PDA

View Full Version : Broncs acquire Gronk

Jsteve01
05-23-2012, 12:07 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-trade-for-chris-gronkowski/

no not that Gronk, or the one we already had.

CoachChaz
05-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Best part of that news is getting rid of Vaughn

MileHighCrew
05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
2 for 3.

TXBRONC
05-23-2012, 12:18 PM

He probably will never be a top fight corner but he did have value as depth and special teams player. He was on the bubble anyway so at the very least got something rather than having to cut him lose.

That said we probably got better end of the deal.

DenBronx
05-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I was hoping that we traded ALL of our TEs for Gronk from NE.

MileHighCrew
05-23-2012, 12:23 PM
We are not going to miss Vaughn, he was depth but we added depth at CB. This is a good move.

topscribe
05-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Good move, no matter whom they got in return. I personally didn't see any
room for him on the roster, anyway. The acquisition of Porter and Florence
crowded things at the position, but Vaughn's pink slip came when the Broncos
drafted Bolden, I think.

Regarding Chris Gronkowski, you think they could couple him with Moreno
and throw in a 7th or so for Chris' brother Rob? Didn't think so . . .

TXBRONC
05-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Good move, no matter whom they got in return. I personally didn't see any
room for him on the roster, anyway. The acquisition of Porter and Florence
crowded things at the position, but Vaughn's pink slip came when the Broncos
drafted Bolden, I think.

Regarding Chris Gronkowski, you think they could couple him with Moreno
and throw in a 7th or so for Chris' brother Rob? Didn't think so . . .

Not even atlernate universe could we couple Moreno, Chris and a seventh rounder for Rob.

Northman
05-23-2012, 12:51 PM
I actually didnt mind Vaughn but i hope Gronk 3.0 works out for us.

Chef Zambini
05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
I would be happy to hear morenos name mentioned in another trade thread with him as the principle.

slim
05-23-2012, 01:00 PM

He was going to get cut anyway.

TXBRONC
05-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I would be happy to hear morenos name mentioned in another trade thread with him as the principle.

Given the fact he's coming off a acl tear I don't think we could trade him for a pack chewed up Juicy Fruit gum.

Watchthemiddle
05-23-2012, 01:09 PM
well you guys all have short term memories.....What I REMEMBER is our secondary AND special teams taking a hit when CV got hurt last year. What people need to realize is that deptch at CB is rare....we had that, and just took a step to lose it. If PM and this offense is as good as everyone seems to think its going to be we are going to light up the scoreboard and yards. WE NEED depth at CB more than we need another stiff at FB. Just my opinion when I look at the big picture. Second...if our offense is potent..I would much rather have CV returning kicks and punts than Decker or DT.

TXBRONC
05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
He was going to get cut anyway.

This way we at least get something for him in return.

iLands
05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Awesome! Glad to see we are still paying a lot of attention to the running game. I am glad we adressed the FB position and in a way that was virtually painless!

Watchthemiddle
05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Running game??? There is no running game in a PM offense. He is just a scap goat.

UnderArmour
05-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm hoping he doesn't miss any blocks to get our quarterback hurt like he did in Dallas.

iLands
05-23-2012, 01:18 PM
:rolleyes:

Remind James and Addai.

Remind Fox.

slim
05-23-2012, 01:19 PM
well you guys all have short term memories.....What I REMEMBER is our secondary AND special teams taking a hit when CV got hurt last year. What people need to realize is that deptch at CB is rare....we had that, and just took a step to lose it. If PM and this offense is as good as everyone seems to think its going to be we are going to light up the scoreboard and yards. WE NEED depth at CB more than we need another stiff at FB. Just my opinion when I look at the big picture. Second...if our offense is potent..I would much rather have CV returning kicks and punts than Decker or DT.

We just signed/drafted a lot of depth.

Having a FB on the roster is more important to this team than keeping around a KR that is likely to get cut anyway.

Also, DT and Decker won't be returning kicks. It will be Bolden or Hillman or someone else.

MileHighCrew
05-23-2012, 01:24 PM
This was an excellent trade, just added a starting FB for a CB that would have been cut or at best was close to last on the depth chart.

Chef Zambini
05-23-2012, 01:32 PM
can our gronk dance while injured?

Chef Zambini
05-23-2012, 01:33 PM
fullback and 2 TEs,
the mumbo-jumbo,
whose laughing now?

Simple Jaded
05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
"Broncos trade CB for the wrong Gronkowski", sounds fimiliar, it wouldn't be shocking if this one contributes more than the last one.

Does anybody remember if Denver had a shot at Fiametta last year? I can't remember but that woulda made a lot of sense at FB.......

TXBRONC
05-23-2012, 01:44 PM

Good grief no team can make use of 10 corner backs. Even without Vaugh Denver still has 15 defensive backs (safeties included). They can't keep that many defensive backs without hurting depth somewhere else. Even with Manning lighting up a score board you see seven or eight corners actived for a game. Maybe you aren't aware of this, but even with Vaughn being traded there are still three defensive backs that I know of on the roster who have experience returning punts and kicks (Thompson, Bolden, and Judie). I have a hunch that Thomas and Deckers wont be returning punts and kicks unless becomes a necessity. That being said, I would rather trade him and get some depth at another position than just let go for nothing.

Jsteve01
05-23-2012, 02:07 PM
how much two back do you really expect us to run?

Simple Jaded
05-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Running game??? There is no running game in a PM offense. He is just a scap goat.
What's a scap goat? Also, Edgerin James is an obvious exception to the notion that there is no running game in a Manning offense. But I agree that the Colts didn't run the ball enough, their run/pass ratio was pathetic, it has been the polar opposite of the '11 Broncos offense.

But here is the difference between the two offenses, the Manning offense at least had the ability to be a run-to-step-up-the-pass offense on any given Sunday. That is to say that the offense was not severely limited by the ability of their RB's. The Broncos now have the ability to be as balanced as they wanna be.......

guitarj
05-23-2012, 02:29 PM

No way we keep 11 corners on the roster. Someone has to go. At least we got something in return

LTC Pain
05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
What's a scap goat? Also, Edgerin James is an obvious exception to the notion that there is no running game in a Manning offense. But I agree that the Colts didn't run the ball enough, their run/pass ratio was pathetic, it has been the polar opposite of the '11 Broncos offense.

But here is the difference between the two offenses, the Manning offense at least had the ability to be a run-to-step-up-the-pass offense on any given Sunday. That is to say that the offense was not severely limited by the ability of their RB's. The Broncos now have the ability to be as balanced as they wanna be.......

C'mon dude, where were you raised? "scap goat" is the same as a "scrape goat". Get it now :listen: :D :lol:

Simple Jaded
05-23-2012, 02:36 PM
how much two back do you really expect us to run?

Not a whole lot, unfortunately, and I was hoping Fannin would get the call at FB when they did go two-back (in other than goal line/short yardage situations)?

Fox did mention the two-back offense tho, in context with merging what the Broncos do with what Manning was used to in Indy.......

Chef Zambini
05-23-2012, 02:40 PM
a scape goat is someone you blame your problems on. see the bible or shanahan for details.
a FB will be a blocker and an outlet in a PM offense!
two backs?
sure, we will see it alot with the non FB moving into the slot or up to the line of scrimmage as an additional receiver.
manning will decide based on the defensive personnel, and the run or pass will depend on what he thinks will work, given, down, distance and match-ups.
the dude may have a neck problem, but there is nothing wrong with his brain.
getting what I hope will be a quality FB for our offense in exchange for one of our 18 defensive backs is a great move ,
yet another by our front office !

Simple Jaded
05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
a scape goat is someone you blame your problems on. see the bible or shanahan for details.
a FB will be a blocker and an outlet in a PM offense!
two backs?
sure, we will see it alot with the non FB moving into the slot or up to the line of scrimmage as an additional receiver.
manning will decide based on the defensive personnel, and the run or pass will depend on what he thinks will work, given, down, distance and match-ups.
the dude may have a neck problem, but there is nothing wrong with his brain.
getting what I hope will be a quality FB for our offense in exchange for one of our 18 defensive backs is a great move ,
yet another by our front office !I know what a scape goat is, but joking aside maybe you can explain what that has to do with a Manning offense.......

Chef Zambini
05-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I know what a scape goat is, but joking aside maybe you can explain what that has to do with a Manning offense.......dont aSK ME i DIDNT MAKE THE STAEMENT AND i have no clue what it has to do with manning and his offense.

guitarj
05-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Hahaha. Good one! :-)

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt using Forum Runner

Cugel
05-23-2012, 04:53 PM
No way we keep 11 corners on the roster. Someone has to go. At least we got something in return

Right now they just ADDED two veteran CBs in Porter and Drayton Florence.

Aside from starters Champ and Tracy Porter, then for backups they still have:

Omar Bolden, Tony Carter, Drayton Florence, Chris Harris, Coryell Judie, Joshua Moore, Ramzee Robinson, & Syd'Quan Thompson

Last year they kept FIVE CBs and six WRs, but one WR position was because their KR Eddie Royal was a WR. This year if Bolden can return kicks like they hope they are likely to keep 6 CBs and 5 WRs, and FOUR of those spots are already taken virtually for sure.

Champ, Porter, Florence and Omar Bolden will make the roster (unless Bolden proves to be worthless in training camp and gets himself cut).

That leaves only TWO roster spots and SIX CBs. Four of those players aren't going to make the 53 man roster.

Cassius Vaughn was hopelessly far down on the depth chart and they got something for him instead of having to cut him during training camp or the after the first pre-season game.

NorCalBronco7
05-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Its gonna be wierd to see Manning in a two back set with any consistency. Doesnt seem right, but I am looking forward to it.

Although I loved Vaughs speed, he played terrible in press situations. Fox likes to jam, so moving him instead of say Thompson makes sense.

BORDERLINE
05-23-2012, 08:09 PM
hope this works out but I don't expect much. Could be a diamond in the ruff

Softskull
05-23-2012, 08:24 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-trade-for-chris-gronkowski/

no not that Gronk, or the one we already had.

I would like to request one of the good Gronks for a change.

TXBRONC
05-24-2012, 07:02 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Chef Zambini
05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Its gonna be wierd to see Manning in a two back set with any consistency. Doesnt seem right, but I am looking forward to it.

Although I loved Vaughs speed, he played terrible in press situations. Fox likes to jam, so moving him instead of say Thompson makes sense.run or pass from the mumbo-jumbo, I love it ! and PM is gonna love it too !
and depending on our oppnent and the make-up of their secondary, it is a great alternative to a 3-wide or spread.
in fact we can still go 3 wide with mumbo jumbo and force smaller secondary players to take on much bigger and stronger assignments.
its gonna be sweet !

Chef Zambini
05-24-2012, 10:00 AM
... and if safeties and linebackers move out to cover our FB and TEs, we run the ball right up the middle with no defenders in the vicinity once he breaks the LOS !