PDA

View Full Version : Is Hawkins running the Buffs into the ground?

MOtorboat
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4219574

Smith, Wallace leaving Buffaloes
By Tim Griffin

Colorado wide receiver Josh Smith and tight end Ryan Wallace will be transferring from the Buffaloes' program, school officials confirmed Sunday.

Smith, the Buffaloes' top kick returner and one of the team's deep receiving threats, plans to transfer to another school that will enable him to pursue a music career, Colorado assistant athletic director David Plati said.

Wallace, a redshirt freshman, plans to transfer because he was homesick last season and wants to be closer to his family in Bowling Green, Ky.

Two schools that offer the music major that Smith is interested in pursuing are Arizona State and USC. The product of Moorpark, Calif., began making rap demos and CDs during high school and is interested in pursuing that career after he leaves college.

Smith, a junior, finished the 2008 season with 1,987 all-purpose yards. He set school records with 1,568 return yards and 50 kickoff returns, including a touchdown return that helped propel the Buffaloes' season-opening victory over CSU.

Smith also gained 387 yards receiving on 29 catches and added 32 rushing yards last season. He caught 23 passes for 451 yards as a freshman in 2007.

He is also the uncle of heralded Colorado tailback Darrell Scott. The Boulder Camera reported that Smith's departure likely won't damage the school's relationship with Scott, who attempted to talk Smith out of leaving school. Scott was one of the nation's top running back recruits in the 2008 recruiting class but struggled with injuries last season.

Wallace is the third member of the nationally ranked 2008 recruiting class to leave the program, joining linebacker Lynn Katoa and receiver Chance Blackmon.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Looks like these two guys have reasons other than Hawkins for leaving, unless they just did not want to blame it on Hawkins. We may never know. If there are issues with Hawkins, could these players not go to the AD at CU? I do not know how that process works, but if they can go to the AD, unless the AD is clueless, I would think he would speak with Hawkins, rather than CU losing players.

Bronco4ever
06-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Is Darrell Scott going to transfer if his uncle is gone? I thought he only came to Boulder because Smith was there.

MOtorboat
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Is Darrell Scott going to transfer if his uncle is gone? I thought he only came to Boulder because Smith was there.

Plus, he's behind Stewart after some of Stewart's performances last year, so I would look for him to go, as well.

Buff
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't view this as a reflection of the job Hawkins is doing. Josh Smith never fully committed to football. Ryan Wallace is homesick... Shit happens with college kids.

If anything, I think Hawkins has done about as good of a job as you can do recruiting guys to come play for a program that has been losing for a number of years now. I think you can criticize some of his gameday decisions... But I'd hardly say he's running the program into the ground.

NightTrainLayne
06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I think that if they reinstuted that program of having "easy" girls greet the recruits, and give them a "tour" that their winning ways will return. :D

Either that, or they could start paying players like Stoops. :D

MOtorboat
06-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't view this as a reflection of the job Hawkins is doing. Josh Smith never fully committed to football. Ryan Wallace is homesick... Shit happens with college kids.

If anything, I think Hawkins has done about as good of a job as you can do recruiting guys to come play for a program that has been losing for a number of years now. I think you can criticize some of his gameday decisions... But I'd hardly say he's running the program into the ground.

It just worries you when Katoa, Smith and Wallace are all gone. At the college level, was it because Hawkins couldn't connect with Smith? Was that why his head wasn't in it? You never know, I just don't like seeing some of the stuff I've seen coming out of Boulder. You're much closer to the situation, as everyone out here thinks no one cares about CU.

I think that if they reinstuted that program of having "easy" girls greet the recruits, and give them a "tour" that their winning ways will return. :D

Either that, or they could start paying players like Stoops. :D

Yeah, the easy chicks were a big draw. I was partial to the keggers thrown in honor of recruits.

Buff
06-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah, paying the players would help... Or even being able to pay our assistants would help. State law prevents us from signing them to multiyear contracts. Not to mention CU has stricter academic requirements than all of our Big 12 counterparts. (Not saying these are excuses, but when you're already up against powerhouses like Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska, we need all the help we can get.)

2 assistant coaches left the program this off season for Oregon and Auburn respectively because we couldn't match the financial compensation. Oh by the way, we also lost out on two major WR recruits to Oregon and Auburn after the players had given CU soft verbals.

CU will always be a step behind the major Big 12 programs because we are consistantly operating with 1 arm tied behind our back. It'd be hard enough to compete without financial and recruiting restrictions.

Buff
06-01-2009, 01:23 PM
It just worries you when Katoa, Smith and Wallace are all gone. At the college level, was it because Hawkins couldn't connect with Smith? Was that why his head wasn't in it? You never know, I just don't like seeing some of the stuff I've seen coming out of Boulder. You're much closer to the situation, as everyone out here thinks no one cares about CU.

Yeah, the easy chicks were a big draw. I was partial to the keggers thrown in honor of recruits.

I'd be surprised if Katoa ever plays college football for any school. He didn't seem to get it. He was either in trouble with the law, or inelligible since the day he got to CU. Unfortunate given that he was a 5-star talent, but I don't see him having a football career anywhere.

Wallace is a bummer, but not really a huge deal at a position that has 3 incoming freshman recruits and a couple of other serviceable guys already in the program. He was penciled in to be a contributor, but hadn't really made an impact yet.

The loss of Smith sucks. But if you take a step back and look at it-- he has underachieved since he got here. He never seemed to want to put it all together in terms of off the field conditioning and mental preparation--and it showed on gamedays. He was also injury prone because he wouldn't get in the weight room like coaches wanted him to... Granted, he was still one of our top 3 receivers at an already thin position, so it's not like I'm happy about this... At first, I was devastated. But the more I reflect on it, the easier it is to swallow. If he'd rather be a rapper than a football player, then we don't need his influence around. I just hope D. Scott sticks around. He's been having a great offseason according to the strength and conditioning coach.

Broncospsycho77
06-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Scott better live up this year, or he'll be a five-star rated career backup.

MOtorboat
06-01-2009, 03:12 PM
The loss of Smith sucks. But if you take a step back and look at it-- he has underachieved since he got here. He never seemed to want to put it all together in terms of off the field conditioning and mental preparation--and it showed on gamedays. He was also injury prone because he wouldn't get in the weight room like coaches wanted him to... Granted, he was still one of our top 3 receivers at an already thin position, so it's not like I'm happy about this... At first, I was devastated. But the more I reflect on it, the easier it is to swallow. If he'd rather be a rapper than a football player, then we don't need his influence around. I just hope D. Scott sticks around. He's been having a great offseason according to the strength and conditioning coach.

What have you heard about Simmons? Is he ready to step up and fill some receiver shoes?

Buff
06-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Ringo was projecting him as one of the top 3-4 WR's on the team before Smith went down... And the WR corps was already thin before Smith left, now its borderline decimated... So we'll take all the warm bodies we can get at the position.

He's kind of the offensive equivalent of Shaun Mohler IMO. He's a Juco transfer who has a huge academic hill to climb, but if he can get eligible, I expect him to be a regular contributor next year.

MOtorboat
06-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Ringo was projecting him as one of the top 3-4 WR's on the team before Smith went down... And the WR corps was already thin before Smith left, now its borderline decimated... So we'll take all the warm bodies we can get at the position.

He's kind of the offensive equivalent of Shaun Mohler IMO. He's a Juco transfer who has a huge academic hill to climb, but if he can get eligible, I expect him to be a regular contributor next year.

He's going to have to contribute. According to Rivals, there are only three WRs on scholarship now.

I hope he can get eligible.

EMB6903
06-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I dont think Hawkins is the reason for this at all, Smith was a great talent one of the best pure talents in the Big 12, dude was just brain dead... had no football IQ what so ever... Markques Simas is a much better player who will have a break out year this season

Im not so high on Hawkins though, shown to be a great recruiter but my goodness does this guy make some questionable calls on the football field.

JONtheBRONCO
06-01-2009, 09:58 PM
no his son is

Buff
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Here is my post from the scout.com forums-

So with the departure of Smith, the million dollar question seems to be, "What about D. Scott?"

I've seen plenty of speculation, but nothing that seems to have any merit. I don't know where the UCLA rumor started.

Kyle, can you shed any light on this? Offer up a best guess as to what you think will happen? Were D. Scott and Smith as close as we've been led to believe? Is D. Scott still going to be a Buff this fall?

And here is Kyle Ringo's response-

Darrell is not going anywhere. While I think Darrell and Josh are close from having spent a lot of time together growing up, I don't think they are so close that they can't be apart. I understand the concern, but I honestly believe people need to chill and give Darrell a little credit for being his own man.

BigDaddyBronco
06-02-2009, 03:02 PM
So, the Buffs might be, what, the third best or the fourth best team in the Big 12 - North this year?

Buff
06-02-2009, 03:06 PM
So, the Buffs might be, what, the third best or the fourth best team in the Big 12 - North this year?

Get lost troll...

BroncoJoe
06-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Interesting choice for the title of this thread. Their departures have nothing to do with Hawkins.

:confused:

MOtorboat
06-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Interesting choice for the title of this thread. Their departures have nothing to do with Hawkins.

Four departures from that class...just starting to look fishy...and his top WR recruit this year probably won't qualify.

Buff
06-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Four departures from that class...just starting to look fishy...and his top WR recruit this year probably won't qualify.

Have faith. Right now it actually looks fairly promising that Simmons gets in.

http://colorado.scout.com/2/867014.html

Andre Simmons remains totally confident he's going to be an eligible player on the Colorado roster this fall when the Buffs kickoff the season against Colorado State on Sept 5. He's so confident he will make it he has already started looking ahead to what kind of production he might be capable of in his first year in the Buffs' offense.

"That's one of my advantages, one my little secrets," Simmons said. "I take to the playbook really fast."

Simmons said he remains on track to join the Buffs after passing six classes this spring at Independence Community College in Kansas. He said he must take three summer classes to earn a total of nine credits to be able to put junior college behind him and become a Buff.

Simmons said he has two classes that begin on June 2 and end on June 30. He has a third class that will carry on into July. He said he expects to be finished with junior college and in Boulder in mid- to late-July.

So what makes him so sure he will get the job done? The worst is behind him.

"I'm 100 percent confident," Simmons said. "This was like one of my hardest semesters. I did what I can and like, three classes. That's really easy now."

Simmons said he remains in contact with CU offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau who has helped guide him and motivate him to stay on track academically. He said Kiesau calls at least once a week and they often talk more than that.

Simmons brings major ability to a team badly in need of it at the wide receiver position. The Buffs went through spring practices with just three wide receivers on scholarship. Simmons is one of four more slated to join the program this summer, including Michigan transfer Toney Clemons, who must sit out this season.

Simmons also is just what the team needs in terms of a speedster who can make plays and stretch defenses. Simmons said he once ran a 4.2-second 40-yard dash. He said he runs more consistently in the 4.3 to 4.4 range.

CU coaches have said Simmons will likely make significant contributions right away if he can qualify for school in Boulder. Kiesau has said Simmons, who is 6-foot-3 and up to 205 pounds, has the body of former CU wideout Patrick Williams and the speed and ball skills of current wide receiver and kick return man Josh Smith. He will be an exciting player to watch if or when he gets to campus.

"I'm going to get up there and try to get into the playbook," he said.

Buff
06-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Well, I wouldn't say nothing. Sometimes the decisions are out of the coach's hands (as they both appear to be in this case.) But ultimately, Hawk is the one that recruited them, and so if you get enough defections from the program then I think it does fall back on the head coach.

Simple Jaded
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
My only issue with Dan Hawkins is that Cody Hawkins is still the best he can do at QB, well, that and the Mizzou/Gators offense he ran in 08.

Hawkins has an offense best suited for a power running game, imo, especially with Mini-Me at QB, yet the 5-6/170lb Stewart was their most effective RB because of the offense they run. CU had a game in 08 (CSU) where they didn't run any plays that I saw play from under center until they were kneeling from Victory Formation to run out the clock.

I don't see Darrell Scott staying a Buff after the 09 season, I became convinced of that after watching the 08 spring scrimmage, he's just a poor fit for the junk offense that Hawkins wants to run. The Buffs blame Scott's injuries and conditioning, I think it had more to do with the fact that Stewart is better suited for the Run and Shoot crap they want to run.......

Buff
06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
My only issue with Dan Hawkins is that Cody Hawkins is still the best he can do at QB, well, that and the Mizzou/Gators offense he ran in 08.

Hawkins has an offense best suited for a power running game, imo, especially with Mini-Me at QB, yet the 5-6/170lb Stewart was their most effective RB because of the offense they run. CU had a game in 08 (CSU) where they didn't run any plays that I saw play from under center until they were kneeling from Victory Formation to run out the clock.

I don't see Darrell Scott staying a Buff after the 09 season, I became convinced of that after watching the 08 spring scrimmage, he's just a poor fit for the junk offense that Hawkins wants to run. The Buffs blame Scott's injuries and conditioning, I think it had more to do with the fact that Stewart is better suited for the Run and Shoot crap they want to run.......

I'm hoping that losing Helfrich and Grimes is a blessing in disguise because it forces us to make changes on offense...

The offense was a complete disaster last year. It was basically a year lost trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Cody Hawkins had no business running a spread offense designed for a mobile QB, our o-line was constantly out thinking themselves trying to block misdirection finesse running plays that usually ended up getting blown up in the backfield, plus we had virtually no talent at WR. I don't see how things could get any worse on that side of the ball, even without Josh Smith (kind of like the Broncos defense.)

However, I hope you're wrong about Scott. I think there was some merit to the fact that he came into camp out of shape and was battling injuries for the better part of the year. It's a little too early to deem him a bust.

MOtorboat
06-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm hoping that losing Helfrich and Grimes is a blessing in disguise because it forces us to make changes on offense...

The offense was a complete disaster last year. It was basically a year lost trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Cody Hawkins had no business running a spread offense designed for a mobile QB, our o-line was constantly out thinking themselves trying to block misdirection finesse running plays that usually ended up getting blown up in the backfield, plus we had virtually no talent at WR. I don't see how things could get any worse on that side of the ball, even without Josh Smith (kind of like the Broncos defense.)

However, I hope you're wrong about Scott. I think there was some merit to the fact that he came into camp out of shape and was battling injuries for the better part of the year. It's a little too early to deem him a bust.

I think if he doesn't leave before the season, he's not leaving.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12521053?source=rss

It's taken longer than hoped, perhaps, for Dan Hawkins to turn around the University of Colorado football program.

After going a combined 93-23-1 in his previous two coaching stints at Willamette and Boise State, Hawkins is a disappointing 13-24 through three seasons at CU.

Broncos' tight end Jeb Putzier, who had Hawkins as head coach in 2001 when both were with the Broncos of Boise, was asked at minicamp today if he's surprised his former boss hasn't resurrected the CU Buffaloes to prominence by now.

"I had four head coaches in Division I sports. And not every coach is in the sports business for the same reason," Putzier said. "Unfortunately, every one is judged on wins and losses. To me, I see it differently because of the different coaches I had. They weren't always good, or did the right things. But the type of people he's producing, to me that's more winning than say, NFL players.

"And I understand he's getting paid a lot of money, it's a big school, they expect to win. But to me I see a different aspect. And, personally, I think he's doing a great job. Hopefully, those type of guys he's bringing in are going to transcend from doing things right off the field to doing it right on the field."

slim
06-04-2009, 11:30 PM
LOL...

Running the Buffs into the ground? If anything he has resurrected the program....they are sooo much better off now than when he took over (it's not really debatable).

So a couple of players left...not really a reflection on the coach. People do have their own agendas.

rcsodak
06-22-2009, 11:35 PM

You're giving them an awful lot of credit, aren't you?

MOtorboat
06-23-2009, 08:17 AM
You're giving them an awful lot of credit, aren't you?

Well, they are better than Kansas State and Iowa State, for sure. So 4th at worst is not giving them too much credit.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-26-2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12698617

BOULDER — Louise Bennett Reed, a coal miner's daughter, bequeathed the University of Colorado athletic department her entire estate valued at $4.75 million, the school said Friday.

The record single donation to the department will annually fund six out-of-state equivalent scholarships, beginning this fall, athletic director Mike Bohn said.

Reed, who died a year ago at age 103, was a volunteer academic/career counselor for CU football players during the mid-1970s.

Her affinity for CU football grew during the Bill McCartney era, and she was had a game-day parking space near the stadium.

"This is a powerful and inspirations gift that means so much to us on so many levels," Bohn said Friday. "I couldn't be more touched and appreciative of what it represents to us in the long term."

The donor specified CU should use the estate for football and men's and women's basketball scholarships. Bohn said in order to preserve a perpetual fund, the department will used $250,000 a year for scholarships.

With annual Buff Club donations typically producing about $5.9 million, Bohn said the endowment will put CU over the $6 million mark.

"It's inspiration for someone who had so much confidence in our program but might also trigger thoughts in other people's estate planning," Bohn said. "This makes a significant dent in our $8.2 million scholarship bill."

Bohn and CU Foundation spokesman Jeremy Simon said school officials had known for years of Reed's intention to include the department in her will. She had no surviving immediate family members.

"Our development team worked with Louise. I went over to see her a couple of times," Bohn said. "We knew her intentions, but when they were realized they were more meaningful and special to all of us."

A native of Redstone, her father and brother-in-law operated the long-closed Lafayette Black Diamond coal mine. Reed grew up in the Boulder area. Bohn said what most impressed him was that Reed coached girls basketball in Erie in the 1930s although there were no opposing teams at the time.

Simple Jaded
06-26-2009, 09:44 PM
"Her affinity for CU football grew during the Bill McCartney era".......

Overtime
07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Hawkins is a buffoon. Why they hired that heifer faced retard is beyond me...but as far as I'm concerned they can keep him right there so the Buffs will continue to suck.

Go Colorado State!

im only a CSU fan cause my cousin Andrea graduated from there...lol, almost went there myself, but I couldn't get the VA to pay out of state tuition for me to go there.

Buff
07-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Hawkins is a buffoon. Why they hired that heifer faced retard is beyond me...but as far as I'm concerned they can keep him right there so the Buffs will continue to suck.

Go Colorado State!

im only a CSU fan cause my cousin Andrea graduated from there...lol, almost went there myself, but I couldn't get the VA to pay out of state tuition for me to go there.

Remember when CSU named their stadium after their coach, and then fired him? There's a program rooted in tradition.

Overtime
07-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Remember when CSU named their stadium after their coach, and then fired him? There's a program rooted in tradition.

who cares? remember Dan's tirade.

"This is Division 1 Football. It's not intramurals."

that was about the stupidest thing i've ever heard. the guy is a retard and the university is equally retarded for hiring him.

Buff
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
who cares? remember Dan's tirade.

"This is Division 1 Football. It's not intramurals."

that was about the stupidest thing i've ever heard. the guy is a retard and the university is equally retarded for hiring him.

Get lost. Go start a thread about how your cousin wasn't smart enough to get into CU.

Overtime
07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Get lost. Go start a thread about how your cousin wasn't smart enough to get into CU.

my cousin's sister has a degree from CU.

Andrea went to CSU because she got a soccer scholarship, and Cynthia went to the Lewis and Clark College (a college so expensive, your family could take out 10 loans and still not have enough money to get you in there) up in Oregon for 2 years, before transferring to CU to finish up her degree in Environmental Biology. She later went back to school at CSU for her 2nd Bachelor's in Physical Therapy when she realized that a degree in Environmental Biology wasn't going to pay much.

both of my cousins carried 4.0's in HS and in College.

Andrea holds a Master's Degree in Physical Therapy, and Cynthia has a Bachelor's degree in Wildlife Biology, and a 2nd Bachelor's in Physical Therapy as well.

Cynthia just bought a house in Grand Junction, and works with her sister, Andrea who runs her own private physical therapy practice.

Buff
07-28-2009, 07:01 PM
my cousin's sister has a degree from CU.

Andrea went to CSU because she got a soccer scholarship, and Cynthia went to the Lewis and Clark College (a college so expensive, your family could take out 10 loans and still not have enough money to get you in there) up in Oregon for 2 years, before transferring to CU to finish up her degree in Environmental Biology. She later went back to school at CSU for her 2nd Bachelor's in Physical Therapy when she realized that a degree in Environmental Biology wasn't going to pay much.

both of my cousins carried 4.0's in HS and in College.

Andrea holds a Master's Degree in Physical Therapy, and Cynthia has a Degree in Wildlife Biology, and a 2nd Bachelor's in Physical Therapy as well.

Cynthia just bought a house in Grand Junction, and works with her sister, Andrea who runs her own private physical therapy practice.

Chill out, you're the one who came in here talking shit. If you have a legitimate criticism of Hawkins other than "I'm a CSU fan, he looks like a cow," then we'd love to hear it.

Overtime
07-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Chill out junior, you're the one who came in here talking shit. If you have a legitimate criticism of Hawkins other than "I'm a CSU fan, he looks like a cow," then we'd love to hear it.

Yes I have a legitimate criticism. The man refuses to put the best QB on the field, and it's certainly not his son, of which he shows ridiculous amounts of favoritism to.

Secondly his play calling is terrible from what I've seen anyways, I don't watch many buffs games, but I do watch CSU vs CU, and when Kansas plays the Buffs...and Hawkins is a very questionable head coach.

Buff
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes I have a legitimate criticism. The man refuses to put the best QB on the field, and it's certainly not his son, of which he shows ridiculous amounts of favoritism to.

Secondly his play calling is terrible from what I've seen anyways, I don't watch many buffs games, but I do watch CSU vs CU, and when Kansas plays the Buffs...and Hawkins is a very questionable head coach.

I partly agree with your criticism... Unfortunately Cody Hawkins is the best QB we have right now. Where Coach Hawkins has failed is in his effort to bring in another starting caliber guy to give Cody some competition.

The play calling was horrid last year, but that was on our former coordinator Mark Helfrich more than Hawkins. Hopefully it improves with our new o-coordinator.

The thing about Hawkins is that he's a hell of a coach in all of the off-field facets that go along with a college coaching job. He's a great leader, motivator, recruiter, speaker etc. But I agree that his gameday management has left something to be desired. You also have to keep in mind that he inhereted a bare cupboard and a team that was at the very bottom of the Big 12... So the rebuilding effort is harder than most people realize. Especially when you're trying to compete in the Big 12... Not the Mountain Worst Conference.

Overtime
07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I partly agree with your criticism... Unfortunately Cody Hawkins is the best QB we have right now. Where Coach Hawkins has failed is in his effort to bring in another starting caliber guy to give Cody some competition.

The play calling was horrid last year, but that was on our former coordinator Mark Helfrich more than Hawkins. Hopefully it improves with our new o-coordinator.

The thing about Hawkins is that he's a hell of a coach in all of the off-field facets that go along with a college coaching job. He's a great leader, motivator, recruiter, speaker etc. But I agree that his gameday management has left something to be desired. You also have to keep in mind that he inhereted a bare cupboard and a team that was at the very bottom of the Big 12... So the rebuilding effort is harder than most people realize. Especially when you're trying to compete in the Big 12... Not the Mountain Worst Conference.

i'll agree with that assessment. but as far as recruiting QB's, ya he hasn't done a very good job, but I almost wonder if that's just so his son could have the spotlight?

i may be reaching with that though.

Nomad
09-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I have no idea about the program but after tonight you might be right MO!!

Watchthemiddle
09-06-2009, 10:14 PM
His name slips me right now (buff help me out) but is Hanson the back up?

I would have liked to see him get a shot tonight at QB. Cody played well in the second half ( compared to the first ) but something is not right.

CU's offense needs some work. Where was our ground game? Good job on the D to come out in the second half and shut down CSU to only 3 points after a 1st and goal at the 3.

BigDaddyBronco
09-06-2009, 10:24 PM
The Mtn West ain't nothing to eff with!

GEM
09-06-2009, 11:41 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12698617

BOULDER — Louise Bennett Reed, a coal miner's daughter, bequeathed the University of Colorado athletic department her entire estate valued at $4.75 million, the school said Friday.

The record single donation to the department will annually fund six out-of-state equivalent scholarships, beginning this fall, athletic director Mike Bohn said.

Reed, who died a year ago at age 103, was a volunteer academic/career counselor for CU football players during the mid-1970s.

Her affinity for CU football grew during the Bill McCartney era, and she was had a game-day parking space near the stadium.

"This is a powerful and inspirations gift that means so much to us on so many levels," Bohn said Friday. "I couldn't be more touched and appreciative of what it represents to us in the long term."

The donor specified CU should use the estate for football and men's and women's basketball scholarships. Bohn said in order to preserve a perpetual fund, the department will used $250,000 a year for scholarships.

With annual Buff Club donations typically producing about $5.9 million, Bohn said the endowment will put CU over the $6 million mark.

"It's inspiration for someone who had so much confidence in our program but might also trigger thoughts in other people's estate planning," Bohn said. "This makes a significant dent in our $8.2 million scholarship bill."

Bohn and CU Foundation spokesman Jeremy Simon said school officials had known for years of Reed's intention to include the department in her will. She had no surviving immediate family members.

"Our development team worked with Louise. I went over to see her a couple of times," Bohn said. "We knew her intentions, but when they were realized they were more meaningful and special to all of us."

A native of Redstone, her father and brother-in-law operated the long-closed Lafayette Black Diamond coal mine. Reed grew up in the Boulder area. Bohn said what most impressed him was that Reed coached girls basketball in Erie in the 1930s although there were no opposing teams at the time.

$4.75M only pays for 6 out of state scholarships. That's a sad state of affairs reflection on the cost of higher learning in this country.

NightTrainLayne
09-07-2009, 12:03 PM
$4.75M only pays for 6 out of state scholarships. That's a sad state of affairs reflection on the cost of higher learning in this country.

2 things. One, is that $4.75M is way more than 6 out-of-state scholarships. It's an endowment, so basically the interest/earnings on $4.75M is what will pay for the 6 out-of-state scholarships.

Second, out-of-state tuition to Colorado is ridiculous. Everyone want's to go to school up there becuase it's so beautiful. High demand, equals high tuition.

claymore
09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
2 things. One, is that $4.75M is way more than 6 out-of-state scholarships. It's an endowment, so basically the interest/earnings on $4.75M is what will pay for the 6 out-of-state scholarships.

Second, out-of-state tuition to Colorado is ridiculous. Everyone want's to go to school up there becuase it's so beautiful. High demand, equals high tuition.

Verbatum what I was gonna say. :drinking:

nbenallo33
09-08-2009, 08:53 AM
i didnt read all of theese posts but YES hawkins is ruining the team, he is they need to pull his son from quarterback he is horrible!!!!
there should be a rule a kid cand qb when his dad is the coach

MOtorboat
09-08-2009, 09:00 AM
i didnt read all of theese posts but YES hawkins is ruining the team, he is they need to pull his son from quarterback he is horrible!!!!
there should be a rule a kid cand qb when his dad is the coach

Well, Hanson isn't any better, so Hawkins is going to have to become a better game manager.

nbenallo33
09-08-2009, 09:10 AM
but they knew hawkins wasnt a good qb... why wernt they trying to recruit one???
...oh thats right cause coaches son would lose a scholership

MOtorboat
09-08-2009, 09:21 AM
but they knew hawkins wasnt a good qb... why wernt they trying to recruit one???

Look, I'm not a big fan of the direction the Buffs are heading, but I don't think Cody Hawkins is the sole problem. And younger-Hawk isn't going to lose a scholarship if a quarterback is recruited, so that's a moot point. He'd be a serviceable backup, its just apparent, that for whatever reason, elder-Hawk can't get a top-flight quarterback. But...at the same time...its not that they don't have quarterbacks coming into the system. Clark Evans is the freshman that was a three-star recruit.

He's got Danny Spond coming in next year. Judging from the rivals video, he was in pretty much a triple option wishbone at Columbine last year, and it looks as though the rest of the video was from a summer camp somewhere and they were running the spread, so maybe his passing will improve enough this year to warrant him coming in and playing quarterback.

It would be hard, though, unless Spond is just a wunderkind to play him over a senior quarterback that has started for three years...

West
09-09-2009, 03:30 PM
After Sunday's performance.... Yes.

drewloc
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM

I don't know if CU has the same setup, but at Regis University if your parents worked for the school, you didn't have to pay tuition. I don't know if the scholarship would be a problem.

MOtorboat
09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't know if CU has the same setup, but at Regis University if your parents worked for the school, you didn't have to pay tuition. I don't know if the scholarship would be a problem.

Yeah, with NCAA rules...that's definitely not the case. Still...Hawkins isn't the one losing his scholarship if someone comes on board.

West
09-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Again, yes. That was the worst half of football i've ever seen. WOW.

Watchthemiddle
09-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Again, yes. That was the worst half of football i've ever seen. WOW.

Don't speak too soon. This second half isn't much better.

Rusty Shackleford
09-11-2009, 10:46 PM
There's a little life left, 13 points down, 1 Q to go...

Rusty Shackleford
09-11-2009, 10:47 PM
URGH. Never ******* mind.

Watchthemiddle
09-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Upon further review.....CU's Defense is HORID!!!

And If Hawkins is running the Buffs into the ground, I believe its because of his son. How many blue chippers have not come here because they knew it was Cody's team for 4 years?

MOtorboat
09-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Upon further review.....CU's Defense is HORID!!!

And If Hawkins is running the Buffs into the ground, I believe its because of his son. How many blue chippers have not come here because they knew it was Cody's team for 4 years?

We've got the four-star QB/Athlete coming in next year...

I'm still watching and I'm in the third quarter...I'm guessing this doesn't end up very well.

This is just ******* terrible.

Watchthemiddle
09-12-2009, 12:14 AM
We've got the four-star QB/Athlete coming in next year...

I'm still watching and I'm in the third quarter...I'm guessing this doesn't end up very well.

This is just ******* terrible.

Whose coming in next year?

MOtorboat
09-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Whose coming in next year?

Columbine's quarterback...4-star kid. Danny Spond.

MOtorboat
09-12-2009, 12:33 AM
I turned it off.

**** that.

West
09-12-2009, 12:39 AM
That was bad, gentlemen.

Its gonna take a lot more than Spond to bring this team back..

New Head Coach
New Defensive Coordinator
SPEED
DLinemen
Linebackers
SECONDARY

Shit what happened to Jon Major and Shaun Mohler?

BroncoAV06
09-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Ran across this on SI:

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/09/12/Colorado.Staples/index.html#ixzz0Qv9d1aNd (] http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/09/12/Colorado.Staples/index.html#ixzz0Qv9d1aNd")

Andy Staples > INSIDE COLLEGE FOOTBALL

TOLEDO, Ohio -- Dan Hawkins walked dazed from his locker room early Saturday morning and looked around. "Where's the media room?" the fourth-year Colorado coach asked.

In the MAC, visiting teams aren't guaranteed media rooms like they are in the Big 12, so Hawkins had to flay open the carcass of the worst loss of his tenure beneath a blazing Glass Bowl scoreboard that read Toledo 54, Colorado 38. Hawkins got the predictable questions. At 0-2, what can you do to rebound? Is the team still behind you? He gave the predictable answers. He and his staff will re-evaluate. They'll try to find the answers. No one will quit.

About 30 minutes later, Colorado athletics director Mike Bohn stood on the field. Those damning numbers, 54 and 38, still showed on the scoreboard. "We're frustrated," Bohn said. "Dan's frustrated. And our fans are frustrated as well."

That they are. At halftime, when Toledo led 23-3, the proprietors of the Ralphie Report blog opened a "2nd Half Suicide Hotline Thread" to allow fans to vent their frustration. Over at BuffStampede.com, one thread was titled only with Bohn's e-mail address, presumably so fans could e-mail and call for Hawkins' firing.

After the half, it only got worse. Toledo went up 30-3. Then, about two minutes after the Buffs scored to slice the deficitad to 37-24, Toledo quarterback Aaron Opelt blew through Colorado's defense for a 61-yard touchdown run. Five minutes and one interception later, DaJuane Collins blasted through the Buffs for a 23-yard score.

After the bloodletting, Hawkins said it's easy to be a critic. "That's living," he said. "It's being in the fire. You can stand on the periphery and judge, or you can stand in the middle and scrap." But those who give up half-a-hundred in Glass Bowls should expect stones to get thrown.

For his part, Bohn preached staying the course. "We're trying to re-establish the foundation for our program," he said. "We all recognize we're not there yet. We're not happy with this and our fans aren't happy with it. Again, it's where we are."

Bohn said the stain of Gary Barnett's scandal-plagued tenure lingered longer than the Buffs let on, especially when they were knocking off Oklahoma in Hawkins' second year. He reminded everyone that Colorado legend Bill McCartney, the original Promise Keeper, started 0-4 in his fourth season. Like this one, that season began with a home loss to Colorado State. The Buffs would win their next five games, including an upset of No. 3 Nebraska. Four years after that, Colorado claimed a share of the national title.

The difference is in the scores. After a 23-7 loss to the Rams in 1986, the Buffs lost to Oregon by two, to Ohio State by three and to No. 10 Arizona by 3. They did not get completely outclassed by a MAC team.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley, a man who has never been shy to fire a coach who doesn't win championships, adheres to a simple philosophy: What must be done eventually should be done immediately. The last time his football program floundered, he fired Ron Zook the moment he knew the situation would not improve. That allowed him to be the first to court Urban Meyer, who most would agree has had a fair tenure in Gainesville.

Though his public stance suggests he disagrees, Bohn may want to consider adopting Foley's philosophy.

It's only going to get worse. Toledo -- a team picked to finish fourth in the MAC west division -- looked faster at almost every position than the Buffaloes. Colorado tailback Darrell Scott, who racked up 289 all-purpose yards despite no discernible role in the offense in the second half, clearly was the best athlete on the field. It seemed the Rockets ranked No. 2 through No. 23. That speaks to Hawkins' recruiting. Nebraska has Big 12-quality players. So do Missouri and Kansas. Judging by their first two games, the Buffaloes would have trouble competing in the Mountain West and the MAC.

In 2008, Opelt rushed for minus-44 yards. Friday, he rushed for 109, including the 61-yarder and a 21-yard touchdown. The Rockets rolled up 624 yards. They averaged 9.5 yards -- 18 inches shy of a first down -- every time they snapped the football. Even first-year Toledo coach Tim Beckman, whose Oklahoma State defense held the Buffs to 17 points in a win last year in Boulder, seemed a bit surprised that his players looked so athletically superior to Colorado's.

So maybe it's time. Hawkins, by all accounts, is a good man. He teaches his players the right things. His body of work -- remember, he is the one who built Boise State into a power -- suggests he is an excellent coach. But maybe this particular job was the wrong fit. If Bohn acts soon, he can begin the work of finding the man who can help Colorado climb out of its hole. He also would allow Hawkins to begin rebuilding his reputation.

The most memorable moment of Hawkins' tenure remains his 2007 offseason rant about the Buffs playing "DIVISION I FOOTBALL!" Back then, Hawkins was suggesting the culture of the program needed to change, that players needed to get tougher and work harder. That's not the problem, though. Colorado doesn't need tougher players. Cody Hawkins, the coach's son and quarterback, proved that early Saturday morning when he scored a touchdown despite being knocked senseless by a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit.

The harsh reality is that Colorado needs better players. If Opelt can throw for 319 yards and four touchdowns, how many will Kansas quarterback Todd Reesing compile? What about Oklahoma State's Zac Robinson? Oh, and by the by, Texas' Colt McCoy will warm up for the Red River Rivalry against the Buffaloes in Austin on Oct. 10.

As he tried to digest the loss, Colorado receiver Scotty McKnight said the players stand firmly behind Hawkins. They believe he can help them turn around this season. But a look down the schedule suggests otherwise. The Buffs face Wyoming next week. Given the events of this week, that isn't a gimme. Then, after an open date, they face West Virginia in Morgantown on Oct. 1. Then it's at Texas, followed by a visit from Kansas.

"You can go one of two ways here," McKnight said. "You can look at it like we lost two games to teams we technically should have beaten. But we've worked way too hard to look at it that way. We haven't even started league play."

And that might be the scariest part.

Overtime
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Won't happen though. I watched the last quarter and a half of that game and the announcers were talking about Hawkins is in the middle of a 4 year contract, and the boosters and big donors don't want to take the hit to buy him out, just to replace him. Doesn't mean anything, but I would guess that the economy has something to do with it.

But that game was unbelievable atrocious. I can't believe Hawkins ignorance in keeping Cody in there late in the 4th, and then the kid gets knocked into next year by a vicious helmet to helmet hit.

Cody should have been pulled at the beginning of the 4th quarter, that's how you get guys hurt.

In CU's defense, Toledo didn't put their backups in either, and kept running up the score.

Embarrassing start for CU. lost to CSU opening weekend, and now to Toledo.

I didn't get to watch the post game conference, but I fully expected Dan Hawkins to go Denny Green during it...anyone see if he did?

BroncoAV06
09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
At the same time you don't get alot of time in game action in college football, I could see maybe giving the back up QB a few snaps but CU pulled close and why would Toledo back off the second game of the season? In college football things go from bad to worse really fast.

EMB6903
09-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Hansen didnt get any snaps because they dont want him to lose his eligibility for the year just to get him in for a quarter of a blow out game.... The plan is to redshirt Hansen for the year for some stupid reason... Hes a much bigger threat in this offense then Cody Hawkins.

Simple Jaded
09-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Why redshirt Hansen? He's not the long-term answer either.......

Overtime
09-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Interesting article on Hawkins and the Buffs.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5814809/17159064

"10 wins and no excuses."

That was the prediction from Colorado head coach Dan Hawkins at the beginning of the season.

My how things have changed in just two games.

Colorado, which lost to Toledo this week to drop to 0-2, has fallen all the way down to No. 101 in the CBSSports.com 120 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/polls/120) rankings.

"It's great people want us to win. All I can do is what I can do. We're going to have supporters. We're going to have detractors," said Hawkins, who is in his fourth season at Colorado. "I can't control what people think, nor am I willing. I know this: Inside our program we're doing things right."

Can things get any worse?

You bet.

The Buffaloes host Wyoming this week, but then have back-to-back road trips at West Virginia and Texas. They still have to play Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Oklahoma State this year too.

"We're frustrated, Dan's frustrated and our fans our frustrated as well," Colorado Athletic Director Mike Bohn said to the New York Times on Saturday. "Again, I think that's why the competitive resolve of our entire constituency base is going to be important for us to battle through this."

Hawkins owns a 13-26 record now at Colorado and only one bowl appearance. His best season was in 2007 when the Buffaloes went 6-7, losing to Alabama in the Independence Bowl.

But Hawkins might not be going anywhere. Buffzone.com (http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13329737) reported the school's total liability could approach $3 million under the terms of the deal if any partial year was prorated in a buyout.

And the athletic department remains in debt with the majority of an $8 million loan from the campus in 2006 still to be paid off. Part of that debt was caused when Gary Barnett was fired at the end of the 2005 season and the school hired Hawkins.

"It's after the second game of the season and right now we're focused on creating an environment to get this turned around, and it starts with Wyoming," Bohn told the website following the Toledo game.

Colorado isn't the only big-name program struggling. Virginia is also 0-2 and ranked No. 102 in the CBSSports.com 120. Syracuse is ranked No. 105 after losing to Minnesota and Penn State to start the year.

Virginia opened the season with a loss to William & Mary and then fell to TCU 30-14. The Horned Frogs sacked Virginia QB Jameel Sewell eight times, the most sacks the Cavaliers have given up since 1997.

"What do you think my thoughts are? It's disappointing. I definitely expected our offense to be further along than this," said senior offensive tackle Will Barker. "We've gotten off to a pretty slow start."

Buff
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Not. Good.

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/15251434/view/1/producttypecolor/2/type/png/width/280/height/280

http://firedanhawkins.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/

NightTrainLayne
10-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Is Dan Hawkins running the Buffs into the ground? No.

He already has.

Buff
10-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Is Dan Hawkins running the Buffs into the ground? No.
He already has.

The Dan Hawkins era ended when Toledo hung a 50 burger on us on national TV the week after getting beat by CSU on national TV... We're just going through the motions at this point. But unless a donor steps up with $3 mil to buy him out, we've got at least 1 more year of Hawk ball in 2010.

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2009, 10:50 AM
The Dan Hawkins era ended when Toledo hung a 50 burger on us on national TV the week after getting beat by CSU on national TV... We're just going through the motions at this point. But unless a donor steps up with $3 mil to buy him out, we've got at least 1 more year of Hawk ball in 2010.

Can you imagine the morale of the players once they understand this (assuming they don't alreadly. . .and they probably do, which partly accounts for the performance so far)?

Whoever comes in next will have a LOT of work to do.

Buff
10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Can you imagine the morale of the players once they understand this (assuming they don't alreadly. . .and they probably do, which partly accounts for the performance so far)?

Whoever comes in next will have a LOT of work to do.

That's what they said when Barnett took over for Nieuheisel, then again when Hawkins took over for Barnett... It's been snowballing for a while now...

The thing is, it seemed like Hawkins was making in-roads in recruiting and had at least managed to weed out some of the degenerates... Heading into the offseason it really seemed like we were headed in the right direction despite all the losing. But most of that was smoke and mirrors. We've landed a couple big name recruits who have underachieved and we can't seem to put players in a position to succeed on gameday. Coaches keep trying to fit players into a scheme instead of scheming to their players strengths. Not to mention the fact that Cody Hawkins has single handedly set this program back 4 years.

It's ugly, and as much as I want to be in Hawkins' corner I'm starting to feel like it's going to keep getting worse before it gets better. We're freaking Baylor all of the sudden.

Overtime
10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
well they could revitalize the kicking game by bringing back that female field goal kicker they once had...at least then the cheerleaders would have something to cheer about....:D

Buff
10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Comment from the Denver Post website:

Aric Goodman is, by far, the worst kicker I have ever seen. He's 4 for 8 this year and went an exceptional 5 for 14 last year, for a career 9 for 22, or 40.9%. He can't make them past 40 yards, and even when it's closer, his chances are slim-to-none. There has got to be someone on the CU campus that can kick better than this guy.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
email just received - also, it was breaking news on FM104.3 the fan a few minutes ago.

"Newsradio 850 KOA has learned University of Colorado RB Darrell Scott is leaving the program. Scott the nations top rated running back coming out of high school two years ago cleaned out his locker at CU today. Scott has rushed for 459 yards in 16 games for CU during two injury plagued seasons."

Buff
11-03-2009, 05:24 PM
email just received - also, it was breaking news on FM104.3 the fan a few minutes ago.

"Newsradio 850 KOA has learned University of Colorado RB Darrell Scott is leaving the program. Scott the nations top rated running back coming out of high school two years ago cleaned out his locker at CU today. Scott has rushed for 459 yards in 16 games for CU during two injury plagued seasons."

**** me. Nick Kasa to follow, watch.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
**** me. Nick Kasa to follow, watch.

Don't know if you have seen the following or not:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2009/11/02/cus-recent-blue-chip-jinx-continues/

With this week’s report that freshman defensive end Nick Kasa is finished for the season due to an undisclosed illness, Colorado’s Dan Hawkins was asked Monday on the Big 12 coaches teleconference if he feels “snakebit,” considering the bad luck that has befallen several of his high-profile recruits during his tenure at CU.

“No, I don’t,” Hawkins said. “That’s just how it goes. Nick will get his year back (after petitioning the NCAA for a medical hardship).

“It’s sad for him. He’s had a couple of different issues. We’ll love him up and get him through it.”

The 6-foot-7, 260-pound Kasa was rated a national top-50 prospect last fall during his senior year at Broomfield’s Legacy High School. He originally gave an oral commitment to Florida, but switched to Colorado in early January after playing in a high school All-American game in San Antonio.

Kasa suffered an MCL tear in his left knee during an August drill and sat out the first three games. Surgery was not prescribed, and Kasa recovered in time to play in the next four games, recording a total of two tackles, including one for a loss against Texas. Kasa did not see action Saturday in the loss to Missouri, presumably because of a different issue.

Among Hawkins’ top recruits, offensive lineman Ryan Miller missed the entire Big 12 schedule in 2008 with a fractured fibula, running back Darrell Scott has missed substantial time in both of his seasons due to knee and ankle, linebacker Jon Major underwent season-ending ACL surgery in 2008, and offensive lineman Bryce Givens has missed four games this season due to what the team is calling “personal issues.”

Regarding Saturday’s visitor Texas A&M (5-3, 2-2 Big 12), Hawkins said: “They’re very talented. They’re doing a nice job getting better every week and making some strides. They’ve done a nice job the last couple of weeks (victories over Texas Tech and Iowa State), that’s for sure.’’

Buff
11-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I had seen that. There was speculation that his "enlarged spleen" was an excuse to cut his losses and prepare to transfer. All speculative at this point--but so was the speculation that D. Scott wanted to transfer.

Slick
11-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow Scott is leaving? That's sucks. Someone pony up the cash to buy Dan out. Let's get Charlie Strong. Someone needs to inform him that black men and their white women have been moving to Colorado since the 70's.

Buff
11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't know who Charlie Strong is. I say we go after Eric Bienami.

Slick
11-03-2009, 10:06 PM

Florida's DC.

West
11-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Strong would be awesome but there are some rumblings that he is in some heavy consideration for the Virginia job. Just a FYI.

GEM
11-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Buff, did you listen to 104.3 last night. Al was pissed. Candidates that seemed to be brought up most by the fans is Bienami and Dave Logan.

It just sucks that the University loses that kind of money to get rid of Hawkins who tied the University's hand behind it's back the day he started Cody and killed any QB recruiting.

Buff
11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Buff, did you listen to 104.3 last night. Al was pissed. Candidates that seemed to be brought up most by the fans is Bienami and Dave Logan.

It just sucks that the University loses that kind of money to get rid of Hawkins who tied the University's hand behind it's back the day he started Cody and killed any QB recruiting.

Yeah, I listened from like 5-8... Normally Alfred drives me nuts, but I completely agreed with what he was saying... After four years, we still don't know what the team's strength is or where we are headed. It's like a rudderless ship.

I ended up calling in and talking to Sandy at around 7:50.

I talked about how I see Dan Hawkins as more of a figurehead than a coach who is down in the trenches coaching guys up. His strength has never been X's and O's so much as it's been promoting the program in public appearances and maintaining high standards for the players. I think he's done a pretty decent job off the field, but it doesn't amount to much if you can't win games.

He might be an ok coach if he had highly skilled assistant coaches who could run the offense, defense and special teams--which would let Hawkins focus on the high level directional stuff... But instead, the state doesn't allow multi-year contracts for assistants so we're constantly losing assistants to other programs who offer them better deals, and as a result, Hawkins has gotten exposed as a guy whose strength is not gameplanning.

The $3 million buyout is the real obstacle here. Even if Bohn wanted to fire Hawkins--and there is no indication that he does--we'd have to find a way to raise that $$. I don't see that happening.

If we did somehow find a way to fire Hawkins, I like the idea of Dave Logan or a CU guy. I think Bieniemy will be the ideal coach for CU someday, but I'm not sure he's ready to make the jump from running backs coach for the Vikings to head coach of a Big 12 team. But his recruiting ability is phenomenal and the fact that he bleeds black and gold is a huge plus. I'd love to see a staff with Logan, Bieniemy, Hagan and Cabral.

Buff
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Dan Hawkins job is in jeopardy
Written by kyle in Wednesday, November 4th 2009

It’s time for Colorado football fans, former players, boosters, insiders and even some members of the media covering the program to calm down, take a step back and watch things unfold.

Coach Dan Hawkins has to find a way to win all four of the remaining games on the 2009 schedule to keep his job. Three wins might do it, as long as one of them is against Nebraska.

I know everyone has read in recent days that the athletic director and chancellor say they support Hawkins and are not ready to make a coaching change. And that is true in early November with four games left or in late October, when they were actually asked, with five games left.

That’s the way this works at the college level. This isn’t professional sports where midseason coaching changes occur frequently. In the college game, they almost always happen after the season or right near the end with a game or two left at most. The exceptions to this rule almost always involve some sort of ugly allegation or behavior off the field, which hasn’t happened here.

It is just the way it is done in college sports, and considering there are 18, 19 and 20-year-olds involved, it’s the right way to handle it.

Given those facts, what else would we expect the AD and chancellor to say? Of course they aren’t going to come out at this time of year and admit they are considering a coaching change. What message would that send to the current team about finishing the season? What message would it send recruits considering joining the program?

It’s not like we don’t have some history here from which to learn.

This is a school and the same AD who offered a former coach Gary Barnett a contract extension at roughly this time of year in 2005 only to fire him a month later. What was athletic director Mike Bohn saying publicly late in the 2005 season as things fell apart and as a team that was ranked in the top 25 ended up losing its final two games by the combined score of 100-6? He was saying that he supported his coach.

Sound familiar?

What were they saying when they allowed former men’s basketball coach Ricardo Patton to enter the final season of his contract without an offer for extension?

We support the coach but we’re just not ready to offer an extension. Coach Patton ultimately announced his resignation and Bohn will tell you now that one of the decisions he wishes he had back was allowing Patton to continue as a lame duck for an entire season.

The point is, this situation is really no different.

Did Bohn and chancellor Phil DiStefano want it to come to this? Of course not. Just a month ago, they were thinking things would turn around and Hawkins would eventually get the ship righted. But even they had noticed changes in the coach’s demeanor over the past year and in particular during the past six months.

That change in demeanor and attitude was affecting a lot of people and relationships, not just those with the media. Hawkins came out of that shell a week ago, obviously trying to repair some of that damage. Why do you suppose?

Here is what Bohn said about it at the time: “There is no question the challenges that Dan faces in the management of the football program are significant,” Bohn said. “And I know he recognizes he has room for improvement, room for adjustment, room for change. It`s been refreshing to watch him over the last several weeks embrace that.”

That doesn’t sound like the same AD who was firmly in the coach’s corner throughout the offseason.

Firing Hawkins will be a expensive decision that could cost between $3 and $3.5 million. It’s not a comfortable decision to make, but it might be the smart one in the long run if keeping him leads to a drop in ticket sales, sponsorships and optimism. Let’s face it. Is anyone really optimistic that this program is going to get significantly better next year when it faces CSU in Denver, Cal on the road, Georgia at home, Oklahoma on the road and Big 12 North foes Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska on the road?

Can the department and school afford to fire Hawkins? No. But it’s also getting to the point where they can’t afford not to. There were more than 8,000 empty seats at last week’s homecoming game. Yeah, homecoming.

There are still more than 8,000 tickets available for this weekend’s tilt with Texas A&M. There are ways of handling the cost of a coaching change. They take the hit and build the financial blow into the budget over the next several years. Not ideal, not what they had in mind, but necessary unless a tremendous four-game run turns this into a .500 team.

Hawkins’ stubborn refusal to play the best players on Saturdays bothers the powers that be just as much as the average fan.

The slow starts and appearance that the Buffs are unprepared to play bother the powers that be just as much as the average fan.

The attrition rate in Hawkins’ program bothers the powers that be just as much as the average fan.

The never-ending excuse about the youth of the team while other young teams around the country are finding success bothers the powers that be just as much as the average fan.

The handling of the quarterback situation and the lack of player development atthe position over 31/2 years now bothers the powers that be just as much as the average fan.

The team’s inability to win on the road under Hawkins bothers the powers that be just as much as the average fan.

Seeing Dan Hawkins handle news of Darrell Scott’s decision to transfer this way on Tuesday bothered the powers that be just as much as the average fan.

http://buffzone.pmpblogs.com/2009/11/04/dan-hawkins-job-is-in-jeopardy/

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
This morning Vic/Gary had Darian Hagan on, and he said that the way he found out Scott was leaving, is that Scott sent him a text message.

That is not the way Scott should have done it, since it was Darian who spent countless hours recruiting him. Also, just hearing that there is nothing that Hawkins could have done to keep Scott here - i.e. - "the writing was on the wall when Scott's uncle left earlier this year".

Buff
11-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Scott did us dirty. I'd like to see Bohn play hardball with him on his transfer release request.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-04-2009, 05:10 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_13707765

BOULDER — Tailback Darrell Scott created so much fanfare by signing a national letter of intent with Colorado in February 2008, it's a wonder Boulder didn't throw a ticker-tape parade along the Pearl Street Mall. Tuesday, Scott left the program and said he hopes to join his uncle, former CU wide receiver Josh Smith, at UCLA.

Scott, 6-feet-1 and 215 pounds, was rated as the nation's No. 1 prep running back prospect after rushing for 2,433 yards and 33 touchdowns in 2007 as a senior at St. Bonaventure High School in Ventura, Calif. He picked CU over Texas after a heated recruiting battle that drew national attention.

"There's not much to say other than, 'Sorry to Buff Nation,' " Scott said Tuesday by phone. "I've been thinking about it for a couple of months."

When asked his reasons for transferring, Scott would say only, "I just want to go home."

CU players were surprised by his decision. So was running backs coach Darian Hagan, who spent countless hours recruiting Scott. Hagan said he received the news via a text message from Scott at about 1:30 p.m.

"I didn't find out the way I thought I deserved to find out," Hagan said. "It's unfortunate that he decided to leave. He has to do what he has to do. But I just wish he would have done it a different way."

Scott said he will ask CU for a release to UCLA.

"Those are my plans, to join Josh," Scott said.

Smith played two seasons at CU before transferring to UCLA this summer. When reached Tuesday by phone, Smith told The Denver Post that Scott "was really vague" when he called Smith with the news. "He said, like, 'I've had enough of this (expletive). I'm outta here, bro.' "

Smith said Scott "wasn't too much bothered" by his lack of playing time. "He was just going through the motions," Smith said.

CU coach Dan Hawkins was unaware of Scott's decision until after his weekly news conference Tuesday. After practice, Hawkins told reporters he would not address questions regarding Scott.

Hagan, who became close with Scott's family, said Tuesday he "had no idea" Scott was even contemplating a transfer.

"I asked him on different occasions, was he OK, was he thinking about transferring, with people saying stuff?" Hagan said. "I told him to be a man about it and look me in the eye. He said, 'Aw, no, coach. I never thought about it.'

"Today was a total surprise for me," Hagan added. "Life goes on. When I wake up tomorrow, it will be a different day."

Hawkins addressed the team prior to practice and announced Scott's departure, but wide receiver Scotty McKnight said he had heard before the team meeting.

"When I went into the training room, I guess his locker was cleaned out," Mc-Knight said. "Guys are bummed. Darrell was well-liked on the team. He's a cool guy. There's not a bad bone in Darrell's body. I was pretty caught off-guard by the whole thing."

Sophomore tailback Rodney Stewart, who has become CU's featured back, said he was shocked.

"We were close in practice," Stewart said. "Off the field, we had a little bit of a relationship. He just stayed to himself (after Smith left)."

Added sophomore quarterback Tyler Hansen: "I'm disappointed because he could have been a great player and a strength for the Buffs. It's too bad it didn't work out."

Scott was voted preseason newcomer of the year in a poll of Big 12 coaches prior to the 2008 season. But plagued by ankle and knee injuries, and losing playing time to Stewart, Scott started a total of only four games in two seasons. Hagan often cited injuries, Scott's problems with blocking in pass protection and Stewart's production as explanations for Scott's lack of playing time.

Scott rushed for 95 yards on 23 carries this season. His best game this season came Sept. 11 against Toledo, when he netted 85 yards on 12 carries. However, he banged up a knee in that game and had arthroscopic surgery Oct. 22 and had not played since.

Hagan said he plans to recruit at least two tailbacks "that want to be here, and know there will be ups and downs and you just have to fight through them."

Timmy!
11-05-2009, 06:27 AM
To answer the thread tittle, "YES!"

GEM
11-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I listened from like 5-8... Normally Alfred drives me nuts, but I completely agreed with what he was saying... After four years, we still don't know what the team's strength is or where we are headed. It's like a rudderless ship.

I talked about how I see Dan Hawkins as more of a figurehead than a coach who is down in the trenches coaching guys up. His strength has never been X's and O's so much as it's been promoting the program in public appearances and maintaining high standards for the players. I think he's done a pretty decent job off the field, but it doesn't amount to much if you can't win games.

He might be an ok coach if he had highly skilled assistant coaches who could run the offense, defense and special teams--which would let Hawkins focus on the high level directional stuff... But instead, the state doesn't allow multi-year contracts for assistants so we're constantly losing assistants to other programs who offer them better deals, and as a result, Hawkins has gotten exposed as a guy whose strength is not gameplanning.

The $3 million buyout is the real obstacle here. Even if Bohn wanted to fire Hawkins--and there is no indication that he does--we'd have to find a way to raise that $$. I don't see that happening.

If we did somehow find a way to fire Hawkins, I like the idea of Dave Logan or a CU guy. I think Bieniemy will be the ideal coach for CU someday, but I'm not sure he's ready to make the jump from running backs coach for the Vikings to head coach of a Big 12 team. But his recruiting ability is phenomenal and the fact that he bleeds black and gold is a huge plus. I'd love to see a staff with Logan, Bieniemy, Hagan and Cabral.

I didn't listen that late, but I was actually waiting to hear your thoughts on there. I know you have called in to them before so I was just waiting for them to say your name as the next caller. :lol:

GEM
11-05-2009, 01:20 PM

I think Logan would be fantastic in the way of recruiting. Every school he has coached has been #1 or close to there in state ratings. Mullen has had some excellent recruits the last few years and I think they would heavily consider going to CU. It's easier for a family to sway their young men to stay in state with a local guy that they know knows success. I agree with you that Bienemy is great for the future, but let him get some legs under him under Logan. I agree it would be great for the guys involved and for the school.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I think Logan would be fantastic in the way of recruiting. Every school he has coached has been #1 or close to there in state ratings. Mullen has had some excellent recruits the last few years and I think they would heavily consider going to CU. It's easier for a family to sway their young men to stay in state with a local guy that they know knows success. I agree with you that Bienemy is great for the future, but let him get some legs under him under Logan. I agree it would be great for the guys involved and for the school.

I think Logan would be an excellent choice for CU's head coach, if he would want to give up his other interests. In regards to Bienemy, he is the running backs coach for the Minnesota Vikings. I doubt if he would give up a position in the NFL to return to college.

Buff
11-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I think Logan would be an excellent choice for CU's head coach, if he would want to give up his other interests. In regards to Bienemy, he is the running backs coach for the Minnesota Vikings. I doubt if he would give up a position in the NFL to return to college.

He wouldn't take a job as a RB coach because that would be lateral movement and a paycut and he already left that position once... But he might consider a job as an O-coordinator if it were presented to him. Dude bleeds black and gold and he's a hell of a recruiter.

Nomad
11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Hmmm! I wonder who the head ref is tonight!!:D

Nomad
11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
WOW! Buffs forgot to bring their ST!!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Hmmm! I wonder who the head ref is tonight!!:D

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

NameUsedBefore
11-19-2009, 09:53 PM
21-10 Buffs.

slim
11-20-2009, 12:11 AM
They need to give Logan a chance...dude is a winner.

Buff
11-20-2009, 12:16 AM
They need to give Logan a chance...dude is a winner.

The only thing working against Logan is that they gave a guy from a lesser conference a chance and he looked way over matched. I'm not sure if Bohn wants to stake his future on a HS coach.

slim
11-20-2009, 12:18 AM
The only thing working against Logan is that they gave a guy from a lesser conference a chance and he looked way over matched. I'm not sure if Bohn wants to stake his future on a HS coach.

I agree, he won't do it.

But that doesn't mean it's not the right answer.

I hate Rick N.....program killer.

NightTrainLayne
11-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I feel bad for Hawkins. It must suck to know that the axe is coming and that you've failed like that. On the plus side he'll get a huge buy-out.

At the same time, it only took Mike Gundy one half last night to try switching QB's. .. .

slim
11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm a man.

I am 40.

Buff
11-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I feel bad for Hawkins. It must suck to know that the axe is coming and that you've failed like that. On the plus side he'll get a huge buy-out.

At the same time, it only took Mike Gundy one half last night to try switching QB's. .. .

As soon as I start to feel any remorse for wanting him fired, I remember that he is going to get $3 million to walk out the door and he dooped us all by playing his unathletic son for 3 years.

He deserves to be shown the door.

NightTrainLayne
11-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm a man.

I am 40.

This is Division I Football! It's the Big XII!

MOtorboat
11-20-2009, 02:02 PM

Not for long.

slim
11-20-2009, 02:03 PM

I think Hawkins needs to go coach intramurals, brother.

MOtorboat
11-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Our quarterbacks really, really, really suck.

Nomad
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Listening to Jim Armstrong Show, the Buffaloes seem to be hurting this year in the recruiting department especially getting players from the state of Colorado!! That says alot about your coach!!!

Buff
01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah, we've already lost a couple of verbals from in-state guys... Demetrius Sumler--a senior RB who is probably the most experienced back on the team announced his intentions to leave the program yesterday.

Keeping Hawkins was a huge mistake if for no other reason than public perception of the program... It's impossible to attract donors and high level recruits right now. Ticket sales are sure to drop, etc. etc. All of the losses and bad publicity create a snowball effect that's running the program into the ground

EMB6903
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Danny Spond and Mister Jones (2 very solid in state players) both had verbals at CU until just recently. If Im not mistaken the highest ranked player from Colorado that the buffs were able to haul in was 8th.. The state of the Colorado Buffaloes football program right now is a joke.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Just got confirmation: Darrell Scott wants back in. The former Buff is talking to Hawk about rejoining the Buffs. I guess he gets a mulligan

http://twitter.com/VicLombardi/statuses/8829859760

Denver Native (Carol)
02-08-2010, 11:39 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/CU.Buffs.Scott.2.1480519.html

BOULDER (CBS4) ― CBS4 has learned that Darrell Scott has met with CU football coach Dan Hawkins about the possibility of returning to the Buffs.

Scott left the team this fall after battling injuries and playing mostly on special teams. He has not yet been officially reinstated. A source told CBS4 that Hawkins would have to talk to his coaches and players before any final decision is made.

CBS4 was unable to determine if Scott is enrolled for the Spring semester at CU but was told by an athletic department employee that there is a rumor circulating that he is enrolled.

Scott was the crown jewel of Dan Hawkins' 2007 recruiting class. He was widely considered as the top running back in the nation coming out of St. Bonaventure high school in Ventura, California. During his prep career Scott rushed for over 76-hundred yards and scored 99 touchdowns.

He's never approached that same success in Boulder. Injuries and the emergence of Rodney Stewart have cut into Scott's playing time. In 5 games last season, Scott rushed for 95 yards and failed to score.

Buff
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Bummer...

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_14365740

Darrell Scott denies report he's trying to rejoin CU Buffs: 'It is a lie'

Former Colorado running back Darrell Scott denied a report by Denver television station KCNC-Channel 4 citing anonymous sources claiming he has met with coach Dan Hawkins and is interested in rejoining the Buffs.

Scott told the Camera today he has no plans to return to the program he chose to leave in early November.

"Nope, not at all," Scott said when asked if there was any truth to the station's report. "It is a lie. I don't plan on coming back."

Scott joined the program as part of the 2008 recruiting class and spent two injury-plagued seasons in Boulder. He played sparingly both years. He participated in just five games last fall before announcing his transfer and accumulated 95 yards rushing, with most of that total coming in a loss to Toledo. He injured his knee on the opening kickoff of that game and underwent minor knee surgery in late October.

Scott was not the only running back from last season's team to leave the program before completing his eligibility. Senior Demetrius Sumler announced at the beginning of the spring semester he would graduate in May and transfer to another program for his senior season next fall, under an NCAA rule that allows graduates with remaining eligibility such a move.

Hawkins opted not to honor Sumler's scholarship for the spring semester and Sumler has appealed that decision. Athletic director Mike Bohn said he was scheduled to meet with Sumler about the issue last week.

Bohn has not returned several phone calls from the Camera.

The departures put a priority on recruiting running backs in the 2010 cycle. Hawkins announced a class of 21 signees last week, including four players slated for running back. If all four of those players qualify academically, they will give CU seven scholarship running backs when fall camp begins in early August.

Buff
02-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Wow, so I called out Vic Lombardi on Twitter saying he has some 'splainin to do and he wrote me back this direct message:

VicLombardi: Our source is impeccable. Trust me when I say this: the kid wants back in.

Nomad
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Interesting listening to 1510, rumor of Buffs going to the Pac 10:confused:

Boise St would be a more sensible pick to go to the Pac 10 but Utah/BYU being talked about as well doing the same!!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12910849/expansion-would-boost-pac10-but-leave-wake-of-disruption

Buff
02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I've heard that Boise St. isn't a viable option because the academic standards don't match up... I honestly wouldn't hate it if CU went over and formed the 12-Pac. Road trips to places like Tempe, LA and Seattle sound a hell of a lot better than Waco, Aimes, Stillwater and Lubbock.

The only thing I wouldn't like about it is that it would kill the CU vs. Nebraska rivalry. Even though some Cornhuskers try to deny it, the rivalry has developed into a pretty significant game for both teams.

NightTrainLayne
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I've heard that Boise St. isn't a viable option because the academic standards don't match up... I honestly wouldn't hate it if CU went over and formed the 12-Pac. Road trips to places like Tempe, LA and Seattle sound a hell of a lot better than Waco, Aimes, Stillwater and Lubbock.

The only thing I wouldn't like about it is that it would kill the CU vs. Nebraska rivalry. Even though some Cornhuskers try to deny it, the rivalry has developed into a pretty significant game for both teams.

I must say. .. .Stillwater is head and shoulders above those other spots you list. :D

Buff
02-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I must say. .. .Stillwater is head and shoulders above those other spots you list. :D

Yeah, which ain't saying much... All the north cities pretty much suck, with the exception of Boulder and maybe Columbia... Manhatten KS goes without saying, Lawrence sucks if there weren't a university there, Lincoln sucks, Aimes sucks.

That's one of the crappy parts about being in Boulder--virtually all of the Big 12 teams travel well when they come here because it's a nice place to visit relative to the rest of the shitty conference cities.

Buff
02-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Wow, so I called out Vic Lombardi on Twitter saying he has some 'splainin to do and he wrote me back this direct message:

Keeps getting more interesting... Swapped a couple emails with Kyle Ringo (Daily Camera) and this is what he said:

Here is the problem with the Scott stuff. I can only report what he says. I do think he has had discussions about rejoining the program, and I would not rule it out as a possibility at this point. Where there is smoke... I was hearing all the same stuff but didn't have anyone willing to go on the record or source me on it. ...But, then again, what he said to me was pretty definitive. It's really sort of a joke. This kid has gotten more ink and airtime than any guy with 95 yards rushing ever!

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at UCLA, Cal, or Arizona State

Skinny
02-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Colorado possibly joining the PAC-10? Texas getting calls from the Big-10 about possibly joining their Conference? What the hell is going on?

Buff
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Texas isn't going anywhere... But the Pac-10 expansion has been rumored for a number of years... Sounds like it's finally getting some legs.

Nomad
02-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Colorado possibly joining the PAC-10? Texas getting calls from the Big-10 about possibly joining their Conference? What the hell is going on?

If the Pac 10 does want to expand the only logical teams would be Utah/BYU and maybe Boise St/another team could join the MWC. Like Buff said, Boise St isn't qualified and Orangehoof in another thread gave the reason!!

It does seem geographically ridiculous for Tex to go to the Big 10 and CU to go to the Pac 10!!

Skinny
02-11-2010, 04:25 PM
If the Pac 10 does want to expand the only logical teams would be Utah/BYU and maybe Boise St/another team could join the MWC. Like Buff said, Boise St isn't qualified and Orangehoof in another thread gave the reason!!

It does seem geographically ridiculous for Tex to go to the Big 10 and CU to go to the Pac 10!!Just seems a little too extreme IMO.

Timmy!
02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
The Buffs suck.

That is all.

Buff
02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Post reported.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
In the article I posted that CBS4 had on line, it said that they would talk to the players to see if they wanted Scott back. Here is Vic's latest:

http://twitter.com/VicLombardi

Got a fresh new commentary on the Curious Case of Darrell Scott. Do his teammates really want him back? More tonight on CBS4 News at 10.

He did talk about this last night, and it sounds like possibly the players do not want Scott back.

Buff
02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I doubt any players want him back the way he ran out on the team like he did... And I don't blame them. But, you also have to keep in mind that he's essentially a young kid who makes bad decisions--so I don't think the decision should be left up to other immature kids who make bad decisions.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I doubt any players want him back the way he ran out on the team like he did... And I don't blame them. But, you also have to keep in mind that he's essentially a young kid who makes bad decisions--so I don't think the decision should be left up to other immature kids who make bad decisions.

I agree - the Buffs need him, and he may have a totally different outlook now.

EMB6903
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM

the first bad decision for Darrell Scott?

when he chose CU over TexASS. Hawkins has to be the worst playcaller in the nation.

Buff
02-12-2010, 03:52 PM
JFC :tsk: It's always something...

CU Buffs WR Markques Simas suspended
Junior was second on team last season in receptions
Posted: 02/12/2010 11:45:54 AM MST

Colorado football coach Dan Hawkins announced Friday morning that junior-to-be wide receiver Markques Simas has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.

A press release issued by the athletic department said athletic director Mike Bohn approved of the suspension.

"This is obviously disappointing, but we are going to continue to emphasize our philosophy of excellence with class and we will uphold our standards," Hawkins said.

Simas missed the 2007 season as a redshirt, and was then academically ineligible for 2008. He finally saw the field for the first time last fall in CU's 24-0 win over Wyoming. He secured a starting position and finished second on the team 43 receptions for 575 yards and three touchdowns.

Nomad
09-13-2010, 01:42 PM
If the Buffs lose to the Warriors Saturday in Boulder, do you Buff fans think Hawkins will be fired next week??

Buff
09-13-2010, 01:54 PM
If the Buffs lose to the Warriors Saturday in Boulder, do you Buff fans think Hawkins will be fired next week??

I'm pretty sure our AD Mike Bohn is on record saying they won't terminate him midseason... Which is a shame. I think he should have been fired yesterday, or last year if they had any balls.

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind he is coaching his last season in Boulder after another embarrassing blowout on the road.

Nomad
09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I can't recall over the last 20 yrs the Buffs having such a long stretch of losing seasons as these last 4 yrs!! I know they've had some bad years but Hawkins isn't doing this program any favors!!

Buff
09-13-2010, 02:28 PM
I can't recall over the last 20 yrs the Buffs having such a long stretch of losing seasons as these last 4 yrs!! I know they've had some bad years but Hawkins isn't doing this program any favors!!

The thing is, our talent level isn't as god awful as some of the results would indicate. They just come out and look totally unprepared week after week. Every week you get guys lining up in the wrong spots, players coming out of the huddle confused, undisciplined penalties, etc.

Meanwhile, after each and every blowout Hawk talks about how they just have to "fix a couple little things". He's out of touch with reality and he likes to play the victim card.

If they would recruit a freaking 4-5 star QB and find a coach who knows something about football then the program isn't as bad off as it might seem.

GEM
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I went with my sister to the Harvest Festival Saturday after the CU game was over. There was a guy with a booth that had a CU tent up. I walked by and said geez, I bet you've heard some bitching today. He says....if Hawkins showed up here right now, I don't know that he would ever return home. The alumni he had talked to were ready to kill the guy and dispose of the body. :shocked:

Buff
09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I went with my sister to the Harvest Festival Saturday after the CU game was over. There was a guy with a booth that had a CU tent up. I walked by and said geez, I bet you've heard some bitching today. He says....if Hawkins showed up here right now, I don't know that he would ever return home. The alumni he had talked to were ready to kill the guy and dispose of the body. :shocked:

My cousin went to the Cal game. There were about 7,500 Buff fans in attendance that all left humiliated.

What the athletic department doesn't realize is that by saving money and not buying Hawkins' contract out, they are actually costing themselves double that amount by damaging the CU brand... Fans are being alienated from the program and probably won't spend their money on CU football again for years and years.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I have no idea if Hawaii is any good this year or not, but even if they are not, the Buffs needed a win.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16111860

BOULDER — Tyler Hansen's 73-yard touchdown pass to Toney Clemons and two third-quarter touchdown runs by Rodney Stewart salvaged a miserable offensive start for Colorado in the Buffs' 31-13 win over visiting Hawaii this afternoon.

CU's dormant running game came alive with Stewart and Brian Lockridge each gaining more than 100 yards. It was CU's first double-century rushing game in eight seasons since Chris Brown and Bobby Purify ran over Iowa State.

It might have been a different ending if the Warriors hadn't left 14 points on the field on their first two possessions.

Hansen went over the top of Hawaii's secondary and Clemons raced down the right sideline with 9:24 left in the game to take a 24-13 lead. The play on third-and-8 at the Hawaii 27 had Hansen flushed out of the pocket then looking for help.

Trailing 10-0 at halftime, CU stormed out of the locker and scored 17 points in less than eight minutes.

It started with a 14-play, 80-yard drive capped by Stewart's 4-yard score with 11:28 left. Stewart was back in the end zone a little more than four minutes later when he ducked in from the 3.

In between, CU scored a safety as Hawaii briefly fell apart. Given the momentum and the odd score, beleaguered CU coach Dan Hawkins ordered the two-point conversion. The Buffs converted on the pass from Hansen to Paul Richardson for a 17-10 lead.

Hawaii is not a second-half team. A week ago, the Warriors led Army 21-7 at the half and held on for a 31-28 victory. That was at sea level. In between the Warriors spent a week in a suburb northwest of Las Vegas, meeting, practicing and attending study hall.

Hawaii took a 10-0 lead into halftime before a stunned Folsom Field crowd and even more dazed Colorado team.

Hawaii had the ball on the CU 3 on the first two drives only to come away empty. Anthony Perkins recovered a Moniz fourth-and-goal fumble on the 3. Following a punt exchange Hawaii was back on the 3 when Po'okela Ahmad recovered a fumbled return.

Moniz threw incomplete three times and Enos kicked wide on a 20-yard attempt with 5:46 remaining in the first.

jhildebrand
09-18-2010, 06:05 PM
If they would recruit a freaking 4-5 star QB and find a coach who knows something about football then the program isn't as bad off as it might seem.

They had Munchie Legaux from New Orleans committed. The kid is a lot like the Robinson kid at Michigan right now. We recruited his HS WR as well.

Munchie bailed on signing day literally hours before the committment was due. He ended up with Cincinatti only to see Kelly leave.

However, Buff, I can tell you this: they have a nice commitment from the QB at Valor, Brock Berglund. Last I checked he was a 4 star recruit.

The problem at CU is Hawkins. This team looks no more cohesive today than it did the day he took over.

jhildebrand
09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
^^^ No sooner than I made that post the Buffs went out and looked like a DI school. Go figure :rolleyes:

Buff
09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
They looked pretty pathetic in the 1st half against Hawaii. It was a nice turnaround in the 2nd half, but there were still way too many dumb penalties, missed assignments and squandered opportunities.

I don't have my hopes too high for this season. I have a feeling playing Georgia on national tv in 2 weeks will send us crashing back down to reality. But, I hope I'm wrong. A win against UGA could inspire some much needed confidence heading into Big 12 play.

jhildebrand
09-19-2010, 07:24 PM
They looked pretty pathetic in the 1st half against Hawaii. It was a nice turnaround in the 2nd half, but there were still way too many dumb penalties, missed assignments and squandered opportunities.

I don't have my hopes too high for this season. I have a feeling playing Georgia on national tv in 2 weeks will send us crashing back down to reality. But, I hope I'm wrong. A win against UGA could inspire some much needed confidence heading into Big 12 play.

I didn't get to see or hear the game. I only saw the box score and gamebook.

At the end of the day, Hawkins has to have a very good year or he is gone. With this move to the Pac 10, CU can't cry foul over the buyout.

Buff
09-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I didn't get to see or hear the game. I only saw the box score and gamebook.

At the end of the day, Hawkins has to have a very good year or he is gone. With this move to the Pac 10, CU can't cry foul over the buyout.

Hawaii's first play from scrimmage went for 80 yards. CU had two false start penalties on the opening drive. Hansen looked like he was on the verge of getting pulled at halftime. Stewart had a bonehead fumble where he wasn't touched. HAlftime score was 10-0 UH. It was definitely uglier than the scoreboard would indicate, but any win is a good win for this team.

It's looking more and more like CU will play in the Big 12 next year, but I agree: At some point the AD has to say "enough is enough" and bite the financial bullet. If we see a few more blowouts this year and the team can't win at least 7 games I think they HAVE to fire him.

jhildebrand
09-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Hawaii's first play from scrimmage went for 80 yards. CU had two false start penalties on the opening drive. Hansen looked like he was on the verge of getting pulled at halftime. Stewart had a bonehead fumble where he wasn't touched. HAlftime score was 10-0 UH. It was definitely uglier than the scoreboard would indicate, but any win is a good win for this team.

It's looking more and more like CU will play in the Big 12 next year, but I agree: At some point the AD has to say "enough is enough" and bite the financial bullet. If we see a few more blowouts this year and the team can't win at least 7 games I think they HAVE to fire him.

Pac 12 next year it is! The problem is now CU will point to a buyout of the Big 12 as too much to also buyout Hawk.

I was the first, that I know of, 3 seasons ago to call for D Logan to take the reigns at CU. Irv and Joe were still on THE FAN and Joe laughed me off the air. Funny thing is Joe is now the biggest proponent of the idea.

My next in line would be Bienemy and then Bob Simmons. Then again, coach Mac is wanting to coach again, too. Anything but Hawkins at this point!!!

Buff
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Pac 12 next year it is! The problem is now CU will point to a buyout of the Big 12 as too much to also buyout Hawk.

I was the first, that I know of, 3 seasons ago to call for D Logan to take the reigns at CU. Irv and Joe were still on THE FAN and Joe laughed me off the air. Funny thing is Joe is now the biggest proponent of the idea.

My next in line would be Bienemy and then Bob Simmons. Then again, coach Mac is wanting to coach again, too. Anything but Hawkins at this point!!!

I don't wanna burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure Logan's name came up well before that. Maybe as soon as when Slick Rick left, though I doubt he got serious consideration then. He was definitely being mentioned before Hawk got hired 5 years ago. It makes sense, local boy whose had great success at the high school level. I wouldn't hate it, but you worry about recruiting when you bring in a HS coach... His NFL background helps though.

Bienemy is my ideal candidated. Guy bleeds Black and Gold and would be able to recruit all over the country, plus he's a master motivator. But there are questions as to whether he's ready to be the head guy, and and I doubt he'd ever take another job at CU other than head coach. In a perfect world I'd like to see Coach Mac come in with Bienemy as his asst. w/ the agreement that Bienemy takes over in 3-5 years - kind of like the Bobby Bowden/Jimbo Fisher agreement at FSU. But that's far-fetched.

I don't know much about Simmons. I wouldn't mind a coach with a track record of winning at the D1 level like Leach, but my problem with guys like that is that they're just waiting to find a higher paying job and jump ship as soon as they have a little success. That's why I'd love to get Bienemy.

Nomad
10-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Reading at Tigerforums, I came across this..... http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16442433

So is Hawkins getting fired!?!? Tiger fans are hearing rumors around Baton Rouge, Les Miles and CU!!!! I'd help him pack:D!!

slim
10-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Give me Troy Calhoun.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Reading at Tigerforums, I came across this..... http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16442433

So is Hawkins getting fired!?!? Tiger fans are hearing rumors around Baton Rouge, Les Miles and CU!!!! I'd help him pack:D!!

The assumptions here is that Hawkins will get fired. People kicking around many to replace him - i.e. - bring back McCartney, add Bienemy, or Logan under him to groom. Many argue that Logan would not want to give up announcing Bronco games, so who knows what will happen for sure.

jhildebrand
10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Give me Troy Calhoun.

He'll never leave air force. He is their next Fisher.

jhildebrand
10-28-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't wanna burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure Logan's name came up well before that. Maybe as soon as when Slick Rick left, though I doubt he got serious consideration then. He was definitely being mentioned before Hawk got hired 5 years ago. It makes sense, local boy whose had great success at the high school level. I wouldn't hate it, but you worry about recruiting when you bring in a HS coach... His NFL background helps though.

Bienemy is my ideal candidated. Guy bleeds Black and Gold and would be able to recruit all over the country, plus he's a master motivator. But there are questions as to whether he's ready to be the head guy, and and I doubt he'd ever take another job at CU other than head coach. In a perfect world I'd like to see Coach Mac come in with Bienemy as his asst. w/ the agreement that Bienemy takes over in 3-5 years - kind of like the Bobby Bowden/Jimbo Fisher agreement at FSU. But that's far-fetched.

I don't know much about Simmons. I wouldn't mind a coach with a track record of winning at the D1 level like Leach, but my problem with guys like that is that they're just waiting to find a higher paying job and jump ship as soon as they have a little success. That's why I'd love to get Bienemy.

Only now is Dave Logan being mentioned seriously. However, with some of the changes that have come about I would want Mac back for a 3 year stint. He will easily have a Bienemy or Flannigan to groom as his replacement/Associate HC.

Simmons was an old position coach under Mac at CU. I wanted him in place of Neuheisel because I thought CU would do better especially with the way recruiting was changing. He ended up coaching OSU and didn't do well in record but he built the recruiting foundation they draw from today.

Hawk can't be gone soon enough.

rcsodak
10-28-2010, 11:24 AM
why would logan have to give up announcing?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
10-28-2010, 12:12 PM
why would logan have to give up announcing?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Let's say that the Buffs are playing a night game, say in California on Saturday, and the Broncos are playing an 11:00 game the next day on the east coast. Of course, if Logan wanted to, he could probably fly at midnight from the west coast to the east coast, but MORESO, what would it look like to his team if he said - "I won't be on the flight home with you, so see you back at practice. I really don't think that would go over, nor would the powers to be at CU agree to that.

Nomad
11-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Here's the Buffs 1st Pac 12 schedule and playing WAZZU for HC was smart and a guaranteed win..........

2011 COLORADO FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Date Opponent Site

Sept. 3 at Hawaii Honolulu

SEPT. 10 HOME TBA BOULDER

Sept. 17 Colorado State Denver

Sept. 24 at Ohio State Columbus

OCT. 1 *WASHINGTON STATE (HC) BOULDER

Oct. 8 *at Stanford Palo Alto

Oct. 15 *at Washington Seattle

OCT. 22 *OREGON (FW) BOULDER

Oct. 29 *at Arizona State Tempe

NOV. 5 *SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BOULDER

NOV. 12 *ARIZONA BOULDER

Nov. 19 *at UCLA Pasadena

Nov. 26 *at Utah Salt Lake City

Dec. 3 Pacific-12 Championship Game Campus Site TDB

jhildebrand
11-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Buffs met ground yesterday. Question answered.

EMB6903
11-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Dave Logan to coach a divison 1 football team entering the pac 12?

Ill pass..

Hope Colorado goes hard after Beinamy or Leach (very unlikely with leach)

Denver Native (Carol)
11-07-2010, 02:46 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_16545567

LAWRENCE, Kan. — Colorado coach Dan Hawkins will likely keep his job until the end of the season, a source said Saturday night, and said athletic director Mike Bohn wants to keep the continuity with quarterback Cody Hawkins, the coach's son.

Bohn issued a prepared statement after returning to Boulder from the Buffaloes' 52-45 loss to Kansas, which scored the last 35 points of the fourth quarter.

"It goes without saying that this game was extremely disappointing on many levels, and obviously these developments do not meet our expectations," Bohn's statement said. "That's not to disparage Kansas' accomplishments in any way. While we share many of the same frustrations and serious disappointment as our fans, I have confidence in this group of seniors to represent this team and the university with both pride and a competitive spirit the rest of the season.

"I am cognizant and most appreciative of our fan support of the players during this difficult season. Their loyal following will be integral to our immediate and long-term success."

Reached by phone Saturday night, Bohn declined to answer any questions.

It is widely believed Hawkins will be fired at season's end, if not before. The source said it is likely Hawkins will coach through the rest of the season since his son is the only scholarship quarterback available.

Firing Dan Hawkins before the season ends could lead to even more turmoil, the source said, and Cody Hawkins is approaching a few school records.

Bohn is expected to meet this week with his head coach, who has given no indication he'll resign. Hawkins has a five-year mark of 19-39.

Cody Hawkins' 322 yards passing Saturday gave him 6,456 for his career, good for third place on Colorado's all-time list. He's 25 from tying Kordell Stewart for second and 919 from Joel Klatt's school-record 7,375.

CU (3-6, 0-5 Big 12) has three games left: Iowa State and Kansas State at home, and at Nebraska.

Bohn could also be concerned with losing offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau, who is extremely close to Dan Hawkins.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
From Vic Lombardi -
http://twitter.com/VicLombardi/statuses/1832817289854976

Just got it confirmed from a source within the CU Regent's office: Hawkins is out. Announcement tomorrow.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/ncaa.college.football.2.2001786.html

BOULDER, Colo. (CBS4) ― CBS4 Sports has learned a decision on the fate of CU's Dan Hawkins has been made. He is out as head football coach after five tumultuous seasons in Boulder. All that remains to be announced, when exactly Hawkins will leave.

Sources tell CBS4's Vic Lombardi that Hawkins will address the team at a meeting Tuesday morning. At that time we should learn if he is leaving immediately or if he'll be allowed to finish out the season.

Hawkins' firing has been long expected. Many supporters were actually hoping he would be dismissed at the end of last year. Hawkins' record stands at 19-39. In his five seasons, the Buffs have never finished with a winning record and reached only one bowl game.

If Hawkins leaves immediately, assistant coach Brian Cabral is expected to take over for the remainder of the season.

jhildebrand
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/ncaa.college.football.2.2001786.html

BOULDER, Colo. (CBS4) ― CBS4 Sports has learned a decision on the fate of CU's Dan Hawkins has been made. He is out as head football coach after five tumultuous seasons in Boulder. All that remains to be announced, when exactly Hawkins will leave.

Sources tell CBS4's Vic Lombardi that Hawkins will address the team at a meeting Tuesday morning. At that time we should learn if he is leaving immediately or if he'll be allowed to finish out the season.

Hawkins' firing has been long expected. Many supporters were actually hoping he would be dismissed at the end of last year. Hawkins' record stands at 19-39. In his five seasons, the Buffs have never finished with a winning record and reached only one bowl game.

If Hawkins leaves immediately, assistant coach Brian Cabral is expected to take over for the remainder of the season.

Brian Cabral is the interim going forward according to KMGH.

Dan Hawkins won't be retained as Buffs head football coach. The official announcement will come on Tuesday during Hawkins' regularly scheduled press conference. Brian Cabral, associate head coach, will be the interim head coach and finish out the season. Cabral has been at CU for 22 years.

www.kmgh.com

Buff
11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I hope they don't let him finish out the season as a lameduck coach... I assume they won't, but nothing would surprise me.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16575544

Colorado's top football recruit of the 2011 class is holding firm to his commitment in the wake of Dan Hawkins' firing.

Brock Berglund, a quarterback out of Valor Christian High School in Highlands Ranch, released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying he remains "as committed as ever to the football program at the University of Colorado."

Berglund committed to CU in early July, citing his close relationship with first-year offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau. He's one of five early commitments the Buffaloes have.

"I have spoken with coach Kiesau and I have an understanding of what the process of finding a new coach looks like," Berglund said. "I am confident that (CU athletic director) Mike (Bohn) will make the decision that is in the best interest for the program while going through this difficult process. I also have confidence that (interim) coach (Brian) Cabral can step in and do a great job until a permanent decision is made."

Berglund and fifth-seeded Valor Christian host No. 12 Widefield in the first round of the Class 4A playoffs on Friday. He's thrown for 12 touchdowns this season while running for six more.

"My primary focus is my academics and preparing for the playoffs in football," Berglund said. "These are certainly difficult times and my prayers go out to coach Hawkins and his family and the entire coaching staff, as well as the players, and the administrators at the university."

Softskull
11-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Personally, I hate seeing Hawk do so poorly. As a fellow UC Davis alum, we dont get many guys that make it big in sports. I think Rolf Benirschka, Ken O'Brien, JT O'Sullivan and Hawk is all we've got.

GEM
11-13-2010, 05:51 PM

Dave Logan is comfortable with recruiting....you don't think Mullen recruits? :lol:

Anywho....great win Buffs!! :D

Nomad
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
CU won big today!!

GEM
11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Dave Logan is comfortable with recruiting....you don't think Mullen recruits? :lol:

Anywho....great win Buffs!! :D

I just wanted to add in, for those that don't follow CO high school football, most of the great teams recruit. Pomona definately, AWest for sure, Standley Lake for damn sure....those are the teams I am familiar with....I know for a fact that they all recruit because my boy was approached by 2 of them. He didn't end up going to either. They don't do it directly....they do it through midget league.

Mullen is even worse because it's a private school who offers scholarships. You don't have to live in their parameters....hell, you don't have to live in any schools parameters with open enrollment. It will be evened out in the next couple years, as open enrollment is ending.

Just thought I should add on to my initial post.

Dave Logan definitely recruits, Mullen is ran much like a University. His success at numerous different schools shows that he very likely could be successful in college ball, just needs a foot in the door.

I would be all for McCartney taking over with Logan his successor.

Nomad
11-20-2010, 08:01 PM
CU on a roll....back to back wins!!

Northman
11-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Im pretty impressed with whoever is filling in for Hawk because he is actually scoring points with the offense.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Im pretty impressed with whoever is filling in for Hawk because he is actually scoring points with the offense.

It is Brian Cabral - a little bit of information on him:

Cabral is a long time veteran of the staff who has consistently churned out strong linebacker units. He has worked for four Colorado head coaches during his tenure, Bill McCartney, Rick Neuheisel, Gary Barnett and now Dan Hawkins. For all seven seasons under Barnett, Cabral also was the assistant head coach, which included a three-month period in 2004 as interim head coach when Barnett was on paid administrative leave.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2010/11/9/1802841/dan-hawkins-fired-Brian-Cabral-interim-coach

I feel sorry for him - he has been on CU's staff for years, and would love to be the HC, but I don't believe he has a chance, even though it has been stated that the players "love" him.

jhildebrand
11-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Cabral will get a more serious look if he beats Nebraska.

Right now the frontrunners are Bienemy and Mac.

Northman
11-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Right now the frontrunners are Bienemy and Mac.

As in Eric? I didnt know he was coaching.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2010, 04:41 PM
As in Eric? I didnt know he was coaching.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-headcoach-job

Nomad
11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-headcoach-job

I'm sure he's ready to get the hell out of dodge in Minnesota:lol:!!

BTW Carol, I'm disappointed in Scott...first Utah then Baylor:tsk:....I thought I could count on him to pull for the teams I pick!!:D (only kidding):)

Nomad
11-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Pssst Carol...........Texas A & M:listen:;):D

Buff
11-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Interesting video made by former CU Buff Ben Burney: http://vimeo.com/17247884