PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnought's Old Prog Rock Thread

Dreadnought
06-05-2009, 01:55 PM
So in my advancing age I am finding myself returning to the music of my youth. Thankfully, I am of a good age for that, because the early 70's were the absolute Heyday of first rate Prog Rock. Genesis (with Peter Gabriel, not the schlocky Phil Collins crap), King Crimson, ELP, Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, all that stuff has been back on my MP3 lately, and I've forgotten how much I loved it. Plus my Hawkwind is back in play too.

If you are too young to understand how outstandingly brilliantly whacked out some of this stuff was, check out this live video of King Crimson's classic "Lark's Tongues in Aspic." Ideally with headphones and a dark blacklit room. Give it a few minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4V9pQsOc30&feature=PlayList&p=F6C912241822CBCB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=55

Requiem / The Dagda
06-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Dread, I would have never know you liked ELP, Yes and King Crimson. You are a cool guy now. Officially. This and a love for Manhattan's has given me a reason to like you more than ever!

Slick
06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Dear Dread,

How do you feel about Chick Korea(sp) and the Jeff Beck albums with Jan Hammer?

Your friend,
Slick

Dreadnought
06-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Dear Dread,

How do you feel about Chick Korea(sp) and the Jeff Beck albums with Jan Hammer?

Your friend,
Slick

I've started getting more into Jeff Beck lately. Just downloaded some of "Blow by Blow", and never appreciated him as much as I should have

Slick
06-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I've started getting more into Jeff Beck lately. Just downloaded some of "Blow by Blow", and never appreciated him as much as I should have

Great album...check out Wired too.

Hogan11
09-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Hawkwind you say? Very underrated stuff...it was like early Pink Floyd with balls

Northman
09-11-2009, 07:30 PM
How did i know Hogan would make his way into this thread? lol

I do like me some progressive rock/metal.

Yes
Rush
Genesis

Also, you have to check out a couple of these bands Dread and let me know what you think. Good stuff here.

Animations
http://www.myspace.com/animationsofficial

Animals as Leaders
http://www.myspace.com/animalsasleaders

Hogan11
09-11-2009, 07:36 PM
How did i know Hogan would make his way into this thread? lol

I do like me some progressive rock/metal.

Yes
Rush
Genesis

Also, you have to check out a couple of these bands Dread and let me know what you think. Good stuff here.

Animations
http://www.myspace.com/animationsofficial

Animals as Leaders
http://www.myspace.com/animalsasleaders

I get everywhere eventually.....good to see you Anubis.

CrazyHorse
09-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Kansas FTW!

Requiem / The Dagda
09-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Someone mentioned Yes above. Heck yeah. They rule.

CrazyHorse
09-14-2009, 09:09 AM
I forgot Asia too.

Dreadnought
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
I never could warm up to Asia. They always seemed a little too sanitized and mainstream to be really great. Same would apply to Kansas. Not discounting their musicianship, but they just didn't interest me.

Of course the downside of being creative and taking chances is that you get some really awful stuff from time to time; I defy most anyone to sit through the entire 12 or so minutes of "Providence" off of King Crimson's otherwise superb album "Red." Its 12 minutes of pure grating Hell that just seems to last a whole lot longer

topscribe
12-17-2009, 02:27 AM
An all-time favorite, compliments of ELO:

T61cpqDDn1E

Another one, by the Eagles:

vZeaCzzXN3Q

------

NightTrainLayne
12-17-2009, 09:54 AM
When Dread started this thread I had no idea that it would take off and sustain so well over the months. I'm glad to know that Dread's genereational musical tastes haven't gotten too far out of the mainstream.

;)

Dreadnought
12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
When Dread started this thread I had no idea that it would take off and sustain so well over the months. I'm glad to know that Dread's genereational musical tastes haven't gotten too far out of the mainstream.

;)

I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree over the past couple of months. Pure brilliance; kind of a cross between King Crimson and Tool, with some early Pink Floyd thrown in. Proof that superb music is still being made.

topscribe
12-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree over the past couple of months. Pure brilliance; kind of a cross between King Crimson and Tool, with some early Pink Floyd thrown in. Proof that superb music is still being made.

I had never heard of them, so I headed over to YouTube to take a listen.

Good stuff, musically. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Northman
12-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Check this band out. I highly doubt you will like it in the long run but give it a chance. :D

sUHk69-jzZk

Lyrics:

Red lights
Stone walls
Rise above our heads
Golden sun
Ray of light
across the room

The sun makes its way in
Destined to wake
You're in my
sight again
Faithful guide
of vanity
Here we stand
among no others
From within
hall of the dead

Makes them going through
the room with white lights

Push forward
Lifeless body at the sign
lay around us
listening above us
Over our heads
they all lay
listening
lifted above us

We must be this band
Of the needy king

Don't look back, press on

Dreadnought
12-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I had never heard of them, so I headed over to YouTube to take a listen.

Good stuff, musically. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Steve Wilson is a genius IMO. Apparently he started the band as a joke/hoax back in the 80's - they were a fictional invention of his that was supposedly a "lost" Prog band from the early 70's. He made up bios of nonexistent band members, discographies, etc. Eventually he got called on it so produced some music on his own that he attributed to PT, and they took off from there after he recruited other real live band members :lol:

Biz1
12-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Here's one for you Dread/Top:

hgI8bta-7aw

muse
12-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Isis AND Porcupine Tree on this thread...I love you guys :D

Isis' Panopticon is possibly my favourite all time album (it's between that and Lateralus, I can't decide). I'm very much into my "New prog" (as they call it), Porcupine are an excellent band as they effortlessly mix so many genres together whilst retaining a singular identity and creating seamless, cohesive albums.

Couple of other bands to check out from the UK as they're not so big in the US:

Pure Reason Revolution - their second album's taken a bit of an electro turn but if you like Pink Floyd, you should enjoy their first, The Dark Third (I love both albums personally). Atmosphere, big riffs, three part harmonies. What more do you want?

PHv5dAFzDKg

Oceansize - jokingly refer to themselves as "progressive death indie", Oceansize are a great band who mix a little bit of metal, a little bit of prog, a dash of indie and post-rock and have a pretty huge sound. All of their albums are fantastic.

RYAF_MgV0JA

Northman
12-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Animations- Sonic Maze

4ftY-VEdL54

Animals as Leaders- On Impluse

4xaB6dZE9j0

topscribe
12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Joe Walsh - Look at Us Now

Relatively little known. Poignant message and a nice drum solo toward the end.

BXZ6pqbjSWQ

-----

Northman
12-23-2009, 02:12 PM
My alltime favorite Walsh song:

bMJisKvE-9s

Dreadnought
12-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Follow up - checked out Isis and Pure Reason Revolution. isis was...interesting. Great instrumental work, wretched vocals (i hate the "growls from the depths of Hell" approach to vocals)

Pure Reason Revolution is going on my MP3 rotation. Any recommendations?

Northman
12-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Did you check out the Animations and Animals as Leaders (post 21)? Those dont have any growling in them. lol

drewloc
12-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Did you check out the Animations and Animals as Leaders (post 21)? Those dont have any growling in them. lol

I love me some Animations, they are in my regular rotation as a staple. Do they only have the one album? I would love to get some more of their stuff. :salute:

muse
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Follow up - checked out Isis and Pure Reason Revolution. isis was...interesting. Great instrumental work, wretched vocals (i hate the "growls from the depths of Hell" approach to vocals)

Pure Reason Revolution is going on my MP3 rotation. Any recommendations?

It took me a while to get used to Isis' vocals, but after listening to them quite a bit I began to appreciate how they complement the music. I'm by no means a growly vocals fan, but Aaron Turner really grew on me. Instrumentally, my favourite album is Panopticon - there aren't a whole lot of vocals on the album and the musical texturing (to me) is just stunning. Definitely the sort of album that you want to listen to lying on a bean bag, lights dimmed, eyes closed. It's my favourite album of this decade.

As far as Pure Reason Revolution go, the first album plus the additional material from that era is the proggiest stuff (as I said earlier, the newer stuff takes on an electro bent...they never lost their identity, it's just a much different animal).

The first album - The Dark Third - comes in many different varieties. There's been a lot of debate between us fans about which one is best...my favourite is the original UK release - this contains two tracks which I think best fit in the album context compared to tracks which replace them on the US/European version. If you're looking for completeness, try to get a hold of the European 2-disc version (although it's a bit elusive...)

If you want song recommendations (which I'm a little loathe to do because the album works so well as a whole), my 5 top tracks are:

Twyncyn/Trembling Willows
Bright Ambassadors of Morning
Arrival/The Intention Craft
Bullits Dominae
In Aurelia

For a bit of second album love, try "The Gloaming" and "Deus ex Machina". Sorry 'bout the long winded post, they're just very close to my heart :lol:

Northman
12-30-2009, 12:56 PM
I love me some Animations, they are in my regular rotation as a staple. Do they only have the one album? I would love to get some more of their stuff. :salute:

They actually just released a new one this year called "Rest your Soul". Not quite as good as the debut but still good stuff.

Dreadnought
12-30-2009, 01:26 PM

Not yet - music must be played a good volume to be properly appreciated, and those opportunities for me are fewer.

I love my wife dearly, but her taste in music is not good...

Dreadnought
01-14-2010, 03:46 PM
I am taking my daughter to see a Genesis tribute band tonight. It could be lame or a great experience, or maybe a bit of both. Its never too early to start educating your kids on the dangers of Pop music.

She has been listening to Genesis for a few months, and I randomly hear her singing Genesis tunes aroung the house. There is nothing quite like "The Musical Box" or "I know what I like" as sung by an 8 year old girl.

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I am taking my daughter to see a Genesis tribute band tonight. It could be lame or a great experience, or maybe a bit of both. Its never too early to start educating your kids on the dangers of Pop music.

She has been listening to Genesis for a few months, and I randomly hear her singing Genesis tunes aroung the house. There is nothing quite like "The Musical Box" or "I know what I like" as sung by an 8 year old girl.

I can't figure out what's worse. Genesis or Hannah Montana/Selena Gomez.

Dreadnought
01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I can't figure out what's worse. Genesis or Hannah Montana/Selena Gomez.

Easy. The worst is the Dave Mathews Band

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Easy. The worst is the Dave Mathews Band

That's really not nice Dread.

Dreadnought
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
That's really not nice Dread.

Hey, you started it!

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey, you started it!

I'm going to have to make Davii aware of your DMB hatred.

Northman
01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
DMB rocks. I dont care what you two tools think of it. How you like them apples? :)

muse
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Discovered a Polish band called Riverside the other day, it's a nice mix of PT, Pink Floyd and dredg. Also mix in some elements of metal. Out of Myself is a really good, dreamy album...the basslines are really good too.

http://www.last.fm/music/Riverside/Out+of+Myself/The+Same+River

EDIT:

Another great reason to love Pure Reason Revolution:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3603/3336459328_c5f6e42fca.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/637/prr.jpg

Dreadnought
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Well the "Genesis" show last night was a hoot and a half. My daughter was blown away - frankly, so was I. This is a French Canadian band called "The Musical Box", and apparently the original Genesis guys helped them with stuff like the original slides, master tapes, etc. A great time. Seeing the original long 20+ minute version of "Supper's Ready" performed was awe inspiring, and something I figgered I'd never get to see. That one piece earned a lengthy standing O from the audience

Dreadnought
02-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Discovered a Polish band called Riverside the other day, it's a nice mix of PT, Pink Floyd and dredg. Also mix in some elements of metal. Out of Myself is a really good, dreamy album...the basslines are really good too.

http://www.last.fm/music/Riverside/Out+of+Myself/The+Same+River

EDIT:

Another great reason to love Pure Reason Revolution:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3603/3336459328_c5f6e42fca.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/637/prr.jpg

Good call on Riverside - I've downloaded a few of theirs now and they are in regular rotation.

Softskull got me thinking about this thread when he listed the superb "Selling England by the Pound" as his favorite album. I actually think "Foxtrot" is the better of the two, but both are winners :salute:

Softskull
02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Great thread.

Funny thing about Supper's Ready. I caught my son trying to play parts of Apocalypse in 9/8 on his keyboard recently. He's only 11 and not up to Tony Banks skill set yet. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

I got to see an aging peter gabriel last summer at the Berkeley Greek Theatre. He's still very entertaining.

Edit: Here's a very good video of a live Supper's Ready. I always enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=M58wE8GTGp4&NR=1

WTE
02-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Dread, I just put on Grooveshark and cranked some of The Knack Good Girls Don't and Squeeze Cool For Cats.

Makes me feel young again. You like that crap?

Softskull
02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd never listened to Porcupine Tree before today. I que'd up Deadwing. I was not disappointed.

Dreadnought
02-19-2012, 07:46 PM
I'd never listened to Porcupine Tree before today. I que'd up Deadwing. I was not disappointed.

Now, Cue up "Anesthetize" from "Fear of a Blank Planet". 17+ minutes of pure Proggy goodness. Its a fitting latter day heir to "Supper's Ready" Alex Lifeson from Rush does some guitar work on it as well.

Gavin Harrison, drummer from Porcupine Tree is now drumming for King Crimson in addition to his regular gig.

Here is Anesthetize live

6XspR65gDRE

Part 2

P66kIMa3tMQ&feature=related

Softskull
02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Now, Cue up "Anesthetize" from "Fear of a Blank Planet". 17+ minutes of pure Proggy goodness. Its a fitting latter day heir to "Supper's Ready" Alex Lifeson from Rush does some guitar work on it as well.

Gavin Harrison, drummer from Porcupine Tree is now drumming for King Crimson in addition to his regular gig.

I liked it. A lot. I watched it the first time. You can tell it meets the definition of Prog. The crowd was non-dancing white men. I've since listen to the entire Fear of a Blank Planet, Deadwing and In Abstentia several times. I saw you mention that music should be played at proper volumes. Having youngin’s around the house, Mrs. Softskull bought me a pair of exceptional headphones a few years ago. It’s not the same as a nice sound room, but beats not listening at all.

I do think Anesthetize seems to be in the lineage of the North American progs rather than the Brits. I see this in line with 2112 far more than Watcher of the Skies or Karn Evil. Regardless, it was an excellent piece and I completely appreciate the lead.

Dreadnought
02-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I liked it. A lot. I watched it the first time. You can tell it meets the definition of Prog. The crowd was non-dancing white men. I've since listen to the entire Fear of a Blank Planet, Deadwing and In Abstentia several times. I saw you mention that music should be played at proper volumes. Having youngin’s around the house, Mrs. Softskull bought me a pair of exceptional headphones a few years ago. It’s not the same as a nice sound room, but beats not listening at all.

I do think Anesthetize seems to be in the lineage of the North American progs rather than the Brits. I see this in line with 2112 far more than Watcher of the Skies or Karn Evil. Regardless, it was an excellent piece and I completely appreciate the lead.

Yes - I am that very same non=dancing white guy :D

Softskull
03-15-2012, 11:29 AM
A quick Prog note. I run several times a week and recently I've been running to Wind and the Wuthering (I don't care if it's a Phil album, it's an exceptional work). 50 minutes of bliss. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I really enjoy Porcupine Tree. They've been getting a boatload of airtime at the house. I'm trying to let Mars Volta grow on me, unsuccessfully so far.

Northman
03-15-2012, 11:34 AM
These guys have a very Devin like quality about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6jJlcgUXg

Northman
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o55dDqUS7OA

Northman
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxFHldceDBY

Softskull
05-26-2012, 01:12 AM
I had an hour to kill. I dusted off the full recording of King Crimson's Red. An hour well spent.

Dreadnought
05-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I had an hour to kill. I dusted off the full recording of King Crimson's Red. An hour well spent. 80% agreed. "Providence" is a grating screeching mess, but the rest is superb. On my top 5 all time list, easily, even with that 10+ minute waste of time on it

Softskull
05-26-2012, 03:39 PM
80% agreed. "Providence" is a grating screeching mess, but the rest is superb. On my top 5 all time list, easily, even with that 10+ minute waste of time on it

Providence is followed by Starless. Starless allows me to forgive Providence, and to me was really one of the last great prog songs of that era (Cinema Show being another). As you mentioned earlier things start to change after 74.

Northman
06-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Not old prog rock but very good new prog metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vz0OntgQ2Y

BroncoNut
06-09-2014, 09:49 AM
I never could warm up to Asia. They always seemed a little too sanitized and mainstream to be really great. Same would apply to Kansas. Not discounting their musicianship, but they just didn't interest me.

Of course the downside of being creative and taking chances is that you get some really awful stuff from time to time; I defy most anyone to sit through the entire 12 or so minutes of "Providence" off of King Crimson's otherwise superb album "Red." Its 12 minutes of pure grating Hell that just seems to last a whole lot longer

it's just not a good idea to name bands after geographical locations. I think there was a band called Europe at one time, Berlin, just to name a few I am sure

Softskull
06-09-2014, 06:13 PM
I love this thread. If I didn't mention it before, PT's In Absentia is a wonderful piece. Thanks for the recommend.

Slick
07-08-2014, 09:44 AM
My step-brother turned me on to Porcupine Tree and another English group called Ozric Tentacles about 8 or 9 years ago. He gave me Signify and Deadwing on the same day that he gave me this Best Of double CD of Ozric Tentacles.

Give this a try Dread, see if you like it....

1-rSysh8xms

Northman
07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNbvS0gNfPo

BroncoNut
07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
3 dogs a night ftw

Northman
07-08-2014, 01:24 PM
3 dogs a night ftw

Is that how many you sleep with or are you talking 3 dog night? lmao

BroncoNut
07-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Is that how many you sleep with or are you talking 3 dog night? lmao

oh shit, the latter. thanks for the correction dear sir

Northman
07-22-2014, 10:12 AM
I think you might dig this Dread. Current day Opeth much lighter vocally than they were when they began. But this is a new tune off the latest record check it out and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHq9yMXw3iA

Dreadnought
07-27-2014, 10:14 PM
I think you might dig this Dread. Current day Opeth much lighter vocally than they were when they began. But this is a new tune off the latest record check it out and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHq9yMXw3iA

You're right, that was really good

Dreadnought
08-29-2014, 08:47 AM
I agreed last night to buy a set of inexpensive headphones for my daughter after she asked for them. I put one condition on the purchase - the first tune she should listen to was "In the Court of the Crimson King"

She told me it was amazing, like there were layers of sound underneath layers of sound, and lots of interesting things going on throughout. That's my Girl!

Softskull
08-29-2014, 10:55 AM
While I don't believe in inexpensive head phones, King Crimson is a nice place for a quality check.

Softskull
08-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Dread, since you're doing a bit of history elsewhere, this year is the 40th anniversary for both Red and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. WTF? Where did the time go?

Dreadnought
08-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Dread, since you're doing a bit of history elsewhere, this year is the 40th anniversary for both Red and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. WTF? Where did the time go?

Wow.

I've was sorely tempted, Softee; King Crimson is going to be in Albany for two shows next Tue and Wed., but tix were $160. With my upcoming Denver trip I couldn't justify it. Now both shows are sold out so its academic.

Softskull
08-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Sorry you cant make the local shows but a Bronco's gig never sucks. I saw that KC would be out here in October. The band has an interesting collection of player on the current tour and I'm a big Tony Levin fan. The tickets here are only $125 for the up close and personal orchestra seats at the Warfield. My problem is the two hour drive on a Friday night to SF. I did the Berkeley show for Peter Gabriel two years ago. Makes for a long evening. Did I mention 40 years ago?

pulse
01-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Really looking forward to the upcoming solo album Hand. Cannot Erase. by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and Opeth (producer) fame. His last album, The Raven that Refused to Sing won all kinds of awards in 2013 and was a purely 1970s style progressive rock album that sounded like it could have very well been some lost gem in the vinyl rack from 1973. This album, on the other hand, incorporates some of his other more contemporary songwriting styles. It's still a progressive/experimental rock album for sure and it still has the same beastly musicians. The video previews sound amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49HxZ8yVpqk

Dreadnought
01-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Really looking forward to the upcoming solo album Hand. Cannot Erase. by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree and Opeth (producer) fame. His last album, The Raven that Refused to Sing won all kinds of awards in 2013 and was a purely 1970s style progressive rock album that sounded like it could have very well been some lost gem in the vinyl rack from 1973. This album, on the other hand, incorporates some of his other more contemporary songwriting styles. It's still a progressive/experimental rock album for sure and it still has the same beastly musicians. The video previews sound amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49HxZ8yVpqk

Thanks for the heads up! I really liked "the Raven that refused to sing" and I am convinced Steven Wilson is pretty much the most brilliant writer/composer/musician out there right now. Looking forward to this new effort

pulse
01-12-2015, 03:06 PM
With the moon.. above... and the sun.. below...

dun dunnn.. dun dunnnn.. dun dunn... dun dunnnnnn...

pulse
02-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Steven Wilson's new album, Hand. Cannot. Erase. is a 10/10. He must have sold his soul. It's crazy damn good as in among the best albums of this decade good. Glad I have the Blu-ray coming. I can't wait to hear this in 5.1 surround.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/

pulse
02-24-2015, 09:26 PM
You can stream the first track off of Hand.Cannot.Erase. here:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/stream-first-regret-3-years-older-from-hand-cannot-erase/

If that link is slow:

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wilson/first-regret-3-years-older

Dreadnought
02-24-2015, 10:37 PM
You can stream the first track off of Hand.Cannot.Erase. here:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/stream-first-regret-3-years-older-from-hand-cannot-erase/

Very nice, thanks! Kind of reminds me a bit of Porcupine Tree meets Yes at times

Slick
02-27-2015, 02:45 PM
eK1hmDpa8bo

NJPAjiSX7Rk

Acceptable for this thread, Dread?

Alex Lifeson's guitar playing in the mid to late 70's was fantastic. I forced Estela to listen to both 2112 and Hemispheres in their entirety one day when we were relaxing on the beach with a cooler full of beer and a couple of left handed cigarettes.

pulse
02-28-2015, 12:55 PM

lol... Does a bear shit in the woods?

Northman
02-28-2015, 12:58 PM
eK1hmDpa8bo

NJPAjiSX7Rk

Alex Lifeson's guitar playing in the mid to late 70's was fantastic. I forced Estela to listen to both 2112 and Hemispheres in their entirety one day when we were relaxing on the beach with a cooler full of beer and a couple of left handed cigarettes.

Rush is always acceptable.

pulse
03-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase. is sitting atop the rateyourmusic (https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2015) poll for 2015. Well-deserved! If you have a surround sound system, I highly recommend picking up the Blu-ray. One of the best surround mixes of an album I have heard. Also nice to see The Neal Morse Band, Beardfish and Blind Gaurdian in the top 20 as well.

Slick
06-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Chris Squire died.

There was a stage in my life when I listened to a lot of Yes. Especially their older albums. Great bass player. His music will live on.

Northman
06-29-2015, 05:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKQjiFN0Ob8

Dreadnought
11-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase. is sitting atop the rateyourmusic (https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2015) poll for 2015. Well-deserved! If you have a surround sound system, I highly recommend picking up the Blu-ray. One of the best surround mixes of an album I have heard. Also nice to see The Neal Morse Band, Beardfish and Blind Gaurdian in the top 20 as well.

A belated thanks to Pulse, who gave me a heads up on Steven Wilson playing in Albany. I took my 14 year old daughter to the show, both of us were blown away. She now sports her "Hand. Cannot. Erase" hoodie regularly

chazoe60
11-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Dread!!!!!!!!!/

Rex
11-02-2015, 02:09 PM
A belated thanks to Pulse, who gave me a heads up on Steven Wilson playing in Albany. I took my 14 year old daughter to the show, both of us were blown away. She now sports her "Hand. Cannot. Erase" hoodie regularly

How are things on Hillary's campaign tour?

Dreadnought
11-02-2015, 02:14 PM
How are things on Hillary's campaign tour?

Excellent. We are researching more effective wrinkle-cream formulations, and are quite optimistic that we will be able to present her as a fresh young agent of change

Rex
11-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Excellent. We are researching more effective wrinkle-cream formulations, and are quite optimistic that we will be able to present her as a fresh young agent of change

Did they test it on your wrinkled old dong?

Dreadnought
11-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Did they test it on your wrinkled old dong?

I'm not going to discuss my personal parts with you in this place, Sir. This is a thread about grand old overwrought music, mostly from the 1970's

Dreadnought
12-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Check this out. The song, Routine, is from Steven Wilson's latest album, and in its original form is done as a duet with Israeli singer Ninet Tayeb. I think it is the most hauntingly sad song I have ever heard in my many years, and utterly beautiful. This version of it is done as a solo by Ninet Tayeb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DxqQ5_fOsM

Softskull
12-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Tayeb is the new PJ Harvey. Wilson is just magnificent Wilson.

Northman
12-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Here you go Dreader, give these guys a whirl and see what you think. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4I1aVm4QyQ

BroncoJoe
12-08-2015, 05:52 PM
aBQalkIeE7s

BroncoJoe
12-08-2015, 05:56 PM
CoI8meVAySE

Slick
12-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Here you go Dreader, give these guys a whirl and see what you think. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4I1aVm4QyQ

I don't like the way he has his snare drum tuned but that drummer is an animal. Whoa!

Northman
12-18-2015, 06:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzv2Kcbzpo0

Northman
01-09-2016, 10:19 PM
This band comes out of Spain but has a very Soundgarden feel to them. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHNpLWoM7vo

Dreadnought
03-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Going to see Steven Wilson again tonight. Pretty fired up!

This is his cover of Space Oddity with Israeli singer Ninet Tayeb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGNRaUOg6JE&list=RDNGNRaUOg6JE

Dreadnought
03-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Keith Emerson died at age 71. He was my childhood musical hero above all others. ELP hasn't aged as well as some other contemporary Prog, but they put on a Hell of a show back in the '70s. I got to see them live in their heyday, and it was memorable

RIP

Northman
08-01-2016, 10:13 AM
New stuff by Opeth Dread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4O4WdcQ-Vk

Softskull
09-19-2016, 10:35 PM
I was listening to Gentle Giant's Octopus. Thought of Dread. Is that weird?

pulse
10-02-2016, 04:48 PM
The four song stretch of Seventh Sojourn, Strange Brew, A Fleeting Glance and Era is bloody damn amazing on Opeth's new album, Sorceress.

Softskull
12-09-2016, 10:06 PM
I know Dred loathes the Phil Collins Genesis. But how about the Genesis drummer Collins vs. KC Bruford? I believe that Collins in the 1975 range (Genesis and Brand X) was ridiculous.
Where you at old man?

Dreadnought
09-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Got tickets to see King Crimson on 11/8. Saw them in Rochester in Late June, and pretty fired up to see them again. Robert Fripp is the GOAT in his craft IMO

Northman
09-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Got tickets to see King Crimson on 11/8. Saw them in Rochester in Late June, and pretty fired up to see them again. Robert Fripp is the GOAT in his craft IMO

A friend of mine LOVES King Crimson.

Hawgdriver
09-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Dread, you ever get into these guys? Stumbled on them a couple years ago.

Zwsb5kaLh00

BroncoJoe
09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
I don't know if this qualifies, but loved this song in the early 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmQlBfxh4Us

I remember being amazed at the album (yes - vinyl) itself - laser etched:

Slick
09-19-2017, 03:10 PM
That's not progressive rock babycakes.

BroncoJoe
09-19-2017, 03:37 PM
That's not progressive rock babycakes.

Note my opening statement. It's probably best described as progressive punk, but the two are not necessarily opposed to each other.

Fine though. How about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoI8meVAySE

Dreadnought
09-22-2017, 09:57 AM
Dread, you ever get into these guys? Stumbled on them a couple years ago.

Zwsb5kaLh00

Yes, very familiar with Caravan, Slick. The best band of the Canterbury Scene IMO

Valar Morghulis
09-23-2017, 12:58 AM
Yes, very familiar with Caravan, Slick. The best band of the Canterbury Scene IMO

Do they sing about a golf course and raining golf balls?

Dreadnought
09-23-2017, 04:18 AM
Do they sing about a golf course and raining golf balls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hsp-C6mQGo

Poet
09-23-2017, 07:40 PM
I listened to a King Crimson song on Spotify. Wasn't too bad.

Hawgdriver
09-23-2017, 07:57 PM
This is my favorite KC song.

WwFYy_Th7BA

Dreadnought
09-25-2017, 09:09 AM
This is my favorite KC song.

WwFYy_Th7BA

The Night Watch is great! And, how often do you see a tune written about a freakin' Rembrandt painting?

Poet
09-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Court of the Crimson King is interesting.

I sort of picture Dreadnought as a nerd playing Dungeons and Dragons, though.

Dreadnought
09-26-2017, 10:25 AM
King Crimson doing a superb David Bowie cover. NB - Robert Fripp also played guitar on Bowie's original recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eBmRcVMu74

Dreadnought
09-26-2017, 10:28 AM
And another great Bowie cover - this one Steven Wilson and Ninet Tayeb covering Space Oddity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGNRaUOg6JE

Dreadnought
11-08-2017, 01:06 PM
The King Crimson concert begins in 7 hours. 7 HOURS!

Hawgdriver
11-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Hope you have a red nightmare.

Hawgdriver
11-09-2017, 12:04 AM
How was it?

Dreadnought
11-09-2017, 01:46 PM
How was it?

I am at a loss for words. I saw them in June with my brother, and it was a very good show. This one was excellent. It was a better venue, better acoustics, only about 1000 seats. The musicianship was dazzling. I have no other way to put it. These guys know their craft, know each other, and are still on top of their game. They played amazingly complex pieces flawlessly seemingly effortlessly. It was obvious they enjoyed playing with each other I used to think Jakko Jaksczyk's vocals were a weak spot, but I have changed my mind on that now.

My only complaint is that from my seat I couldn't really see Robert Fripp very well, given as how he plays over in a corner

Hawgdriver
11-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Dread, did you ever hear some unsavory King Crimson rumors? I heard some seriously fruity stuff in a youtube comment. MO told me that's a good unbiased source for that kind of stuff. Hi MO.

Anyway, this is what I'm listening to. Oddly, Wikipedia recommended it to me based on having read McCammon's Swan Song. Visionary post-apocalypse stuff. Anyone ever listened to this? Has a 'cult' following they say.

xNqSNmSx9uI

Hawgdriver
11-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Dread, tell me of your King Crimson journey.

On Maynard's suggestion, I bought the King Crimson box set, 4 discs. I enjoyed it but focused my attention on disc 2 in particular (a lot from Larks Tongues, Starless, and Red).

Which albums moved you? Tell me the arc of your fandom.

Dreadnought
11-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Dread, tell me of your King Crimson journey.

On Maynard's suggestion, I bought the King Crimson box set, 4 discs. I enjoyed it but focused my attention on disc 2 in particular (a lot from Larks Tongues, Starless, and Red).

Which albums moved you? Tell me the arc of your fandom.

I remember as a kid getting a small transistor radio for Christmas. I used to listen to a "Progressive Rock" station in the very early '70's, usually with lights out under the covers, with the radio volume so low my parents couldn't hear, radio pressed against my ear. Such stations have barely existed since @1975, stations started being bought up wholesale, when corporate consultants started providing services to dictate play-lists to their stations. The closest thing now is some of the college stations. Anywho, WCMF in Rochester would play long form stuff, whatever the DJ's wanted to play, and one night I heard "In the Court of the Crimson King" - and I'd never even imagined anything so cool could even exist.

My first favorite band was actually ELP, and then I learned that Greg Lake and also been lead vocalist for that strange band King Crimson on ITCOTCK. Had to listen to more! A buddy of mine had "Lark's Tongues in Aspic"*, which he lent me, and then I found "Lizard" (much underappreciated) in a used record bin for $1.00. Other bands come and go as my temporary favorites, but I have never gotten tired of KC. I never could learn to love KC with Adrian Belew; they're good, but not quite the thing. The best era IMO is Larks Tongues, Starless, and Red, and the concurrent King Crimson:USA live album. For earlier stuff the First album is a true classic, "In the Wake of Poseidon" is good, "Lizard" excellent, 'islands" is sorta weak

* far be it from me to advocate such things, and we're talking over 40 years ago, but listening to "Larks Tongues in Aspic: Part 1" with good headphones on in the dark after what Dogfish calls "left-handed cigarettes" and a few beers? Otherworldly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVb2tnFN5AA

Hawgdriver
11-16-2017, 09:01 PM
wow dude, I'm so glad I asked and what a quality response

Hawgdriver
12-06-2017, 03:11 AM
teenage flashback

bvXaLZZ6M3M

Hawgdriver
12-07-2017, 07:54 PM
FeYzQbBmYf8

Hawgdriver
12-07-2017, 07:54 PM
I am a fan of the early SD albums. They are amazing. The later ones are quite good.

Dreadnought
12-07-2017, 08:43 PM
I am a fan of the early SD albums. They are amazing. The later ones are quite good.

I finally learned to love Steely Dan only a couple of years ago, and I agree completely

Hawgdriver
12-07-2017, 08:50 PM
I finally learned to love Steely Dan only a couple of years ago, and I agree completely

What put you off? Fagan's voice?

Dreadnought
12-07-2017, 10:42 PM
What put you off? Fagan's voice?

A little bit - plus a crap-ton of overexposure on the radio in the 70's. They were also jazzier and more mellow than I preferred in those days

Northman
12-08-2017, 06:18 AM
teenage flashback

bvXaLZZ6M3M

Love love love..... \m/

For Dread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsTjVxCfx04

Dreadnought
01-30-2018, 07:25 PM
I've been kinda into these guys lately. 1970's trippy German music from Can. Thats the name of the band, Can. GREAT drumming from Jaki Leibezit if you give it a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVi-UTF9PL4

Hawgdriver
01-31-2018, 08:58 PM
Dread, would you let these guys in the club?

BFW00MK6exg

1997 is pretty old.

Softskull
02-02-2018, 08:34 PM
King Crimson doing a superb David Bowie cover. NB - Robert Fripp also played guitar on Bowie's original recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eBmRcVMu74

It's still strange to see Tony Levin in the line up. I've seen him many times with gabriel.

Northman
09-12-2018, 09:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tViMPqYJjMw

Northman
11-12-2018, 03:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=xjHPTwVj5ps

Northman
12-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Not sure how often Dread pokes his head on here but i think he would REALLY dig this. Very old school classic prog rock vibe with a minimal amount of metal in the vocals. But 99% of it is in that classic prog rock vibe. Im in love with record currently. Sadly, no youtube vids to go off of but you can hear the entire album on their bandcamp page.

https://they3.bandcamp.com/album/unspeakable?fbclid=IwAR0ppl-JD7HYoLQyoQFXMIV8qc-IWMiNqMxkxAMcwbcVGmy87BHRNBbJles

Northman
02-13-2019, 06:19 AM
I hope Dread doesnt mind as i know not everyone checks my radio thread (because a majority of it is metal) but i do have a specific spotlight segment on Sundays that includes a lot of old/new prog rock music and figured i would share this update. If Dread doesnt want it in here than a mod can remove it with no issues.

As you are well aware on Sundays i have a spotlight segment for Classic Rock/Prog Rock/Modern Prog/Classic Rock etc. This week i am adding a lot of material from these artists (many whom i had never heard of but enjoyed) to beef up the already stellar roster in that time slot.

Carnargue
Catapilla
Christiaan Bruin
Crazy Dog
Far East Family Band
Flower Travilin Band
Flyte
Grannie
Lipo Murtojarvi
Jane
Jupiter Sunset
Lucy in Blue
Mariah
Neon Pearl
Novalis
Phideaux
Power of Zeus
Project Tyme
Riverside
S. Ramses
Saint Steven
Satchitamanda
Schooltree
Semistereo
Soen
Steve Hackett
The Eyes
Water

As always, if you guys have any recommendations of albums or songs you would like to have me consider adding to this particular spotlight than feel free to chime in.
http://djanubisreviews.blogspot.com (https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdjanubisreviews.blogspot.com %2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1jAG8QXJtxnEDySt28nTclwjwi3OtkX vlhaBOWbAcM06E_ENUbpqsnRjY&h=AT0msRytktLg1UImakrQsRToCaHh1pKCMRePdJhikNKBBp9j vnzTUGMjfWuR2cWi4yNrpCJAUpXyIDp_ME0xTfHQdjAOQqNhy9 fWe0Igu2nre-4CUOHyFFsNAbnz095lMUA5J0TfV-pHBTuA2RoSZD418iwT)

Northman
02-15-2019, 04:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dzed3vOWsAAAlzZ.jpg

Hawgdriver
02-26-2019, 12:03 PM
my son asked to listen to this on the drive to school

Em2Bvb-Hz6Q

good for you, son

Dreadnought
02-26-2019, 12:17 PM
my son asked to listen to this on the drive to school

Em2Bvb-Hz6Q

good for you, son

Oh HELL YES!!!!!

Northman
02-26-2019, 12:37 PM
There are so many reasons why Devin Townsend kicks so much ass and this is one of them. Dude is a genius and cannot wait for the new album to drop later in March. This video is fantastic to boot, he does so many different things musically in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n7uvokARQ4

Hawgdriver
02-28-2019, 02:15 AM
Not sure how often Dread pokes his head on here but i think he would REALLY dig this. Very old school classic prog rock vibe with a minimal amount of metal in the vocals. But 99% of it is in that classic prog rock vibe. Im in love with record currently. Sadly, no youtube vids to go off of but you can hear the entire album on their bandcamp page.

https://they3.bandcamp.com/album/unspeakable?fbclid=IwAR0ppl-JD7HYoLQyoQFXMIV8qc-IWMiNqMxkxAMcwbcVGmy87BHRNBbJles

surprisingly good, although I shouldn't be surprised

Northman
09-02-2019, 07:10 AM
I know Dread is still knee deep cleaning his TOOL right now but dont think i have recommended anything in a while. Here is some stuff for you to check out when you get time you dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbA95B55S70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k4Vr6BBXJs&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54UardpfTzY

Northman
11-18-2019, 08:37 AM
For Dread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqHQoA8h49c

Northman
11-18-2019, 09:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3WIa_Z35p0

Dreadnought
11-18-2019, 11:49 AM
For Dread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqHQoA8h49c

That was very good - Thanks!

Hawgdriver
11-18-2019, 02:52 PM
The bass solo in the Mountainhead tune was sublime...great stuff.

Northman
01-30-2020, 12:26 PM
For Dread obviously but also in remembrance of Sean Reinhart who passed away recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODCqGhrIWWw

Hawgdriver
02-03-2020, 04:10 PM
Dead Empires

Giving this a first listen and I like it. Not sure if it's prog or metal or what, because it's not really either one. Well, tell me what you think.

a12w25onjkg

Hawgdriver
02-04-2020, 03:20 AM
HFxTFAlQkUk

A+

Softskull
10-22-2020, 07:46 PM
We take you now, to a garage, in Canoga Park.

I don't know what you call Zappa, but today it's Prog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNJQFbkOjkg

Softskull
10-22-2020, 08:04 PM
And while I'm here... I never really loved Rush but saw them in 1983 with Golden earring. Set list: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1983/the-forum-inglewood-ca-1bd1ed34.html Isn't the www groovy?. No way I would have remembered that. I do remember the drummer of Golden Earring trying to jump over his drum set at the end of the show. He failed. It added to the show.

I've seen oodles o' video's of this song live. It's just so hard to beat this studio version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCCN5umy9lU

Hawgdriver
10-22-2020, 08:10 PM
Zappa has been a mixed bag for me but I haven't heard that much of his stuff. You have an album to recommend?

Hawgdriver
10-22-2020, 08:16 PM
Btw, all prog rock and porn 'stache drummer fans need to check out this cut (my fav song of 2020 but it came out in 2017) and then explore the King Gizz discog. Check out the frets on the guitar too...

efZ-8EbFWic

Softskull
10-22-2020, 08:33 PM
Zappa has been a mixed bag for me but I haven't heard that much of his stuff. You have an album to recommend?

Zappa is all over the map. The song I linked was from the album Over Nite Sensation. A bit seedy - very solid and listenable.

My favorite is Joe's Garage. As a street urchin that grew up in Canoga Park, it's an anti-anthem.

Hawgdriver
10-22-2020, 08:41 PM
Zappa is all over the map. The song I linked was from the album Over Nite Sensation. A bit seedy - very solid and listenable.

My favorite is Joe's Garage. As a street urchin that grew up in Canoga Park, it's an anti-anthem.

Ok. I'm going to grill some tofu steaks to the dulcet tones of Joe's Garage.

Softskull
10-22-2020, 08:49 PM
Ok. I'm going to grill some tofu steaks to the dulcet tones of Joe's Garage.

Quite the combo.
I've done the mostly vegan diet over the last 18 months. It hasn't stuck.
Everything in moderation.
Enjoy the rock opera.

Hawgdriver
10-22-2020, 10:35 PM
Quite the combo.
I've done the mostly vegan diet over the last 18 months. It hasn't stuck.
Everything in moderation.
Enjoy the rock opera.

I just like tofu steaks sometimes, it's not dietary. Great texture and picks up the flavor of the steaks I cooked in the same pan.

Joe's Garage is great. Did you know that Watermelon in Easter Hay is a terrific example of a song that uses the Lydian mode? Neat, huh? That's one of the few Zappa songs I already knew about, I'm no fancy musician that can tell such things upon first listen.

Softskull
10-23-2020, 05:04 PM
I just like tofu steaks sometimes, it's not dietary. Great texture and picks up the flavor of the steaks I cooked in the same pan.

Joe's Garage is great. Did you know that Watermelon in Easter Hay is a terrific example of a song that uses the Lydian mode? Neat, huh? That's one of the few Zappa songs I already knew about, I'm no fancy musician that can tell such things upon first listen.

You *******. I had to look up Lydian mode. Read about it twice and still don't understand. Listen to Watermelon in Easter Hay to see if I could absorb the meaning. Didn't do any better - but a magnificent piece.
Did you listen to all three acts? I should have hinted you'd be investing a substantial chunk o' time - but worth it.

"So he goes back to his ugly little room and quietly dreams his last imaginary guitar solo"

Hawgdriver
10-23-2020, 08:23 PM
You *******. I had to look up Lydian mode. Read about it twice and still don't understand. Listen to Watermelon in Easter Hay to see if I could absorb the meaning. Didn't do any better - but a magnificent piece.
Did you listen to all three acts? I should have hinted you'd be investing a substantial chunk o' time - but worth it.

"So he goes back to his ugly little room and quietly dreams his last imaginary guitar solo"

I think maybe I did? Was it about 1 hr 55m?

This is about to get nerdy but I know my audience and think it's worth the effort:

Lydian mode for someone with minimal musical background.

Imagine a piano. You have white keys and black keys. Did you know that if you only play the black keys that this is playing a 'pentatonic' scale? What that means is that it's very musical. Enough of that.

If you play only the white keys, there are seven notes--C, D, E, F, G, A, and B. And I began with C for a reason--the C-major scale is kind of the universal solvent of music, like water. You can doodle around but as long as you involve C and make sure you end on a C, you will do something musical. It's just how the western ear is these days. This is the C-major scale, it begins with C and ends with C.

What's interesting is that the C major scale avoids the black keys. However, each key is equivalent and identical--this is the premise of modern instrument tuning. It's called TET-12 or EQ-12 or something like that, it doesn't matter, but the idea is that between each octave there are 12 'steps' or 'tones' or 'intervals', but each 12th one is kind of identical to each other--they form a class (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B). This is why there are several 'C' notes or 'C# notes (also sometimes called Db notes)'. The thing to remember is that each interval from one note to the next is an identical interval. The frequency difference will increase, but maybe not on a logarithmic scale--the important thing is that each octave is a precise doubling of frequency.

Ok, I think I lost everyone.

The important thing--12 semi-tones or intervals or notes, they are basically 12 slices of an octave pie.

In the C-major scale that avoids the black keys, that scale avoids these notes: C#, D#, F#, G#, A#. So it has 7/12 of them.

Now here is where it all starts to make sense. There is a precise pattern to all major scales, and it is this: 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1. That is, the interval between consecutive/subsequent notes in the major scale is additive, C +2, then +2, then +1, then +2, ...

So it skips C#, D#, but goes directly from E to F, skips F#, etc.

This pattern exists for all major scales that begin on any arbitrary note.

So for the F# major scale, it will also follow the 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1 pattern. F# plus 2 is G#. Then plus 2 is A#. Then plus 1 is B. Then plus 2 is C#, and so on.

I know this is super mathy, but here is the payoff.

You can get all kinds of funky if you mess around with patterns. Lydian, for example, uses a 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1 pattern. The easiest way to explain this is that if you only played white keys on the piano, but began and ended with 'F', you have the F-Lydian scale (mode is what it's called but the meaning is essentially the same). Think about it--F, G, A, B, C, D, E. There is no black key between B and C nor E and F. So it's a 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1 pattern.

This is cool because it gives a notably different sound that is hard to put into words. Listen to Watermelon in Easter Hay and that is what 'Lydian' means. It just has a kind of sound like herbs have a scent.

Rush and Yes and many prog bands mess around in a similar manner. Rush has a lot of Phyrigian mode stuff. I'm not sure off the top of my head what Phyrigian is, but it is a variation/re-ordering of the 2221221 order. It might be 1221222, or 1222122.

There are exactly 7 of these modes, and they each have a kind of distinctive sound. A lot of folk music is distinctive based on the usage of these types of modes. And these particular modes are just one template for manipulating this 12-tone structure that modern instruments are premised upon.

What I think is pretty sweet is that the song I just shared by King Gizz was from their 'Flying Microtonal Banana' album in which they experiment with microtonal music, that is, using notes outside of that 12-tone structure.

omg, what did I just do

Softskull
10-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Good for you in putting in the investment on Zappa. He's definitely the mad chef of his generation.

Thank you and well done on the explanation. That made perfect sense.

Are you a mathematician that plays music or a mathematician that simply enjoys music?

Hawgdriver
10-23-2020, 08:38 PM
Good for you in putting in the investment on Zappa. He's definitely the mad chef of his generation.

Thank you and well done on the explanation. That made perfect sense.

Are you a mathematician that plays music or a mathematician that simply enjoys music?

Music and math are my two loves. My wife never stood a chance.

Softskull
10-23-2020, 08:42 PM
You would have been fine if you married a Norwegian willow flute.
Don't listen to me. I give horrible marriage advice.

Northman
09-26-2021, 07:51 PM
Havent seen Dread in a long time so i hope he is doing well. But if he sees this i hope he likes it, so beautiful and one of my favorite records of the year.

https://youtu.be/QmVXjZiCwiQ

Hawgdriver
12-12-2021, 10:29 PM
Listening to Moonchild by King Crimson, thought about Dread.

Hawgdriver
01-05-2022, 05:54 AM
Dread turned me on to the song Desire Lines by Deerhunter. My band is working on a cover. The song kicks ass. I'll share when we record it. I get to sing and play the lead guitar stuff on keys. It is difficult because the melody line doesn't follow anything--for example, in the verse section, there's a lot of drone/repeated B notes. "When you were youuuuung..." is B-B-B-B. Not too bad, it's over a Gmaj and Emaj/minor chord thing, where the B is the major third of the G chord and the fifth of the E. But the actual sound isn't present. Then there are other chords that don't fit nicely, you have to hit a C# over an E minor chord. Then an A and a B in the chorus section during a C-major chord, that's weird (the 'wo-' part of 'wo-ah' in "walking free, whoa"). The A note kinda turns it into an A-minor chord over the top of a C-major chord, and the B makes it a C-maj7, cool af but really damned hard for me to nail. It's a happy major chord but you are singing the sads. Etc. Anyways, I'm stoked. I suggested the song and the band loves it.

Lx57to-9mGw

Softskull
09-23-2022, 08:41 PM
I think maybe I did? Was it about 1 hr 55m?

This is about to get nerdy but I know my audience and think it's worth the effort:

Lydian mode for someone with minimal musical background.

Imagine a piano. You have white keys and black keys. Did you know that if you only play the black keys that this is playing a 'pentatonic' scale? What that means is that it's very musical. Enough of that.

If you play only the white keys, there are seven notes--C, D, E, F, G, A, and B. And I began with C for a reason--the C-major scale is kind of the universal solvent of music, like water. You can doodle around but as long as you involve C and make sure you end on a C, you will do something musical. It's just how the western ear is these days. This is the C-major scale, it begins with C and ends with C.

What's interesting is that the C major scale avoids the black keys. However, each key is equivalent and identical--this is the premise of modern instrument tuning. It's called TET-12 or EQ-12 or something like that, it doesn't matter, but the idea is that between each octave there are 12 'steps' or 'tones' or 'intervals', but each 12th one is kind of identical to each other--they form a class (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B). This is why there are several 'C' notes or 'C# notes (also sometimes called Db notes)'. The thing to remember is that each interval from one note to the next is an identical interval. The frequency difference will increase, but maybe not on a logarithmic scale--the important thing is that each octave is a precise doubling of frequency.

Ok, I think I lost everyone.

The important thing--12 semi-tones or intervals or notes, they are basically 12 slices of an octave pie.

In the C-major scale that avoids the black keys, that scale avoids these notes: C#, D#, F#, G#, A#. So it has 7/12 of them.

Now here is where it all starts to make sense. There is a precise pattern to all major scales, and it is this: 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1. That is, the interval between consecutive/subsequent notes in the major scale is additive, C +2, then +2, then +1, then +2, ...

So it skips C#, D#, but goes directly from E to F, skips F#, etc.

This pattern exists for all major scales that begin on any arbitrary note.

So for the F# major scale, it will also follow the 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1 pattern. F# plus 2 is G#. Then plus 2 is A#. Then plus 1 is B. Then plus 2 is C#, and so on.

I know this is super mathy, but here is the payoff.

You can get all kinds of funky if you mess around with patterns. Lydian, for example, uses a 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1 pattern. The easiest way to explain this is that if you only played white keys on the piano, but began and ended with 'F', you have the F-Lydian scale (mode is what it's called but the meaning is essentially the same). Think about it--F, G, A, B, C, D, E. There is no black key between B and C nor E and F. So it's a 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1 pattern.

This is cool because it gives a notably different sound that is hard to put into words. Listen to Watermelon in Easter Hay and that is what 'Lydian' means. It just has a kind of sound like herbs have a scent.

Rush and Yes and many prog bands mess around in a similar manner. Rush has a lot of Phyrigian mode stuff. I'm not sure off the top of my head what Phyrigian is, but it is a variation/re-ordering of the 2221221 order. It might be 1221222, or 1222122.

There are exactly 7 of these modes, and they each have a kind of distinctive sound. A lot of folk music is distinctive based on the usage of these types of modes. And these particular modes are just one template for manipulating this 12-tone structure that modern instruments are premised upon.

What I think is pretty sweet is that the song I just shared by King Gizz was from their 'Flying Microtonal Banana' album in which they experiment with microtonal music, that is, using notes outside of that 12-tone structure.

omg, what did I just do

Greatest post ever!

Softskull
09-23-2022, 08:44 PM
I've been jamming some old Yes albums.
I miss Dread. Here's to the old man that on a sailing ship to nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx_GIji9EGw

Hawgdriver
03-15-2023, 11:07 AM
On another mini Rush kick.

Masterpiece.

Also, live. What mastery!

eK1hmDpa8bo

I'm also nerding hard on Geddy's bass tone. So fuggin boss. I love how he uses all of the instrument to express himself. (For example plucking near the neck or in relation to pickups and with more or less reckless force).

Slick
03-15-2023, 03:35 PM
Absolute effing masters of their craft. All 3 of them. Like having Prime John Elway, Jerry Rice and Bo Jackson all on the same team.

Love that band and was lucky enough to see them in 1990. The Presto Tour (which is kind of where I stopped buying their stuff because Alex toned his guitar much softer and frilly and Geddy couldn’t scream like he used to).

That song you just posted played live like that is amazing! So damn talented those guys.

2112 and Hemispheres are so effing good too imo. Really like that early Rush with Alex playing loud and different distortions like a 70’s rock god.

Hell yeah Hawg!