PDA

View Full Version : Clady lets considerable skill speak volumes

Lonestar
06-05-2009, 02:58 AM
The quiet anchor at left tackle is working on technique and learning McDaniels' new offense.

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/05/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 06/05/2009 01:37:13 AM MDT

Ryan Clady became the reliable rookie on the Broncos' offensive line, allowing just half a sack in 16 starts last season. (Steve Nehf, The Denver Post)Note to any Denver Bronco looking for a nice place to relax: You might want to try the back left corner of the locker room and pull up a chair between Ryan Clady's locker on the left and Kyle Orton's on the right.

It might be the quietest place in the whole building.

"We're both kind of quiet guys, so we don't really say a whole lot to each other," Orton said, laughing.

But Orton, who is competing with Chris Simms for the starting quarterback job, and starting left tackle Clady don't need to have hours-long, heart-to-heart conversations to create a successful partnership on the field.

All Orton needs to see is Clady's giant 6-foot-6, 325-pound body and to read this stunning line from Clady's bio: Last year, as a rookie, he allowed only half a sack in 16 starts. That's all it takes to be a quarterback's best friend.

"He's a great player," Orton said. "It's always a great thing to have that guy at left tackle that can really lock it down."

Denver's offensive line allowed only 12 sacks in 2008, a franchise record and tied for the fewest in the NFL. And because of that performance, the offensive line returns intact for 2009 — the only unit on the team that was virtually untouched in the transition from Mike Shanahan to Josh McDaniels.

"It's not too hard to believe because of how well we played, but it was a pretty crazy offseason, and you kind of realize how much of a business this is," Clady said.

The biggest piece of that group — literally — is Clady, who said he has plenty of room to improve off that rookie season. As the team goes through its voluntary workouts and passing camp, Clady said he is focusing on technique, improving his hand placement and footwork, and adjusting to McDaniels' new offense.

"Trying to make every workout, and working hard at the workouts," Clady said. "I'm just trying to know the offense, and adjusting to the offense."

Clady spent his offseason back home in Rialto, Calif., working out on his own before returning to Denver in March to train with his teammates, even if he remains somewhat of an enigma in the Dove Valley facility.

"He's got a personality, you just don't see it a whole lot. And that's OK, that's great. We have guys that have personalities that I wish they would put in their shell once in a while," McDaniels said. "Ryan's one of those guys that sometimes you get more out of him than you think, and sometimes he's real quiet and to himself. But he's a good kid, he fits in really well with our team and we're happy to have him."

Lindsay H. Jones

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12523751?source=rss

SoCalImport
06-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Clady's from Rialto?! And, He still lives there?
I lived in Riverside for years, and Riverside is high class compared to Rialto.. (not saying much)

Just found out He went to Eisenhower HS which is as close to a football dynasty as the IE has (Corona and Norco have been great too).

Then again, that area's been built up a lot in the last ten years..

That aside. Our Clady and the O-line in general is the most exciting thing about the Broncos now'a days. The ULTIMATE building block.

Now if the D-line can start catching up

Tned
06-05-2009, 07:59 AM
If Harris plays as well as last year (and hopefully he improves, since due to the back injury it was basically his first year), the team is going to be set at tackle for quite a while.

Just need to get one of these young centers ready to take over over the starting job, as Wiegman (sp?) isn't a spring chicken.

Thnikkaman
06-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Could this be a continuation of the Broncos O-Line not talking to press?

T.K.O.
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
if clady can come close to duplicating his rookie season.it will go a long way towards proving shanny wasnt a total shmuck on draft day!
sure its always a crap shoot to some extent,but man between 06 & 08 we picked up some potential hof guys.
i really hope moss finds a home at lb and we get some value out of that #17(i think it was)
i just dont see how a guy can be such an impact player in college and then just fade away so quickly.maybe it was just the scheme and coaching,combined with him being a bit light for DE ( and breaking his shin )
i hope he gets to about 280+ and can keep his speed ,i just know he can get pressure if used the right way

SoCalImport
06-05-2009, 11:03 AM
if clady can come close to duplicating his rookie season.it will go a long way towards proving shanny wasnt a total shmuck on draft day!
sure its always a crap shoot to some extent,but man between 06 & 08 we picked up some potential hof guys.
i really hope moss finds a home at lb and we get some value out of that #17(i think it was)
i just dont see how a guy can be such an impact player in college and then just fade away so quickly.maybe it was just the scheme and coaching,combined with him being a bit light for DE ( and breaking his shin )
i hope he gets to about 280+ and can keep his speed ,i just know he can get pressure if used the right way

280 is a bit of a stretch.
If he can just be a legit starter at OLB I'll be stoked. I don't see him ever becoming the impact player you want with a pick as high as his, but my expectations are considerably lowered at this point.

back to topic.
Clady, Harris, Kuper. With these youngsters plus (insert quality vet here) at center and other guard we're set for a long time. Much easier to fill two spots if the other three are Studs and locked up with long term deals.
the 96'97'98 o-lines were roughly half FAs after all.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Great article, we have Lichtensteiger and Olsen as well and they'd allow us to have five young lineman across the board if they end up panning out; and I'm confident at least one of them will.

Lonestar
06-05-2009, 01:48 PM

while moss was at #17 he really cost us two picks that day our first and another one I think a third.. what those numbers were I do not remember but I'll bet some one does..

mike was the worst DAFTER of them all till 2006 so a couple of good hits will never erase the prior ones nor will they even get him to average..

so I do not have to listen to the mikey apologists say there is no proof of my thoughts... read and weep..

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12785&highlight=draft

Lonestar
06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Great article, we have Lichtensteiger and Olsen as well and they'd allow us to have five young lineman across the board if they end up panning out; and I'm confident at least one of them will.

lets hope these kids along with polumbus can gain experience and be the "base" this team needs for the next 10-12 years..

afterall all of KC success over the years running and passing the ball were do to a great OLINE that played together for almost a decade without any changes on it.. KCs demise was that the whole team got old at the same time..

horsepig
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM
That KC Oline was awesome. The Faiders had the same thing going on in the 70's, the Snake had some real studs up front.

How the Hell else do you explain all those catches from Fred Belitnikoff. (he was one sneaky stickum smeared SOB)

T.K.O.
06-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Offensive tackle rankings: Young anchors awash in potential
E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 16 WATCH THIS TOPIC
Posted: May 8, 2009
It's a new era at offensive tackle. As the longtime dominators --Walter Jones and Orlando Pace -- begin the inevitable slide because of age and injury, the young guys are stepping up and standing out. Ryan Clady, new Eagle Jason Peters, Joe Thomas and Michael Roos are blind-side protectors you'll be hearing much about the next few years. Although the young transformation is at hand, our old-school thinking won't allow us to put rookies in the top 20. They have to show us something first.

Here are the top 20 tackles, the first in a series of positional rankings by RealScouts:

1. Ryan Clady, Broncos. An extremely athletic left tackle who gave up just 1 1/2 sacks as a rookie last year, he has great feet and the ability to run block at the second level and mirror ends in pass protection.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Who would have ever thought a guy who was TSTP and went to a community college would prove to be a top tackle in the NFL after just one year of play!?