PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Marshall has quick trip

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 02:58 AM
The top receiver returns to Florida for his rehab. His agent says the move isn't mostly about salary.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/02/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Brandon Marshall (Post file)As the Broncos restart their passing camp today at their Dove Valley headquarters, receiver Brandon Marshall will be in Orlando, Fla., where he will continue to rehabilitate after hip surgery.

Although Marshall communicated a desire for a new contract during a meeting with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels before moving his rehab to Orlando nearly two weeks ago, Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, said the move is more about medical trust than financial gain.

Marshall was third in the NFL with 104 receptions last season despite playing with a hip that he says was more damaged than was initially diagnosed.

"This young man has been continually looking to establish and build a relationship of trust and confidence with the organization," McGuire said. "There has been ongoing dialogue between myself, Brandon and the (Broncos) staff. It's unfortunate that so much has been made of one conversation.

"My disappointment is that last year Brandon fought through and played through a tough injury that went undiagnosed after several MRIs. So it's within our right to continue to get professional help in the rehab process. We feel this is the best course of action to make sure he is healthy and ready."

The Broncos declined comment. Marshall wound up undergoing hip surgery on March 31. Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, the Broncos' passing camp, which runs through June 10, is considered voluntary participation for the players. A mandatory minicamp will be held June 12-14. A player missing a mandatory offseason practice session would be subject to fines.

McGuire acknowledged concern about Marshall's long-term security. Marshall is in the final season of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.2 million this year. But instead of having unrestricted free agency waiting for him at the end of this season, NFL owners reopened the new collective bargaining agreement — a labor strategy that would make fourth-year players such as Marshall a restricted free agent after this season.

A restricted free agent tops out at one year and $2.792 million. The NFL top receivers make from $7 million to $10 million a year.

However, it appears the Broncos aren't ready to make a long-term commitment to Marshall because of concerns raised by his off-field problems. Marshall was suspended by the NFL for one game last season for violating its personal conduct policy and will be in court later this month in Atlanta, where he is facing misdemeanor battery charges.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12498848?source=rss

sounds like more jay/buss agent nonsense to me....

anton...
06-02-2009, 03:55 AM
sounds like more jay/buss agent nonsense to me....

i fail to follow...

:confused:

Hawgdriver
06-02-2009, 04:39 AM
i fail to follow...

you know, not the blind leading the blind, but close--the greedy leading the gullible.

I don't know if that's the case, but with a suspension hanging over his head and widespread media noise, now is not the time to maneuver for a contract.

Dirk
06-02-2009, 05:39 AM
I wonder if anyone has went up to BMarsh and told him...."you know, if you didn't act a fool off the field, you would probably be making Anquan money without even having to negotiate for it. So wake up!"

anton...
06-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I wonder if anyone has went up to BMarsh and told him...."you know, if you didn't act a fool off the field, you would probably be making Anquan money without even having to negotiate for it. So wake up!"

and anquan is at this very moment publicly wanting a new contract...

perhaps bmarsh wants a little more than anquans current deal...

at the same time, its bmarshes last year, so this is the only time he has a chance of making a move for a new deal...

if he had a few years left on the deal, then i would be more concerned...

bmarsh will play and turn up...

he just wants to be taken seriously...

and perhaps one day, he will start taking himself seriously...

Buff
06-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Anquan probably wasn't the best choice for your hypothetical considering he just fired his agent because he's unhappy with his deal. But your point is valid.

WARHORSE
06-02-2009, 10:39 PM
This is not what I would call good news.

slim
06-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Meh, can't risk big money on this guy....just can't do it without protection in the contract.

If he is willing to allow a clause re: his off-field issues, then I would be happy to sign him. Otherwise, I would tell him to keep walkin'.

frauschieze
06-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Marshall is in the final season of a four-year contract that will pay him $2.2 million this year. But instead of having unrestricted free agency waiting for him at the end of this season, NFL owners reopened the new collective bargaining agreement — a labor strategy that would make fourth-year players such as Marshall a restricted free agent after this season.

A restricted free agent tops out at one year and $2.792 million. The NFL top receivers make from $7 million to $10 million a year.

Hmmm.....there's something that I hadn't considered in Marshall's request. I wonder how incentives would work or if there would even be any incentives in his contract if this were to happen. Depending on how exactly this works (and provided he plays up to previous levels and stays out of trouble), Marshall gets screwed over big time.

All I can hope at this point, is that the situation does not devolve into another McJaygate. I am tired of the offseason drama.

Lonestar
06-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Hmmm.....there's something that I hadn't considered in Marshall's request. I wonder how incentives would work or if there would even be any incentives in his contract if this were to happen. Depending on how exactly this works (and provided he plays up to previous levels and stays out of trouble), Marshall gets screwed over big time.

All I can hope at this point, is that the situation does not devolve into another McJaygate. I am tired of the offseason drama.

but it keeps things going doesn't it.. it only feels like it was off season it went by much faster than previous years IMO..:laugh:

weazel
06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
later Marshall, don't let the TV stand door hit you in the ass.