or two.

But the statement I heard the most?

“We traded our best player for Kyle Orton, Robert Ayers and Alphonso Smith
Josh McDaniels is an idiot.”

It hasn’t been an uncommon sentiment around the area. But I was immediately
reminded of another quote:

“I’m not looking for the best players. . . . I’m looking for the right ones.”

While Herb Brooks may not have been a football coach, he did navigate the
greatest underdog story in the history of sports when he led the 1980 U.S.
Olympic hockey team to a gold medal, and his message transcends the ice
rink. It’s a quote that might be worth remembering. After all, the Broncos will
find themselves playing the underdog for most of 2009.

Jay Cutler and Dre Bly may be considered some of the best players by guys in
a sports bar, but after dropping a three-game lead and missing the playoffs
again, they certainly weren’t the right players.

Of course, Ayers and Smith haven’t proved anything yet. Neither has played a
down in the NFL, and neither has earned a starting spot in May. Ayers is a
tweener who may not find a comfortable fit in the new 3-4 scheme until
midseason. Smith is an undersized corner who ran a slower-than-expected
time in the all-important, yet completely overrated, 40-yard dash. But before
we condemn them for what they are, why not praise them for what they’re
not.

Neither scuttled from the NFL combine prematurely without working out or
even giving a heads-up to the teams in attendance. So they’re not Andre
Smith.

Neither tested positive for marijuana at the most crucial time not to do so.
Neither came in with a reputation as a coach’s nightmare who spends more
time acquiring an entourage than refining his route-running. So they’re not
Percy Harvin.

Neither left school early after only one season as a starter. Both stayed all
four years, honing their skills and honoring their commitments. So they’re not
Mark Sanchez.

Neither was suspended during their college careers. So they’re not B.J. Raji.

And neither hid behind Bus Cook after being “picked on” by a new coach.

Everyone of those players was rated higher than Smith or Ayers at some point
during the offseason. Three of them were drafted before the Broncos made
their first selection.

But McDaniels didn’t want those guys. McDaniels was interested in building a
stronger team by dropping some strong individuals. It’s a formula that worked
well for his last team, a team that won three Super Bowls with a sixth-round
quarterback. With linebackers so old that 31 other franchises had no interest.
With creaking wide receivers who played both ways when it helped the team,
despite what it did to their stat sheets. When was the last time a New
England Patriot held a news conference to air his personal complaints?

Football is not now, nor has it ever been, a sport than can be conquered by
one person. There are 22 men on the field, and each is as vital as the next.
The importance of finding players who believe in each other with more
conviction than they believe in the spotlight cannot be overestimated.

That’s what McDaniels has been doing, though to the untrained eye it might
come off as amateurish. That’s okay. That’s what makes it work. That’s why
only one team wins the Super Bowl — because 31 others were too busy
buying talent when they should have been luring character.

Denver needs players like Brian Dawkins, a guy who was considered the
greatest leader and teammate in the history of the NFL by his former fellow
Eagles. They need Alphonso Smith and his record-setting interception
production and team-first attitude on the field. They need his bright, yet
intent, outlook off the field, too. The Broncos need Robert Ayers, whose work
ethic and high motor were confirmed by top pick Knowshon Moreno just as
much as they need his strength and bulk on defense. They need a guy like
Richard Quinn, who played an unheralded position in the most unheralded way
by becoming the best blocking tight end in the draft.

Denver needs a team.

What they don’t need is anyone else to take notice. They don’t need the
constant praise and gold stars from the media because guys like Mel Kiper do
nothing but talk. The athletes on the field know that actions speak louder
than words. So when you hear another random fan shout that McDaniels is
ruining the Broncos, just turn your attention to the team. The actions on the
field will be deafening.

http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/06/02/the-secret-life-of-josh-mcdaniels/comment-page-1/#comment-5236

-----

Simple Jaded
06-04-2009, 12:13 AM
So there is a method to Doogie's stupidity? Sounds so simple.......

Davii
06-04-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm willing to wait it out before I call for his head. Hell, I hope fifty years from now it's known as the Lombardi McDaniels trophy. Only time, and wins or lack thereof, will tell the tale.

WARHORSE
06-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Hear hear!

I would love nothing better for McDaniels way of choosing FOOTBALL players who are smart, tough, enduring and team players to pay off immediately.

It reminds me of the first Broncos superbowl champs.

8 out of the starting 11 guys on the Lamborghini of an offense were late round draft picks.

I hope no one pays attention.

Cause this is an entirely different defense.............and the offense, even without Cutler is loaded with talent.

It all begins up front.:salute:

horsepig
06-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Just like on "Around The Horn" I'm buying this. Elway was the greatest ever IMO but, needed all those other guys to get there. TD was one of those rare hardnosed "players" that was a great guy in the locker room and off the field too.

Besides their obvious talent, there were a lot of pretty good people on those SB teams.

frenchfan
06-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Good post Tops...

It's one thing to not like what McD is doing and another to call him an idiot...

I really liked Shanny but I also believe he wasn't perfect... After the gold years I think our teams had a huge lack of fire... We didn't rebuild well until the last 3 drafts... Too little too late IMO...
But I will still believe Shanny was the best coach we've ever have (hope McD will prove me wrong ;) :D) and is a HoFamer for sure.

Now, McD is coming in town with his methods and his plan... Let him do it before calling him an idiot or an incompetent... IMO, he didn't come with a one year plan... SO let's try to see it in a whole... ;)

Sure, the McJayGate was stupid... But I won't put all the blame on McD... I think Jay has a responsability there too... Both are guilty...
Of course Orton is not better than Jay... Sure he doesn't have Jay's arm... It's a no brainer... But he can do well in McD's system... So, yes, we could have been better with Jay, but IMO we can also live without him.
After all, do you think Brady or Montana had such an arm compared to Elway or Jay?

I like the fact he want our Broncos to work hard and to be very well prepared... I want our team to play hearts and guts... Something I haven't seen for a while here...

I'm not a blind believer or fan...
I just think McD has a better expertise than I have and knows what he is doing... I'm sure he is not perfect and that he'll make mistakes... But he is a professional and he believes in his methods and plan...
Will it work? nobody knows...
I just hope it will for our team.
He has my support and my wishes... Go Broncos :salute:

BroncoTech
06-04-2009, 02:51 AM
I was thinking the secret life of J mcdoogie was that he wore his wife's underwear under his sweat pants. Good to hear it's something else.

:listen:

topscribe
06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Good post Tops...

It's one thing to not like what McD is doing and another to call him an idiot...

I really liked Shanny but I also believe he wasn't perfect... After the gold years I think our teams had a huge lack of fire... We didn't rebuild well until the last 3 drafts... Too little too late IMO...
But I will still believe Shanny was the best coach we've ever have (hope McD will prove me wrong ;) :D) and is a HoFamer for sure.

Now, McD is coming in town with his methods and his plan... Let him do it before calling him an idiot or an incompetent... IMO, he didn't come with a one year plan... SO let's try to see it in a whole... ;)

Sure, the McJayGate was stupid... But I won't put all the blame on McD... I think Jay has a responsability there too... Both are guilty...
Of course Orton is not better than Jay... Sure he doesn't have Jay's arm... It's a no brainer... But he can do well in McD's system... So, yes, we could have been better with Jay, but IMO we can also live without him.
After all, do you think Brady or Montana had such an arm compared to Elway or Jay?

I like the fact he want our Broncos to work hard and to be very well prepared... I want our team to play hearts and guts... Something I haven't seen for a while here...

I'm not a blind believer or fan...
I just think McD has a better expertise than I have and knows what he is doing... I'm sure he is not perfect and that he'll make mistakes... But he is a professional and he believes in his methods and plan...
Will it work? nobody knows...
I just hope it will for our team.
He has my support and my wishes... Go Broncos :salute:

QFT - Outstanding response! http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

Shanny is a good coach. Jay is a good QB. They're gone. Put it to rest. We
just might have another good coach now who has been known to groom good
QBs. Understand that he knows more about football than we do and give him
a chance.

Is that a good summary of your post?

-----

Thnikkaman
06-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Was watching the hour synopses of the '97 Broncos on NFL network last night.
Remembering the "Revenge Tour" that was the playoffs last year. Remembering how we
had ballers that played football, not stat compilers. This team is starting to look like that
kind of team, and we have that kind of coach (I think).

I'm ready for my Crow, I just hope it never comes.

G_Money
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
That’s what McDaniels has been doing, though to the untrained eye it might
come off as amateurish. That’s okay. That’s what makes it work. That’s why
only one team wins the Super Bowl — because 31 others were too busy
buying talent when they should have been luring character.

Denver needs players like Brian Dawkins, a guy who was considered the
greatest leader and teammate in the history of the NFL by his former fellow
Eagles. They need Alphonso Smith and his record-setting interception
production and team-first attitude on the field. They need his bright, yet
intent, outlook off the field, too. The Broncos need Robert Ayers, whose work
ethic and high motor were confirmed by top pick Knowshon Moreno just as
much as they need his strength and bulk on defense. They need a guy like
Richard Quinn, who played an unheralded position in the most unheralded way
by becoming the best blocking tight end in the draft.

Scuse me? The untrained eye just can't see the great character guys and is missing the point?

Didn't we have John Lynch, another great leader and teammate? Yes, we need to replace him since last year we had no leaders, but the appreciable difference between 35 year old Lynch (when he fell off the cliff and we had our same mediocre record) and 35-36 year old Dawkins is...what?

I am a fan of bringing in those sorts of leaders to groom the younger kids into those positions, but I'm not hoping that 35 year old Dawkins plays like 25 year old Dawkins.

The work ethic of Ayers? The guy who was invisible the first 3 years of his college career and ignored coaching because he was mad he didn't get to play his way, and only started listening when it would affect his paycheck?

This season will not be defined by the on-the-field performance of either the rookies or the nearly-retired. It'll be defined by how much buy-in McDaniels can sustain over the ups and downs of a season, and how well the offensive schemes of Josh and the defensive schemes of Mike offset the holes in the roster. By how many locker room leaders we can develop, and how much on-the-field performance we can squeeze out of our in-their-prime players.

Did we add the types of players whose character will allow them to buy in even if the going gets tough and ditch the right guys? Maybe.

Maybe.

There ARE good players on this team. But there were good players on last year's team. Trading out Cutler for Orton, replacing Bly with Goodman...these moves shift the types of players we have. How much better will it make us?

We'll see on the field. I'm done with the pre-training camp "McDaniels has made mistakes and we're in trouble" just as I'm done with "McDaniels is bringing in his players and we'll rock."

You can make a case for either. I want to see my Broncos make Josh's case on the field. Wishing for the first-year players, and the last-year players, to be the impact that pushes us over the top is hoping for a little too much. It's the guys in between that will make or break this season, and Josh's first head coaching gig.

Here's hoping they make it. As the article says, "Denver needs a team." That, at least I can agree with.

Preferrably a good team, thank you very much.

~G

frenchfan
06-05-2009, 12:58 AM
QFT - Outstanding response! http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

Shanny is a good coach. Jay is a good QB. They're gone. Put it to rest. We
just might have another good coach now who has been known to groom good
QBs. Understand that he knows more about football than we do and give him
a chance.

Is that a good summary of your post?

-----I think so :D :beer:

I just would have said that Shanny was a great coach though... To me, he should be a HOFamer.

Jay is right now a good QB... He has all the tools to be great... But he has not yet the attitude and leadership IMO... May be just not yet "mature"... Time will tell if he will be among the greatest or just a "good" QB... But now, he is not a Bronco anymore so I'll think about something else... I hope Orton, Simms or whoever will run well our O. And I also hope we'll have our feared running game back !

Yeah, like G's said, I don't want to fall in the "we suck" or "we rock" attitude...
Mistakes have been made... IMO other mistakes will be made too...
But I can see some good things too (ex: hard training)... And it seems at least McD has a plan... Like I said, will it work? I think nobody can predict that... But sure I'll give a chance to our new coach and team... I'll judge that on the field... The only real thing I expect this year is attitude... I hope we'll improve on many areas but I honestly don't believe our D will suddenly become a top 5 D :coffee: ... Give time to time...

Let's try to have a "fair" look at what happens here (I admit it's not always easy because being a fan is about passion... reason and passion don't work well together)... Sure, some can dislike some moves or some part of the plan... I didn't like some to be honest... But I won't discredit McD's experience and expertise... He does know a whole lot more than I do about football...

Humm... Well... I tried to sum up your summary but I think I've failed... :confused: :laugh:

sacmar
06-05-2009, 04:21 PM
If Mc d can get us wins i don't care if he drowns baby monkeys in his spare time.