PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat makes appearance at Dove Valley

Lonestar
06-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Broncos Briefs by The Denver Post

add this RSS blog email print
WILDCAT HUNTING

JUST FOR PRACTICE
Chris Simms broke the huddle and lined up split far to the right. The shotgun snap went directly to running back Knowshon Moreno, who ran up the middle.

Is Josh McDaniels dumping his New England spread offense for the Wildcat? Not a chance. It seems Moreno, the Broncos' rookie tailback who was selected with the No. 12 pick in the NFL draft, and Simms, who is competing with Kyle Orton for the starting quarterback job, were pulling scout-team duty during the passing camp session Wednesday.

"Because the Wildcat is such a big fad right now, we want to make sure our defense sees enough of it so they understand how we want them to play against it," McDaniels said. "I imagine every team in the league is going through that right now. You don't want to be caught in Week 1 and not have a plan for the Wildcat."

Work for rookie. Rookie outside linebacker/defensive end Robert Ayers has gotten some first-team reps in the nickel package the past three days in place of Elvis Dumervil, who was excused to attend to a family matter.

Dumervil returned to Dove Valley after the workout session Wednesday.

"I'm just trying to fit in with the veterans and learn and step up when asked to," said Ayers, who was the second of the Broncos' two first-round draft picks in April.

"He's like every rookie - he makes some good plays and then he makes some bad ones and doesn't line up right," McDaniels said. "And then he flashes all the things that we really like."

Moss at OLB. Jarvis Moss, the Broncos' first-round draft pick in 2007, worked as an outside linebacker in the No. 1 nickel defense.

"Coach is mixing it up, giving everybody opportunities to work with different groups, so that's all that was," Moss said. "I'm an OLB now, so I'll be standing up most of the time."

Moss has struggled to get on the field in his first two seasons, in part because at 250 pounds he didn't have the strength at defensive end to beat offensive tackles. He weighs a personal-high 258 pounds now.

"I'm going to push real hard here through the rest of June and July and hit training camp running," Moss said.

Jordan leads way at RB. The Broncos' first-string tailback Wednesday was veteran LaMont Jordan, a ninth-year back who rushed for 1,025 yards in 2005 with Oakland and had 363 yards on 80 carries (4.5-yard average) in eight games for New England last year.

"I feel pretty good," Jordan said, but adding he didn't perform well. "It was one of the worst practices of my career."

Jordan had two fumbles, one during a scrimmage drill that fell directly into the arms of safety Herana-Daze Jones, who took it the other way.

McDaniels, on Marshall. McDaniels discussed some good news about star receiver Brandon Marshall.

The coach was pleased, of course, that the NFL notified the Broncos that Marshall won't serve a suspension to start the 2009 season because of an incident involving his fianc?e Michi Nogami on March 1.

"Looking forward for Brandon to play a full season," McDaniels said.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9540360/Broncos-Briefs-

Thnikkaman
06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
1st

T.K.O.
06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
i like the fact that mcd is keeping his options open and planing for everything(i think its b.s. that the only reason he was running the wildcat was to prep the D,he wants to see his new toy in action and im sure we will see moreno take that direct snap in game situations)
i think we really have the makings of a great offense.in all the cutlers drama,people sometimes forget this is the oc for one of the highest scoring offenses in league history and a 16-0 reg season.
our new head coach may not know how to do an impressive press conference,or massage a star players ego,but he sure as heck knows how to put together a gameplan that gives his team a good chance to win !
i just hope that orton or simms gets the playbook down and develops the timing with their recievers to execute that plan on gameday!
if that happens we wont miss "old rocket arm" at all !

powderaddict
06-04-2009, 05:08 PM
I really don't want to see the Wildcat offense, it's a gimmick and a flavor of the week IMO.

T.K.O.
06-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I really don't want to see the Wildcat offense, it's a gimmick and a flavor of the week IMO.

i only want to see it when we run it at the 7 yd line and moreno does his "superman leap" and we get 7 points out of the deal !!!!

Lonestar
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM

I suspect we will see it a few times a year so other defenses have to practice against it and waste other time they would normally use against normal fronts..

Requiem / The Dagda
06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I agree with JR; we'll be running it in practices just to understand how to react and play to it -- and if the opportunity presents itself, use it strategically.

Lonestar
06-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I agree with JR; we'll be running it in practices just to understand how to react and play to it -- and if the opportunity presents itself, use it strategically.

just enough to keep the Defense honest and who knows we just might be good for a couple times a game.. with a direct snap to Hillis or Moreno could be interesting..

BroncoWave
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM

It never hurts to throw it in from game to game to give defenses something else to worry about while game planning for you. That doesn't mean we're going to run it 10 times a game.