PDA

View Full Version : Broncos see signs of hope as run defense makes strides

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
There is reason for hope that the run defense has a chance to improve.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/oct/24/pro-football-broncos-see-signs-of-hope-as-run/

Broncos see signs of hope as run defense makes strides
Upcoming games against poor running teams should also help

By Frank Schwab, The (Colorado Springs) Gazette
Wednesday, October 24, 2007

ENGLEWOOD — If the Denver Broncos can control the Pittsburgh Steelers' powerful running game, maybe they have figured out their defensive woes.

There was some hope after Sunday's game. After giving up 200 rushing yards three times in a four-game stretch, Denver held Pittsburgh's Willie Parker to 93 yards on 21 carries. Parker had four 100-yard games in five tries before Sunday. Against Denver, he gained 1 yard or less on 11 of his carries.

Denver was coming off a bye week, and the coaches spent the extra time wisely.

"We had a couple weeks to kind of review a few things, put a few things in," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said.

The first step to the improvement was some changes in the plan. The Broncos placed a safety near the line of scrimmage many times, and blitzed often in passing situations. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was surprised at how aggressive Denver's defense was.

"They kind of came out and tried to really load up the line of scrimmage," Roethlisberger said. "There were a couple of plays where they had nine, 10 guys on the line of scrimmage."

Before Denver's fifth game this season, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said he was surprised at how "vanilla" the Broncos' defensive plans had been.

The players didn't think the change in philosophy was as important as their improved performance."I think everyone was more sound, just held their responsibilities," said middle linebacker D.J. Williams, who had seven tackles against Pittsburgh. "It's nothing new that we haven't done. It's just if you have this gap, stay in that gap."

Denver seemed to sacrifice its pass defense a bit to stop the run. Roethlisberger had 290 yards and four touchdowns, and completed 13 of 14 passes in the second half. Broncos players simply credited Roethlisberger for playing well, especially the way he avoided tacklers and found open receivers. The absence of cornerback Champ Bailey, out with a thigh injury, also affected the secondary. Bailey could return this week.

Pass defense hasn't been a big problem for the Broncos this season. The most pressing concern has been their problems stopping the run, so there was reason for optimism.

"We made some strides," Shanahan said.

After facing a stretch of top running teams, the schedule gets easier for the Broncos. Among the top six teams in the NFL in rushing offense, the Broncos have faced four. That doesn't count San Diego, which is ranked 13th but has reigning NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson.

The Broncos' next three opponents rank 27th, 29th and 32nd in the NFL in rushing offense. Green Bay, which Denver plays on Monday, is last in the league with 65.7 rushing yards per game.

With some favorable upcoming matchups, the Broncos' run defense should continue to improve.

"If you don't stop the run, I don't care what level you're at, you're going to have a hard

Lonestar
10-26-2007, 02:17 PM
good find :salute:

underrated29
10-26-2007, 03:15 PM
lets hope so.

broncos9697
10-26-2007, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=TXBRONC;36698]There

thats great news because that gives us time to work on it ,get the heasd back up on the line.plus put us back in the pack which we are now but if we win those next 4-5 game we will be sitting in a great spot going in the down stretch

anton...
10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
i love good things from our team!!
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

East Coast Fan
10-26-2007, 06:51 PM
That game looked like they finally turned the players loose and let them make some plays with their natural abilities. Let's hope that it keeps going that way because it seemed to play to each player's strengths.

lex
10-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Last week was a massive improvement but there is still a long way to go. At least now you can walk away with some hope that its on the upswing. And what really enhances that is seeing the young guys get a chance and be a big part of what we perceive to be an improvement.

East Coast Fan
10-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Last week was a massive improvement but there is still a long way to go. At least now you can walk away with some hope that its on the upswing. And what really enhances that is seeing the young guys get a chance and be a big part of what we perceive to be an improvement.

You're right on all counts. I coached youth soccer for the better part of 6 years, and once had to change my "system" to fit the players rather than try to force them to play it just because I didn't have the right personnel to do it. And it worked out okay-you have to make adjustments and even abandon some things if it's not working, and for some reason it wasn't working in Denver.

And I couldn't make any trades in U-14 soccer! :laugh: