PDA

View Full Version : The latest from camp today (6/3)

Spiritguy
06-03-2009, 05:48 PM
See the vid http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Passing camp recap curtesy of Montrose on the OM.

* Happy Brandon Marshall wasn't suspended, those matters are out of their control. He's been rehabbing fine, doing everything he's supposed to. He'll have plenty of time to learn the offense in August, none of the team's injured players are at the voluntary sessions anyhow.

* All players, including injured, must be in for next week's mandatory camp.

* Happy with Matt Prater, they're putting him in different situations and he's doing well. Common for young kickers to go through rough patches, excited to see him improve.

* Team is coming together quickly, coaches are extremely pleased with the attitude.

* D-Lineman are hard to evaluate in mini-camps because there's no hitting, will get a better feel once training camp begins.

* Explains "hybrids" in most 3-4 teams as OLBs that become defensive ends in passing situations and the team currently has a lot of players working at this spot and learning.

* QB's frustrated him today to where he was swearing. They put as much on the QB's plates as the coaches can handle. The QB's will fail and it's the coaches job to help correct those mistakes.

* Is working with the QBs himself because he has the most knowledge and experience in the system. Also, because he'll be talking to the QBs on gameday, it goes hand-in-hand with communicating a lot during practice.

* Will use every skill Peyton Hillis has. As with Scheffler and Graham, we'll take advantage of every skill they have. He can run out of singleback, catch the ball, block in two-back sets. They're splitting him out wide because of his abilities in the passing game in addition to his tough running. Expect him to play a big role in the offense. They tell every player they have the opportunity to create their own roles and Hillis has done a good job of this.

* Elvis Dumervil missed practice for an excused personal family issue.

* Hillis can play on 3rd downs, as can 3 or 4 other backs on the roster. He'll have impact on 1st and 2nd downs along with being a matchup problem in the red zone. He'll be playing both fullback and tailback along with short yardage and goal-line situations.

* Ryan Torain will be back when he's healthy, certainly not in June.

A follow up from DB.com's

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...actice-report/ (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/wednesdays-practice-report/)

Wednesday’s Practice ReportJune 3rd, 2009 - 1:36pm by Gray Caldwell

Wednesday was the second open practice of passing camp, and there was plenty of action on the field to report. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the happenings at practice.

“WE WANT DANIEL”

The defense made it known from the start of practice that they were out to stop Daniel Graham from making any plays today.

Wesley Woodyard explained:
“Daniel’s a competitor, man. He’s one of the guys who always comes out here and brings his best every day. We like to go after the best, and he’s one of the best.”

So about halfway through an offense vs. defense drill, Alphonso Smith made an acrobatic pass breakup that prevented a Graham touchdown. That got the defense fired up, and the sideline started chanting “We want Daniel!”

As usual, Woodyard was one of the most vocal taunters.

A few plays later, Graham headed back into the huddle — and immediately caught a touchdown.

“He told me, ‘Be careful what you wish for,’” Woodyard said with a laugh.

“Then the next play he got in and scored and tossed me the ball.” Graham said it’s all in good fun, and he likes that guys are competing.

“At this point that’s what it’s all about,” Woodyard said. “Having fun.”

PLAYMAKERS

*In a route-running drill, Tony Scheffler ran up the sideline and looked back for a pass from Kyle Orton. It looked like the throw would sail just over his head, but he leaped and snagged the ball with one hand. That drew cheers from the offense, and Scheffler jogged back to the huddle pretending to try to shake the ball out of his hand.

*There were a couple big defensive plays. First, Darrell Reid snagged a fumble recovery and returned it for a touchdown. Then Mario Haggan stripped LaMont Jordan from behind, which was also recovered by the defense.

*It was the offense that might have had the biggest play of the day, however. The ball was set on the one-yard line, and both the offense and defense trotted out 11 players. Darrell Reid, Kenny Peterson and Jarvis Moss were on the defensive line, Ayers, Woodyard, D.J. Williams and Andra Davis were at linebacker, and Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, Jack Williams and Andre’ Goodman were in the secondary.

Chris Simms dropped back and fired a pass to Brandon Stokley that zipped right past the outstretched arms of Jack Williams. Stokley hauled it in and managed to get two feet inbounds in the end zone before spiking the ball and being met immediately by Knowshon Moreno and Peyton Hillis for a celebration.

QUICK HITS

*The three quarterbacks worked on pass location with Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley. The two receivers stood near the sideline or in the corner of the end zone to practice tight catches.

*Elvis Dumervil was excused from practice today for a personal matter, Head Coach Josh McDaniels said.

In Dumervil’s place with the first string defenders — Robert Ayers.

*During 11-on-11 drills, Spencer Larsen stood beside Peyton Hillis with the offense, though he was wearing a blue defensive No. 46 jersey.

*Two other drills were interesting — Orton worked with the tight ends on route running and catching in the red zone, and the special teams unit practiced onside kicks, a play that has seen some rule changes this offseason.

*Rulon Davis was the last player to leave the field Wednesday. He worked with Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer and Special Teams Assistant Keith Burns after practice on getting loose from blockers during kickoff returns.

broncofaninfla
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Is it just me or does this get the juices flowing? LOVE that Hillis is going to be showcased!

silkamilkamonico
06-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I think Graham is going to have a big year, specifically in TD's.

Hillis is making me forget all about that Knowses Morneo guy.

underrated29
06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I like that they are going to use hillis a lot too, but i am surprised they havent said anything about knowshon. Obviously, its hard to really tell much from running in shorts when there is no hitting, but i figured we might have heard something.

Davii
06-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Everything sounds as good as it should at this point.

We'll see though, no plan survives enemy contact 100% intact.

horsepig
06-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Is it just me or does this get the juices flowing? LOVE that Hillis is going to be showcased!

Right on, Brother!

broncofaninfla
06-04-2009, 07:25 AM
*In a route-running drill, Tony Scheffler ran up the sideline and looked back for a pass from Kyle Orton. It looked like the throw would sail just over his head, but he leaped and snagged the ball with one hand. That drew cheers from the offense, and Scheffler jogged back to the huddle pretending to try to shake the ball out of his hand.
:laugh:

Traveler
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Is it just me or are the coaches making players practice certain drills that weren't used with the former HC?

T.K.O.
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
when i was at dove valley i was soooo bummed they wouldnt let me watch practice,i live 1100+ miles away ,oh well it was cool to see the lombardi's and stuff,it seems there is a whole new attitude this year the players seem stoked ,i know most players are every year. but i really think the broncos had become stagnant and looked almost bored on the field.
i just feel they had all the needed talent but lacked the competitive fire that a team MUST have to win consistantly.
so offseason blunders aside if mcD can motivate this team and bring back the "mile high magic".to the point where teams actually fear playing in denver again.he will have my vote !
im sticking to my 10-6/afcw champs prediction for the 09' BRONCOS!!!:salute: