PDA

View Full Version : Defensive coordinator rankings

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Posted: June 3, 2009
It seems the whole league is changing to a 3-4 these days, and there are plenty of those system gurus on this list. But the best coordinators are the coaches who can adapt the talent at their disposal and attack an offense in a variety of ways.

RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, rank their top 20 defensive coordinators:

1. Dick LeBeau, Steelers. LeBeau perfected the zone blitz, and you'll see Pittsburgh continue to run this defense as long as he's the coordinator. He likes to mix looks and bring pressure from different points on the field. He doesn't have a great matchup secondary, so he attacks offenses with all-out pressure.

2. Jim Johnson, Eagles. Another disciple of the zone blitz, Johnson likes to bring pressure from up and down the line and he asks his defensive backs to jam receivers and play physical. Typically, he prefers quicker one gap-shooting linemen and active linebackers. This is probably the most athletic front seven the Eagles have had in a while, but they still like to bring the blitz. After taking a leave of absence to undergo chemotherapy, here's hoping Johnson is healthy enough to be on the sidelines in '09.

3. Leslie Frazier, Vikings. He has the horses up front to send a nice pressure package at quarterbacks, and he likes to play some mixed zones behind it with cornerback Antoine Winfield more often in press coverage. With DE Jared Allen joining the team last year, the blitz package is a thing of the past, though it could return if the Williams Wall misses significant time.

4. Jim Bates, Bucs. Tampa Bay's new defensive leader plays an aggressive scheme that calls for playmakers to make big plays. Look for the Bucs to move away from the traditional Tampa-2 zone scheme and have defensive backs making more plays on the ball, while the defensive front will be less about stunts and twists and more about getting pressure off the edges.

5. Dom Capers, Packers. He is a diehard believer in the 3-4 defense. We wonder whether Green Bay has the pieces to make the change in '09. Capers knows the scheme inside and out and has been through the transition before. He can guide players like Aaron Kampman, A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett through struggles.

6. Greg Blache, Redskins. He runs an aggressive scheme that relies on pressure at every level. He likes to get a big push inside from his tackles, explaining the Albert Haynesworth signing. Blache also likes linebackers who run to the ball and corners and safeties who press and play close to the line of scrimmage. With more pieces in place, expect Washington to harass the quarterback consistently in '09.

7. Mike Nolan, Broncos. He will have a challenge this season, but if anyone can turn around a moribund defense it's Nolan. An ardent 3-4 man, Nolan must employ a hybrid in '09. His priority is shoring up the run defense, a benefit of playing the 3-4 front. He must rely on a strong secondary to play well in coverage while he figures out how to generate pressure on the quarterback.

8. Dean Pees, Patriots. Pees is learning from the master, Bill Belichick. No team does a better job of adapting personnel and playing the matchup game. With upgrades in the secondary, Pees will have more options in the pass rush. He will bring a fourth rusher out of the 3-4, but that player always will come from a different spot on the field. Pees is a name to watch.

9. Mike Zimmer, Bengals. The Bengals likely will continue to employ a 4-3 scheme as it has throughout Marvin Lewis' tenure. Cincinnati has a lot of linebackers and converted college ends, so Zimmer could tinker with some 3-4 alignments. Zimmer has extensive experience mixing formations and will introduce some new wrinkles to confuse opponents.

10. Paul Pasqualoni, Dolphins. Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano love him, and after watching that turnaround last year who are we to argue? Pasqualoni has the knowledge and adaptability skills to be an asset within any scheme, but he is an old-time coach who can teach technique on a one-on-one level. Joey Porter's career was over until Pasqualoni arrived in Miami.

11. Clancy Pendergast, Chiefs. Pendergrast is unpredictable -- at times unorthodox -- and is tough to game plan against. The Chiefs will use a 3-4 scheme as their base defense, but liberal usage of the 4-3 in nickel sets keeps opponents guessing.

12. John Marshall, Raiders. Marshall, who comes to Oakland after a six-year stint as Mike Holmgren's defensive coordinator in Seattle, is all about pressure. The Seahawks were among the most prolific pass-rush teams in recent seasons, thanks to a strong outside rush and quick, gap-shooting tackles. He likes to mix coverages and formations, so versatility in the front seven is critical. There is talent on the Raiders' roster, so don't be surprised to see more success in '09.

13. Gregg Williams, Saints. He uses a lot of stunts and twists with his linemen. Speed at defensive end is important. In the secondary, New Orleans will utilize a mixture of zone and man-to-man schemes with a lot of cornerback man-to-man coverages with safety help over the top in combination schemes.

14. Ron Rivera, Chargers. He has experience coaching the 4-3, the Tampa-2 and now the 3-4 scheme. Although the Chargers will remain a 3-4 front, Rivera incorporates aspects of the other schemes. That means more aggressive play-calling in terms of blitzes and letting Shawne Merriman loose behind a more talented defensive front.

15. Gunther Cunningham, Lions. Big and physical is the way Cunningham and new coach Jim Schwartz like their defensive players. The first priority will be stopping the run and solidifying the front seven. Look for plenty of aggressive calls and blitz schemes early.

16. Perry Fewell, Bills. Fewell runs a conservative version of the 4-3 scheme. The Bills blitz sparingly, preferring to generate a push with linemen. He likes to utilize a lot of cover-2 zone schemes. Fewell uses some pre-snap movement to confuse opponents, but after the snap he keeps it pretty basic.

17. Larry Coyer, Colts. A former defensive line coach, he will emphasize the importance of line play -- in pressuring the quarterback and defending the run. Coyer has been around a long time and is a 4-3 disciple, but he is sure to address the Colts' weakness in defending the run.

18. Rob Ryan, Browns. He uses a fair amount of formations to keep opponents guessing. Look for a lot of different formations and movement within the Browns' 3-4 scheme, which will look a lot like brother Rex's hybrid scheme made famous in Baltimore. We will see a lot of press coverage by the cornerbacks and be aggressive, mostly using man-to-man. It is a fairly simple defense that relies on the guys up front to apply pressure while the back seven concentrates on coverage.

19. Greg Manusky, 49ers. He emphasizes a 3-4 press-type style with lots of different looks and frequent shifting of personnel. The key element for opponents is trying to figure out where the fourth pass rusher is going to line up. Frequent blitzing by cornerbacks and safeties is a staple -- as well as lots of man-to-man coverage -- but the main pass rush must come from the outside linebackers. He also will show a 4-3 nickel front in passing situations. This defense will resemble the Steelers at times, and don't be surprised to see Patrick Willis unleashed as a blitzer.

20. Ron Meeks, Panthers. He likes to play zone schemes behind a stunting defensive line. He likes to have constant movement that really confuses blocking schemes. The back seven play it sound and simple; they try to keep everything in front of them and prevent big plays. You are not going to beat his defense by dictating matchups on offense. They don't like to blitz much and shouldn't have to if Julius Peppers returns.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=556104

powderaddict
06-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I hope he can bring some sense of stability to the defense. It was just painful last year watching so many players wandering around looking lost. It made me sad. :(

NightTrainLayne
06-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Bates still gets a lot of respect for his work in Miami. I'm surprised to see him so high on this list.

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Bates still gets a lot of respect for his work in Miami. I'm surprised to see him so high on this list.

I guess had he had more that 15 minutes into the season here he may still have been here.. and mikey would be looking at playoff instead of blueprints this season..

silkamilkamonico
06-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Yep. How stupid is Shanahan. Seriously?

He fires Jim Bates, who's notorious for building top 10 defenses in the NFL, after not even a full season, replaces him with some hack named Bob SLowik who's done nothing but fail everywhere, and not only after Slowik gives us the worst defense ever in franchise history, Shanahan retains him again. Are you kidding me?

You don't hire a guy with a proven track record of building and then fire him after 10 games. Shanahan and his patchwork ways finally did him in, and I couldn't have been happier.

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 10:03 PM

He fires Jim Bates, who's notorious for building top 10 defenses in the NFL, after not even a full season, replaces him with some hack named Bob SLowik who's done nothing but fail everywhere, and not only after Slowik gives us the worst defense ever in franchise history, Shanahan retains him again. Are you kidding me?

You don't hire a guy with a proven track record of building and then fire him after 10 games. Shanahan and his patchwork ways finally did him in, and I couldn't have been happier.

bates would not kowtow to him like slowitt did.. I really think Bates was forced on mike by Pat after they fired coyer and his bend but don't break bovine excrement..

mike got rid of all the real DC we have had Robinson and the black dude who came from Philly IIRC and went o SEA after here.

both coaches he could not intimidate..

hamrob
06-03-2009, 10:23 PM

You don't hire a guy with a proven track record of building and then fire him after 10 games. Shanahan and his patchwork ways finally did him in, and I couldn't have been happier.Yeah...that Shanny was a dummass. He won 2 superbowls....where none had been won before. He ended up as the #4 best winning percentage in the AFC during 2000-2009. With the Pats, Colts and Steelers being the only AFC teams in front of them...who by the way won 6 of 8 Superbowls. Oh, and did I mention that only one NFC team did better during that time period (The Eagles) Yeah...that guy Shanny sucked! We just know that Mcdaniels will do better than that...don't we Silkamildadumbass?

Let's face it...Mcdaniels is going to be sooooo much better! Boy am I smart!

Look....talk to me when Mcdaniels takes us to the promised land...until then...shut the F**8 up!

hamrob
06-03-2009, 10:28 PM
bates would not kowtow to him like slowitt did.. I really think Bates was forced on mike by Pat after they fired coyer and his bend but don't break bovine excrement..

mike got rid of all the real DC we have had Robinson and the black dude who came from Philly IIRC and went o SEA after here.

both coaches he could not intimidate..JR or Zam...whoeve you are. Talk to me when McDipshisisisis wins 2 Superbowls and allows us to be amongst the top 5 winningest teams in the NFL over the next 10 years.

Until then....cool your Shanny bashing...digit!

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 10:33 PM
JR or Zam...whoeve you are. Talk to me when McDipshisisisis wins 2 Superbowls and allows us to be amongst the top 5 winningest teams in the NFL over the next 10 years.

Until then....cool your Shanny bashing...digit!

I hardly think that is going to happen.. it is so easy to do especially now with him checking out blueprints instead of playbooks..

ahahahahahahahahahaha

getlynched47
06-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Pees :laugh:

horsepig
06-03-2009, 10:51 PM
For the life of me I could never figure out just what in the Hell Mike's thought process could have been in regard to all these DCs.

Bates must have been forced on him. Did the two men never talk? Was mike caught off guard by Bates's schemes? If so he's got nobody to blame but himself. If he knew what Bates wanted to do (which he most sure as Hell did) and then threw it all under the bus just like a dead cat then he deserved to be canned right then and there, IMHO.

silkamilkamonico
06-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah...that Shanny was a dummass. He won 2 superbowls....where none had been won before. He ended up as the #4 best winning percentage in the AFC during 2000-2009. With the Pats, Colts and Steelers being the only AFC teams in front of them...who by the way won 6 of 8 Superbowls. Oh, and did I mention that only one NFC team did better during that time period (The Eagles) Yeah...that guy Shanny sucked! We just know that Mcdaniels will do better than that...don't we Silkamildadumbass?

Let's face it...Mcdaniels is going to be sooooo much better! Boy am I smart!

Look....talk to me when Mcdaniels takes us to the promised land...until then...shut the F**8 up!

Awesome argument. Nebraska was also the premier college in the D1 in the late 90's as well. What's next? Al Davis is still arguably the greatest owner in the game because of his previous accomplishments with Oakland 20+ years ago?

Keep reachin'

:rolleyes:

gobroncsnv
06-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Bet ya Coyer will be lotsamore better with the Dline the Colts have, compared to what we had when he was here... He had us doing the bend - don't break thing because we didn't have players who could keep us from bending at the line. No pass rush, no rings.

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Bet ya Coyer will be lotsamore better with the Dline the Colts have, compared to what we had when he was here... He had us doing the bend - don't break thing because we didn't have players who could keep us from bending at the line. No pass rush, no rings.

but his D was designed around the LB core which was outstanding for the most part.. I would bet he did not press mike for DL like he should have. got to remember mike surround himself with yes men and if mike did not want it it was not gonna happen..

Simple Jaded
06-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I don't think Nolan's defenses have justified that high of a ranking, not since he had Championship talent in B-more.......

horsepig
06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Some people talk about how Mike did well to pick up Alfred Williams & Neil Smith. Hell, Smith was upset at being dumped by the dumbass Chefs and was driving to Lincoln to talk it over with Dr. Tom. About 1/2 way he thought, Hell who needs some good DEnds to get a ring-Elway! He turned around, drove straight to Dove Valley and asked if he could play for the Broncos!

Luckily, Mike took him in. I always love/hated that guy. He gave our boys some Hell over the years, but got his here, oh yeah!

I don't recall what they gave up for Alfred, but I don't think it was much. We were incredibly lucky those TWO guys showed up for our SB runs.

Lonestar
06-04-2009, 12:08 AM
I don't think Nolan's defenses have justified that high of a ranking, not since he had Championship talent in B-more.......

I beleive it is ranked on how good a coach they are/were.. and the potential with the players they now have..

horsepig
06-04-2009, 12:09 AM
My point is that Mike lucked out with that DLine. I bet Greg Robinson would have committed hari-kari if they'd let those two get away.

Simple Jaded
06-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I beleive it is ranked on how good a coach they are/were.. and the potential with the players they now have..

Sounds simple enough.......

horsepig
06-04-2009, 12:32 AM

both coaches he could not intimidate..

Ray Rhodes Jr, who has been very successful everywhere but Denver.

Elevation inc
06-04-2009, 01:29 AM
whats funny is had bates been a yes man he would still be here. in fact there is proof it was in fact slowik who took over for jim bates unofficially afetr he was demoted by shanny...not suprising our 2 worst defenses in the last 20 years were fielded under the tutelage of a DC who has had the worst history and track record as a DC of anyone we had in that role for sometime.....

Seriously Bates took the fall for nothing simply because he didnt agree with shanny and his policies.......

Elevation inc
06-04-2009, 01:31 AM

his defense after 2005 to present was as a HC not DC so they dont count those, which makes sense....some cordinators are meant to be cordinators. i belive nolan is one of those becasue he has no clue how to build or run a offense....

but his defenses as a DC have all been solid and in baltimore they were very good....

powderaddict
06-04-2009, 09:30 AM

How many DC's have had great defenses without star talent? :rolleyes:

I'm not expecting a great defense from Nolan this year, I am expecting a better coached and better prepared defense, which will be an improvement all in itself.

This defense is more than 1 offseason away from being a good defense, but you have to start somewhere.

underrated29
06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I did not like bates schemes. And obviously bob blowsdick was even worse.

They were both to much crackpot schemes to me. And unless they had the exact personale or were run to a T- they had major weaknesses. As we found out the last two years.

Thats why i think we will go 9-7 10-6 even with our hard schedule as our defense will be a normal defense, a good defense and get us those wins we never should have lost.

Capers would have been my #1, but nolan was #2. And i LOVE IT.

The rest of the chumps- bates, coyer, blowsdick--aint got nothing on what we will have.

Bronco Bible
06-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Posted: June 3, 2009
It seems the whole league is changing to a 3-4 these days, and there are plenty of those system gurus on this list. But the best coordinators are the coaches who can adapt the talent at their disposal and attack an offense in a variety of ways.

RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, rank their top 20 defensive coordinators:

1. Dick LeBeau, Steelers. LeBeau perfected the zone blitz, and you'll see Pittsburgh continue to run this defense as long as he's the coordinator. He likes to mix looks and bring pressure from different points on the field. He doesn't have a great matchup secondary, so he attacks offenses with all-out pressure.

2. Jim Johnson, Eagles. Another disciple of the zone blitz, Johnson likes to bring pressure from up and down the line and he asks his defensive backs to jam receivers and play physical. Typically, he prefers quicker one gap-shooting linemen and active linebackers. This is probably the most athletic front seven the Eagles have had in a while, but they still like to bring the blitz. After taking a leave of absence to undergo chemotherapy, here's hoping Johnson is healthy enough to be on the sidelines in '09.

3. Leslie Frazier, Vikings. He has the horses up front to send a nice pressure package at quarterbacks, and he likes to play some mixed zones behind it with cornerback Antoine Winfield more often in press coverage. With DE Jared Allen joining the team last year, the blitz package is a thing of the past, though it could return if the Williams Wall misses significant time.

4. Jim Bates, Bucs. Tampa Bay's new defensive leader plays an aggressive scheme that calls for playmakers to make big plays. Look for the Bucs to move away from the traditional Tampa-2 zone scheme and have defensive backs making more plays on the ball, while the defensive front will be less about stunts and twists and more about getting pressure off the edges.

5. Dom Capers, Packers. He is a diehard believer in the 3-4 defense. We wonder whether Green Bay has the pieces to make the change in '09. Capers knows the scheme inside and out and has been through the transition before. He can guide players like Aaron Kampman, A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett through struggles.

6. Greg Blache, Redskins. He runs an aggressive scheme that relies on pressure at every level. He likes to get a big push inside from his tackles, explaining the Albert Haynesworth signing. Blache also likes linebackers who run to the ball and corners and safeties who press and play close to the line of scrimmage. With more pieces in place, expect Washington to harass the quarterback consistently in '09.

7. Mike Nolan, Broncos. He will have a challenge this season, but if anyone can turn around a moribund defense it's Nolan. An ardent 3-4 man, Nolan must employ a hybrid in '09. His priority is shoring up the run defense, a benefit of playing the 3-4 front. He must rely on a strong secondary to play well in coverage while he figures out how to generate pressure on the quarterback.

8. Dean Pees, Patriots. Pees is learning from the master, Bill Belichick. No team does a better job of adapting personnel and playing the matchup game. With upgrades in the secondary, Pees will have more options in the pass rush. He will bring a fourth rusher out of the 3-4, but that player always will come from a different spot on the field. Pees is a name to watch.

9. Mike Zimmer, Bengals. The Bengals likely will continue to employ a 4-3 scheme as it has throughout Marvin Lewis' tenure. Cincinnati has a lot of linebackers and converted college ends, so Zimmer could tinker with some 3-4 alignments. Zimmer has extensive experience mixing formations and will introduce some new wrinkles to confuse opponents.

10. Paul Pasqualoni, Dolphins. Bill Parcells and Tony Sparano love him, and after watching that turnaround last year who are we to argue? Pasqualoni has the knowledge and adaptability skills to be an asset within any scheme, but he is an old-time coach who can teach technique on a one-on-one level. Joey Porter's career was over until Pasqualoni arrived in Miami.

11. Clancy Pendergast, Chiefs. Pendergrast is unpredictable -- at times unorthodox -- and is tough to game plan against. The Chiefs will use a 3-4 scheme as their base defense, but liberal usage of the 4-3 in nickel sets keeps opponents guessing.

12. John Marshall, Raiders. Marshall, who comes to Oakland after a six-year stint as Mike Holmgren's defensive coordinator in Seattle, is all about pressure. The Seahawks were among the most prolific pass-rush teams in recent seasons, thanks to a strong outside rush and quick, gap-shooting tackles. He likes to mix coverages and formations, so versatility in the front seven is critical. There is talent on the Raiders' roster, so don't be surprised to see more success in '09.

13. Gregg Williams, Saints. He uses a lot of stunts and twists with his linemen. Speed at defensive end is important. In the secondary, New Orleans will utilize a mixture of zone and man-to-man schemes with a lot of cornerback man-to-man coverages with safety help over the top in combination schemes.

14. Ron Rivera, Chargers. He has experience coaching the 4-3, the Tampa-2 and now the 3-4 scheme. Although the Chargers will remain a 3-4 front, Rivera incorporates aspects of the other schemes. That means more aggressive play-calling in terms of blitzes and letting Shawne Merriman loose behind a more talented defensive front.

15. Gunther Cunningham, Lions. Big and physical is the way Cunningham and new coach Jim Schwartz like their defensive players. The first priority will be stopping the run and solidifying the front seven. Look for plenty of aggressive calls and blitz schemes early.

16. Perry Fewell, Bills. Fewell runs a conservative version of the 4-3 scheme. The Bills blitz sparingly, preferring to generate a push with linemen. He likes to utilize a lot of cover-2 zone schemes. Fewell uses some pre-snap movement to confuse opponents, but after the snap he keeps it pretty basic.

17. Larry Coyer, Colts. A former defensive line coach, he will emphasize the importance of line play -- in pressuring the quarterback and defending the run. Coyer has been around a long time and is a 4-3 disciple, but he is sure to address the Colts' weakness in defending the run.

18. Rob Ryan, Browns. He uses a fair amount of formations to keep opponents guessing. Look for a lot of different formations and movement within the Browns' 3-4 scheme, which will look a lot like brother Rex's hybrid scheme made famous in Baltimore. We will see a lot of press coverage by the cornerbacks and be aggressive, mostly using man-to-man. It is a fairly simple defense that relies on the guys up front to apply pressure while the back seven concentrates on coverage.

19. Greg Manusky, 49ers. He emphasizes a 3-4 press-type style with lots of different looks and frequent shifting of personnel. The key element for opponents is trying to figure out where the fourth pass rusher is going to line up. Frequent blitzing by cornerbacks and safeties is a staple -- as well as lots of man-to-man coverage -- but the main pass rush must come from the outside linebackers. He also will show a 4-3 nickel front in passing situations. This defense will resemble the Steelers at times, and don't be surprised to see Patrick Willis unleashed as a blitzer.

20. Ron Meeks, Panthers. He likes to play zone schemes behind a stunting defensive line. He likes to have constant movement that really confuses blocking schemes. The back seven play it sound and simple; they try to keep everything in front of them and prevent big plays. You are not going to beat his defense by dictating matchups on offense. They don't like to blitz much and shouldn't have to if Julius Peppers returns.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=556104

Gosh!!!!!!!!! Idon't see Slowick on that list:confused:

powderaddict
06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Gosh!!!!!!!!! Idon't see Slowick on that list:confused:

that's because you run out of numbers before you get to his ranking.

LRtagger
06-04-2009, 01:29 PM
that's because you run out of numbers before you get to his ranking.

Plus they didn't want to start including the general population in the rankings since the average joe is a better DC than nitwit.

Simple Jaded
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
How many DC's have had great defenses without star talent? :rolleyes:

I'm not expecting a great defense from Nolan this year, I am expecting a better coached and better prepared defense, which will be an improvement all in itself.

This defense is more than 1 offseason away from being a good defense, but you have to start somewhere.

I don't think McDaniels thinks Nolan needs star talent, that's not The Patriot Way, there was far better talent available to them in free agency, yet only Dawkins could be described as a star talent.......a very old star talent.

I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but hell, most of the newcomers could barely be described as starting talent.......

powderaddict
06-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but hell, most of the newcomers could barely be described as starting talent.......

I know, what's crazy is how much starting talent is just laying around waiting to sign a reasonalbe contract!

They do grow on trees, afterall!

Lonestar
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't think McDaniels thinks Nolan needs star talent, that's not The Patriot Way, there was far better talent available to them in free agency, yet only Dawkins could be described as a star talent.......a very old star talent.

Finally coming around huh?

Actually the Patriot way is to have 3-4 all pro to excellent players and very good ones beside them playing a coherent scheme, along with good second team players behind all of that.. and then coach the hell out of them..

a good mixture of old savvy pros all the way through to rookies.. and since you have good backups if someone gets uppity at contract time you let them go vs overpaying them and move the backup in to take their spot in most cases they do not skip a beat.

all of the above is what he have lacked at least the last TWO years if not longer..

gobroncsnv
06-04-2009, 11:31 PM
but his D was designed around the LB core which was outstanding for the most part.. I would bet he did not press mike for DL like he should have. got to remember mike surround himself with yes men and if mike did not want it it was not gonna happen..

I don't think Coyer would have designed a defense to give Manning or Roethlisburger the kind of time that they got in their respective playoff games. My point goes to Coyer is a better DC than our front four let him be. No d scheme works without pass pressure. I'm thinking he'll be better with Freeney and co than he was here. My comment is more about the WHAT he lacked instead of WHY he lacked it.

Lonestar
06-05-2009, 02:05 AM
I don't think Coyer would have designed a defense to give Manning or Roethlisburger the kind of time that they got in their respective playoff games. My point goes to Coyer is a better DC than our front four let him be. No d scheme works without pass pressure. I'm thinking he'll be better with Freeney and co than he was here. My comment is more about the WHAT he lacked instead of WHY he lacked it.

he was a great tactician when he had a week to plan it.. but the minute there were adjustments made to counter what he did he could not counter them..

Almost every game he was DC in the first quarter and most of the second quarter our D was pretty good.. after they adjusted to it especially after half time we were screwed..

plus he loved to blitz alot live by the blitz DIE by the blitz..

gobroncsnv
06-05-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm saying he couldn't come up with enough tactics to beat Indy or the Steelers because we didn't have a pass rush... at all. Not at the beginning of the game, not at the end of the game. Our front four didn't give him any options to ADJUST WITH. I was amazed how far we got in spite of our sackless season. People couldn't beat us with the run while he was here, but passing.... anudder story. I will hold with the idea that ANY DC looks much better when he can bring even minimal pressure (as opposed to NONE) with just the front four... (look in Wikipedia under Spagnuolo) Think the Rams D is going to be as good as the Giants' was the past few years? Chess is a much more fun game when you're not stuck with just pawns.

LRtagger
06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I know, what's crazy is how much starting talent is just laying around waiting to sign a reasonalbe contract!

They do grow on trees, afterall!

We should have just kept all of the defensive starters from last season that we cut.

I guess we could always pick them back up since 99% of them are still unsigned :rolleyes:

powderaddict
06-05-2009, 09:31 AM
We should have just kept all of the defensive starters from last season that we cut.

I guess we could always pick them back up since 99% of them are still unsigned :rolleyes:

I know right?

Yet some seem to think that a DC can have an effective defense with bad talent.

Nolan is a step up, and has shown that he can have an effective defense. I'm expecting improvements this year, but I'm not expecting a top 10 defense, there are just too many holes on that side of the ball to fill.