PDA

View Full Version : Best and fastest way from Mile High to the airport after a game?

Tned
05-23-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm trying to figure out how many games I can get to this year. So, I'm trying to see if it's possible to catch a flight out of Denver after a Broncos game. What options are there to get from the stadium to the airport after the game, and how long should I figure on it taking?

There is supposed to be a taxi stand at the stadium, but I've never noticed it. Then I guess there is light rail. Finally, I could use a rental car, but that cuts down on drinking and I have to deal with the time to return the rental car.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

SR
05-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I'd pick you up and chaufer you around Denver all weekend.

(don't live in Denver though)

Tned
05-23-2012, 08:39 PM

As I was reading the first sentence, this ^^ is what I was thinking. :lol:

Timmy!
05-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Talk to NTL, he could probably pick you up in his private ruby encrusted helicopter.

SR
05-23-2012, 09:03 PM

As I was reading the first sentence, this ^^ is what I was thinking. :lol:

Well I'd do it. Thoughts count

Denver Native (Carol)
05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm trying to figure out how many games I can get to this year. So, I'm trying to see if it's possible to catch a flight out of Denver after a Broncos game. What options are there to get from the stadium to the airport after the game, and how long should I figure on it taking?

There is supposed to be a taxi stand at the stadium, but I've never noticed it. Then I guess there is light rail. Finally, I could use a rental car, but that cuts down on drinking and I have to deal with the time to return the rental car.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Taxi Cabs

Cabs are available for all Broncos games and most full-stadium events. A designated taxi cab stand is located along the pedestrian walkway below Gate 5 on the Northeast corner of the building.

http://www.sportsauthorityfieldatmilehigh.com/stadium_info/overview#Taxi%20Cabs

Chef Zambini
05-23-2012, 09:47 PM
helicopter

Chef Zambini
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Talk to NTL, he could probably pick you up in his private ruby encrusted helicopter.sorry, responded before I read this.

Tned
05-23-2012, 10:32 PM
http://www.sportsauthorityfieldatmilehigh.com/stadium_info/overview#Taxi%20Cabs

Thanks. I actually had read that, but since I haven't noticed the taxis when I've been at the stadium, I didn't know if there is a long line or if there are usually plenty of cabs.

BroncoJoe
05-23-2012, 10:35 PM
A taxi ride is going to be equal to or more expensive than renting a car. Drink during the day, stop at the half or end of the 3rd quarter. Or, don't drink that much...

PS - there is no light rail to the airport.

topscribe
05-23-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm sure there is a taxi stand at the stadium. I can think of two major circumstances:
(1) the hacks gotta love game day, and (2) you will have more competition than you
want in catching a cab. I suppose you could call the cab company from your cell
phone for a pickup, but then I can picture the ride being stolen out from under you
before you ever saw him. I'm not sure that's very feasible, anyway. Last time I saw
the stadium, a face mask amounted to a double bar.

The only other solution I can think of is to save Elway's life. I'm sure you will have
a seat in his booth and a limousine ride to the airport and a paid first-class home.

Let me know how how that works out. :coffee:

Dapper Dan
05-23-2012, 10:54 PM
I guess I'm fortunate that my uncle-in-law has a place somewhat near the stadium. My wife and I walked to the rail and then walked to the stadium.

I have a hard time imagining you can make it anywhere very quickly.

Also, you could ask one of the hippies on the tricycle looking things to pedal you all the way to the airport.

jhildebrand
05-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Any thoughts?

Thanks

There are a lot of ways to tackle this Tned. I would think the easiest solution, that also allows for the most debauchery and inebriation, would be to light rail from the game to the RTD station then take a bus from there to DIA.

Most seasons this wouldn't be an issue. However, with the number of late primetime games, it might be harder this year.

The next easiest solution would be get back to your hotel and make sure it is one that has a shuttle service to DIA. Let them (concierge) know you will be ready to return to the airport following the game. If the hotel doesn't provide a shuttle, book one. This way, you only have to get from DIA to your hotel.

If you find out which games you are coming out for in advance let me know. If I am at the games, I would have no problem shuttling you to Kansas International Airport er DIA.

FanInAZ
05-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I suppose you could call the cab company from your cell
phone for a pickup

Speaking as a former cab driver, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS! The traffic around sports arenas are so hectic, that most cab drivers (myself included) want to steer clear of them. However, there are plenty of cabbies that have no problem in such environment that such areas are infested with them. Just go to the cab stand and get you a cab from there, but PLEASE don't call the cab company and have them send a cabbie that wants nothing to do with the area.

TIA.

Tned
05-24-2012, 06:57 AM
There are a lot of ways to tackle this Tned. I would think the easiest solution, that also allows for the most debauchery and inebriation, would be to light rail from the game to the RTD station then take a bus from there to DIA.

Most seasons this wouldn't be an issue. However, with the number of late primetime games, it might be harder this year.

The next easiest solution would be get back to your hotel and make sure it is one that has a shuttle service to DIA. Let them (concierge) know you will be ready to return to the airport following the game. If the hotel doesn't provide a shuttle, book one. This way, you only have to get from DIA to your hotel.

If you find out which games you are coming out for in advance let me know. If I am at the games, I would have no problem shuttling you to Kansas International Airport er DIA.

I definately wouldn't try it with a late game. I was just trying to figure out if it was possible with a 2:15 start. I think the flight I would catch is 7:30, so it would be tight. Figure game ends between 5:15-5:30, and then I would have an hour or so to get to the airport.

If I attempted this there would be no hotel, because it would be a day trip. Out in the morning, back in the evening. I was only thinking about this for maybe one game, but I've been concerned that the 7:30 flight is just too early to pull this off.

It's that flight time that has me worried about dropping off a rental car, considering at DIA it's about 40 miles from the terminal and takes forever to get back to the terminal.

Chef Zambini
05-24-2012, 09:28 AM

If you find out which games you are coming out for in advance let me know. If I am at the games, I would have no problem shuttling you to Kansas International Airport er DIA.this is a very gracious offer because it really is "welcome to DIA, next stop kansas" !
thats an 80 mile round trip just for the driver !
I would think a cabbie would be happy with the fare...two fares actually out aND THE RETURN.
I think the bus to to DIA makes the most sense and would be the most frugal.
you could actually take one of the complimentary party buses from one of the lodo bars to and from the game, they would put you next to the RDA terminal that then would get you to the airport.
Be sure to book the last plane out so there is no anxiety about getting to the airport on time if there is an OT game or delay in traffic.
shall we cover dressing for the game and security?
shoe reccomendations?

Tned
05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
this is a very bracious offer because it really is "welcome to DIA, next stop kansas" !
thats an 80 mile round trip just for the driver !
I would think a cabbie would be happy with the faretwo fares actually out aND THE RETURN.
I think the bus to toDIA makes the most sense and would be the most frugal.
you could actually take one of the complimentary party buses from one of the lodo bars to and from the game, they would put you next to the RDA terminal that then would get you to the airport.

Yea, but can all of that be accomplished in 60-75 minutes after the clock hits 0:00?

Chef Zambini
05-24-2012, 09:36 AM
is 7:30 the latest flight?
If so, you are better off calling a limo service to guaraNTEE YOUR PICK UP AND TIMELY ARRIVAL TO DIA

Tned
05-24-2012, 10:05 AM
is 7:30 the latest flight?
If so, you are better off calling a limo service to guaraNTEE YOUR PICK UP AND TIMELY ARRIVAL TO DIA

Yep, if I try and do a day trip, 7:30 is the latest (haven't checked a stop in Dallas).

I figure a car service wouldn't want to pickup at the stadium, but possibly someplace that I can walk to/get to quick.

Then again, the in and out in same day may just not be possible.

pnbronco
05-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Yep, if I try and do a day trip, 7:30 is the latest (haven't checked a stop in Dallas).

I figure a car service wouldn't want to pickup at the stadium, but possibly someplace that I can walk to/get to quick.

Then again, the in and out in same day may just not be possible.

7:30 would really be pushing it if you wanted to stay till the end of the game. The taxi stand is on the east side of the stadium and there are a bunch there so I don't see that as a issue, but the traffic is a nightmare getting out if you stay till the end. I have no idea what the security line is like on a Sunday night but I thought I always heard you needed to be at the airport 1 1/2 hour to 2 before your flight.

See if you can a get a later flight first of all. If not plan on leaving half way through the 4th Qrt, bring a portable radio or or a app that you can watch or listen to the rest of the game on your phone/radio on your ride to the airport. That will help the traffic problem. If it's a day trip you should not have to worry about a carry on and since you fly a lot more than I do you should know how to get through security the fastest. Good luck and hopefully I see you a few times this year....:D

Tned
05-24-2012, 10:29 AM
7:30 would really be pushing it if you wanted to stay till the end of the game. The taxi stand is on the east side of the stadium and there are a bunch there so I don't see that as a issue, but the traffic is a nightmare getting out if you stay till the end. I have no idea what the security line is like on a Sunday night but I thought I always heard you needed to be at the airport 1 1/2 hour to 2 before your flight.

See if you can a get a later flight first of all. If not plan on leaving half way through the 4th Qrt, bring a portable radio or or a app that you can watch or listen to the rest of the game on your phone/radio on your ride to the airport. That will help the traffic problem. If it's a day trip you should not have to worry about a carry on and since you fly a lot more than I do you should know how to get through security the fastest. Good luck and hopefully I see you a few times this year....:D

The handful of times I've been through DIA, it's ranged from only a few minutes in security, to one time it was over an hour. I think DIA lets you pay to hop to the front of the line. Haven't done it, but I've seen that option come up at the kiosk.

I might just blow off the same day thought, as 7:30 just seems way to tight and I would hate to leave during the 4th. It's a double whammy, because if I come in Sunday morning, it will more than likely be too early to check into a hotel, so I can't really bring any bags (some hotels might let me leave them, even if I don't check in), so then I'm looking at either taking nothing in terms of bags other than will fit in a small back pack, or coming in on Sat, leaving on Monday.

NFL Sunday Ticket is starting to sound like the best solution... ;)

Buff
05-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Unfortunately, there isn't a great streamlined way to get from Mile High to the airport. As you know, there is only one main road into DIA (I-70/Pena Blvd), and then there is a toll road that feeds into the Pena from the north and south (E470) but you'd have to go north or south to hit the toll roads, and in order to do that you're going to have to fight traffic on I25 or a side street.

I'm trying to think about how I'd do it... The key is to avoid the surrounding lots and I-25 immediately following the game. The biggest delay is always getting out of the parking lot.

I'd probably park off of Federal Blvd to the north of the stadium - then I'd take federal blvd up to 36, across to 270, to I-70 to Pena. You could do that in an hour pretty easily assuming you don't get caught up in gridlock on Federal right around the stadium.

Or you could do the same route, and instead of going from 36 to 270, you'd go to 36 and then north on I-25 to the toll road and then take the toll road west to the airport. That would ensure that you wouldn't get caught in traffic on I-70, but you'd have to hit I-25 north for a few miles to get to the toll road and that will most likely be stop and go with people leaving to the north.

None of that probably makes sense, but I'm hopped up on caffeine and running to a meeting.

Buff
05-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh, I just realized you don't want to drive. In which case, do everything I said but line up a taxi prior to the game to meet you on Federal. They will do it if you make it worth their while.

Cugel
05-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I definately wouldn't try it with a late game. I was just trying to figure out if it was possible with a 2:15 start. I think the flight I would catch is 7:30, so it would be tight. Figure game ends between 5:15-5:30, and then I would have an hour or so to get to the airport.

If I attempted this there would be no hotel, because it would be a day trip. Out in the morning, back in the evening. I was only thinking about this for maybe one game, but I've been concerned that the 7:30 flight is just too early to pull this off.

It's that flight time that has me worried about dropping off a rental car, considering at DIA it's about 40 miles from the terminal and takes forever to get back to the terminal.

First of all remember that it's at least 40 minutes WITHOUT traffic. It could take you 20 minutes just to get out of the stadium and onto I-70 going east. Traffic is a major consideration.

Second, a cab ride to the airport is not going to be cheap. You should check if there's some commuter van service like the Blue Vans because they're only about $20.

The light-rail doesn't go to the airport. You COULD take a bus to the light-rail terminal, take the rail into the stadium and then reverse to get back to the airport, but making any connection involving a bus is insanely SLOW.

Worst of all, what if the game goes into overtime? You could easily miss your flight.

Best idea is to stay at a hotel and catch an early flight in the morning. That way you can take your time, have a nice dinner downtown, and still get back home at a reasonable time the next morning.

pnbronco
05-24-2012, 11:03 AM
The handful of times I've been through DIA, it's ranged from only a few minutes in security, to one time it was over an hour. I think DIA lets you pay to hop to the front of the line. Haven't done it, but I've seen that option come up at the kiosk.

I might just blow off the same day thought, as 7:30 just seems way to tight and I would hate to leave during the 4th. It's a double whammy, because if I come in Sunday morning, it will more than likely be too early to check into a hotel, so I can't really bring any bags (some hotels might let me leave them, even if I don't check in), so then I'm looking at either taking nothing in terms of bags other than will fit in a small back pack, or coming in on Sat, leaving on Monday.

NFL Sunday Ticket is starting to sound like the best solution... ;)

There is a bag check at the stadium on the north/east side, in that smaller tent. When I take my auto football to try to get it complete I leave it there for $ 2.00. You could bring in a small carry on for over night and stay somewhere close to the stadium that has a shuttle that could pick you up and then take to the airport on Monday. Also I think most nicer hotels let you leave a bag with them early before check in. I ship product to a lot of the hotels in the city I going to often.

Also I just talked to a friend and he said it's a 40 minute drive with min traffic.

Buff
05-24-2012, 11:51 AM
First of all remember that it's at least 40 minutes WITHOUT traffic. It could take you 20 minutes just to get out of the stadium and onto I-70 going east. Traffic is a major consideration.

Second, a cab ride to the airport is not going to be cheap. You should check if there's some commuter van service like the Blue Vans because they're only about $20.

The light-rail doesn't go to the airport. You COULD take a bus to the light-rail terminal, take the rail into the stadium and then reverse to get back to the airport, but making any connection involving a bus is insanely SLOW.

Worst of all, what if the game goes into overtime? You could easily miss your flight.

Best idea is to stay at a hotel and catch an early flight in the morning. That way you can take your time, have a nice dinner downtown, and still get back home at a reasonable time the next morning.

I like how you just completely ignored all of his parameters. :D

You're like the politicians in Washington. "Uh, hey guys, we need you to find a way to work within this budget."

"Oh, no problem, we'll just increase the size of the budget."

"Hey, I want to fly in and out on the same day, how do I do that?"

"Easy, just take an extra day."

jhildebrand
05-24-2012, 12:12 PM
I think 7:30 is just too tight. The ideal thing would be hoofing it out of the stadium across the bridge over the platte and into down town-your ability to do this quickly and efficiently is obviously inversely proportional to your drinking. Have a cab/limo/shuttle ready at 20th. You coul dodge a lot of traffic there. Even then, it would just be too tight. 8:30 departure and you could make this happen easily. I drive this town all day every day and know just about every alternate route/short cut and tend to cut things close, I wouldnt want to tell you it could be done only for you to miss your plane.

underrated29
05-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Easy.

Supershuttle....1-800-blue-van

Should cost you approx $18.........The only thing is sometimes you have to wait up to 15 minutes for the shuttle. If the game ends around 530 ish, and you skip across the street to pepsi center or auraria campus etc....Even with a 545 pickup, it should only take 35-40 minutes to get to the airport- which if you hurry should have no problems making the flight. I use them all the time anywhere in the states. Best, cheapest, most reliable way to get around.

Call them up, tell them your parameters and enjoy some drank and some bronco wins.

*edit- you can also schedule a pickup at a specific time with no delays, depending if they pick up other people on the way (while still ensuring that you will get to your flight) it could cost like $80 for a solo drive or about $20 less if you snag a few on the way there.

TXBRONC
05-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Tned did you forget that you have rich relatives that live Beverly Hill?

Don't you think that Uncle Jed, Elly May, Jethro, and granny would be willing let you use their private jet?

MOtorboat
05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe NTL accomplished this feat three years ago. Might want to ask him, although he was in a rental.

Man was he pissed about them giving him a Kia.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Here is a list of shuttles. Call them and see if you could arrange what you need with one of them.

Commuter shuttles, also known as shared ride services, operate regularly from DIA. Individual operators may provide pre-arranged, on-demand, and / or charter services for locations within the Denver Metro area and other locations within the state of Colorado. Some providers may also provide service to locations outside the state. Please contact a shuttle provider directly for more information on fees and destinations served. Commuter shuttles pick-up and drop-off from Jeppesen Terminal Level 5, Island 3, outside doors 505-507 (east side) and 510-512 (west side).

http://www.flydenver.com/commutershuttles?locationServiced=DENVER%20DOWNTOW N,%20CO

TXBRONC
05-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe NTL accomplished this feat three years ago. Might want to ask him, although he was in a rental.

Man was he pissed about them giving him a Kia.

At least it wasn't a Yugo.

OrangeHoof
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Call from your seat in the stands at halftime and tell the Boulder Police you are ready to reveal the killer of Jon Benet Ramsey but only if the police will take you straight to DIA after the game. Let them give you the VIP treatment to the airport and when you get to the terminal, tell them the butler did it.

Or maybe it was Josh McDaniels.

Make sure you get through the TSA screener before you tell them. Happy landings!

slim
05-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Driving is usually faster than walking. Riding a bike is probably faster than walking, too....but maybe not as fast as driving.

In summary, I would probably consider driving.

Tned
05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Driving is usually faster than walking. Riding a bike is probably faster than walking, too....but maybe not as fast as driving.

In summary, I would probably consider driving.

Agreed, except for the car rental return. Still, it might be quicker than trying to get a ride. I'll check out the shuttles, but about ready to punt on the in/out same day idea.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Agreed, except for the car rental return. Still, it might be quicker than trying to get a ride. I'll check out the shuttles, but about ready to punt on the in/out same day idea.

If you give up on the in/out same day idea, the hotel where you are staying would probably provide shuttle from and to DIA.

Tned
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
If you give up on the in/out same day idea, the hotel where you are staying would probably provide shuttle from and to DIA.

I'll call a few shuttles to confirm, but it's probably asking for trouble to try.

Chef Zambini
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Then again, the in and out in same day may just not be possible.most staDIUMS HAVE A LIMO SPECIFIC ACCESS AND PICK UP LINE. i HAVE ONLY BEEN TO THE NEW mILE HIGH ONCE so not sure about their policy and M.O.
that last plane at 7;30 really puts the squeeze on, even with a 2;30 start time.
later flight with a connection may be your only safe alternative, othe than partying all night and catching the first plane out in the morning !
have you checked on the colorado springs flights?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
I'll call a few shuttles to confirm, but it's probably asking for trouble to try.

In case you have not read your pm yet - call this company

http://flatratecoloradoshuttle.com/s...uttle-service/

Chef Zambini
05-24-2012, 02:29 PM
the last time I flew out of DIA it took me an hour to go thru the security and then commute to my terminal.
an HOUR !
it takes less time to actually FLY from phoenix to LA !
you would have to be at the airport by 6:30, the very latest.
that means leaving from the stadium around 5:30, when was the last time ANY of us attended a nationaly telivised game that took less than 3 hours to play?
especially with all the PASSING we can expect !

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Suggestion - call the Broncos' ticket office - explain that you will fly in, leave same day, and see if there is a way to reserve a taxi at the stadium ahead of time, so you will be sure to have one, immediately when the game is over.

Tned
05-24-2012, 02:33 PM
most staDIUMS HAVE A LIMO SPECIFIC ACCESS AND PICK UP LINE. i HAVE ONLY BEEN TO THE NEW mILE HIGH ONCE so not sure about their policy and M.O.
that last plane at 7;30 really puts the squeeze on, even with a 2;30 start time.
later flight with a connection may be your only safe alternative, othe than partying all night and catching the first plane out in the morning !
have you checked on the colorado springs flights?

All flights after 7:30 will have a minimum 8 hour layover (overnight) in what ever city they go to. 7:30 is the only option for me for getting out that night.

Tned
05-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Suggestion - call the Broncos' ticket office - explain that you will fly in, leave same day, and see if there is a way to reserve a taxi at the stadium ahead of time, so you will be sure to have one, immediately when the game is over.

I checked with them and they didn't have any advice other than the taxi's. I hadn't checked my PMs yet, but will check that company, thanks.

I'll research it a little more, but it's probably not worth the heart ache and will just not plan any in/out same day trips.

NightTrainLayne
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM

I did this two years ago.

Flew in in the morning. Rented a car (like $20), tailgated with everyone. Sat next to Buff during the game.

Left immediately after the game. .. .got stuck in traffic. . . returned the rental car, took the shuttle to the gate, and boarded the plane with just a few minutes to spare.

If I hadn't gotten stuck in traffic, I would have had more time to spare. So. . .if someone knows the best place to park and actually get out of the stadium area and onto I-70 in a way that would avoid the most traffic you should be okay.

If I remember right, my flight was for 7:30.

The rental car return etc. is a breeze there. The only concern to me is traffic, or a game that drags on late.

Edit: Mo's right. . .it was three years ago. . .man time flies!

NightTrainLayne
05-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't a great streamlined way to get from Mile High to the airport. As you know, there is only one main road into DIA (I-70/Pena Blvd), and then there is a toll road that feeds into the Pena from the north and south (E470) but you'd have to go north or south to hit the toll roads, and in order to do that you're going to have to fight traffic on I25 or a side street.

I'm trying to think about how I'd do it... The key is to avoid the surrounding lots and I-25 immediately following the game. The biggest delay is always getting out of the parking lot.

I'd probably park off of Federal Blvd to the north of the stadium - then I'd take federal blvd up to 36, across to 270, to I-70 to Pena. You could do that in an hour pretty easily assuming you don't get caught up in gridlock on Federal right around the stadium.

Or you could do the same route, and instead of going from 36 to 270, you'd go to 36 and then north on I-25 to the toll road and then take the toll road west to the airport. That would ensure that you wouldn't get caught in traffic on I-70, but you'd have to hit I-25 north for a few miles to get to the toll road and that will most likely be stop and go with people leaving to the north.

None of that probably makes sense, but I'm hopped up on caffeine and running to a meeting.

As I was stuck in traffic when I did this two years ago I thought to myself, "maybe I should have parked a few blocks up on Federal somewhere, and walked, avoiding some traffic.

It can be done Tned, you just want to limit your exposure to the parking lot/immediate area traffic. The rental cars are cheap, and the return is a breeze. I've returned cars at DIA many times, and always been impressed how quickly you're done.

Buff
05-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Easy.

Supershuttle....1-800-blue-van

Should cost you approx $18.........The only thing is sometimes you have to wait up to 15 minutes for the shuttle. If the game ends around 530 ish, and you skip across the street to pepsi center or auraria campus etc....Even with a 545 pickup, it should only take 35-40 minutes to get to the airport- which if you hurry should have no problems making the flight. I use them all the time anywhere in the states. Best, cheapest, most reliable way to get around.

Call them up, tell them your parameters and enjoy some drank and some bronco wins.

*edit- you can also schedule a pickup at a specific time with no delays, depending if they pick up other people on the way (while still ensuring that you will get to your flight) it could cost like $80 for a solo drive or about $20 less if you snag a few on the way there.

Dude, this is a terrible idea for T's purposes. There is absolutely nothing timely about Super Shuttle. Sometimes they're early, sometimes they're late - sometimes they call you and tell you they can't make it because of a snow storm. Trying to get picked up around downtown during the gridlock of a Broncos game under time constraints would be nearly impossible.

And if you're going to pay for the express version where you don't have to worry about picking up other people, then you're better off getting a taxi or car service.

T - stick with me. I'm all about getting from point A to point B as quickly and conveniently as possible when I travel. None of this dilly dallying that ur is advocating.

Buff
05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
I did this two years ago.

Flew in in the morning. Rented a car (like $20), tailgated with everyone. Sat next to Buff during the game.

Left immediately after the game. .. .got stuck in traffic. . . returned the rental car, took the shuttle to the gate, and boarded the plane with just a few minutes to spare.

If I hadn't gotten stuck in traffic, I would have had more time to spare. So. . .if someone knows the best place to park and actually get out of the stadium area and onto I-70 in a way that would avoid the most traffic you should be okay.

If I remember right, my flight was for 7:30.

The rental car return etc. is a breeze there. The only concern to me is traffic, or a game that drags on late.

Edit: Mo's right. . .it was three years ago. . .man time flies!

I have fond memories of that day and your smooth southern drawl.

Tned
05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
As I was stuck in traffic when I did this two years ago I thought to myself, "maybe I should have parked a few blocks up on Federal somewhere, and walked, avoiding some traffic.

It can be done Tned, you just want to limit your exposure to the parking lot/immediate area traffic. The rental cars are cheap, and the return is a breeze. I've returned cars at DIA many times, and always been impressed how quickly you're done.

I had a nightmare with a rental car at DIA one time, both picking up and returning, but it might have just been a bad experience. It took forever to get the shuttle to the rental area (I think we were Hertz that trip, which I don't usually use) and it then took forever to actually get the car. Then, when returning, there was a real long line of cars waiting to be checked in. That's what had me worried about the rental car, which would normally be my first choice over public transport.

NightTrainLayne
05-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I had a nightmare with a rental car at DIA one time, both picking up and returning, but it might have just been a bad experience. It took forever to get the shuttle to the rental area (I think we were Hertz that trip, which I don't usually use) and it then took forever to actually get the car. Then, when returning, there was a real long line of cars waiting to be checked in. That's what had me worried about the rental car, which would normally be my first choice over public transport.

I should qualify.

I have rented cars many times at DIA from ENTERPRISE.

And once from Avis I believe with some buddies on a ski trip. Enterprise is what I would suggest.

Superchop 7
05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Helicopter

Tned
05-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I should qualify.

I have rented cars many times at DIA from ENTERPRISE.

And once from Avis I believe with some buddies on a ski trip. Enterprise is what I would suggest.

I don't rent domestic very often (rarely travel in US and if it's personal, usually drive), but when I have rented, it's usually Enterprise. That trip was arranged by someone else and they picked Hertz. Outrageously expensive and not a very good experience.

underrated29
05-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Dude, this is a terrible idea for T's purposes. There is absolutely nothing timely about Super Shuttle. Sometimes they're early, sometimes they're late - sometimes they call you and tell you they can't make it because of a snow storm. Trying to get picked up around downtown during the gridlock of a Broncos game under time constraints would be nearly impossible.

And if you're going to pay for the express version where you don't have to worry about picking up other people, then you're better off getting a taxi or car service.

T - stick with me. I'm all about getting from point A to point B as quickly and conveniently as possible when I travel. None of this dilly dallying that ur is advocating.

What super shuttles have you been in? Boulder ones?

It would work. It always works. I never make any sort of traveling plans that do not work. I think it really depends on Ts flights...If he is paying for them or his work is/whatever. In any event he can get an insurance on his flight (which could cover the broncos tix and shuttle fee) for around $37 depending on where he is flying. Then in the event that super shuttle is late (doubtful) or he gets grid locked- possible but not if he schedules a pick up at pepsi center or brooklyns etc. He can then zip down to his flight. If he does not make it, the ins will kick in and he can then either stay at a hotel (for free) or buy tickets for a different flight on a different carrier if need be and get out that way ( which would be fully reimburse). But it all would be fine because he would have at least 1hour 15 min-to make a 35 min trek-- leaving him another 20 minutes of lee way.

But if he was flying to arkansas for ex at 1930 hours, and he got delayed and missed the flight he could then get that flight money back, get a hotel for free or he could then pay for a flight to DFW for ex departing at 830- and then stay overnight or catch a re-route to LIT----all as a precautionary back up. Besides if there was snow enough to delay shuttles/taxis then likely flights would be delayed too. However, if the event was strictly street wise delays, hed be effed regardless of any transportation he uses.