PDA

View Full Version : Red-zone TDs mark turnaround for Broncos

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 09:25 PM
This article states what I have been saying all along. A lot of our red zone dysfuction has been caused by poor mistakes not being over powered by defenses.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5729610,00.html

Red-zone TDs mark turnaround for Broncos

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News

October 23, 2007

They’ve been dirty words for much of the season around Dove Valley: red zone.
Though the yards piled up for the Broncos offense, drives then stalled inside the 20, sending kicker Jason Elam out to earn his paycheck.

The end result: The Broncos, with a 15-point scoring average, possessed one of the league’s top-rated offenses in terms of moving the ball but also one of the least efficient at punching it in.

That all changed Sunday night, when the Broncos (3-3) cashed in on all three of their in-close opportunities, capping each of those possessions with Jay Cutler touchdown passes and posting a season-best 31 points.

For some, a weight was lifted after Denver had converted only 7- of-16 previous trips into TDs during its first five games.

"That’s awesome," said receiver Brandon Stokley, who got Denver’s scoring started Sunday with a 15-yard catch in the first quarter. "We really worked hard the last couple weeks. And we knew against a team like the Steelers we couldn’t settle for field goals. To do what we did, I think it shows the character we have in the locker room and the work we’ve put in."

Perhaps equally important was a modification in mind-set.

The Broncos, who previously had been hamstrung by two holding calls and an illegal-formation penalty in the red zone, have had success throwing the ball in tight quarters but often have taken the check-down option rather than attacking in the end zone.

Denver still is only 4-for-14 on third- and fourth-down plays inside the 20-yard line.

The coaches at times have appeared hesitant to cut Cutler loose in tight for fear the young starter will make mistakes that potentially could take points off the board.

Some cases in point:

• A third-and-7 run by Selvin Young in the Oakland game Sept. 16.

• Back-to-back runs on third and fourth down the next week against Jacksonville’s stout front, ending with Cutler getting stuffed on a sneak.

• Young getting the call again on third-and-9 from the Indianapolis 11 on Sept. 30.

Against Pittsburgh, though, Cutler’s scoring throws all came on third-down plays — that includes twice while perched at the 1-yard-line — to fullback Cecil Sapp and tight end Tony Scheffler.

"Early in the season, you’re probably right," said assistant head coach/offense Mike Heimerdinger, who calls the plays in conjunction with Mike Shanahan. "In the back of your mind you’re thinking, ‘We got down here, we need points,'But it’s time to let Jay go and do what he does."

Cutler is now 12-for-21 with seven touchdowns when throwing inside the opponents’ 20. On their other 29 red-zone plays, the Broncos have run the ball. Lately, they actually have had more difficulty powering the ball than airing it out, gaining 10 yards on eight running plays the past two games.

"The last couple weeks we changed what we were doing because of what other teams were doing in the red zone, and we weren’t afraid to throw it down there," Heimerdinger said. "Travis (Henry) gave us a good run (Sunday). But on the goal line we had the two passes and the big play to Brandon. We had passes in there and weren’t afraid to do that. We just said, ‘Hey, let’s play it the way it’s got to be played.’"

Receiver Brandon Marshall maintained that it wasn’t necessarily a case of conservatism but mistakes that had dogged Denver’s offense in the red zone.

"It’s been fumbling, dropped balls, fumbled snaps. That’s what’s been killing us," he said. "We had to cut that to a minimum."

Denver ranks only in a tie for 15th in red-zone TD scoring percentage. The Arizona Cardinals (12-for-17, 70.6 percent), New England Patriots (21-for-32, 65.6), Cincinnati Bengals (11-for-17, 64.7), Cleveland Browns (11-for-17, 64.7) and New Orleans Saints (9-for-14, 64.3) make up the NFL’s top five in that category.

But some of the Broncos believe the Steelers game provided the necessary confidence boost to get them moving — literally.

"The demeanor of the team was different," Scheffler said. "I think we were kind of feeding off the Rockies. We see their success and we’re like, ‘We need to step up.’ The city’s so excited about the Rockies, and we don’t want to let the city down."

Seeing red

The Broncos struggled scoring TDs inside the 20-yard line this year before breaking through against Pittsburgh:

Date Opponent Red-zone efficiency

Sept. 9 at Buffalo 1-for-2, 50 percent

Sept. 16 Oakland 2-for-5, 40 percent

Sept. 23 Jacksonville 2-for-3, 66.7 percent

Sept. 30 at Indianapolis 2-for-4, 50.0 percent

Oct. 7 San Diego 0-for-2, 0 percent

Oct. 21 Pittsburgh 3-for-3, 100 percent

Overall Six games 10-for-19, 52.6 percent

rasizerl@RockyMountainNews.com

lex
10-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, let me know when we can punch it in without resorting to pass plays.

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 09:38 PM

Well I'm letting you know now it wasn't about resorting to it after having watched the game what the passing did was catch them off guard.

sneakers
10-25-2007, 04:53 AM
If we have to resort to trickery and deception plays (versus hammering the ball down their throats) I am ok with that as long as the TD still counts for 6 points.

TXBRONC
10-25-2007, 12:47 PM
If we have to resort to trickery and deception plays (versus hammering the ball down their throats) I am ok with that as long as the TD still counts for 6 points.

You do what you got to do to score. So we used the pass to score in the red zone maybe the next game it's the run.

Besides that we were facing the number one ranked defense in the entire League. So regardless of how they did it was still three red zone scores against the top defense in the NFL.

lex
10-25-2007, 03:41 PM
You do what you got to do to score. So we used the pass to score in the red zone maybe the next game it's the run.

Besides that we were facing the number one ranked defense in the entire League. So regardless of how they did it was still three red zone scores against the top defense in the NFL.

Yeah, but we've seen elite teams in Denver and those teams were very adept at punching it in and against top defenses...undersized line and all.

Stargazer
10-25-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm glad they are resorting to pass plays. Now they can probably punch it in if you mix it up. When Denver is consistenly running in the red zone, everyone knows and they get stuffed. Now diversifying the playbook. We're seeing td's

broncosfanscott
10-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm glad they are resorting to pass plays. Now they can probably punch it in if you mix it up. When Denver is consistenly running in the red zone, everyone knows and they get stuffed. Now diversifying the playbook. We're seeing td's

Exactly. I am glad to see we weren't resorting to FGs in the red zone. We have Cutler in there, so there is no need to run them in all the time. This will in turn open the running in goaline situation.

3 for 3 with 3 TDs in the red zone. That is what I want to see whether it's passing or running. :salute:

TXBRONC
10-26-2007, 01:27 PM

By passing that close to the goal line and being successful it just might give other opponents one more thing to think about.

omac
10-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Just to add; Pittsburgh is the #2 rushing offense in the NFL, but they only have 4 rushing TDs for the season. Even though their running game is supposed to be their trademark, they do whatever they can to score; they don't necessarily need to run it. Despite being a a top rushing team and not scoring many rushing TDs, they are 6th in TDs scored in the league with 19, majority of which came from passing (13).

gobroncsnv
10-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Just score, baby! I'm not looking for style points, just 6 points. You guys are right, the key here is to have NO tendencies, running ANY play out of any formation.

TXBRONC
10-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Just score, baby! I'm not looking for style points, just 6 points. You guys are right, the key here is to have NO tendencies, running ANY play out of any formation.

No kidding in the long run it really doesn't matter to me how we score so as we are scoring touchdowns in the red zone. They count the same whether its a pass or a run.

rcsodak
10-27-2007, 10:55 PM

Last I saw, football was a game that allowed passing of the ball. Maybe you're thinking of Aussie football.:confused:

Denver has always been considered a run-first team. That has opponents gearing up to stop the run. After showing success of passing it, inside the red zone, the run will open back up.

You take what you're given.

rcsodak
10-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah, but we've seen elite teams in Denver and those teams were very adept at punching it in and against top defenses...undersized line and all.

1. "elite" teams are called that for a reason.
2. When, exactly, has Denver had a "top" defense?

lex
10-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Theres a multi-quote button. Look into it.

Last I saw, football was a game that allowed passing of the ball. Maybe you're thinking of Aussie football.:confused:

Denver has always been considered a run-first team. That has opponents gearing up to stop the run. After showing success of passing it, inside the red zone, the run will open back up.

You take what you're given.

Yeah, passing is allowed in football. And its not like the offense has been getting stopped inside the 5 when running sometimes. It happens practically all the time now. Its a shortcoming.

1. "elite" teams are called that for a reason.
2. When, exactly, has Denver had a "top" defense?

Im not talking about Denvers defense. And when Denver has had good teams, theyve been able to punch it in inside the 5 by running.

Stargazer
10-28-2007, 02:45 AM
By passing that close to the goal line and being successful it just might give other opponents one more thing to think about.

It does. Shows up on game film. Shows up in preparation for the Broncos. And makes the defensive coach possibly call different plays to react to Denver inside the red zone. It's a win win for the Broncos. Now we just need to see it implement more. Not just the Pitt game. And I think Denver will continue to mix it up in the red zone. Which makes Denver far more dangerous to defend against.

rcsodak
10-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Theres a multi-quote button. Look into it.

make me

:coffee:

TXBRONC
10-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Instead of having an under current of bad will let's try to talk some football. :beer: