PDA

View Full Version : Mistrial declared in Broncos linebacker DJ Williams' DUI trial

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2012, 03:35 PM
A mistake during jury selection has resulted in a mistrial in the DUI case against Denver Broncos linebacker Genos "DJ" Williams.

Defense attorney Harvey Steinberg motioned for mistrial this afternoon in Denver County Court, arguing that he should have been allowed to challenge three jurors during selection this morning but was allowed to strike only two.

The judge agreed. A new trial has been set for Aug. 15.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20673866/jury-seated-broncos-linebacker-dj-williams-dui-trial

Slick
05-21-2012, 03:36 PM
I can't believe this even went to trial. You either drove above the legal limit, or you didn't.

SR
05-21-2012, 04:25 PM
The Broncos need to get rid of DJ and cut their losses. His slightly better than average talent is not worth the amount of trouble he gets in.

MOtorboat
05-21-2012, 04:47 PM
I can't believe this even went to trial. You either drove above the legal limit, or you didn't.

When you can afford a lawyer...

Chef Zambini
05-21-2012, 07:18 PM
justice is served in direct correlation to the thickness of your wallet.

Chef Zambini
05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
I think we need DJ and should use him to cover tight ends.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Awesome, so his attorney gets a mistrial now only to postpone the trial for August - smack dab in the middle of training camp and the preseason. No worries, DJ doesn't need to have any continuity with his defensive teammates or his new DC... :rolleyes:

Seriously, can we just cut this dude and find someone else?

MOtorboat
05-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Awesome, so his attorney gets a mistrial now only to postpone the trial for August - smack dab in the middle of training camp and the preseason. No worries, DJ doesn't need to have any continuity with his defensive teammates or his new DC... :rolleyes:

He will miss all of one practice.

SR
05-21-2012, 08:55 PM

He's suspended for the first six games anyway so what good is training camp going to do for him when he can't play for a month and a half afterward?

HORSEPOWER 56
05-21-2012, 09:39 PM

You really think a jury trial (which this is) will only take one day? you have a lot more faith in the wheels of justice than I do...

He's suspended for the first six games anyway so what good is training camp going to do for him when he can't play for a month and a half afterward?

I have no doubt that he and Green will win their appeals. Supposedly, the sample handling was so poor that the lab might as well have brought them home and let their kids play with them before they tested them.

MOtorboat
05-21-2012, 09:44 PM
You really think a jury trial (which this is) will only take one day? you have a lot more faith in the wheels of justice than I do...

I have no doubt that he and Green will win their appeals. Supposedly, the sample handling was so poor that the lab might as well have brought them home and let their kids play with them before they tested them.

If it even comes to that, yes, it would likely take one day.

Not Hollywood.

NightTrainLayne
05-21-2012, 09:55 PM
If it even comes to that, yes, it would likely take one day.

Not Hollywood.

Yes. A DUI trial is a less than a day affair.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes. A DUI trial is a less than a day affair.

Are you speaking from experience ;):lol:

SR
05-22-2012, 05:15 AM

I don't know who Green is, but the fact of the matter is DJ has had a couple strikes already. I honestly don't care if he took his piss test at a Mervyn's, he shouldn't put himself in a position where there is any doubt. They said he provided a non human sample. Sounds outrageous, but my point still stands.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I don't know who Green is, but the fact of the matter is DJ has had a couple strikes already. I honestly don't care if he took his piss test at a Mervyn's, he shouldn't put himself in a position where there is any doubt. They said he provided a non human sample. Sounds outrageous, but my point still stands.

I was referring to Virgil Green, a Broncos TE who also tested positive along with McBean who was cut.

claymore
05-22-2012, 08:16 AM

Carol, you just pwned NTL like Manning did that reporter. High five to you!!!

SR
05-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I was referring to Virgil Green, a Broncos TE who also tested positive along with McBean who was cut.

Ah. I'm not too worried about him. DJ is the one that I'm tired of seeing get in trouble. I hope he gets cut.

Ravage!!!
05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
He's not going to get cut :laugh:

NightTrainLayne
05-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Yes.

But not the experience you might first think. While taking a Business Law course, we took a day to go observe a trial, which ended up being a DUI trial. . . not exactly business, but whatever.

We watched jury selection through to the verdict. Started at 8:00 am, and the verdict was read by 2:30pm.

I'm sure they're not all that quick, but I would guess most go pretty fast.

SR
05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
He's not going to get cut :laugh:

I know he's not, but one can hope.

Ravage!!!
05-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I know he's not, but one can hope.

Why? DJ has been nothing but a solid LB from the day he's been here. He's been one of the most reliable players on the Broncos roster, being able to fill every role he's been moved to. WHy would you hope for that player to be cut?

SR
05-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Why? DJ has been nothing but a solid LB from the day he's been here. He's been one of the most reliable players on the Broncos roster, being able to fill every role he's been moved to. WHy would you hope for that player to be cut?

I'm tired of him getting himself in to trouble. He's a good, flexible, no whining guy, but I don't like seeing players on my team in the news for bad shit. Maybe I'm being too hard on the guy.