PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith returns to practice.

Melkor
10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
ROD SMITH RETURNS TO PRACTICE by Michael David Smith

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that Broncos wide receiver Rod Smith is back to practice today for the first time since 2006.

The 37-year-old Smith is recovering from off-season hip surgery, and given his age and the severity of the injury, there was a great deal of doubt that he would ever play again. But Schefter reports that Denver expects to activate Smith at some point in the next three weeks.

The return of Smith could lessen the blow of losing wide receiver Javon Walker, who underwent knee surgery that is expected to sideline him for at least six weeks.

Schefter also reports that cornerback Champ Bailey, who has missed time with a quadriceps injury, returned to practice for the Broncos today and is expected to play Monday night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicely copy pasted from ProFootballTalk.

Good to hear about Champ too.

Watchthemiddle
10-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Much needed leadership in pads is always welcome.

Leadership in the locker room, sidelines, and huddle is always a PLUS!!

I don't care if his production is down, but whats the one thing this team has been lacking this year? LEADERSHIP!!

Kieth Burns = Special Teams

Al Wilson = Defense

Rod Smith and - please don't hate me - Jake Plummer = offense.

No one on this board can deny that those 4 were leaders on this team and are now all gone...with the exception of Rod but he is pretty much gone.

This is a good thing to have him back in pads, at practice, and working with the team.

broncofanatic1987
10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
With Walker out for a while, it might be a good thing to get Rod Smith back for the rest of the season. While Walker is out, he could be either the number two or number three receiver. Once Walker returns, I would expect him to be relegated to number four. The only reason I could see him as the number two receiver is that Stokley might be viewed as more valuable in the slot than on the outside. Rod would definitely give us four receivers that defenses have to be concerned about.

I just hope there isn't too much rust to be knocked off before he can be effective on game day.

Melkor
10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
This is a good thing to have him back in pads, at practice, and working with the team.

I think you are right.

Sure, I would be happy if he get out their and played, but having him around the team I think is, at least, just as important.

Having these sort of icons around the team is a really big thing in my oppinion.

Stargazer
10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Good to see him back and trying to play. But, to assume he will start immediately is highly doubtful. If he comes back and make plays, that's great. If he doesn't, it's time to retire.

Tned
10-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Good to see him back and trying to play. But, to assume he will start immediately is highly doubtful. If he comes back and make plays, that's great. If he doesn't, it's time to retire.

Yea, I agree that it would be great to have him back. However, there is a very good chance that he won't be able to displace Marshall or Stokely for the first two WR spots.

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Much needed leadership in pads is always welcome.

Leadership in the locker room, sidelines, and huddle is always a PLUS!!

I don't care if his production is down, but whats the one thing this team has been lacking this year? LEADERSHIP!!

Kieth Burns = Special Teams

Al Wilson = Defense

Rod Smith and - please don't hate me - Jake Plummer = offense.

No one on this board can deny that those 4 were leaders on this team and are now all gone...with the exception of Rod but he is pretty much gone.

Ok while Jake was here he was a leader on the offense, but (as the other shoe falls to the floor) Jay has already been accepted as a leader on offense. The team did make him a captain and given that fact that all three of our wins have come late in games, I'm sure goes a long way to bolstering his position as a leader.

Watchthemiddle
10-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Ok while Jake was here he was a leader on the offense, but (as the other shoe falls to the floor) Jay has already been accepted as a leader on offense. The team did make him a captain and given that fact that all three of our wins have come late in games, I'm sure goes a long way to bolstering his position as a leader.

Hey, no arguement from me on your point.

:beer::beer:

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey, no arguement from me on your point.

:beer::beer:

Thank you very much. :salute:

Tned
10-24-2007, 05:26 PM
They are now reporting that Smith could be activated for Monday's game.

Skinny
10-24-2007, 05:27 PM
From Mason's Blog
“It’s awesome,” John Lynch said. “He’s one of the great teammates I’ve ever been around. I’m glad he was around and stayed vocal and a leader when he was hurt, because he’s kind of the pulse of this team; the heart and soul, whatever you want to call it.

“It’s a comforting feeling when he’s around, but whenever he’s back on the field — I don’t know whether it’s this week or whenever, that place will erupt, and it’s going to be awesome.”'Intangibles' comes to mind when i think of the impact Rod has on this team at this stage of his career.

If he is indeed going to be able to play. . .is he gonna light it up?? Naaaaaaaw. That won't be Rods role. Will he give Jay a reliable target?? I think so. His experiance would be a great asset on third downs and in the red zone for Jay. Especially in the absence of JWalker with having another reliable option to go to in the meantime.

He may not have the step that he once had, but he still has those great set of hands.

Not to mention his impact in the huddle. He could be a HUGE spark for this team if everything goes right for him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 05:58 PM
They are now reporting that Smith could be activated for Monday's game.

That is comforting thought.

BaiLeY324
10-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Best news of the season, to be honest with you.

ROD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krugan
10-24-2007, 07:08 PM
why would anyone wonder if Rod would replace Marshall or Stokely?

Its been said numerous times, Stokely is best when ran in the slot. #1 #2 is irrelevant, and I just dont see why people make it an issue.

Having Rod back would be a blessing, for what ever role he can perform to, in pads on the sidelines, third down reciever, starting beside Marshall,Stoke Javon, the waterboy....

Lonestar
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local_story_297164730.html
Shanahan: Rod Smith 'Could Play This Weekend'

anton...
10-24-2007, 09:04 PM
after losing walker for a few weeks this is the best news we could get atm!!

this will allow stockes to stay in the slot and carve defenses up!!!!!!

and rod aint too bad himself...

:werd:
________
Page live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Page)

broncosfanscott
10-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I am glad to see that he is able to practice regardless of how long. This is just a start and we have three weeks to make up our minds. Slow steps.....no need to rush things.

Tned
10-24-2007, 09:51 PM
why would anyone wonder if Rod would replace Marshall or Stokely?

Its been said numerous times, Stokely is best when ran in the slot. #1 #2 is irrelevant, and I just dont see why people make it an issue.

Shanny actually stated in Monday's press conference that Stokely is wrongly stereotyped as only a slot guy, because while slot guys typically only have quickness and not top end speed, he said Stokely is plenty fast to go deep on the outside. He reminded everyone that this is a guy that was a 4.4 something when he came out of college and that he is still fast.

DenBronx
10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
i picked him up on my fantasy team. :nerd:

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 10:55 PM
i picked him up on my fantasy team. :nerd:

I did too for one my fantasy teams.

topscribe
10-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Shanny actually stated in Monday's press conference that Stokely is wrongly stereotyped as only a slot guy, because while slot guys typically only have quickness and not top end speed, he said Stokely is plenty fast to go deep on the outside. He reminded everyone that this is a guy that was a 4.4 something when he came out of college and that he is still fast.

True. If Rod is good to go, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them put him in
the slot. While they don't have Javon's 4.4 speed out there, they may feel
they need Stokley's 4.4 speed.

-----

pnbronco
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
This is such good news. On the news I just saw the players yelling with him catching a pass on the news. He is a leader and I do think they miss that. Has there even been a starting QB in Denver that has not been a captain?

DenBronx
10-25-2007, 01:22 AM
True. If Rod is good to go, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them put him in
the slot. While they don't have Javon's 4.4 speed out there, they may feel
they need Stokley's 4.4 speed.

-----

rod over the middle with a bad hip?

topscribe
10-25-2007, 01:55 AM
rod over the middle with a bad hip?

Well, if Rod still has a bad hip, he needs to stay the hell off the field, doesn't he?

-----

TXBRONC
10-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, if Rod still has a bad hip, he needs to stay the hell off the field, doesn't he?

-----

Exactly, Shanahan isn't going to put Rod into that situation unless he is healthy.

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Exactly, Shanahan is going to put Rod into that situation unless he is healthy.

you did mean NOT going to put ROD into that situation correct??

BaiLeY324
10-25-2007, 05:06 PM
you did mean NOT going to put ROD into that situation correct??

Hahaha.....

Joel
10-27-2007, 01:59 AM
*drools*

Go, Rod, go; I agree this is the best news I've heard all season, and a welcome change from the litany of "so-and-so is out for the season with an injury; so-and-so is gone because of drugs or driving drunk". It'll be awfully nice to have such a classy contributor back on the field, and with Walker out I fully expect Rod to be one of our two starters unless he's still banged up, which I don't really think he is.

Lonestar
10-27-2007, 11:51 AM
*drools*

Go, Rod, go; I agree this is the best news I've heard all season, and a welcome change from the litany of "so-and-so is out for the season with an injury; so-and-so is gone because of drugs or driving drunk". It'll be awfully nice to have such a classy contributor back on the field, and with Walker out I fully expect Rod to be one of our two starters unless he's still banged up, which I don't really think he is.

I'd guess he is not yet in FOOTBAll shape..