PDA

View Full Version : 360 kicks off E3 2009

Shazam!
06-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Microsoft started the press conferences today, revealing a ton of new games and products for the XBox 360 at the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) 2009 in LA. Here's a summary of Microsoft's presentation. I will post Sony and Nintendo's during the week as they come.

Multi-platform-

The Beatles Rock Band (presented by Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr)

Tony Hawk Ride (announced)

Brutal Legend

Assassin's Creed 2 (available 11/09)

Lost Planet 2

Wolfenstein (available 8/2009)

Call of Duty- Modern Warfare 2 (playable demo)

Batman- Arkham Asylum (available 9/2009)

Crysis 2 (announced)

Final Fantasy XIII (playable demo running on Xbox 360)

Metal Gear Solid- Rising (announced/2010)

360 Exclusives-

CoD-MW2 exclusive maps

Gears of War 2 expansion, new maps, and campaign levels

Splinter Cell- Conviction (playable demo/2010)

Forza Motorsports 3 (announced, 10/09)

Left 4 Dead 2 (announced)

Crackdown 2 (announced)

Halo 3- ODST (available 9/09)

Halo- Reach (announced, prequel to Halo trilogy, demo included with ODST)

Alan Wake (presented with playable demo, 2010)

Mass Effect 2 (demo)

XBox 'Natal' motion system without a controller, similar to Eyetoy. Even detects various speeds and measures 'impacts'.

Shadow Complex- XBox LIVE game

Facebook and Twitter on LIVE.

Improved Netflix and streaming movies in HD 1080.

LIVE Party using Avatars (uggh)

TV on LIVE

Shazam!
06-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Summary of games from Sony's presser for the PS3:

Multi-platform-

Madden X

Batman- Arkham Asylum (available 9/2009)

Call of Duty- Modern Warfare 2

Brutal Legend

Prototype (available 6/8)

Ghostbusters

Assassin's Creed 2 (11/09)

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (announced, Ninja Gaiden 2 available for 360)

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3 demo)

Exclusives-

Uncharted 2- Among Thieves

White Knight Chronicles

Agent (announced, Rockstar games)

Final Fantasy XIV (announced, MMORPG, may be coming to 360)

The Last Guardian (announced, developed by Team Ico, ala Shadow of the Colossus)

Gran Turismo 5 (announced)

MAG (announced with demo)

God of War 3 (announced, 3/2010)

50 PS1 classics coming for download (including Final Fantasy VII)

Playstation Motion Controller (announced, an upgraded Eyetoy, similar to Microsoft's unveiled unit)

Little Big Planet expansions

Mod Nation Racers, the next game in the "Play. Create. Share." line, which now extends beyond just LBP

(Lots of PSP news, the new PSP GO! featuring Resident Evil Portable, Metal Gear Solid- Peace Walker, and Gran Turismo Portable. PSP GO! available coming 10/09)

Shazam!
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Nintendo's E3 presser-

Lots of DS games, downloads and DSi upgrades. The DS was the star of the presser.

Dead Space- Extraction (Dead Space available for PS3 and 360)

Exclusives-

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Wii Fit Plus

Wii Motion Play (Nunchuk enhancement)

Wii Vitality Sensor (measures blood pressure, heart rate, etc.)

Super Mario Galaxy 2

The Conduit 2

Resident Evil- Darkside Chronicles

Metroid Other M

Nintendo's E3 Conference easily paled in comparison to Sony's and Micrsoft's as far as the Wii is concerned, and focused a lot on the DS.

ikillz0mbies
06-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for those updates! I've been following the articles on IGN.com and I'm looking forward to a lot of these games. As a PS3 gamer, I can't wait for Assassin's Creed 2, God of War 3, and Uncharted 2. But I will admit that Microsoft and XBox have stolen the show so far by announcing 2 of the biggest social networking sites to be made available through the 360, and of course Halo 3 and Left 4 Dead 2.

I look forward to more updates.

Shazam!
06-03-2009, 12:31 AM
A new Halo game that nobody knew about was a big shock. I think after many months of speculation, the HUGE announcement of the Metal Gear Solid franchise finally on 360 was big news and an actual playable, extremely impressive Alan Wake clinched it for MS. True HD movies downloaded right to your 360 is pretty cool too and the networking, but I have zero interest there.

Sony dropped some bombs too, with FFXIV MMO and Last Guardian, with the other exclusives we all knew were coming.

Both Sony and MS motion systems seem capable. I just don't want them going head first too strong into turning out all the shovelware kiddie games like the Wii has ad nauseum, i.e.- crap.

I think Nintendo's conference was an absolute disaster. They kept patting themselves on the back with stats, and while the DSi has an incredible install base, they should've presented more for the Wii and held two different pressers. With 360 exceeding over 30 million in consoles and Sony continuing their slow but steady plod forward, they may not be on top for too long, especially if they abandon the people who got them to where they are today- the hardcore gamers. They offer too few premier titles with the exception of a pathetic few on Wii, and not a single one that Sony or MS announced are available for Wii. Even their sports games are inferior. If they get too fat and lazy like EA, it could spell their doom.

ikillz0mbies
06-03-2009, 12:43 AM
A new Halo game that nobody knew about was a big shock. I think after many months of speculation, the HUGE announcement of the Metal Gear Solid franchise finally on 360 was big news and an actual playable, extremely impressive Alan Wake clinched it for MS. True HD movies downloaded right to your 360 is pretty cool too and the networking, but I have zero interest there.

Sony dropped some bombs too, with FFXIV MMO and Last Guardian, with the other exclusives we all knew were coming.

Both Sony and MS motion systems seem capable. I just don't want them going head first too strong into turning out all the shovelware kiddie games like the Wii has ad nauseum, i.e.- crap.

I think Nintendo's conference was an absolute disaster. They kept patting themselves on the back with stats, and while the DSi has an incredible install base, they should've presented more for the Wii and held two different pressers. With 360 exceeding over 30 million in consoles and Sony continuing their slow but steady plod forward, they may not be on top for too long, especially if they abandon the people who got them to where they are today- the hardcore gamers. They offer too few premier titles with the exception of a pathetic few on Wii, and not a single one that Sony or MS announced are available for Wii. If they get too fat and lazy like EA, it could spell their doom.

MGS to the 360 and Alan Wake are definitely HUGE for Microsoft.

Final Fantasy will always be a hit with all the RPG gamers out there, although I'm not really one of those gamers.

And I absolutely agree with your viewpoint with Nintendo. With what Microsoft has announced and Sony right behind them, Nintendo is becoming a steady 3rd really fast. They have announced nothing spectacular other than the RE Darkside Chronicles and the Super Mario Games. The thing is with Nintendo, they focus too much marketability on the DS rather than the Wii. IMO, when it comes to handheld consoles, Nintendo dominates. They need to focus more on getting games that are exclusive to their system to be a success.

BTW, where are you watching the footage of the pressers?

Shazam!
06-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Too many sites to List!

These summaries are from the blogs of the Conferences.

I may have left a couple of things out, but these are all the major games thus far, and I've updated things gradually as they broke that I missed.

The Wii moves hardware but it doesn't have too much in the software department. It almost seems like they neglected it too much and it could be a mistake by giving their supporters the cold shoulder. After playing all three machines extensively, 360 and PS3 blow the Wii away, it isn;t even a contest.

Shazam!
06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I posted most of the pertinent info from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. I would've liked to do all the pressers from developers like EA, Activision and Ubisoft, but it'd take me too long. I just post the most relevant announcements as I hear/read them.

Some more E3 Updates-

Halo- Reach has been confirmed to be a FPS and not a RTS ala Halo Wars... that was a no brainer to me.

From Square-

Front Mission- Evolved is in development for PS3, 360 and PC. The series will go away from it's RTS roots and be a 3rd person action game.

Square is considering "All options" for Final Fantasy XIV (MMORPG) and may be available for 360 as well as PS3 and PC. This is believed to be because FFXI still has over 2 million subscribers on 360.

From Konami-

Metal Gear Solid Rising is a stealth action game in a traditional MGS mold with players taking the role of Raiden instead of Snake. Hasn't been mentioned if Snake will even appear in the game yet. Release date is set for 2010 for PS3 and the franchise's first appearance on 360.

Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid series) has taken the reigns of the Castlevania franchise. Kojima's team is currently developing Castlevania- Lord of Shadows for PS3 and 360. Release date is to be 2nd Qtr 2010.

The Silent Hill series is being developed for the Wii with a 2010 release.

Nintendo is still the biggest loser here. They're making a new Zelda for DS and not one for the Wii. N is driving away a large core of their fans and I don't think it's good by neglecting the Wii with first party titles. This could bite them in the ass.

NameUsedBefore
06-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Dammit, I forgot the Ico games were on Playstation.

I was really surprised to see Left4Dead-2... I mean, Left4Dead is not even a year old yet! I was hoping for the final episode of Half-Life to tie up the series.

Looks like they've officially put a hatchet in the Splinter Cell series for me. If I wanted a Jason Bourne game I'd go get the Bourne game... yeesh.

Beyond that the Batman game looks good and I was surprised to see Alan Wake was still even in production.

No new Diablo 3 info yet, unfortunately.

Shazam!
06-03-2009, 11:50 PM
I was pretty impressed with SC-C. The tag and mark thing, if it works looks awesome. It's still a stealth game.

The Bourne Conspiracy game was awful IMO.

Shazam!
06-04-2009, 08:47 PM
E3 2009: 360 to Stick Around Until 2015
Microsoft's Shane Kim suggests a 10 year life cycle for console, E3 win.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
From IGN

June 4, 2009 - The Xbox 360's recently unveiled motion control technology will help extend the console's life span into 2015, according to Microsoft executive Shane Kim.

Speaking frankly about the company's E3 showing in an interview with Venturebeat (thanks, videogaming24/7), Kim said 'We firmly believe that the Xbox 360 has a life cycle through 2015 (10 years after the launch). Project Natal is a great innovation. It will work with every Xbox 360 sold. It's not about pushing more pixels on the screen. It's about how to break down barriers that stop people from playing games.'

So impressive was Natal's debut that Kim believes it gave Microsoft the upper hand against its traditional rivals Sony and Nintendo. 'I think we won,' said Kim when asked how he rated the three company's E3 conferences. 'It's not just me saying that. It's pretty universal. We had something very special yesterday, starting with the games portfolio. We had a lot of content for a normal E3 briefing. But Project Natal doesn't come along every year, and it is very difficult to match.'

Kim also went on to reveal the origin of Natal's name, saying 'Natal is a city in Brazil, which is where one of our key development team members if from. Natal also means birth. We thought it was appropriate for what we are doing. This is the birth of the next-generation of home entertainment.'

MasterShake
06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
From IGN

June 4, 2009 - The Xbox 360's recently unveiled motion control technology will help extend the console's life span into 2015, according to Microsoft executive Shane Kim.

Speaking frankly about the company's E3 showing in an interview with Venturebeat (thanks, videogaming24/7), Kim said 'We firmly believe that the Xbox 360 has a life cycle through 2015 (10 years after the launch). Project Natal is a great innovation. It will work with every Xbox 360 sold. It's not about pushing more pixels on the screen. It's about how to break down barriers that stop people from playing games.'

So impressive was Natal's debut that Kim believes it gave Microsoft the upper hand against its traditional rivals Sony and Nintendo. 'I think we won,' said Kim when asked how he rated the three company's E3 conferences. 'It's not just me saying that. It's pretty universal. We had something very special yesterday, starting with the games portfolio. We had a lot of content for a normal E3 briefing. But Project Natal doesn't come along every year, and it is very difficult to match.'

Kim also went on to reveal the origin of Natal's name, saying 'Natal is a city in Brazil, which is where one of our key development team members if from. Natal also means birth. We thought it was appropriate for what we are doing. This is the birth of the next-generation of home entertainment.'

The Natal Demo video on the Xbox Live Spotlight section is really neat. They have some girl playing a breakout style 3-d game that perfectly mimics her body.

honz
06-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Dammit, I forgot the Ico games were on Playstation.

I was really surprised to see Left4Dead-2... I mean, Left4Dead is not even a year old yet! I was hoping for the final episode of Half-Life to tie up the series.

Looks like they've officially put a hatchet in the Splinter Cell series for me. If I wanted a Jason Bourne game I'd go get the Bourne game... yeesh.

Beyond that the Batman game looks good and I was surprised to see Alan Wake was still even in production.

No new Diablo 3 info yet, unfortunately.
I think the new Splinter Cell looks sweet. They had to make some changes to it...the series had gotten pretty stale IMO.

honz
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
From IGN

Project Natal has the potential to bring about some really neat things. I just hope that not everyone starts making games that use motion control...a good old controller is just fine for most games. If everyone wanted motion control they would just buy a Wii. Anyway, it's cool that the 360 should be around for a while. It probably saves everyone money in the long run.

On another note, my favorite games (or games that intrigue me, at least) that have been shown off at E3 are Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Assassin's Creed 2 (totally redone mission system...no more doing the same boring missions 35 times), Alan Wake (although the gameplay demo didn't get me as excited as I thought it would), and Splinter Cell.

Also, I thought Nintendo got bitch slapped by Sony and Microsoft as far as the conferences go. Sony and MS both had some jaw dropping stuff while Nintendo had 2 new Mario games...not that they didn't look cool, but they had nothing on the new motion control stuff.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I hope something cooler comes out by 2015; I'm sick of the 360 and PS3 stuff. This is lame. Video games are getting like computers. I want somethin' ballin'.

Shazam!
06-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Also, I thought Nintendo got bitch slapped by Sony and Microsoft as far as the conferences go. Sony and MS both had some jaw dropping stuff while Nintendo had 2 new Mario games...not that they didn't look cool, but they had nothing on the new motion control stuff.

The Big N got toally SMOKED by Sony and MS to the point that it is sad. They faield epicly. I know that the DS is a huge asset to them but I felt they are completely abandoning their hardcore gamer home console base. Another problem is that too many games for PS3/360 can't be done on the Wii. Like Fight Night 4, which should be an instant hit if they didn't change too much with the controls and improved the career mode... and I don't wanna hear about Punch Out.

If I was a Nintendo gamer, I'd be pissed.

MS owned the show. Sony had a great presser too but there were so many 360 announcements besides that Natal system. A new Halo that was a complete surprise, confirmation that Wake was't just vaporware, a few unexpected sequels, the arrival of Metal Gear and the networking on LIVE and HD movies sealed it. All the exclusives surprised me. It's really an exciting time to be a 360 gamer, but I just hope they don't go all in to the motion gimmick stuff like Nintendo did and change completely what makes the console great as it is.

ikillz0mbies
06-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Strictly being a PS3 gamer, just thought I'd note that Sony has announced a PS3 slim (following in PS2's footsteps) and a motion sensor control similar to the Project Natal. I read this 2 days ago but this wasn't mentioned here.

Oh wait, the Sony motion control was already on here :D.

ikillz0mbies
06-05-2009, 01:15 AM
The Big N got toally SMOKED by Sony and MS to the point that it is sad. They faield epicly. I know that the DS is a huge asset to them but I felt they are completely abandoning their hardcore gamer home console base. Another problem is that too many games for PS3/360 can't be done on the Wii. Like Fight Night 4, which should be an instant hit if they didn't change too much with the controls and improved the career mode... and I don't wanna hear about Punch Out.

If I was a Nintendo gamer, I'd be pissed.

MS owned the show. Sony had a great presser too but there were so many 360 announcements besides that Natal system. A new Halo that was a complete surprise, confirmation that Wake was't just vaporware, a few unexpected sequels, the arrival of Metal Gear and the networking on LIVE and HD movies sealed it. All the exclusives surprised me. It's really an exciting time to be a 360 gamer, but I just hope they don't go all in to the motion gimmick stuff like Nintendo did and change completely what makes the console great as it is.

Maybe Nintendo went into E3 feeling VERY confident in the Wii to the point where they don't have to make any big announcements, thus the major focus on the DS.

Shazam!
06-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Maybe Nintendo went into E3 feeling VERY confident in the Wii to the point where they don't have to make any big announcements, thus the major focus on the DS.

N is slowly committing suicide with the Wii by catering only to kids, girls and women.

Strictly being a PS3 gamer, just thought I'd note that Sony has announced a PS3 slim (following in PS2's footsteps) and a motion sensor control similar to the Project Natal. I read this 2 days ago but this wasn't mentioned here.

Oh wait, the Sony motion control was already on here :D.

Do you have a Link for a slim PS3? I haven't read anything about that. If the ydo have a slim PS3 and a price cut I'll grab one so it interests me.

With all this new hardware and cool new games coming out like MS and Sony's motion gigs, I'm just amazed how far gaming has come, seeing this new tech and still having and playing occassionally a few retro consoles I owned when they were the big deal back in the day. We had Operation Wolf and Contra, now we have CoD. We had Phantasy Star and now we have Mass Effect.

CAN'T WAIT for Fight Night 4. I wish they had Larry Holmes in it though.

MasterShake
06-05-2009, 09:37 AM
This is pretty crazy if they can really do all this stuff:

oACt9R9z37U

Shazam!
06-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I don't like the idea of waving my arms like an idiot just to go through the 360 dashboard though. Something are better left for a controller.

Thnikkaman
06-05-2009, 09:55 AM
N is slowly committing suicide with the Wii by catering only to kids, girls and women.

Do you have a Link for a slim PS3? I haven't read anything about that. If the ydo have a slim PS3 and a price cut I'll grab one so it interests me.

With all this new hardware and cool new games coming out like MS and Sony's motion gigs, I'm just amazed how far gaming has come, seeing this new tech and still having and playing occassionally a few retro consoles I owned when they were the big deal back in the day. We had Operation Wolf and Contra, now we have CoD. We had Phantasy Star and now we have Mass Effect.

At risk of sounding like a fan boy (I'm not, I've been pining for a PS3 or a 360 for sometime now) N is getting some things right. They are coming out with an accessory that will add sensitivity and position location of the wiimote that games like Tiger Woods will take advantage of.

I am excited about a new Metroid title as well, but if it wasn't for Rock Band, I wouldn't be playing my wii.

Thnikkaman
06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't like the idea of waving my arms like an idiot just to go through the 360 dashboard though. Something are better left for a controller.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2009/20090605.jpg

ikillz0mbies
06-05-2009, 03:26 PM

I actually saw it in one of IGN.com's Daily Fix video. I think it was from Tuesday or Wednesday. Let me go look and post a link on here.

ikillz0mbies
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
On the PS3 slim, I couldn't find the video on IGN but I'm sure it's there as that is where I first found out about it. But I'm looking around online and it is confirmed. The only thing is that it is not going to be at E3.

MasterShake
06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
At risk of sounding like a fan boy (I'm not, I've been pining for a PS3 or a 360 for sometime now) N is getting some things right. They are coming out with an accessory that will add sensitivity and position location of the wiimote that games like Tiger Woods will take advantage of.

I am excited about a new Metroid title as well, but if it wasn't for Rock Band, I wouldn't be playing my wii.

Well I am a fanboy. As long as Nintendo produces Mario and Zelda games they have my money. I almost prefer them on the DS to be honest.

Shazam!
06-05-2009, 05:29 PM
On the PS3 slim, I couldn't find the video on IGN but I'm sure it's there as that is where I first found out about it. But I'm looking around online and it is confirmed. The only thing is that it is not going to be at E3.

As far as I know that was just a heated rumor on IGN and Gamespot. I don't think it was confirmed. I Googled it too and all I found was "PS3 slim confirmed?" and rumors like that.

ikillz0mbies
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Hmm....I'll have to keep looking...

ikillz0mbies
06-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Well I found the video I saw it in, but alas, it is just a rumor. It was from May 28th. Sorry. But here is the link anyway. It is IGN's Daily Fix with the very lovely Jessica Chobot.

http://video.ign.com/dor/articles/965543/ign-daily-fix-/videos/thefix_spc_052809.html

NameUsedBefore
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM

Actually they're making a lot of buck. Nevermind their Gameboy sales which are consistently through the roof. I own a Wii and am not really a fan, but I hook it up for my nephew often and he likes it a lot; I can see a lot of parents doing this for their kids. That's a fairly large market that the Xbox/PS3 just don't really cater to all that much.

ikillz0mbies
06-05-2009, 11:24 PM
There is no doubt that the Wii is more of a "family-oriented" system. But E3 should have been their chance to bring out the big guns, which they failed to do. It was too much of the DS this year. Microsoft and Sony made huge strides at their pressers kicking Nintendo to the curb. But we'll see how it turns out for the big N. I really doubt Mario alone can help them keep up with the other two.

Shazam!
06-06-2009, 12:38 AM
There is no doubt that the Wii is more of a "family-oriented" system. But E3 should have been their chance to bring out the big guns, which they failed to do. It was too much of the DS this year. Microsoft and Sony made huge strides at their pressers kicking Nintendo to the curb. But we'll see how it turns out for the big N. I really doubt Mario alone can help them keep up with the other two.

Actually they're making a lot of buck. Nevermind their Gameboy sales which are consistently through the roof. I own a Wii and am not really a fan, but I hook it up for my nephew often and he likes it a lot; I can see a lot of parents doing this for their kids. That's a fairly large market that the Xbox/PS3 just don't really cater to all that much.

This isn't about money it's about who they're catering to and who they're dissing. They're slowly becoming like EA. I know the DS makes $$$$ massively, but they've forgotten who've got them to where they are in the home market. I also understand that PS3 and 360 have a lot of different genres and shooters (especially 360) and cater more to adults, but there is an assortment of family oriented games. Viva Pinata is a great family game and it is friggin' hilarious fun, even I liked them. Banjo Kazzoie, Sonic games, Lego... these are right off the top of my head here for the 360, and Sony has a few too.

Also, Wii has the lowest game sales attachment rate of the three followed by Sony. MS tops that list I think because the library of games is already massive, that it's original launch and earlier games that are still really good (like CoD2 or GRAW for example) can be had for $10 or less at outlets like Gamestop. Gears and Mass Effect are $20. Sony is getting their platinum hits going, so they'll be going in that manner too.

N will always have the cash on hand, but if they want to stay on top, they don't want to sever the people who got them to where they are. For the hardcore gamer they need to do more. Eventually those will jump ship when a 360 can be had for $200 or less and PS3 gets another price drop. Just look at the multi-platofrm titles coming out, some cannot even be developed for the Wii's lesser hardware. They need to stop with the cooking and cutie sims and crap like that and focus a bit more on games like Madworld to keep their core that built them.

Nintendo was dethroned once before for moving in this same direction. It can happen again.

ikillz0mbies
06-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Let's hope that Nintendo doesn't turn the Wii into the Gamecube...ugh....

Shazam!
06-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Gamecube didn't even beat the XBox in sales, and N64 despite a few great games, lagged behind the PS1. They also fugged their base up by lowering the price so quickly and screwed over their launch customers.

I don't know... I'm just not a Super Mario guy.

ikillz0mbies
06-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Smash Bros. will always be a favorite.

Thnikkaman
06-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Shazam! they aren't cutting off the arm that got them there, they are still catering to it. The people that got Nintendo to where they are is kids. I remember when Mortal Kombat came out it sucked on the SNES because they took out all the gore. Sure the SNES had killer instinct and Street Figher, but it was always "How much of the gore will actually be in the game". The main corpus of Nintendo games have always been focused towards kids with the occasional adult oriented title.

MasterShake
06-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Shazam! they aren't cutting off the arm that got them there, they are still catering to it. The people that got Nintendo to where they are is kids. I remember when Mortal Kombat came out it sucked on the SNES because they took out all the gore. Sure the SNES had killer instinct and Street Figher, but it was always "How much of the gore will actually be in the game". The main corpus of Nintendo games have always been focused towards kids with the occasional adult oriented title.

I love Nintendo, but have not/will not get a Wii. The only thing I would play are the classic downloads, and I have all the NES/SNES/N64 games on Emulators that I need so its pointless. I have borrowed my friends to play Mario Galaxy and Zelda and Metroid, and will borrow it again for New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Punch-out is pretty sweet too!

With the DS, Nintendo should realize that many people like me like the old-school appeal of platformers (2-D Sidescrollers, give me Mario World over Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy any day). I love my DS more than my 360 sometimes. It has great Mario, Zelda, and Castlevania games on it that remind me that you don't need to wave your arms around like an idiot to have fun with a game.

Its a neat novelty, but thats it. Just like every game should not use the Guitar Hero Controller, I hope Nintendo and Xbox realize that Wii-motion and Project Natal are tools, not the future of the systems. Some people like me just want to sit and concentrate on the game with a controller in my hand. If I REALLY wanted to play dodgeball, I'd go outside. On the other hand, if Project Natal can finally produce a Star Wars game where you use your body to use a lightsaber and fight people I'd be all over it. When looking for the next big thing, I hope these companies don't forget that sometimes the more simple things are the more fun they are.

Shazam!
06-06-2009, 12:54 PM

There are entire generations of people who grew up supporting Nintendo from when the NES was new, similar to thousands of Playstation owners who showed brand loyalty over the years from the original PS. These N fans don't want to play cooking Sims or cutesy games. These are the people they are cutting off.

Look what happened to the loyalty people showed Sega. Genesis owners bought a Saturn and got ****ed. Some bought a Dreamcast and got ****ed again.

I support the 360 now because it fits my tastes.

On the other hand, if Project Natal can finally produce a Star Wars game where you use your body to use a lightsaber and fight people I'd be all over it.

They made a game like this for the Wii, and it sucked.

MasterShake
06-06-2009, 01:38 PM
They made a game like this for the Wii, and it sucked.

Yeah, but that game was not true motion control and neither is the Wii. Natal tracks your whole body so that would be pretty neat if they could pull it off.

LordTrychon
06-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah, but that game was not true motion control and neither is the Wii. Natal tracks your whole body so that would be pretty neat if they could pull it off.

Keep in mind that there would be no dismemberment.... even though it was in the older games such as Jedi Academy... it didn't used to give an automatic 'M' rating for it either. That's why there were so many complaints about lightsabers in TFU just being 'glowing bats'.

MasterShake
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Keep in mind that there would be no dismemberment.... even though it was in the older games such as Jedi Academy... it didn't used to give an automatic 'M' rating for it either. That's why there were so many complaints about lightsabers in TFU just being 'glowing bats'.

I think he was referring to the Clone Wars title on the Wii that focused heavily on lightsaber controls (based on the CGI movie and Cartoon). The Force Unleashed was pretty good. I still pick that up from time to time to play as Darth Maul.

BroncoAV06
06-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Very interesting thoughts about the systems. I was one who had a Sega, then an N64, then Dreamcast, never got into Nintendo much. The Wii does not really appeal to me all that much outside of golf!

One thing I do like is how more games are crossing systems. Sure its nice to be specific to a system to some fans but if its a good game let em all have it!

I don't see the Wii being the Gamecube, it might fall back because of the lack of adult content but the kids sure love the darn things and it gets some adults playing as well who own no systems.

Shazam!
06-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Very interesting thoughts about the systems. I was one who had a Sega, then an N64, then Dreamcast, never got into Nintendo much. The Wii does not really appeal to me all that much outside of golf!

One thing I do like is how more games are crossing systems. Sure its nice to be specific to a system to some fans but if its a good game let em all have it!

I don't see the Wii being the Gamecube, it might fall back because of the lack of adult content but the kids sure love the darn things and it gets some adults playing as well who own no systems.

I had when they were new, an Atari 2600, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, Turbografx 16, Sega Genesis, Playstation to the currents. I still have a Master System and a Turbografx with almost 20 games I fire up every now and again, and a Genesis.

I was never into the Mario games, probably why I never owned a Nintendo except for a brief period I had a Gamecube (got it for $25 when it was still a commodity) and I borrowed a SNES from my bro just to play Street Fighter 2 in the very early 90's so I could kick his ass. The only Mario I played was Super Mario Bros when it was packed in the NES and in the arcade cabinets. I don't really enjoy platformers that I think are silly and cartoony like Mario and Sonic. I preferred more action games and the turn-based RPGs like Phantasy Star to the mcombat of Zelda. I guess that came from my days of Dungeons and Dragons. That's why I never had a Nintendo.

Poet
06-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Shazam, you are the video game guy round these parts.

Talk to me about a Final Fantasy game on the 360, please.

Shazam!
06-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Shazam, you are the video game guy round these parts.

Talk to me about a Final Fantasy game on the 360, please.

I don't know about that K but thank you for that compliment.

FFXIII is coming to the 360 (announced in 2008) and there was a trailer at E3 running on the 360 and is expected in 2010. Here's the E3 extended trailer-

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14266574/final-fantasy-xiii/videos/ffxiii_trl_adventchildren_52109.html

FFXIV is an MMORPG that Sony announced as exclusive but at Square's E3 presser, they said they're exploring 'all avenues' for it's release, not ruling out it coming to 360 which just makes sense. FFXI still has 2 million+ subscribers on 360, so it makes sense.

Shazam!
06-07-2009, 10:55 AM
FFXI (MMORPG) is available now for 360.

Lost Odyssey is a traditional RPG developed by Mistwalker, a studio owned by the creator of Final Fantasy. Beautiful graphics, memorable characters, turn-based combat (ala FF7-X) all in an epic world. The game is huge spanning 4 discs. Highly recommended if FF is your game.

CrazyHorse
06-10-2009, 02:09 AM
I want more Wii games...
I am disappointed.
Hmm..
Red Steel 2
The Conduit 1&2
Wii Sports Resort
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That's all I have to look forward to.

MasterShake
06-10-2009, 08:37 AM
FFXI (MMORPG) is available now for 360.

Lost Odyssey is a traditional RPG developed by Mistwalker, a studio owned by the creator of Final Fantasy. Beautiful graphics, memorable characters, turn-based combat (ala FF7-X) all in an epic world. The game is huge spanning 4 discs. Highly recommended if FF is your game.

I love Lost Odyssey. I borrowed it from friend and am just starting Disc 4. it reminds of of FF VIII the most, Sed even has an Axe gun!

Final Fantasy XI was the only MMORPG I ever played and I was addicted to that damn thing. I had like a level 70 Paladin but good god you just sat around waiting for a group for 3 hours, then it was a minimum 3 hours before you would level up on a grind. Not enough action.

Shazam!
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I want more Wii games...
I am disappointed.
Hmm..
Red Steel 2
The Conduit 1&2
Wii Sports Resort
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That's all I have to look forward to.

N got too fat and made a boatload of profits, now they're focusing on their next biggest profit, the DSi. At least it seems this way. With Sony and MS committed to having a lifespan until 2015 for their consoles, I don't see the Wii lasting that long.

It's all a business anyway to them and what will make the most money.

Thnikkaman
06-10-2009, 09:50 AM
(clip)

It's all a business anyway to them and what will make the most money.

And Microsoft and Sony aren't doing this? :confused:

Shazam!
06-10-2009, 09:57 AM
I meant all of them, but to me N clearly has shown a neglect to a large base of their supporters and their customers.

I think Sony has clearly made some mistakes (as did MS) with the PS3, but they've supported their PS2 for so long without abandoning it. If they stopped support tomorrow nobody would blame them.

Shazam!
06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Natal Will 'Revolutionise Home Entertainment'
'We want to reinvent the industry' say Microsoft.
By Martin Robinson, IGN UK

June 10, 2009 - Microsoft's Project Natal will 'reinvent the industry and revolutionise home entertainment', according to the company's corporate vice president for Xbox Shane Kim.

'If we'd just come out with something that looks and feels like the Nintendo Wiimote, I think you could have fairly criticised us and said it was derivative,' said Kim in an interview with gamesindustry.biz, 'That's not the path we wanted to go down. We could have done that, but we wanted to reinvent the industry and revolutionise home entertainment. That's what we will achieve with Project Natal.'

Project Natal debuted at last week's E3, and impressed our own editors with its responsiveness and innovation. There's no word on when to expect it, although Kim stated in the same interview that it won't be in 2009.

Meh... wasn't it the Wii was supposed to 'revolutionize' the industry? The prototype I think was called Revolution.

Thnikkaman
06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I meant all of them, but to me N clearly has shown a neglect to a large base of their supporters and their customers.

I think Sony has clearly made some mistakes (as did MS) with the PS3, but they've supported their PS2 for so long without abandoning it. If they stopped support tomorrow nobody would blame them.

Just wanted to get some clarification. It was starting to sound like you were putting Sony and Microsoft up on a pedestal.

Shazam!
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
No I wasn't. MS screwed up by abandoing the XBox so fast and the RROD issue on the 360s, even though they fix them for free. Sony's PS3 is so expensive for some people it holds back sales, and there is a lack of some games but they're making headway in that department. I think they both do a better job of getting out diverse games that longtime gamers want to play that aren't aimed exclusively at children, kids, pre-teens or moms like the Wii has. Both platforms offer games of all genres.

Shazam!
06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
IGN's Overall Best of E3 2009 Awards
After one of the best shows in years, we pick the greatest games of the bunch.
by IGN Editorial Staff
June 12, 2009 -

The 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo has come and gone, but the games shown at the conference still loom large in our minds. From big-budget blockbusters to scaled-down surprises, there was something for every gamer at this year's E3.

As the conference unfolded at the Los Angeles Convention Center June 2-4, we kept a running tally of our favorite games on a big white board in our IGN E3 Command Center. When a new title blew us away, we wrote it down. When something surprised us, we wrote it down. When a behind-closed-doors demo made us want to get our wallets out and buy the game right then and there, we wrote it down.

The games on that list eventually became our nominees for the best games of IGN E3 2009, and from there we narrowed it down to pick our final favorites. These are the games that got the IGN editors talking last week and haven't been able to shut up about since. So keep reading to find out which games wowed us most at E3, and make sure to read the individual channel awards by clicking on the links above. And if you want to see the biggest games from the show be sure to click on the links to the many demos, trailers, and gameplay clips we captured at the convention.

http://media.ign.com/games/image/article/987/987759/e3awards_nav_allon_1244820228.jpg

Best Action Game
Alan Wake
Xbox 360
Release date: Spring 2010
No one was certain what to expect from Alan Wake, a game long described as being a story-heavy survival horror title. But Alan Wake is actually an action title with a heavy dose of eerie atmosphere. The debut at the MS press conference revealed Alan Wake's clever use of lighting and fast-paced combat; the behind closed door sessions showed off the intense story elements that add depth to the action.

Runners-Up

Brutal Legend
God of War III
Splinter Cell Conviction
Uncharted 2

Best Fighting Game
Tatsunoku v Capcom
Multiplatform
Release date: Winter 2009
Capcom has released a number of cross-over fighting games in the past, ranging from the bonkers Marvel series to the more classical Capcom vs. SNK games. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom falls somewhere in between, with nutso aerial raves and oversized super moves balanced by a pace that's more sedate and calculated. We dig the compromise, and the multi-thousand billion damage combos.

Runners-Up

Dissidia
King of Fighters 12
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Tekken 6

Best Music/Rhythm Game
DJ Hero
Multiplatform
Release date: Fall 2009
At a time when many of us are starting to feel tired of music games, DJ Hero stands poised to recapture our interest. It's at once both familiar and new, presenting Guitar Hero-like gameplay with a fantastic, all-original tracklist of remixes and mash-ups. We have a feeling we'll be making room for one more plastic instrument when the game is released in October.

Runners-Up

Beatles Rock Band
Def Jam Rap Star
Karaoke Revolution

Best Platforming Game
LittleBigPlanet Portable
Playstation Portable
Release date: TBA 2009
LittleBigPlanet was nothing short of a breakthrough title on the PlayStation 3 thanks to the coupling of incredible creation tools and physics-based gameplay. The PSP version looks to bring the same experience to Sony's handheld, featuring the same great, simple controls with inventive level design and tons of stickers and objects to collect. We're about to be hooked all over again.

Runners-Up

Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter
Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
'Splosion Man

Best Puzzle Game
Scribblenauts
Nintendo DS
In Scribblenauts, you've got a simple task: collect a star token placed in a strategic location, like on the top of a tree or on the other side of a dirt wall. If only you could call upon a vast assortment of items to assist you. Oh, wait, you can! If you can think of an item, chances are it's in Scribblenauts. If you want to burn down the tree with a torch and a puddle of gasoline, go right ahead. Half the fun of Scribblenauts is trying to stump the game's enormous database of stuff and trying to solve problems in ways that you'd never in a million years consider doing in other games.

Runners-Up

Critter Crunch
Echochrono
Trash Panic

Best Racing Game
Forza Motorsport 3
Xbox 360
Release date: October 2009
Microsoft is keeping many of the new additions to its premier racing franchise under wraps, but what we've seen so far is already impressing car aficionados. More cars and more tracks with improved visuals are just the start. The livery editor is returning, backed by an in-game video editor to make your own highlight reels. And that is only the beginning.

Runners-Up

Dirt 2
Gran Turismo PSP
Mod Nation Racers
Need for Speed Shift

Best Role Playing Game
Mass Effect 2
Xbox 360
Mass Effect 2 is a refinement of one of the best Western RPGs ever made. The choices made in the first game have a major impact on the sequel, creating a level of dynamic storytelling never before seen in gaming. The visuals are already superior to the original and the action has been streamlined to create a more immersive experience.

Runners-Up

Alpha Protocol
Dragon Age
Final Fantasy XIII
White Knight Chonicles

Best Shooting Game
Call of Duty- Modern Warfare 2
Multiplatform
The Call of Duty franchise has set standards for first-person shooters since early 2000, and Infinity Ward is continuing that tradition with the highly-anticipated Modern Warfare 2. As the first official sequel game, MW2 drew crowds at the Activision booth this year, but only a select few had a chance to see the stealthy arctic espionage and high-speed snowmobile chases live behind closed doors. Holding a steady 60 frames per second and pushing the cinematic shooter to new heights, Modern Warfare 2 blew us away… even if that is starting to be par for the COD course.

Runners-Up

Halo: ODST
Left 4 Dead 2
Lost Planet 2
Red Steel 2

Best Sports Game
Fight Night Round 4
PS3/360
Release date: Winter 2010
The series that defined this generation of gaming is finally making its triumphant return to the ring. Fight Night Round 4 brings all-new physics-based fighting that takes into account every aspect of real boxing strategy. You'll need to both float like a butterfly and sting like a bee as some of the sports' greatest icons if you want to emerge as the champ.

Runners-Up

FIFA 10
Madden NFL 10
Tiger Woods Wii
Wii Sports Resort

Best Strategy Game
Supreme Commander 2
PC/Xbox 360
Release date: TBA 2010
Expanding on the scale and incredible battles of the first Supreme Commander would be a daunting feat. However, Gas Powered Games has managed to redesign just about everything in Supreme Commander 2. New AI, tech trees and path finding are merely the tip of this strategy game iceberg, which looks like it will dwarf its predecessor's considerable high standards.

Runners-Up

East India Company
Hearts of Iron 3
Order of War
R.U.S.E.

Shazam!
06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
(continued)

Best Downloadable Game
Shadow Complex
Xbox 360
Release date: August 2009
When it arrives as the finale of this year's Summer of Xbox Live Arcade, Shadow Complex could be one of the most impressive downloadable games to date. A mix of Metroid, Castlevania, and Bionic Commando, this beautiful 2D effort is a retro fan's wet dream. Its appeal should reach beyond just old school gamers, though.

Runners-Up

Fat Princess
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Pixel Junk Shooter
Splosion Man

Best Graphics Technology
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Playstation 3
The first game still looks great to this day, but Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is a show-stopper. The new procedural animation system is simply incredible (characters' hands fluidly move from ledge to ledge, for instance) and it plays naturally into the massive environments that shift and crumble as you take down the pirates. And let's not forget the lush foliage, massive environments and incredible attention to detail. Amazing.

Runners-Up

Assassin's Creed 2
Alan Wake
God of War 3
Mass Effect 2

Best Artistic Design
The Last Guardian
Playstation 3
Release date: TBA
It would not be a stretch to say that the developers at Team ICO are masters of their craft. The real-time trailer of The Last Guardian shown at this year's E3 was a brilliant artistic work. Putting aside the fact that the game's visuals are already stunning, you'd be remiss not to note the atmospheric cinematography, the beautiful (yet softly muted) use of color and the achingly poignant connection between the nameless young boy and his gentle companion.

Runners-Up

Assassin's Creed 2
Brutal Legend
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
The Saboteur

Best Multiplayer Experience
Left 4 Dead 2
Xbox 360
Release date: November 17, 2009
Sure, Left 4 Dead 2 is coming on the heels of last year's thrilling four-player co-op shooter, but the multiplayer experience remains unparalleled. There's nothing quite like running and gunning through a city full of zombies, your buddies at your side, and plenty of yelling, screaming, and laughter along the way.

Runners-Up

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Halo 3: ODST
Wii Sports Resort

Achievement for Technological Excellence
Project Natal
Xbox 360
20 years ago we were all watching Fred Savage in the movie The Wizard as we collectively thought that Super Mario Bros. 3 and the Power Glove were the epitome of technical excellence. And now we have a 3D camera that can recognize whether you are happy or sad, track your motions in three dimensions, and virtually transport you into fantastical worlds that you can explore without even holding a controller.

Runners-Up

MAG
Milo
Splinter Cell Conviction

Special Achievement for Innovation
Scribblenauts
Nintendo DS
Though Scribblenauts is considered a puzzle game, you'll quickly forget the core task of the title when you realize what makes the game so original: hidden inside the cartridge are tens of thousands of items just waiting to be conjured up by typing their name. Write werewolf, basketball, trophy, jetpack... and those items will show up instantaneously. Every item has a property or behavior, and many items can be combined and used in a variety of ways, and it's clear that, in our short time with the demo at E3, players are going to lose hours simply toying around the title screen seeing what random items they can call up and utilize just by writing down the words. The sheer size of the word database is incredibly impressive, even moreso when you realize that artists and programmers have created items for every word in the game. The concept is too unbelievable to think a game like this even exists. But it does.

Runners-Up

DJ Hero
Invizamals
Milo
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction

Best Hardware/Peripheral
Project Natal
Xbox 360
Microsoft has finally shown how it will enter the motion control market with Project Natal. The catch is, there isn't any controller at all. This camera will follow your motions in three dimensions, recognize your facial expressions and voice and a whole lot more. Whether you're a casual gamer or hardcore shooter fan, you have to be excited about the possibilities.

Runners-Up

DJ Hero Turntable
PlayStation Motion Controller
Wii MotionPlus
PSPgo

Best Non-playable Presentation
The Last Guardian
Playstation 3
Despite the fact that an early version of the trailer for The Last Guardian leaked a week or so before E3, the first official showing still wowed us. The artistic and cinematic vision here is astounding, and despite only being a couple minutes long, we already have a great sense for the love between the boy and the creature. It was essentially only a tease, but we can't wait to find out what it's actually all about.

Runners-Up

Crackdown 2
Gran Turismo 5
Metroid: Other M
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Biggest Surprise
Kojima's Castlevania
PS3/360
That Konami announced a new Castlevania game isn't a shocker, but for the past decade the franchise has been kept under the wing of producer Koji Igarashi. At E3 2009, Hideo Kojima, renowned for his Metal Gear series, announced that his team is heading development on Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Despite teasing the announcement in the weeks before E3, we still think this came outta f'n' nowhere.

Runners-Up

Left 4 Dead 2 Revealed
Metroid: Other M Debuts
Metal Gear Solid: Rising Coming to Xbox 360
Project Natal and Milo Storm the Show

Best Console Game
Mass Effect 2
Xbox 360
Think Empire Strikes Back. Think Godfather, Part 2. Think about all the great middle chapters in your favorite story trilogies. That's what Mass Effect 2 is shaping up to be. BioWare blew us away with its promise of an incredibly dark second act in its epic sci-fi trilogy, along with plenty of dazzling visuals, intense firefights, and stunning moments.

Runners-Up

Alan Wake
God of War 3
Modern Warfare 2

Best Handheld
Scribblenauts
Nintendo DS
Even with ambitious and visually impressive games like Little Big Planet, Jak & Daxter, and Gran Turismo being shown off for Sony's PSP, an unknown, original Nintendo DS game like Scribblenauts managed to wow attendees with an incredibly ambitious and creative concept: the ability to write the word of any item and have it pop into existence…and being able to use these items in a variety of different ways. You're supposed to use these items to solve puzzles, but that task might take a backseat to simply dicking around the title screen to see what crazy items you can come up with. You'll have a hard time stumping Scribblenauts as its database is chock full of thousands upon thousands of words to write, with useable items attached to each one of these words in the library.

Runners-Up

Gran Turismo PSP
Half Minute Hero
LittleBigPlanet Portable
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Best PC Game
Star Wars: Old Republic
What do you get when you mix together Star Wars, BioWare and the MMO genre? One of the most intriguing and ambitious games on any system. BioWare's firing on all cylinders with this one, creating a game that has great story and setting, lots of player freedom, thrilling combat and a compelling social aspect. The developers made a lot of promises about how great this game will be and this year's showing proves them right.

Runners-Up

Dragon Age: Origins
Left 4 Dead 2
Mass Effect 2
Supreme Commander 2

Overall Game of Show
Scribblenauts
If you're surprised by a DS game winning Game of the Show this year you haven't played Scribblenauts yet. 5TH Cell's innovative "write anything" game went head to head with one of the best E3 rosters to date, but in the end innovation won out. When did the tide turn towards Scribble? Somewhere between writing down God and Cthulhu and watching them go head-to-head in battle, or typing in Keyboard Cat and seeing the damn thing show up. If you write it, it will spawn.

Runners-Up

Alan Wake
Mass Effect 2
Modern Warfare 2

http://games.ign.com/articles/987/987759p1.html