post characterized Knowshon Moreno as a player "fighting for a roster spot" at Broncos OTAs.
Moreno's scholarship in Denver expired when Josh McDaniels was kicked out of town, and he'll now have to fight off Mario Fannin and Lance Ball just to be third string. (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/den/?r=1) Moreno underwent surgery to repair his right ACL on December 1. While he is participating in OTAs on a limited basis, Moreno can't afford to lose any burst. We wouldn't be surprised to see Moreno traded before the season.
May 25 - 6:42 PM

Here's his contract:

8/7/2009: Signed a five-year, $16.7 million contract. The deal contains $13.125 million guaranteed, including a second-year roster bonus of $3.775 million. Another $6.3 million is available through incentives. The Broncos can exercise an option year in 2014 by paying Moreno $5.08 million. 2012: $855,000, 2013: $1.7 million, 2014: Club Option, 2015: Free Agent

So, his base salary for 2012 is $885,000. We don't know exactly how big his signing bonus was, but he's earned 3/5ths of it already.

He already was paid his 2nd year roster bonus of $3.2 million in 2010.

His $13.125 million guaranteed averages about $2.62 million per year. But much of it, including his roster bonus is already paid.

Taking the un-earned portion of his guarantee, it should equal a cap hit of about $3 million to get rid of him.

But, as Rotoworld says: "his scholarship expired when Josh McDaniels left town."

If the Broncos view him as dead-wood and think that Mario Fannin and Lance Ball out played him in training camp then he'll be gone.

I doubt he would fetch much of anything in a trade, but he could be traded for "future considerations" just to dump whatever was left of his salary.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut during the pre-season. Just another massive McMoron draft failure.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Personally, I think cutting him would border on (or dwell right in the middle of it) stupid. He may not be a pro bowl back between the tackles or have elite speed, but he's still one of the best receiving backs in the league.

I think he'll be on the team and get 5 or so touches a game. You don't just waste a receiving back like that when you've got Manning on the roster. I just don't get it, especially with what he'll make this year and next. We need the depth. Are we really going to assume McGahee is gonna be healthy for 16 games? Is Hillman gonna carry the load if he's out? We would be wise to keep Moreno around. Are we really assuming Hillman is going to be a better 3rd down back, really?

Jsteve01
05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
stop it with your level headed posts al. Look we all acknowledge that the kid has never lived up to his draft position. What we don't all seem to see is that he's been a decent back since arriving in the league and he's always had a nose for the endzone.

TXBRONC
05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Personally, I think cutting him would border on (or dwell right in the middle of it) stupid. He may not be a pro bowl back between the tackles or have elite speed, but he's still one of the best receiving backs in the league.

I think he'll be on the team and get 5 or so touches a game. You don't just waste a receiving back like that when you've got Manning on the roster. I just don't get it, especially with what he'll make this year and next. We need the depth. Are we really going to assume McGahee is gonna be healthy for 16 games? Is Hillman gonna carry the load if he's out? We would be wise to keep Moreno around. Are we really assuming Hillman is going to be a better 3rd down back, really?

The exact same question you're asking of Hillman can be asked of Moreno. If McGahee goes down is Moreno going carry the load? The answer is no and that's based on what he's done on the field.

He was the 11th overall draft pick in his draft class so imho five or so touches per game is rather paultry. We can get that out of Lance Ball.

There is no way to know right now whether or not releasing Moreno would be mistake. However, atp I think if he remains on the team there is very good chance he wont be very productive early on because he's only a little more than six months removed from his acl tear.

ShaneFalco
05-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Hes 2 SAUCED for this team. Manning will get angry

MOtorboat
05-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Well. He's capable of 15 touches a game, because that's what he's averaged. If he's healthy and remains healthy, I don't know why they wouldn't use him.

Buff
05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Knowshon Moreno sucks at tackle football.

Cugel
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Well. He's capable of 15 touches a game, because that's what he's averaged. If he's healthy and remains healthy, I don't know why they wouldn't use him.

Because they just drafted a RB with similar skills but potentially a lot better than him. That's why!

If things go as planned, they'll start McGahee, but Hillman will get many carries if he proves he can pass-block. That's the only thing limiting his playing time this year.

If Moreno is only going to get 10 carries or less a game, then he's not worth it and the reports that he's going to be cut/traded are probably going to become true.

I'd say he's worth maybe a 4th or 5th round draft pick. Make the trade.

What's the down-side risk? Moreno and Hillman get hurt? We already know you can't depend on Moreno to carry the load anyway.

They'd be better off using Lance Ball and whoever else they can find than wasting any more time on Moreno.

Buff
05-31-2012, 01:18 PM

You people are delusional. Moreno isn't "one of the best backs in the league" doing anything. Of course I assume Hillman is going to be a better 3rd down back, because if he possesses any vision whatsoever he is already head and shoulders above Moreno.

The guy is as mediocre as they come. And he's now a liability with his DUI. I can't wait to run him out of town. I will throw a party when we finally release his dead weight.

MOtorboat
05-31-2012, 01:23 PM
You people are delusional. Moreno isn't "one of the best backs in the league" doing anything. Of course I assume Hillman is going to be a better 3rd down back, because if he possesses any vision whatsoever he is already head and shoulders above Moreno.

The guy is as mediocre as they come. And he's now a liability with his DUI. I can't wait to run him out of town. I will throw a party when we finally release his dead weight.

In honor of the occasion I will be a Knowshow

Chef Zambini
05-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Because they just drafted a RB with similar skills but potentially a lot better than him. That's why!

If things go as planned, they'll start McGahee, but Hillman will get many carries if he proves he can pass-block. That's the only thing limiting his playing time this year.

If Moreno is only going to get 10 carries or less a game, then he's not worth it and the reports that he's going to be cut/traded are probably going to become true.

I'd say he's worth maybe a 4th or 5th round draft pick. Make the trade.

What's the down-side risk? Moreno and Hillman get hurt? We already know you can't depend on Moreno to carry the load anyway.

They'd be better off using Lance Ball and whoever else they can find than wasting any more time on Moreno.latest woprd from camp is that PM has taken hillman under his wing, so he is the heir apparant to take over as the 3rd down back with blocking and pass catching duties.
also moreno is being kept out of 11 on 11 drills and is therefore still a viable candidate for the PUP !

underrated29
05-31-2012, 02:11 PM
latest woprd from camp is that PM has taken hillman under his wing, so he is the heir apparant to take over as the 3rd down back with blocking and pass catching duties.
also moreno is being kept out of 11 on 11 drills and is therefore still a viable candidate for the PUP !

:lol::lol::lol:

You and the PUP

BigDaddyBronco
05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
If Moreno was one of those guys who was always working on his game or a locker room leader or was really good at something, then it would make sense to keep him. Problem is that he is a mediocre back, who is always hurt, doesn't play special teams, isn't a leader, etc. Unless he suddenly "gets it" I would cut my loss this year.

Buff
05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
If Moreno was one of those guys who was always working on his game or a locker room leader or was really good at something, then it would make sense to keep him. Problem is that he is a mediocre back, who is always hurt, doesn't play special teams, isn't a leader, etc. Unless he suddenly "gets it" I would cut my loss this year.

The two things I keep coming back to is that he's slow (by NFL RB standards) and has no vision. McGahee has amazing vision and patience, and always seems to find a hole. Moreno is the polar opposite - running into the back of his lineman, always finding the tackler, etc. I'd be more willing to live with his lack of vision if he could outrun the defense once in a while - but he doesn't have elite speed. So when you don't possess either skill set - then you layer in all the stuff you mentioned - I just don't see how he's any more valuable than the dozens of other mediocre RBs on the market.

underrated29
05-31-2012, 02:46 PM
The two things we keep coming back to is that he is one of the best pass catchers in the league and has one of the highest yards per catch in the league. And the fact that even with mcgahee and hillman we are going to carry 3-4 RBs this year, and if those two take the first two spots.....there is no way that ball, JJ, fannin, omon (who I like) and any others will take his roster spot.

Buff
05-31-2012, 02:55 PM
The two things we keep coming back to is that he is one of the best pass catchers in the league and has one of the highest yards per catch in the league. And the fact that even with mcgahee and hillman we are going to carry 3-4 RBs this year, and if those two take the first two spots.....there is no way that ball, JJ, fannin, omon (who I like) and any others will take his roster spot.

Do you just make this stuff up?

How can anyone call him one of the best pass catching RBs in the league with his limited and unimpressive track record? He has 76 catches in 36 games. Darren Sproles - widely considered the best RB pass catcher - caught 86 passes last year. I'm not willing to draw any conclusions based on an inflated YPC on a small sample size.

When has a defense ever worried about Knowshon? Why are you so sure that someone can't take his roster spot? I just don't understand how we can be on such opposite ends of the spectrum after watching the same games.

underrated29
05-31-2012, 03:06 PM
knowshon averaged the 10ypc for nearly two years and last year fell just below it before he got hurt. There are not that many RBs that have averaged that. It is a remarkable number, and not inflated. Knowshon has actually produced. Look at his numbers and despite all the crap about KO or TT or the blocking he averaged a very respectable Yard Per Carry as well.

I say again, these other chumps who have been career backups or never played a down in the nfl will not be bumping him off the roster..(unless he gets hurt again-then he is gone fa show)

Cugel
05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
knowshon averaged the 10ypc for nearly two years and last year fell just below it before he got hurt. There are not that many RBs that have averaged that. It is a remarkable number, and not inflated. Knowshon has actually produced. Look at his numbers and despite all the crap about KO or TT or the blocking he averaged a very respectable Yard Per Carry as well.

I say again, these other chumps who have been career backups or never played a down in the nfl will not be bumping him off the roster..(unless he gets hurt again-then he is gone fa show)

Knowshon! You're busted! Quit haunting our boards under an alias and get back to working out! :laugh:

Lance Ball and Fainin are going to be the backups, Hillman and McGahee the starters. Moreno is fighting for the fifth roster spot, and he's coming off a serious knee injury.

I wouldn't put a dime on his chances of making the 53 man roster. It takes a long time for a RB to come back from his kind of knee injury and a lot are never the same afterwards.

Given that he wasn't that good to begin with and Moreno is looking at long odds to make his mark in the NFL and he's probably going to have to make it with some other team.

My guess is that it's going to be 2013 before he's really healthy again. And the Broncos are simply not going to carry him for a year if that's the case.

I thought they'd be able to trade him for a 5th round pick or something, but reading about his knee injury today, I've changed my mind. Now I think he's just going to be released in the pre-season.

Chef Zambini
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
YPC... yards per catch
YPC yards per carry
YPA yards per attempt

underrated29
05-31-2012, 04:19 PM
you found me out cuges. But I will not be cut in favor of ball or fannin unless I get hurt again. You watch and see.

dogfish
05-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Do you just make this stuff up?

How can anyone call him one of the best pass catching RBs in the league with his limited and unimpressive track record? He has 76 catches in 36 games. Darren Sproles - widely considered the best RB pass catcher - caught 86 passes last year. I'm not willing to draw any conclusions based on an inflated YPC on a small sample size.

When has a defense ever worried about Knowshon? Why are you so sure that someone can't take his roster spot? I just don't understand how we can be on such opposite ends of the spectrum after watching the same games.

i have no idea where he's coming from either. . .

doesn't matter anyway-- knowshon's gone after this year, even assuming that he's healthy enough to make this season's roster. . . it's not like we're going to re-sign the stiff. . .