PDA

View Full Version : Ayers making big step towards major playing time

Italianmobstr7
06-04-2009, 03:22 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/ayers-55671-outside-big.html

Among the Denver Broncos rookies, Robert Ayers is the first to take a big step toward major playing time.

Repetitions haven't been plentiful for the rookies in minicamp. Coach Josh McDaniels won't halt practice when a rookie doesn't understand his assignment. So when Ayers spent almost all of Wednesday's practice with the starting base defense, it was a bit of a surprise.

Ayers' position was also unusual. When he was selected in the first round of April's draft, McDaniels said Ayers probably would begin his career at end and could move to outside linebacker. During practice, Ayers spent almost all of his time at outside linebacker, replacing normal starter Elvis Dumervil, who was excused because of family reasons.

Ayers took the promotion to the first team as a good sign.

"I've been doing pretty good," he said. "Right now that spot is Elvis' and we're battling for it."

At 272 pounds, Ayers could play either position, and the team has needs at both. Apparently, the coaches have liked what they've seen from him standing up on the outside.

"Wherever they ask me to play, whatever position," Ayers said. "I feel comfortable at both."

McDaniels said he expects many players to be able to move seamlessly between defensive end and outside linebacker, depending on the situation.

"I think that's very common with most 3-4 teams in this league," McDaniels said. "Your outside linebackers usually become your defensive ends in passing-type situations and we should be no different."

Other rookies also are climbing the ladder. Running back Knowshon Moreno, the team's other first-round pick, was behind LaMont Jordan and Correll Buckhalter on Wednesday. Second-round pick Alphonso Smith has been working behind No. 3 cornerback Jack Williams, a 2008 draftee. Another second-round pick, Darcel McBath, is working with the starters in some packages but is a long way from challenging veterans and starting safeties Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill.

Ayers should be a big part of the defense this season, and he's improving at a good pace.

"I'm still making some minor errors, and I'm making big errors too, but the good thing about it is I'm getting better and learning," he said.

G_Money
06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope I'm wrong about this kid. We could use a pass-rushing threat with a motor in the worst way. You have no idea how much I'd love to see him turn into a new Simon Fletcher.

~G

NightTrainLayne
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope I'm wrong about this kid. We could use a pass-rushing threat with a motor in the worst way. You have no idea how much I'd love to see him turn into a new Simon Fletcher.

~G

I'm with you. But I have to wonder whether or not this article is written if Dumerville didn't have the day off. . .probably not.

I think he should be fine, but reading between the lines, it sounds like it's still Dumerville's job to lose. Maybe I'm wrong.

underrated29
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
eh.

we'll see ayers at DE on the edge and doom at the LB spot. THere is now way they can contain both those guys.

SOCALORADO.
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm with you. But I have to wonder whether or not this article is written if Dumerville didn't have the day off. . .probably not.

I think he should be fine, but reading between the lines, it sounds like it's still Dumerville's job to lose. Maybe I'm wrong.

Lets all just be glad hes doing so well so soon, and continues to improve. The guys already challenging for a vital position! And i have yet to read of any major issues with him.
It could be worse........like Jarvis Moss worse. *sighs*:D

Grover
06-04-2009, 04:09 PM

It's pretty clear to me that Ayers was subbing for Dumervil, and would not have gotten the exposure had Dumervil been in camp.

I don't see Dumervil and Ayers as an either/or type of situation. Dumervil is learning a new position and Ayers is learning how to play in the NFL. I think success is in both their futures, but what I see is them both in rotation throughout the year.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Ayers' versatility as an up and down lineman will allow him to maximize his potential. Players with his versatility have a high chance at succeeding, and I'm digging the hungry attitude. I'm excited about him.

broncohead
06-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Lets all just be glad hes doing so well so soon, and continues to improve. The guys already challenging for a vital position! And i have yet to read of any major issues with him.
It could be worse........like Jarvis Moss worse. *sighs*:D

It seems McD is just trying to figure everyone out. He wants the best players playing so everyone is subing in. Every season there are articles that come out about how well a player is doing but when the season comes he doesn't do anything. I have my opinions but the truth is it's what happens on the field that counts.

broncofaninfla
06-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Lets see how everybody performs with pads on

elsid13
06-04-2009, 07:52 PM

exactly. I believe he was promoted because Doom was not there. Moss is also running as starting LB in nickle.

broncohead
06-04-2009, 10:03 PM
exactly. I believe he was promoted because Doom was not there. Moss is also running as starting LB in nickle.

Which must mean McD is looking at everyone. That's good

Lonestar
06-04-2009, 10:05 PM

while your correct here if they are not getting the playbook in shorts, then in pads will not be any better..

this is all mental now making sure you can read a play and react to it or react to the big bad D guys coming after you..

Benetto
06-04-2009, 10:07 PM
eh.

we'll see ayers at DE on the edge and doom at the LB spot. THere is now way they can contain both those guys.

This is what I was thinking as well.

Lonestar
06-04-2009, 10:21 PM
This is what I was thinking as well.

not so sure that doom will be as quick off the LOS from a standing start.. Might just slow his times down a bit that was his strong point getting past the OT before they were ready.. now he might not be as fast..

dogfish
06-04-2009, 10:25 PM
ideally, i want ayers playing one OLB spot and doom the other-- not our top rookie defender and our only proven pass rusher competing for one spot, with some stiff like darrell reid starting on the opposite side. . . .

bcbronc
06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
ideally, i want ayers playing one OLB spot and doom the other-- not our top rookie defender and our only proven pass rusher competing for one spot, with some stiff like darrell reid starting on the opposite side. . . .

what have you seen from Reid standing up that has you convinced he's a stiff? :welcome:

dogfish
06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
what have you seen from Reid standing up that has you convinced he's a stiff? :welcome:

haha, i KNEW someone would come charging in to dispute that comment the minute i typed it!

:lol:

i've seen exactly what everyone else has seen from him standing up, which is nothing-- he's never done it before. . . . that's right, i'm assuming, and i'm not afraid of the old cliche, either. . . . is there something about his career backup status and whopping two career sacks that SHOULD make me believe this one-gap defensive tackle can successfully convert to a starting outside linebacker?

:noidea:

IMO this isn't any different from last year, when everybody was glowing about niko K, and how he would have started for any team besides seattle and he just needed a chance to prove himself. . . .

you can bump this thread if reid starts and notches a half-dozen or more sacks-- i'll gladly eat my crow then. . . . ;)

WARHORSE
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I like Ayers and hope he takes the spot.

But as always, let the best 11 play.

underrated29
06-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Here is what i have seen from reid. Not a lot- in terms of ability.

If you watch the NFL replay of the colts and Pats back in '05 '06 whenever it was. Near the end of the game the pats were on the 2 yard line about to score. 3rd down the colts bring in reid....Its only one play, but it didnt show a lot. The announcers even mentioned him

My thinking is, if he couldnt start or light it up on a crappy colts defense that has always sucked against the run. He probably isnt that much different here.

For now i would compare him to a patrick chuckwara in terms of skill. I really liked chucky, but lets face it, he is average at best.

CoachChaz
06-05-2009, 11:55 AM
If I recall, there was a time when James Harrison was considered a "stiff".

WARHORSE
06-05-2009, 10:17 PM
One thing for sure about Ayers...........his head is on straight.
Hes gonna be a good starter for us one day.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3311&type=broncosTV&year=&month=