PDA

View Full Version : MAIL BAG from DP by Mike Klis

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm starting to see a lot of this year's Nuggets in the 2009 Broncos . They were an offensively focused team. They brought in an aging defensive all-star. They got rid of someone who had impressive, yet deceiving stats (Jay Cutler/Marcus Camby). And they picked up some key role players. Do you think that it is possible the Broncos could replicate anything close to what the Nuggets have done?

Philip, Stockton, Calif.
Mike Klis: Who are your aging defensive stars? Brian Dawkins, I presume, for the Broncos . Chris Andersen with the Nuggets? I didn't think 30 was aging, but maybe it is in the NBA.

Anyway, I don't care what George Karl says, the Nuggets' ride was all about Chauncey Billups. And I thought a big reason the Nuggets didn't get past the Lakers is Chauncey got fatigued.

As for the Broncos , you might have something there, Philip, but you never know where that "magic" element is going to come from or when it's going to strike. For the Nuggets, it came with the Billups deal for dribble-hog Allen Iverson. With the Broncos , maybe we'll look back at the 2009 season and say their playoff run started when new coach Josh McDaniels showed the courage to deal away rising star quarterback Jay Cutler in exchange for Kyle Orton, Robert Ayers and Alphonso Smith. Or maybe we'll say Cutler was to the Bears what Billups was to the Nuggets.

Orton-Simms can work. Obviously the offense won't be the same as having Jay Cutler. Will it really be that much worse with Kyle Orton or Chris Simms at the helm? How do you see this quarterback issue impacting our season? How bad will it really be? Thanks.

Andrew, Pittsburgh

Klis: The offense wasn't going to be the same with Jay Cutler. The story about the Broncos' offense this year is not any one player, but the system. It's the system McDaniels coordinated to enormous success the previous three seasons with the New England Patriots.

Neither Orton nor Simms can throw as well as Cutler. But the Broncos do believe Orton-Simms in the new offense can be more effective than Cutler was in directing the old West Coast offense.

Show me the money. I'm not sitting around gnashing my teeth over the loss of Jay Cutler. I'm a fan and believe in my team. But I do have one more question about the situation. Are the Broncos going to recoup part of Jay's signing bonus/ "guaranteed" money?

Kevin Brennan, Kodiak, Alaska

Klis: No. Recouping signing bonuses applies when a player has time left on his contract and holds out from mandatory participation sessions, as was the case with receiver Ashley Lelie before the 2006 season, or prematurely retires, as was the case with Jake Plummer after the 2006 season.

Cutler was never an official holdout because he skipped only what was considered a voluntary offseason conditioning program. When he was traded to the Bears, his contract was transferred to the Bears.Outlook for Broncos - 9-7. Where, in your opinion, do you think the Broncos will finish in the AFC West this coming year? Methinks they'll do all right.

Armando Sandoval, Peralta, N.M.

Klis: Armando, the Broncos were 8-8 last year, and their defense will be better this year merely by showing up. So you have good reason to think the Broncos will do all right this year.

Me? I think the Broncos have a chance to bypass the aging Chargers and win the AFC West this year. I'm not saying they will; I'm saying they have a better shot than many people think. I'd pick the Broncos to finish second in the AFC West with a 9-7 record.

----------------------------------------

Training camp is best time. Are some of the summer practices or camps for the Broncos open to the public? I think I've seen footage where they're doing drills and scrimmages with fans in attendance. I'm thinking about making a summer trip and would like to include this if possible.

Marc, Greensboro, N.C.

Klis: The summer minicamps are not open to the public, but if you're intent on planning an NFL practice with your trip, think the final days of July, first two weeks of August. Training camp is open to the public.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9642168/Online-Chatter

silkamilkamonico
06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Klis: Armando, the Broncos were 8-8 last year, and their defense will be better this year merely by showing up.

LMAO

"Shanahanagans"

topscribe
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Hmmm . . . reckon the Broncos could recruit Chauncey Billups? :coffee:

-----

FanInAZ
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry, but I really had a hard time keeping up with all of his apples to oranges comparisons. He really lost me when he said that two QBs that are not as good as the old QB could produce better results.