PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning, Broncos coach Mike McCoy a perfect match

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Peyton Manning has a reputation as a control freak, so the first thing he told his new Denver Broncos coaches when it was time to go to work might surprise you.

Truth is, it probably wasn't wholly expected in Denver, either.

"The great thing is from Day 1, his first time out here, he said to us, 'Hey, I wanna learn your system,' " Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said Tuesday, after wrapping up the club's second day of OTAs. "He said that he knew we'd had success, our receivers had success, in that system before we changed some things around last year, and he wanted us to teach it to him."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82944ade/article/peyton-manning-broncos-coach-mike-mccoy-a-perfect-match?module=HP11_hot_topics

Day1BroncoFan
05-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Hope it works.

NightTerror218
05-25-2012, 02:09 PM
If he means moving the ball between the 20s. But that QB sucked in the redzone. It also was horrible rushing offense too. I dont want that offense. I want a tweaked version of what Manning does. I like his hurry up and in denver elevation it will be deadly.

Chef Zambini
05-25-2012, 02:32 PM
"I want to learn your system"
outstanding.
what does he have planned for week #2 ?

dogfish
05-25-2012, 02:37 PM
ideal match. . . manning is good at doing football stuff, and mccoy is great at shutting up and staying out of the way. . .

Chef Zambini
05-25-2012, 03:00 PM
.. if the offense is a suit, it will be tailored to fit manning, the guy that is gonna "wear it"
anything else would be stoopid.

underrated29
05-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Mccoy wants to run mcdaniels offense, which imo is really good.

Mccoy just sucks testicles at play calling and predictability and imagination/creating plays and adjusting. Manning on the other hand, calls his own plays at the LOS because he is not a dipsh*t idiot.

So basically we take mcdaniels offense, with manning calling the plays and mccoy just sits quiet on the sidelines not doing much (but getting the credit)--this works fine for me. Whatever we can do to get mccoy from calling the game, we are good.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-25-2012, 03:27 PM
I can't wait to see Manning running the zone read option! :laugh:

He's so tall he'll fall forward for two yards!

silkamilkamonico
05-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Perfect match.

Manning can run the offense and call the plays. McCoy can keep quiet, not say a word and make sure everyone stays out of Mannings way

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I do not understand the disrespect McCoy gets on here. If he had not TOTALLY changed the offense for Tebow - we may have landed Luck - as there is no way Tebow would have have had success with a NORMAL offense.

NightTrainLayne
05-25-2012, 04:18 PM
I do not understand the disrespect McCoy gets on here. If he had not TOTALLY changed the offense for Tebow - we may have landed Luck - as there is no way Tebow would have have had success with a NORMAL offense.

McCoy is likely quite underrated at this moment.

After a couple seasons with Manning, he'll probably be overrated.

Such is life.

NightTerror218
05-25-2012, 04:21 PM

All OC have to adjust the offense to match the QBs skill sets. It is their job. But no able to call plays or adjust plays or anything where he fails. Fox had a lot to do with the Tebow led offense. Fox wanted a run first offense not the McDaniel offense that McCoy wants to run. Fox now has the best QB and knows that passing is going to be the way to go. he is not and idiot to install a run first offense with Manning as QB. I think McCoy has done shit. McDaniels had his offense and McCoy wants to stick with that. Tebow took over and they knew they had to adjust it. So they went run heavy. You would think that McCoy could have done a better offense then a option read offense, but heck he just went with what Tebow did in college. Not a good OC in my opinion.

A run heavy offense is also a great offense to break in a young QB to the speed of the game and get them use to it.

Hawgdriver
05-25-2012, 04:29 PM
McCoy is at his best with concepts and film. He's good at finding a few ways of exploiting each week's defensive weaknesses to the advantage of his personnel. His weakness appears to be staying in sync with the flow of the game and recognition of defensive adjustments from snap to snap--Manning's strength.

Manning should be a great complement for McCoy. On the other hand, a new offense gives Manning some fresh ideas and keeps him challenged. It's not like the offense is something new under the sun, it's just repackaged versions of components Manning has previously mastered. I like it.

underrated29
05-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Disagree to the highest degree....

First- it is not only a fallacy to say Tebow could not succeed with a normal offense but a myth. We have proof that he could. He (TT) played in that "Normal" offense for two preseasons, 3 games at the end of one season and a game or two last season. And you know what. He scored a fair amount of points. Won one game (texans) came within one play of winning another (chargers) and had a 300+ passing game. It has been PROVEN he can play in a normal offense....The problem was for him, was that he was really really raw, and against good teams, he was just not ready. In fact, he was not really ready for any team, but as you can see, he did remarkably well.

Second- Mccoy- as I have stated numerous times in my mccoy thread was the worst play caller in the history of OCs. And this has nothing to do with tebow. because, as we have Seen with our own eyes as proof, tebow can throw the ball down field and further more CAN THROW A SCREEN PASS! I still have challenged any and all mccoy backers to give me 5 screen plays to the RB, to the WR and 5 crossing patterns over the middle in the short zone.

Reason why no one can come up with them is because Mccoy sucks and never called them. NEVER. Now that would be fine under most circumstances, however, there are a few rules to play calling. I wont go into all of them but here is a nice easy one.
WHEN THE DEFENSE IS SELLING OUT AGAINST THE RUN, AND BLITZING AND PLAYING THE RUN ON THE WAY TO THE QB, YOU BEAT THE BLITZ WITH A SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just ask Drew Brees and Darren Sproles about this. Teams that tried to blitz brees got destroyed by darren sproles with screens. Mccoy NEVER did this, he never called screens and thus, teams Tee'd off on tebow and ate him alive. Sure, there were times when tebow held the ball for 38 seconds running around like an idiot, (cuz this is the favorite retort arguement) but that has nothing to do with beating the blitz. Secondly, the middle of the field is WIDE OPEN. I have all the games on record, go back and look if you do too. You will see the only defender within a 10x10 box in the middle of the field is the Mike Linebacker playing spy on tebow. If Mccoy was worth have his praises, he would call a pass to ANY player on our offense to that area. ALL of our offensive players have enough speed to beat a Mike 1 on 1.........But what does mccoy do. Nothing!

Mccoy runs his same 4 plays. here they are. Run option left, run option right, 3rd and long 2 man go routes down the sidelines with 8 guys blitzing.

This is why Mccoy sucks, but then there is more.

During the OT playoff steelers game we all remember the DT catch and run for the Win. I remember the first time we ran that play in the first quarter (and the subsequent 5 times after that). Not only did I point out that if we would make that a Play Action pass, it would be wide open, but I think it would go for a score. I said it several times in the gameday thread and you can see my posts and time stamps if you do not believe me. They are still there. Mccoy, the Bloody Genius he is, said " We drew up that play (the OT winner) at halftime"...........I was screaming for that play in the first freaking quarter. Now, unless I am some unbelievable Offensive Coordinator who is just wasting his skills here on a computer, then what do we think about me Coming up with that play in the first when it took Mccoy nearly half a game to recognize that it would work? Either Im the greatist and so is mccoy, or I suck and Mccoy is not worth half the praise he has wrongly been credited with.

I can go on and on about predictability of play calling and so on and so forth, but carol, trust me, Mccoy really sucks.

claymore
05-25-2012, 06:03 PM

Im curious to see what he does with a good QB. Orton and Tebow arent the kinda guys that help you're career if your a coach.

MOtorboat
05-25-2012, 06:08 PM
All OC have to adjust the offense to match the QBs skill sets. It is their job. But no able to call plays or adjust plays or anything where he fails. Fox had a lot to do with the Tebow led offense. Fox wanted a run first offense not the McDaniel offense that McCoy wants to run. Fox now has the best QB and knows that passing is going to be the way to go. he is not and idiot to install a run first offense with Manning as QB. I think McCoy has done shit. McDaniels had his offense and McCoy wants to stick with that. Tebow took over and they knew they had to adjust it. So they went run heavy. You would think that McCoy could have done a better offense then a option read offense, but heck he just went with what Tebow did in college. Not a good OC in my opinion.

A run heavy offense is also a great offense to break in a young QB to the speed of the game and get them use to it.

What offense would you suggest?

And if you answer "spread" you're a moron.

Im curious to see what he does with a good QB. Orton and Tebow arent the kinda guys that help you're career if your a coach.

This.

Ravage!!!
05-25-2012, 06:21 PM
How many "college spread" offenses do we see in the NFL???

The OC doesn't change to the QB, as we've seen time and time and time and time again in the NFL, a team hires an OC because of the TYPE of offense they run. If the OC changed the offense to fit the QB, then it wouldn't matter who the OC was. The QBs change TO the OC's plan. Thats why we see QBs struggle when the team hires new OCs every year. The QB has to change. The new OC isn't changing.

Lets give credit where credit is due. McCoy changed the offense to fit around a QB that absolutely CAN NOT throw the football accurately. How do you run a professional offense with a QB that doesn't throw the ball?? McCoy changed the offense...NOT only after having no offseason, but after the NFL season started so that we can run an offense that does NOT THROW THE BALL! WHY? Because he had to.

Where did anyone get the idea that Fox took over the offense? All HCs and OCs combine on coaching philosophies, but Fox is NOT an OC. McCoy SAVED Tebow by putting him in a position that made him look good, have succes, and NOT forcing him to throw the ball as is expected by EVERY OTHER NFL QB.

Instead of "blaming" McCoy for anything.. I think we should be THANKING him for having the ability to manufacture an offense that fit around such a blatant lack of QB'ing abilities..... the MOST needed and important positions in all professional sports.

Jsteve01
05-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I see McCoy's biggest weakness as in game adjustment. but that said, last year was his first opportunity to actually call a game. I give him a pass

bcbronc
05-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Lol there's still someone confused as to why we didn't run screens or underneath crossing routes?? The fact the jets are looking at using tebow on punt coverage should really tell everyone all we need to know about Tim Tebow the NFL quarterback.

As for McCoy I went from hating him as an OC to being willing to give him this year to see what he has. Have to give him credit for the job he did last season. Whens the last time a team did a complete 180 on the offense they were running at the mid point of the season and still made the playoffs? Probably happens less than 2nd round QBs going to the probowl.

MOtorboat
05-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Lol there's still someone confused as to why we didn't run screens or underneath crossing routes??

It's truly amazing, isn't it...

underrated29
05-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Theres no confusion. Its a straight let down. I love it when people say tebow couldnt throw a screen or crossing pattern and then i show them film of it and they say...well any qb can complete a few short passes.....right. face it. Mccoy choked more than a hooker. He is terrible at playcalling and and there is overwhelming evidence that proves it.

dogfish
05-25-2012, 10:20 PM
U29 vs. da midget-- steel cage match to settle this shit once and for all. . .

even tebow's not so bad he can't throw a freakin' screen. . .

underrated29
05-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Only if he's naked and rubbed down in canola oil.

Oooohhhh. You mean..I see.id rather take on mccoy, and knowing that he is terrible at planning offenses and predictable, well, I I like my chances. Plus, I caught a piece of popcorn in my mouth that I threw in the air. So I'm feeling lucky

MOtorboat
05-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Tebow sure was accurate last year, wasn't he.

:rolleyes:

Because he did it once, doesn't mean he's accurate. Forest through the trees...

underrated29
05-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Then call me paul bunyon because,I'm on mobile, but I can name 4 off the top of my head that went for 20+ yards or tds. when I get to a comp I can show them.....probably more if I look too. But I guess 20 + yard plays or Tds are overrated. The great McCoy thinks so.

arapaho2
05-25-2012, 11:08 PM

we dont know that....do we?...tebow seemed pretty good as a rookie in a prototypical offense as a rookie.........and then your forgetting the big part......whether the offense was changed to fit tebow or not....running a read option offense is college stuff...doesnt make mccoy a friggen rocket scientist......but mccoys biggest liability isnt his offense......its his total lack of creativity and nack for being utterly predictable..

dogfish
05-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Im curious to see what he does with a good QB.

get the **** out of the way, same as every other coach does with peyton manning. . .

:D

Simple Jaded
05-26-2012, 01:30 AM
There have been so many players and coaches that have taken it on the chin the last few years in an effort to deflect criticism of some of the worst QBing that it's really going to be interesting to see what happens when we can all be reasonably sure that QB is not the problem.......

dogfish
05-26-2012, 02:32 AM
There have been so many players and coaches that have taken it on the chin the last few years in an effort to deflect criticism of some of the worst QBing that it's really going to be interesting to see what happens when we can all be reasonably sure that QB is not the problem.......

hah!

we'll know exactly as much about mccoy as we did before. . . :D

unless you think anyone should or will give him any credit for peyton manning?

bcbronc
05-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Then call me paul bunyon because,I'm on mobile, but I can name 4 off the top of my head that went for 20+ yards or tds. when I get to a comp I can show them.....probably more if I look too. But I guess 20 + yard plays or Tds are overrated. The great McCoy thinks so.

ya, and guaranteed all four were early in Tebow's playing career, like previous season early. Back when teams tried to blitz Tebow. Once defenses stopped trying to get upfield vs Tebow screens stopped being effective. Last screen McCoy called that I remember was vs BUF and Tebow got sacked.

You really think we'll see no underneath crossing routes with Manning? Or screens? We saw both with Orton. McCoy played to the strengths of his offense, which is what good coordinators do. Barring any significant injuries between now and game one of the Manning era, this offense has a heck of a lot more strengths than it has in a while. This will be the first time in McCoy's play-calling career that he won't have to call plays to protect his QB. If we still see a ton of draws on 3rd and medium to long, then yeah, we have a problem.

Chef Zambini
05-26-2012, 07:59 AM
McCoy is at his best with concepts and film. He's good at finding a few ways of exploiting each week's defensive weaknesses to the advantage of his personnel. His weakness appears to be staying in sync with the flow of the game and recognition of defensive adjustments from snap to snap--Manning's strength.

Manning should be a great complement for McCoy. On the other hand, a new offense gives Manning some fresh ideas and keeps him challenged. It's not like the offense is something new under the sun, it's just repackaged versions of components Manning has previously mastered. I like it.one of the best posts in this thread.

Chef Zambini
05-26-2012, 08:06 AM
because oit would be blasphemy and nobody wants the tebow circus on their froint lawn, nobody has come right out and said what a few have intimated...
"TEBOW aint the brightest crayon in the box"
with both sanchez and tebow learning a new system and new verbage at the same time, it will become apparent what TTs learning curve is,
stay tuned, because he will be fully scrutinized at camp with the jets.

Simple Jaded
05-26-2012, 08:07 PM
hah!

we'll know exactly as much about mccoy as we did before. . . :D

unless you think anyone should or will give him any credit for peyton manning?I'm not interested in who gets credit, I am interested in finally getting to see what happens with the offensive talent when they don't have an excuse at QB.......

underrated29
05-29-2012, 11:34 AM
ya, and guaranteed all four were early in Tebow's playing career, like previous season early. Back when teams tried to blitz Tebow. Once defenses stopped trying to get upfield vs Tebow screens stopped being effective. Last screen McCoy called that I remember was vs BUF and Tebow got sacked.

You really think we'll see no underneath crossing routes with Manning? Or screens? We saw both with Orton. McCoy played to the strengths of his offense, which is what good coordinators do. Barring any significant injuries between now and game one of the Manning era, this offense has a heck of a lot more strengths than it has in a while. This will be the first time in McCoy's play-calling career that he won't have to call plays to protect his QB. If we still see a ton of draws on 3rd and medium to long, then yeah, we have a problem.

Yes, exactly!
They were all early in his career and both pre seasons in the "NORMAL" offense, that he supposedly could not run. Funny how that worked out.

Teams did not stop trying to get upfield though, they blitzed the crap out of us. They stacked the box and then brought the heat. How you can say teams stopped blitzing us is insane.

With manning I know we will see the underneath throws, the crossing routes and screens. Because Peyton manning is his own OC. I think peyton is better at OC than Mccoy is. Mccoy had Jay cutler as a QB did he not? He did not need to protect Jay. We got mccoy after Bates left Jay. Now I cant remember that timeline exactly- so much has happened since then. But what I do think is that Peyton, mccoy and the offense will have a Terrific year! I also think that when mccoy leaves (gets a HC or whatever) people will see actually how inept he is. Manning will overshadow Mccoys flaws and once mccoy does not have manning he will be shown to be what some of us know he is. Terrible OC.

Nomad
05-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Hope it works.

I haven't been fan of McCoy's because it seems he lacks adjusting and his plays are very predictable, but may have been the circumstances. So I hope it works out as well.

Manning should be a great complement for McCoy. On the other hand, a new offense gives Manning some fresh ideas and keeps him challenged. It's not like the offense is something new under the sun, it's just repackaged versions of components Manning has previously mastered. I like it.

This sounds good but I'm not sure we'll get a true idea if McCoy is a good coordinator with Manning running things. Again, hope it all works out for the better for the BRONCOS.

bcbronc
05-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Yes, exactly!
They were all early in his career and both pre seasons in the "NORMAL" offense, that he supposedly could not run. Funny how that worked out.

Teams did not stop trying to get upfield though, they blitzed the crap out of us. They stacked the box and then brought the heat. How you can say teams stopped blitzing us is insane.

With manning I know we will see the underneath throws, the crossing routes and screens. Because Peyton manning is his own OC. I think peyton is better at OC than Mccoy is. Mccoy had Jay cutler as a QB did he not? He did not need to protect Jay. We got mccoy after Bates left Jay. Now I cant remember that timeline exactly- so much has happened since then. But what I do think is that Peyton, mccoy and the offense will have a Terrific year! I also think that when mccoy leaves (gets a HC or whatever) people will see actually how inept he is. Manning will overshadow Mccoys flaws and once mccoy does not have manning he will be shown to be what some of us know he is. Terrible OC.

So basically what you are saying is you don't pay much atttention when you watch the games and you have no clue what is going on.

Nomad
05-29-2012, 02:47 PM
So basically what you are saying is you don't pay much atttention when you watch the games and you have no clue what is going on.

This is what happens to me if I have too many beers.:lol: As I get older, it becomes less of an occurrence:D

underrated29
05-29-2012, 03:37 PM

dodge, try again.

dogfish
05-29-2012, 06:27 PM
peyton f'n manning is so cool, he even decided to step up and lead the league in jersey sales so we could keep that going. . .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/29/peyton-tops-tebow-for-best-selling-jersey/

now wasn't that considerate of him? man, tebow can't catch a break. . . .

Simple Jaded
05-29-2012, 08:38 PM
The only time McCoy got to call plays he had Tebow, then Orton then Tebow at QB, how the hell would anybody know if he's inept? That's like criticizing a director that got stuck with Justin Beeber and Ben Stein for actors.......

underrated29
05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Perhaps but would you keep calling for justin beiber to play the badass liam neeson role in taken or the girly euro gay guy in what a girl wants...over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Chef Zambini
05-30-2012, 01:29 AM
I see McCoy's biggest weakness as in game adjustment. but that said, last year was his first opportunity to actually call a game. I give him a passthats more than tebow could give him 60 percent of the time.