PDA

View Full Version : Will Nate Irving step up?

iLands
05-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Do you think Nate Irving will be an important part of our defense this year? If not, do you think he ever will?

Canmore
05-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Do you think Nate Irving will be an important part of our defense this year? If not, do you think he ever will?

There is a good question. I still have hope for Irving. I think we will get a feel for the real answer to this question during the preseason. I think all of DJ's problems may give Irving a push toward center stage. How that works out is anybodies guess.

dogfish
05-26-2012, 02:48 PM
i'm going with maybe. . .

MOtorboat
05-26-2012, 03:04 PM
i'm going with maybe. . .

So you're saying there's a chance...

I hope he does. I thought he had all the tools, maybe I was wrong.

Softskull
05-26-2012, 03:12 PM
All my hopes and dreams lie with Nate. I loved the pick when we grabbed him last year.

guitarj
05-26-2012, 07:52 PM
If Irving or even Moore could step it up in the next couple years, last years draft might be considered a success, but this is really hoping.

Sent using Forum Runner

TXBRONC
05-27-2012, 08:51 AM
If Irving or even Moore could step it up in the next couple years, last years draft might be considered a success, but this is really hoping.

Sent using Forum Runner

It's already considered a success. Carter, Franklin, and obviously Miller were productive as rookies.

rationalfan
05-27-2012, 08:51 AM
The joe mays contract suggests Irving isn't ready.

Cugel
05-27-2012, 10:08 AM

The $4 million contract to Joe Mays is a big vote of "no confidence" in Irving. It means Irving is not going to be the starter anytime soon. Irving is a wasted 3rd round pick at this point.

It's looking like he's the second coming of Terry Pierce. Remember that one? 2nd round LB pick that Shanahan insisted had "potential" only to watch him sit on the bench for his rookie contract and then get released.

Only I don't see Fox as the indulgent type, so Irving might not even last long enough to play out his rookie contract unless he improves this season. Fox is a defensive minded coach and he's looking to constantly strengthen the defense.

Unless Irving demonstrates that he can come in and contribute a lot better than he did last year, he's going to be gone by next year.

Divinelegion
05-27-2012, 10:44 AM
All of this negative feedback for a guy who has only completed one year in the league. Talk about inflated standards, don't forget that Nate hasn't had a full offseason yet.

Nomad
05-27-2012, 10:49 AM
All of this negative feedback for a guy who has only completed one year in the league. Talk about inflated standards, don't forget that Nate hasn't had a full offseason yet.

True! I didn't follow Irving in college or know much about him but I heard he has a lot of potential. With Fox/Del Rio working with Irving, he'll get it going. He was only a 3rd rd pick.

broncobryce
05-27-2012, 11:12 AM
He can play DJ's position so that helps with DJ possibly being out. The issue has been he isn't able to get off blocks. So his strength is against the pass, but we already have Woodyard for that. He is fighting an uphill battle, but should get his chance.

Northman
05-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I hope he does.

Nomad
05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
I hope he does.

Best way to sum it up! It'll be one less position needing to be filled for awhile.

turftoad
05-27-2012, 11:46 AM

No true. He played MLB in college but comming out, many projected him as a better OLB. I think he has a perfect opportunity to take over DJs spot.

guitarj
05-27-2012, 11:49 AM
It's already considered a success. Carter, Franklin, and obviously Miller were productive as rookies.

I stand corrected. Forgot about Carter. 3 starters already. Not bad at all. Hope we see Irving step it up after a full off season. He did produce some in special teams last year

Sent using Forum Runner

RebelRocker
05-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Don't forget about Harris as an UDFA. Technically, we got 4 immediate starters/contributors in Harris, Miller, Franklin and Carter.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-27-2012, 04:59 PM
The $4 million contract to Joe Mays is a big vote of "no confidence" in Irving. It means Irving is not going to be the starter anytime soon. Irving is a wasted 3rd round pick at this point.

It's looking like he's the second coming of Terry Pierce. Remember that one? 2nd round LB pick that Shanahan insisted had "potential" only to watch him sit on the bench for his rookie contract and then get released.

Only I don't see Fox as the indulgent type, so Irving might not even last long enough to play out his rookie contract unless he improves this season. Fox is a defensive minded coach and he's looking to constantly strengthen the defense.

Unless Irving demonstrates that he can come in and contribute a lot better than he did last year, he's going to be gone by next year.

At least with Terry Pierce, we were already pretty stacked at LB. He was a MLB and what, was he going to beat out Al Wilson in his prime? Hardly. Irving was drafted to supplant Mays. As of now, he hasn't. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but I can't bring myself to call him a "wasted" pick. He does play STs which is pretty standard for a lot of 3rd round, non-O-linemen draft pick.

Jsteve01
05-28-2012, 03:14 AM
Guy had a high ankle sprain in camp and no offseason. Also had the athletic ability to match fantastic tape. Its waaaaay too early for Pierce comparisons. Terry was fat and slow. That's not nate

BORDERLINE
05-28-2012, 10:11 AM
I remember a lot of people hyping up irving and then saying he had no offseason and this and that. Plain and simple a 3rd round ppick should at least be on ST and fill a back-up spot. Seen some big hit's from HIM but none with a Broncos uniform