PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Marshall tells his side of domestic violence story

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12489895

Wearing a dark pinstriped suit, white shirt and plum tie, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall sat on the griddle that was an ESPN show this morning.

ESPN's "Outside The Lines" had just finished a report that rehashed his domestic violence incidents with his former girlfriend Rasheeda Watley.

"I would like to say again, I never put my hand on Rasheeda Watley," Marshall said.

The segment reviewed Marshall's numerous police-related incidents with Watley, who said she had first become his girlfriend 12 years ago, when they were both 13 years old.

The report portrayed Watley as the victim of domestic violence and Marshall as an abuser. It played several 911 recordings of a hysterical Watley. It interviewed Watley, who often spoke through tears, and her parents, Clarence and Vienna Watley. Marshall was interviewed live, after the taped report.

While the Watleys were thoroughly questioned about the details of the domestic incidents, ESPN did not ask them about two attorney-drafted letters that sought $500,000 from Marshall in one and $100,000 for the other. ESPN did report the request for the money in exchange for not pressing charges.

"It's evident that this is clearly about money," Marshall said.

Although the Broncos were caught up in the Marshall crossfire, the team declined comment on the report today. Vienna Watley said after one incident, she received a call from Betsy Klein, who was then the Broncos' director of player and organizational development.

"She was calling on behalf of Brandon," Vienna said. "She said Brandon had obviously hit her, assaulted her and he's very upset by it and we needed to understand where he was coming from and he tried to get (Klein) to help him work through it. ... That's what she said, that we needed to give him a second chance."

Said Clarence Watley: "I told Betsy, I said 'you guys put the trophy case in the Broncos organization more than you are valuing the protection and safety of my daughter."'

Klein is no longer employed by the Broncos.

Among the more possible incriminating details in the report was a kitchen knife wound Watley received in her thigh, and an e-mail Marshall sent to Watley. In the e-mail, Marshall wrote to Watley, "please don't take everything away from me."

As for the knife wound, Marshall said today: "Let's talk about the facts here. ... She told the police that she accidently cut herself with the kitchen knife. She also told police that she and Marshall had a verbal dispute but that no physical contact had occurred."

The most recent incident between Marshall and Watley occurred March 6, 2008 in Atlanta. Marshall received misdemeanor battery charges and will go to trial in June.

The ESPN report was aired as the NFL office is reviewing another police-related matter involving Marshall and his current fiancé, Michi Nogami. The couple were arrested following a quarrel on March 1, although charges were dropped by a court judge the next day.

In his interview, Marshall did admit that his numerous incidents would be considered "a problem" by people observing him.

"As a professional athlete there's a certain standard you should uphold," he said. "Me being in the NFL there's a certain image I have to protect. Every day I put in the back of my mind that the NFL shield not only represents me but everyone involved in it."

Marshall has been rehabbing from hip surgery in Orlando, although he returned Saturday night to Denver for the ESPN interview.

honz
05-31-2009, 12:09 PM
You can watch the OTL videos here: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4219170&categoryid=3286128

Italianmobstr7
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
She sounds like a crazy, money grubbing ho to me.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2009, 12:27 PM
She sounds like a crazy, money grubbing ho to me.

Many times - that is what these things are about - MONEY - MONEY - MONEY:tsk:

honz
05-31-2009, 12:30 PM
I want to believe Brandon, but it's hard to really tell who's telling the truth in this case. That woman's story has changed several times which is a good sign of a liar, but there are a lot of separate incidents...

BroncoTech
05-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Money grubbing ho explains the first girlfriend. But there's a pattern developed here with the fiance. Get it together Brandon before we take out the trash.

honz
05-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Money grubbing ho explains the first girlfriend. But there's a pattern developed here with the fiance. Get it together Brandon before we take out the trash.

They were both arrested for arguing in public...and then the charges were dropped almost immediately...

Requiem / The Dagda
05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Brandon broke the cardinal rule here. Say nothin'.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Brandon broke the cardinal rule here. Say nothin'.

I was thinking the same thing - certainly will give her/her lawyers things to try and prove that Brandon is not telling the truth.

BroncoTech
05-31-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm more concerned about a near end zone celebration that would have cost us yardage in a very close game. If he has matured he wouldn't need Stokely over there telling him 'don't do it, don't do it'.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 01:40 PM

I guess as a 13 year old she saw lots of money at the end of the rainbow..:confused:

Is there mental thing there probably but it all comes back Marshall not making very good decisions over the years.. will he get better? only time will tell..

Having a gazillion dollars will that help his decision making probably not.. most of the time that only exacerbates the issue..

The only way I would offer him a new contract is with alot of "rules to live by".. and LOTS of incentives to do well on the field.. for example his current contract was base $400K but he made $2.2 mil last year because he had incentive to do so..

RunYouOver
05-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Anyone watch the interview?

Bob Ley was such a jerk here...for God's sake he didn't even give Brandon a chance from the start. Constantly trying to get him to prove his guilt, and didn't even give him a chance to get his closing statement off without interrupting him.

Benetto
05-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Rodger goodell didn't need a reminder of brandon and his off field BS...Should of just keep quiet about it..IMHO.

Not saying Rodger would have forgotten if not reminded, but he doesn't want shit publicly brought up...I can bet on that.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Rodger goodell didn't need a reminder of brandon and his off field BS...Should of just keep quiet about it..IMHO.

Not saying Rodger would have forgotten if not reminded, but he doesn't want shit publicly brought up...I can bet on that.

Problem is, with her and her parents doing what they did publicly, I would think Brandon felt he needed to tell his side of the story.

underrated29
05-31-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm more concerned about a near end zone celebration that would have cost us yardage in a very close game. If he has matured he wouldn't need Stokely over there telling him 'don't do it, don't do it'.

Why does everyone think it would have drawn a flag? It might not have. It was just a glove that was half white half black.

Regardless, it would have been a stupid move considering how close the game was, but we dont know if it would have been a factor.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Why does everyone think it would have drawn a flag? It might not have. It was just a glove that was half white half black.

Regardless, it would have been a stupid move considering how close the game was, but we dont know if it would have been a factor.

yes it would have gotten a flag in a heart beat.. when you use a prop to celebrate it is an Automatic flag..

I just listened/watched the OTL video.. and overall it shows that Marshall has issues.. stupid for staying with this gal and even dumber for allowing himself to get into situation like these and the TV incident that almost ended his career..

is it immaturity or stupidity..

I know he should not have went on TV to rebut it as IMO being that inarticulate/nervous did him no favors. Whereas she came off pretty damned good.. now was it editing or is she that smooth..

nj10
05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Her parents look like some real winners :rolleyes:

Trying not to be biased here, but I see no evidence to prove that Brandon actually did anything. She showed up in court without the black eye she had the DAY BEFORE! She repeatedly changed her story. The way she changed her story so many times and they kept ending up together, it sounds to me like her and her folks devised a little plan to get some money from his success and every once in a while she'd feel guilty about it...tell the truth...and they'd be back together again. As for his current fiance'...arguments happen and they were stupid to let it happen in public, that looks bad...it looks really bad. But in America one is innocent until proven guilty and I see no real evidence to prove him guilty of anything besides a little stupidity and dating a stupid pathological liar!

honz
05-31-2009, 08:17 PM

They were gonna run that story regardless of whether Marshall defended himself or not...might as well defend yourself.

BroncoTech
05-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Trying not to be biased here, but I see no evidence to prove that Brandon actually did anything. She showed up in court without the black eye she had the DAY BEFORE! She repeatedly changed her story. The way she changed her story so many times and they kept ending up together, it sounds to me like her and her folks devised a little plan to get some money from his success and every once in a while she'd feel guilty about it...tell the truth...and they'd be back together again. As for his current fiance'...arguments happen and they were stupid to let it happen in public, that looks bad...it looks really bad. But in America one is innocent until proven guilty and I see no real evidence to prove him guilty of anything besides a little stupidity and dating a stupid pathological liar!

Well I don't know how you're missing the concept that Brandon gets drunk and beats his woman. In her video we heard heard 911 calls, one of which was a 3rd party, we saw over 10 police reports.

In Brandon's video he admits being drunk and getting into an argument with his fiance. So here's a second woman reporting the same behavior and now it's not a problem with one ex girlfriend it's an alcohol issue. If he wants to party like a rock start he should join a band.

shank
05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Well I don't know how you're missing the concept that Brandon gets drunk and beats his woman. In her video we heard heard 911 calls, one of which was a 3rd party, we saw over 10 police reports.

In Brandon's video he admits being drunk and getting into an argument with his fiance. So here's a second woman reporting the same behavior and now it's not a problem with one ex girlfriend it's an alcohol issue. If he wants to party like a rock start he should join a band.

what video did you watch?

BroncoTech
05-31-2009, 09:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4219131&categoryid=3286128

Both videos playback to back, her's first. This is the same link on page one of this thread.

shank
05-31-2009, 09:50 PM
maybe you should watch them again?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2009, 09:51 PM

Brandon also says he has witnesses (I believe within law enforcement) who confirm that the first woman's story on at least one occasion is not true.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 10:09 PM
They were gonna run that story regardless of whether Marshall defended himself or not...might as well defend yourself.

Yes but you should not look like an inarticulate fools doing so.. that is what agents and lawyers are for.. they get paid to talk he gets paid to catch passes..

if nothing else he should have been prepped and able to answer the questions they knew that were going to be asked..

all that spot did was make him look bad..

Requiem / The Dagda
05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
He looked good to me. Man Brandon was sexy in his suit and tie.

honz
05-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Yes but you should not look like an inarticulate fools doing so.. that is what agents and lawyers are for.. they get paid to talk he gets paid to catch passes..

if nothing else he should have been prepped and able to answer the questions they knew that were going to be asked..

all that spot did was make him look bad..

He looked pretty prepared to me. Brandon obviously isn't the smartest or most articulate guy around, but he had notes on all of the incidents and was able to give the facts without stuttering much at all.

mopatt24
05-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Whats funny to me, is the timing of this report. I think Marshall is due to appear in court next month, and it's about that time for Brandon and the Broncos to start talking big money.

Dirk
06-01-2009, 05:41 AM
There are slime balls for sure, but this one sticks with $$ around the whole thing. If he indeed was physically abusive to her, then he should take what the judge gives him and move on. If it is proven that he didn't, then she should have to pay BMarsh all that coin for ruining his name.

sneakers
06-01-2009, 07:45 AM
I think she just wants money.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I think she just wants money.

Oh sneakers - how can you possibly think that, just because Brandon has two letters - one requesting $100,000 and the other requesting $500,000????????

Joking aside - if that not a form of blackmail?

MOtorboat
06-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Oh sneakers - how can you possibly think that, just because Brandon has two letters - one requesting $100,000 and the other requesting $500,000????????

Joking aside - if that not a form of blackmail?

Yup, but its legal.

There are people on here that could explain it much better than I can, but a civil case doesn't have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, for people to be awarded money...something to that effect.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Yup, but its legal.

There are people on here that could explain it much better than I can, but a civil case doesn't have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, for people to be awarded money...something to that effect.

I understand that, but is that not something that is decided in court - whether someone will be awarded money or not? My thinking was that with her requesting money on two separate occasions, it is like "pay me the money, and I will go away".

MOtorboat
06-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I understand that, but is that not something that is decided in court - whether someone will be awarded money or not? My thinking was that with her requesting money on two separate occasions, it is like "pay me the money, and I will go away".

I would imagine they did it through the legal process, meaning her attorney asking for a settlement, though, so that it was above board. If they didn't do it that way, then yes, that would be blackmail, and Marshall could probably counter-sue.

powderaddict
06-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I wasn't there for any of those events so I don't know what really happened, but I really don't believe either one is completely blameless here.

Too much smoke for there to be absolutely no fire IMO.

rationalfan
06-01-2009, 02:22 PM

yeah, because a 15 yard penalty is so much more damaging than a guy who might, or might not, physically abuse women.

Lonestar
06-01-2009, 03:20 PM

think of it as a partial payment on the commitment Marshall most likely made in telling her her would always take care of her from age 13 till just before their last fight.. in the old days its was breach of promise..

Is it correct NO but there was a time when jilted brides were paid for being jilted..

Lonestar
06-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Yup, but its legal.

instead of "beyond a reasonable doubt" it becomes a "preponderance of evidence".. and in some case it does not require all jurors to agree merely 51%