PDA

View Full Version : Woodyard Adds Weight

WARHORSE
06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
ENGLEWOOD -- Wesley Woodyard had his moments as an undersized rookie linebacker for the Denver Broncos last year. As a bigger player, he expects to contribute even more in his second season in the league.

"I played last year at 218 pounds and right now I am 230," Woodyard said. "I worked on my lower body in the offseason to pick up some weight so I will be ready for everything because I added a few more pounds."

Woodyard wasn't bad when he carried less weight.
During five starts as a weak side linebacker, Woodyard recorded 50 tackles as Denver improved to 8-5 and got within reach of clinching a playoff berth.

Against the New York Jets he had 13 tackles, 11 of them solo, and forced a fumble by Brett Favre. He led the team with eight solo tackles and broke up a pass in the team's second meeting with Kansas City.

Woodyard said to expect more of the same with the added poundage.
"I feel the same," Woodyard said. "I feel like I can run around, fly around like I was able to do when I was lighter."

However, his added weight might rule out the possibility that he'll ever play safety, something he has wanted to do.

"No, we didn't talk about any of that, (with the coaches)," Woodyard said. "Of course, I would love to play safety right now, but we've strictly talked about working at linebacker."

Right now there are plenty of other matters on his plate to digest. What position in the linebacking corps is a better match for his skills?
"That's still to be determined. We still have the whole camp to go through," Woodyard said about the position search.

"The coaches are working on me at several positions so who knows what is going to happen."
After a year playing in a 4-3 scheme, what are his thoughts about the 3-4?

"We are just going through some different schemes on the defense," Woodyard said. "Right now, where I'm going to be out on the field is still up in the air. Right now it's just contributing on special teams like I did last year and basically having fun."

The offseason conditioning programs and upcoming training camp won't be without some personal delight. The Broncos brought in childhood companion and longtime teammate Braxton Kelley.

"Braxton and I played middle school ball and little league ball and it's been like we are brothers, wherever I go, he comes along with me," Woodyard said.

This guy is a machine and if we cant get him on the field it would be a shame. He reads and reacts better than any of the LBs we had last year.............including DJ.

218 or 230, the guy needs to be on the field.:coffee:

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Last year he was at 220 @ the combine. Bulked up to 230 or was listed @ that in the program.

But late in the year stated on one of the local "player" shows he was @212 at the time.

There is some debate if he can maintain that much weight over the grind of a long season.

Lets hope he can.

I think the remark about playing safety was interesting.

Sent via Blackberry

Rick
06-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Maybe I am just nuts but i am just not too concerned with the weight.

Would it be nice for him to be 230 - 240? Yes, it would be great but last year he played great at a supposed 212? So be it if he can get 10 tackles a game like he did in those 5 games last year then he can be 90 pounds for all I care.

D1g1tal j1m
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm a little concerned about the weight issue. He supposedly bulked up before the season but at the end of it was down past his college weight. That low weight will definitely speed up the wear and tear and lead to more injuries and fatigue (physical and mental).
Let's hope he learns to eat enough and rest enough during the season to maintain that weight as I think that with his speed at that weight he can be more of a difference maker on D.

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm a little concerned about the weight issue. He supposedly bulked up before the season but at the end of it was down past his college weight. That low weight will definitely speed up the wear and tear and lead to more injuries and fatigue (physical and mental).
Let's hope he learns to eat enough and rest enough during the season to maintain that weight as I think that with his speed at that weight he can be more of a difference maker on D.

Good post.. let me add while I am not an expert on the 3-4 LB slots, I just do not ever remember seeing a LB at less than 220.. now there may have been some but I did ot see them.. and if there were not, there is a good reason for it..

I also have to wonder if all those tackle numbers posted were as a LB or when he was playing safety when DJ got back..

I have liked this kid since I saw him at the combine the only thing that scared me then was his weight 220 as LB is real small to take the wear and tear.. they are not like DB that are not near/at the LOS and getting pounded every play by OLINE or RB that are as much as 130 pounds bigger..

Requiem / The Dagda
06-02-2009, 02:07 PM
(A) Lower body weight and mass will not be lost as easily.
(B) The article clearly states the 50 tackles were in his five starts at WILL.
(C) I hope this puts the, "He can play safety." BS to rest.
(D) Go Wesley! You have the right attitude to succeed.

Elevation inc
06-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Good post.. let me add while I am not an expert on the 3-4 LB slots, I just do not ever remember seeing a LB at less than 220.. now there may have been some but I did ot see them.. and if there were not, there is a good reason for it..

I also have to wonder if all those tackle numbers posted were as a LB or when he was playing safety when DJ got back..

I have liked this kid since I saw him at the combine the only thing that scared me then was his weight 220 as LB is real small to take the wear and tear.. they are not like DB that are not near/at the LOS and getting pounded every play by OLINE or RB that are as much as 130 pounds bigger..

DJ came back the last 2 games of the year, thats when woodyard moved to safety if i remember correctly, he started 4 or 5 at WLB and never had less than six tackles i think while playing there.

the dude can ball. i think he most likely will play back-up to DJ at jack and will play a possible full time nickel role as well......as much as i love to get him on the field i wanna see what dj can do at jack before i am ready to hand the reigns to woodyard.

woodyard is to small for SILB, but he is a good blitzer so he could get some looks at OLB as well when they mix packages up.

rest assured this staff knows he is good and he will get his playing time, and a chance to contribute heavily. I am also keen on lee robinson and braxton kelly for me they make-up a good young core with potential, factor in spencer larsen, and its looking like the makings of a very good LB core inside for the future....

Rick
06-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Weight is certainly a durability issue but it does not define a players ability to do what needs to be done.

There are plenty of 250lbs+ lbers out there that are scrubs and little Wesley at less that 220 last year was tearing it up.

If he finds a way to bring the ball carier down, does not get run over due to the less weight then I say who cares.

pounds are what a player weighs, nothing more. Skill is what a player has and what he should trully be measred by.

I bought in the weight thing to on the line saying we can only have guys that weight x amount but same argument can be made.

If the lesser weight guy can do it then who am I to fault it or knock him because of it.

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Weight is certainly a durability issue but it does not define a players ability to do what needs to be done.

There are plenty of 250lbs+ lbers out there that are scrubs and little Wesley at less that 220 last year was tearing it up.

If he finds a way to bring the ball carier down, does not get run over due to the less weight then I say who cares.

pounds are what a player weighs, nothing more. Skill is what a player has and what he should trully be measred by.

I bought in the weight thing to on the line saying we can only have guys that weight x amount but same argument can be made.

If the lesser weight guy can do it then who am I to fault it or knock him because of it.

no one has said that heart does not count but it can only do so much and if he is getting blocked out alot BECAUSE he does not have the strength to beat it heart means NADA..

As I said I like this kid from day one and am hoping that he will make the team and they will find a spot for him to play at even if it means being real creative..

I also found it interesting to here him say he was disappointed to being more or less ruled out at safety.. as contrary to some folks opinion he could make a hell of a strong safety for someone if not US.. I would hate to see him playing elsewhere but I like him as a Player and would rather have him playing somewhere than being on the bench for his NFL career..

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 02:57 PM
DJ came back the last 2 games of the year, thats when woodyard moved to safety if i remember correctly, he started 4 or 5 at WLB and never had less than six tackles i think while playing there.

the dude can ball. i think he most likely will play back-up to DJ at jack and will play a possible full time nickel role as well......as much as i love to get him on the field i wanna see what dj can do at jack before i am ready to hand the reigns to woodyard.

woodyard is to small for SILB, but he is a good blitzer so he could get some looks at OLB as well when they mix packages up.

rest assured this staff knows he is good and he will get his playing time, and a chance to contribute heavily. I am also keen on lee robinson and braxton kelly for me they make-up a good young core with potential, factor in spencer larsen, and its looking like the makings of a very good LB core inside for the future....

I like what I am seeing from Nolan etal.. lets hope he can find those Clydesdales for up front in the mix of rag tag guys we have..

And that is not a compliant as there was so little available to choose from this year.. I think we can bulk up some of those guys and get some quality time out of Powell and the other couple of NT scheduled to play there.. as long as we can keep them fresh at altitude and rotate 2-3 of them in and out I think we can do pretty good..

NOT great but good and that is a good place to start from and build on..

everyone expecting to have a all pro at each spot will be upset.. but it is afterall a team effort that will make or break this upcoming season..

Requiem / The Dagda
06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I also found it interesting to here him say he was disappointed to being more or less ruled out at safety.

He is hungry to play and would do whatever the team would want him to do so he could get on the field. Not surprising.

as contrary to some folks opinion he could make a hell of a strong safety for someone if not US

Contrary my rear. You really don't know what you are talking about. First off, the coaching staff is not interested in playing him there. That should tell you something. Secondly, the fact that he wasn't considered last year by a completely different coaching staff to play safety should reinforce the aforesaid.

Moreover the fact that they drafted two safeties. Woodyard excelled as a linebacker in college, and did well at it in the pros. Instead of looking at his weight and using that as an indicator (the lackthereof to be a consistent LB; thus pushing towards a switch) you should lok at how he plays the game and his skillset.

Wesley Woodyard is a linebacker, not a safety. In fact, he plays the linebacker position which involves the least amount of responsibility in regards to pass defense. That is for a good reason; he is an average player in pass coverage. Once again, lets focus on the players skillset in regards to where he will be projected to play rather than his lack of weight (measurables).

If Josh McDaniels and Mike Nolan thought he could have played strong stafey, they wouldn't have drafted two and he would have been given a shot to compete. Obviously, that is not the case (as he is a linebacker) so I don't see why you continue to think he can play safety at an NFL level when virtually no team considered that as an option for him throughout the entire draft process.

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
He is hungry to play and would do whatever the team would want him to do so he could get on the field. Not surprising.

Contrary my rear. You really don't know what you are talking about. First off, the coaching staff is not interested in playing him there. That should tell you something. Secondly, the fact that he wasn't considered last year by a completely different coaching staff to play safety should reinforce the aforesaid.

Moreover the fact that they drafted two safeties. Woodyard excelled as a linebacker in college, and did well at it in the pros. Instead of looking at his weight and using that as an indicator (the lackthereof to be a consistent LB; thus pushing towards a switch) you should lok at how he plays the game and his skillset.

Wesley Woodyard is a linebacker, not a safety. In fact, he plays the linebacker position which involves the least amount of responsibility in regards to pass defense. That is for a good reason; he is an average player in pass coverage. Once again, lets focus on the players skillset in regards to where he will be projected to play rather than his lack of weight (measurables).

If Josh McDaniels and Mike Nolan thought he could have played strong stafey, they wouldn't have drafted two and he would have been given a shot to compete. Obviously, that is not the case (as he is a linebacker) so I don't see why you continue to think he can play safety at an NFL level when virtually no team considered that as an option for him throughout the entire draft process.

As I said IF he is unable to maintain 225+ he would make someone a good safety if not for US someone and I'd rather see him playing there than setting on the bench forever in Den because he can't make weight..

so let end this back and forth pissing contest buy agreeing to disagree.

time will tell what happens with this kid.. I NOW have faith that we have the coaches to figure out what is best for the team..

nevcraw
06-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Not that I want to jump into this cat fight but didn't Woodyard play safety last year in aty least one game? Wouldn't you then say that he was considered at safety??

WARHORSE
06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
The weight issue with Woodyard has more to do with holding up at the P.O.A. and not being driven backwards by a RB as anything. Can he meet a RB in the hole and stop him on contact, or does he get driven back two yards dragging the guy to the ground?

When it comes to flying to the ball after a read and react situation, he is a very good player.

When it comes to making tackles, hes a player.

Its the rest of the package thats going to decide if he plays.

The added weight will help him at the LB position as long as it doesnt slow his play.

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
The weight issue with Woodyard has more to do with holding up at the P.O.A. and not being driven backwards by a RB as anything. Can he meet a RB in the hole and stop him on contact, or does he get driven back two yards dragging the guy to the ground?

When it comes to flying to the ball after a read and react situation, he is a very good player.

The added weight will help him at the LB position as long as it doesnt slow his play.

great post.. your correct at the POA at less than 230 he is gonna get hammered by lots of folks and might I add at least he could make that tackle unlike last years MLB..

and yes last year he was indeed played at SS for a few games because at the time he was to good to NOT be on the field.. Now it appears the new regime has drafted replacements for him in that regard.. and he sounded disappointed that he will not be allowed to try for it..

BroncoAV06
06-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Weight does not always equal strength. Its no surprise to see a rookie drop weight towrds the end of a year, different work load, longer season, etc.. I am sure he understands diet/exercise even better on top of what the teams does for him.

Never bad to hear someone excited to work hard and wanting to produce, can never have enough of those.

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Weight does not always equal strength. Its no surprise to see a rookie drop weight towrds the end of a year, different work load, longer season, etc.. I am sure he understands diet/exercise even better on top of what the teams does for him.

Never bad to hear someone excited to work hard and wanting to produce, can never have enough of those.

In the pro football world unless your a tub O-lard NT weight does indeed mean added strength.. and the ability to ward off blockers and tackle RB that are as large if not bigger than you..

Simple Jaded
06-02-2009, 10:03 PM
He starts every season @ 230lb's, the problem is keeping the weight.

He should be in a Tampa2 defense, imo.......

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 12:52 AM
He starts every season @ 230lb's, the problem is keeping the weight.

He should be in a Tampa2 defense, imo.......

considering he has only started one season so far :laugh:

He is a gamer lets see if they can find a home for him in DEN..

Simple Jaded
06-03-2009, 01:05 AM
considering he has only started one season so far :laugh:

He is a gamer lets see if they can find a home for him in DEN..

Same was true in College, though, trying to bulk up is nothing new to Woodyard.

Idk, he's a solid player, I guess I'm just not a huge fan of underdogs. I think his play last season was overrated by fans, those were just the kinds of plays the good teams expect from rookies, nothing spectacular.

Maybe he can find a starting role in Denver, but the 3-4 defense has come a long way since Tom Jackson was playing, most likely he'll just be a role player/STer when he could be more than that in a different defense.......

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 01:14 AM

Idk, he's a solid player, I guess I'm just not a huge fan of underdogs. I think his play last season was overrated by fans, those were just the kinds of plays the good teams expect from rookies, nothing spectacular.

Maybe he can find a starting role in Denver, but the 3-4 defense has come a long way since Tom Jackson was playing, most likely he'll just be a role player/STer when he could be more than that in a different defense.......

I tend to agree with you on this I do not see him keeping the weight, nor IMO is 230 a good weight for ILB's I think they need to be a tad bigger..

Lets hope he can find a niche as he is a gamer..

Elevation inc
06-03-2009, 02:10 AM

i agree in principle, but not entirely. As a jack linebacker in nolans scheme you get to utilize space to make plays, you dont have to worry about POA so much, for example. DJ sucks at shedding blocks he hates getting tied up because its a hinderance to him, its a big reason why he hated playing sam in the 4-3 even though he played it very well. Now Even with DJ's size it still didnt help him at the POA.....

Size is not as big a deal as some are making it out to be. Even if woodyard was 218 he could still play the WILB(Jack role) very effectively because the POA is not as strenous as say SILB. and the jack is given the space to roam and make plays. its the main reason they said DJ would be the centerpiece by using him there in a patrick willis role that nolan had in san fran.

Woodyard is a more fiery and emotional player than DJ, but Dj is more expirienced and should thrive exponentially at the jack role next year. Simply put, woodyard's role as a back-up to DJ at jack is set. Now at 230 if woodyard shows he can somehow magically shed blocks and cover better than he ever has he could find a niche at SILB where 230 is very helpful, but i dont see that from woodyard.

My guess is that he will be a special teams ace as always and will enter in some nickel packages with DJ Where DJ would slide to SILB for covarage purposes and Woodyard would take WILB. Woodyard is also a very god edge and gap blitzer, much better than DJ is so he could get some great 3rd down playing time in pass rush situations from inside and outside.

The great thing about woodyard is he is dirt cheap and still under contract for quite awhile, so while many want to rush him to the field, the best thing to do is play him for his strengths where he fits best and not try and force him into positions like SILB the way we constantly did with DJ. Woodyard will be a force in denver for sometime. i would imagine his partner in crime braxton kelly will make some noise in camp at SILB as well.

the end result with woodyard though is whether he is 218 or 230 he will still play very effectively next year if they play him to his strengths and his size wont make a big difference even if he loses weight during the year. his new 230 lb frame makes him a bit more tough and powerful to help develop his shed block ability, but its not the size thats a deciding factor for him being a starter next year its his skill set he can tackle, blitz and make plays, but he needs to work on shedding blocks and coverage. if he does that he has a chance at starting next to DJ.....

Elevation inc
06-03-2009, 02:26 AM

i truly belive his full-time starting role in denver will come when DJ is traded from denver in a few years. Woodyard could end up 218 lbs and still be a dominant jack LB in nolans scheme(where size even in a 3-4 isnt a neccesity), the guy is a playmaker...i dont think he is overated by fans in anyway. in fact if we didnt have DJ, woodyard would have been a 16 game starter last year and probally a canidate with mayo for defensive rookie of the year. his curse is simply being behind DJ....he is as good as DJ is....and his play dont the road will prove that.

He tackles great, blitzes well, is a vocal leader and he diagnoses and reacts very good, and he has a nose for the ball. I know you are kinda tired of the small puny players on defense we fielded for sometime, but woodyard is far and above much more talented than many of the pipsqueaks denver fielded at LB for sometime.....could explain your caution though, and i respect that.

When woodyard finally becomes good in coverage, and learns to shed blocks well to make himself more versatile, he could see time as a starter opposite DJ, but i dont see that from him. i see him being DJ's back-up and a role player for a while, then getting his shot when DJ is gone......

regardless though he is a great promising young LB even with his size, and there is no rush for him he is under contract for dirt cheap for 3 more years....lol

Requiem / The Dagda
06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Great posts Elevation, and awesome mock draft for next year!