PDA

View Full Version : Mario Fannin intrigues Broncos with speed, receiving ability at RB

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Bud Brown:

Q: I was wondering about Mario Fannin. It seems like there was talk of him being one of the best backs in camp last year for his tough running. I know he got injured and missed the season last year and I believe he has a little bit of an issue staying healthy. But do you think the Broncos feel they have a possible wild card at the running back position if this guy can stay healthy this year? It made me wonder when they went after Ronnie Hillman.

A: Bud, Fannin was certainly one of the most intriguing rookies in last year's training camp given he is big (5-foot-10 3/8, 231 pounds) and fast (he ran 4.37 hand-timed in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine in 2011).

But he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his knee last summer and spent the 2011 season on injured reserve following his surgery.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20712354/mario-fannin-intrigues-broncos-speed-receiving-ability-at

SR
05-25-2012, 08:33 PM
He has MJD potential

shank
05-25-2012, 09:47 PM
him, omon, and johnson will compete for a spot. one of them better beat out ball.

SR
05-25-2012, 10:02 PM
I think Moreno will have a breakout year as a third down back

Day1BroncoFan
05-25-2012, 10:13 PM
I think Moreno will have a breakout year as a third down back

I think he's going to have a good year receiving out of the backfield too.

NorCalBronco7
05-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I think a somewhat good comparison to Fannin is McFadden. There fast, north/south guys who dont have much wiggle, but have good power. They also cant stay healthy. The big difference between the two is how quick they are. Fannin doesnt have that short burst McFadden has.

dogfish
05-25-2012, 10:26 PM
kid barely put up 1,000 total rushing yards in four years of college. . .

i'm not going to say he can't play, but i will say that he'd be getting as much interest as an old dog turd if he'd run a tenth of a second slower at the combine. . .

Softskull
05-25-2012, 11:05 PM
I wish I could run a 4.37. Instead, I'm just an old dog turd.

MOtorboat
05-26-2012, 08:08 AM
I call this Terrell Davis-syndrome. Being a Bronco fan, I don't know if this happens in other fan bases, so that's why I call it that.

It's essentially becoming over-attached to a low-round or undrafted running back.

McGahee, Moreno and Hillman will receive the majority of the snaps, if not all the snaps, this season.

EMB6903
05-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Mjd potential.

Good one.

Future training camp cut

Chef Zambini
05-26-2012, 08:19 AM
I hope what we have is good enough to push moreno out of the picture. I have given up on the kid, poor balance and visibility, trouble reading and reacting to the blitz, and a mediocre blocker at best.
most aggravating is the way he goes down whenever he is touched below the knees.

Rick
05-26-2012, 09:46 AM
With the injuries at RB last year and still a lot of unknowns at the position I think They go with McGahee, Moreno, Hillman, Fanin and then Gronk at FB.

We have Manning now and Fox has proven in the past at Carolina that he is willing to air it out but I don't think he will lose the running game. I expect more of a balanced attack unless our running game proves to suck for some reason.

Chef Zambini
05-26-2012, 09:55 AM
I think we keep six backs including FB, and yes a TE can also be employed to play the FB position but he wont count against the six.
the FB that best distinguishes himself on SPCIAL TEAMS has the best chance of earning a roster spot, if we have two that fit that bill, then we will indeed have to active FBs on our roster.
one is going to have to play the tebow for our punt formation.

Jsteve01
05-26-2012, 07:55 PM
This Guy is the next Cedric Cobb.

But in all seriousness. There is no way a Guy with his size speed combo goes undrafted unless as the tape shows he ha horrid instincts an puts the ball on the ground

tomjonesrocks
05-26-2012, 11:29 PM
I also don't know what the hype is/was over Fannin. I'd prefer ANYONE over Moreno but Fannin didn't seem impressive to me in his very limited action. Don't understand the fascination with him.

DenBronx
05-27-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm not expecting much out of this draft pick. We havent been finding gold in the late rounds of the drafts for RBs in a long long time!

So...yeah I think Moreno will have a much better year.

Canmore
05-27-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm not expecting much out of this draft pick. We havent been finding gold in the late rounds of the drafts for RBs in a long long time!

So...yeah I think Moreno will have a much better year.

I believe it was Shanny who found running back gold in late round draft picks. As for Moreno, I'm not holding my breath.

Jsteve01
05-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Fox has had luck with later round backs as well during his career. I'm just saying that somewhere along the line people saw this kid's 40 time and decided he was a diamond in the rough and they forgot to watch his college tape and realize that he was just rough. Anyone remember Chris Henry from Tennessee?

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 09:38 AM
This Guy is the next Cedric Cobb.

But in all seriousness. There is no way a Guy with his size speed combo goes undrafted unless as the tape shows he ha horrid instincts an puts the ball on the groundarian foster, what round was he drafted?

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 09:40 AM
I believe it was Shanny who found running back gold in late round draft picks. As for Moreno, I'm not holding my breath.not shanahan, bobby turner. shanahans doesnt know squat about running backs, he has ALWAYS left that to others, in college, in the pros. shanny is a QB /WR coach

Jsteve01
05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
arian foster, what round was he drafted?

i could care less what round Foster was drafted in. When you turned on the tape of a Foster or Davis you saw someone that had good instincts and for one reason or another hadn't put it all together. When you turn on the tape of Fannin you see a kid who hesitates in the hole and puts the ball on the ground.

Foster finished his career as the second all time rusher in UT history. Fannin didn't crack the top 10 at Auburn and never even started consistently.

It's not a valid analogy Zam.