PDA

View Full Version : Broncos become (slow) believers

Denver Native (Carol)
05-30-2009, 09:55 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12486993?source=rss

New offense one tough lesson

Before the Broncos' new offense is presented on the field through shotgun deliveries and crisscrossing patterns, it is contained by a four-walled room of desks, PowerPoints and three-ring binders.

For most of the offseason, Broncos players have viewed the new playbook as a seventh-grader would trigonometry.

"The most difficult thing for me is learning the different terminology," veteran receiver Brandon Stokley said. "With all the concussions I've had, it doesn't get any easier for me."

"It's one of the most difficult offenses I've been in," veteran center Casey Wiegmann said. "Just because there's so much verbiage."

The offense arrived at Dove Valley by way of Josh McDaniels and the New England Patriots. McDaniels is the Broncos' new head coach after spending the previous three seasons as the Pats' offensive coordinator.

In those three previous seasons, New England averaged 370.8 yards and 28.8 points per game. In that same span, the Broncos — who were transitioning between a quarterback who is now retired (Jake Plummer) and a kid gunslinger who has since been traded (Jay Cutler) — averaged 350.5 yards and a mere 21.0 points.

Bronco players pay enough attention to grasp the success McDaniels had with the Patriots. And they have spent enough time on the field in minicamps and ongoing passing camps to see how sophisticated diagrams and complicated linguistics can translate to a new set of downs and more touchdowns.

"What I like about it," Stokley said, "is the way we do things to get people open."

It is an offense that comes with high-scoring potential, and a steep learning curve.

Kyle Orton, who is competing with Chris Simms to become the Broncos' new starting quarterback, may have said it best when he inferred difficulty helps create productivity.

"They're two of the same," Orton said. "It's a complicated system. But it's one that causes a lot of confusion on the other side of the ball. So, once you understand it, it puts all the confusion on the defense."

Where were the TDs?

McDaniels liked that answer. When he was first hired, there was sentiment he should leave the offense alone. Instead of having 40 players adjust to a new system, let one coach adjust to the old system.

The Broncos, after all, ranked No. 2 in the NFL last year in total offense. But the darker side to the Broncos' offense last season was they finished 16th in scoring. The Patriots, with a quarterback who hadn't started a game since high school, were No. 8 in points. The previous year, with their established quarterback, Tom Brady, the Patriots set the all-time NFL scoring record.

It's good to be smart

McDaniels understands his system pushes his players to the football equivalent of honors classes. But why settle for paper airplanes when you can build rockets?

"That's why the smart player is what we're after," McDaniels said. "We want players who can think and adjust and learn different things. We put things in every morning and expect them to come out here and run it exactly as we talked about. Our guys are doing a better job each day of running it the way we want it run without having five days to get ready to do it."

During the season, players don't get the game plan for that week's opponent until Wednesday morning. They better know every play and every assignment by practice that afternoon.

"You don't give them four days notice," McDaniels said. "So that's what we made passing camp like. Passing camp is no different than the season for us."

Watch the Pats' offense from on high and it looks something like a three-man weave seen on a basketball floor. The quarterback works like a point guard, trailing the play from the shotgun, eyes open.

It's a system that helped Brady go from sixth-round draft pick to three-time Super Bowl champion and certain Hall of Famer. It's a system that helped Matt Cassel go from college backup to a $14.651 million salary.

Multiple hot rods

It's a system built on the quarterback usually operating from the shotgun.

"There's certain things we can do from a protection standpoint that we can't do under center," McDaniels said. "So we use it for that reason. I think it helps the quarterback in terms of his vision, his identification of what's going on. And really what we've learned the last two or three years and expanded on this spring, we can run basically our whole offense from the shotgun. If we want to. We won't do that but we can."

From the shotgun, the quarterback will usually watch a minimum of three receivers cut off the other's heels. The receivers will alternate screening for each other. The tailback and tight end will scoot through their share of checkdown routes.

The quarterback will almost always will have at least one receiver open for a 5-yard gain. Complete enough 5-yarders and eventually the defense, through frustration, will allow the 20-yard seam routes.

"We have so many weapons, and you don't know where anyone is going to line up," said tight end Tony Scheffler. "I think it's going to be like someone who owns a lot of classic cars. You get to go out to your garage and pick one out each day. As a skill-position guy, you have to look at it that you don't know when you're next chance is going to be so you've got to make a play when the ball comes to you."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
After reading that I wonder if jay would have had the skill se to read and react and if so whether he would have the patience to take the 5 yarders to the OPEN guy instead of forcing the ball to covered WR's..

Perhaps he was "encouraged" to leave for a reason..

Shazam!
05-31-2009, 01:03 AM
After reading that I wonder if jay would have had the skill se to read and react and if so whether he would have the patience to take the 5 yarders to the OPEN guy instead of forcing the ball to covered WR's..

Perhaps he was "encouraged" to leave for a reason..

You know as well as I do Josh McDaniels knows nothing about NFL QBs! C'mon!

Benetto
05-31-2009, 03:56 AM
If it took the guys this long to become believers I'm worried...:shocked:

As for Jay....

Cutler is going to have a hell of a time in Chitown....His HC is a defensive minded moron who almost got fired once or twice...Jay's O-coordinator rescinded his college scholarship to Illinois, because he thought Jay sucked...Leaving Jay with a "I told you so A-hole" attitude toward him.

I can predict that will blow up in both their faces, when his coordinator will call him out on a bad decision.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 04:07 AM
If it took the guys this long to become believers I'm worried...:shocked:

As for Jay....

Cutler is going to have a hell of a time in Chitown....His HC is a defensive minded moron who almost got fired once or twice...Jay's O-coordinator rescinded his college scholarship to Illinois, because he thought Jay sucked...Leaving Jay with a "I told you so A-hole" attitude toward him.

I can predict that will blow up in both their faces, when his coordinator will call him out on a bad decision.

actually his OC only wanted him @IL as a safety..

jay got his wish and most likely now is in big do do..

Benetto
05-31-2009, 04:08 AM
actually his OC only wanted him @IL as a safety..

jay got his wish and most likely now is in big do do..

.....Because he thought he sucked as a QB...Thus getting his scholarship rescinded...Correct me if I read about this incorrectly.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 04:14 AM
.....Because he thought he sucked as a QB...Thus getting his scholarship rescinded...Correct me if I read about this incorrectly.

I believe you got it partially right, the facts I heard where I'm not even sure he was offered a scholarship to play QB anywhere but vandy.. I was lead to believe any scholarships offered @ IL was for safety.. But I could be wrong.. Same thing happened @ U of IN.. no one thought his decision making and arm was worth trying at QB..

But I could be wrong.. NIght have early church in the AM..

Benetto
05-31-2009, 04:15 AM
I believe you got it partially right, the facts I heard where I'm not even sure he was offered a scholarship to play QB anywhere but vandy.. I was lead to believe any scholarships offered @ IL was for safety.. But I could be wrong.. Same thing happened @ U of IN.. no one thought his decision making and arm was worth trying at QB..

But I could be wrong.. NIght have early church in the AM..

Have a good one brother...

SR
05-31-2009, 10:20 AM
It all sounds fine and dandy.

WARHORSE
05-31-2009, 10:34 AM
The offense is the offense. Any offense can work with skilled players and executioners. But the reasoning behind mastering a complicated offense in order to confound the defense is sound.

Cutler devoured Shanahans playbook with ease.

All this talk about whether he could master this offense is ridiculous.

Cutlers growth is still in progress, and if he continues on, he will be a stud point blank. He already is anyway. If theres one thing that will hold him back, its his stubborness and attitude.

But thats what maturity is about........learning and growing. With a running game and a good defense, some good WRs.........he will be hell to deal with.

Whether he is patient in McDs offense would definitely be an issue early on.

But winning makes everyone a believer.........

elsid13
05-31-2009, 10:43 AM
What concern me the most is to many snaps out of the shotgun. That limits the runs plays that are needs to keep a defense off balance.

SR
05-31-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm certain McD will find ways to use Moreno.

tripleoption
05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
It all sounds fine and dandy.

Yes, it does sound good, and I like the concepts that McD is putting in. This offensive system has had success in the NFL. Will it work for us? Only time will tell. I sure hope so. However, if there was a perfect offense (or defense) out there, then everyone would be using it.

D1g1tal j1m
05-31-2009, 11:34 AM
The offense is the offense. Any offense can work with skilled players and executioners. But the reasoning behind mastering a complicated offense in order to confound the defense is sound.

Cutler devoured Shanahans playbook with ease.

All this talk about whether he could master this offense is ridiculous.

Cutlers growth is still in progress, and if he continues on, he will be a stud point blank. He already is anyway. If theres one thing that will hold him back, its his stubborness and attitude.

But thats what maturity is about........learning and growing. With a running game and a good defense, some good WRs.........he will be hell to deal with.

Whether he is patient in McDs offense would definitely be an issue early on.

But winning makes everyone a believer.........

It was easy to devour Shan's playbook that consisted of calling a bubble-screen every other play and then rollouts and then chuck it as far as you can the other plays.
There were reports that Jay got offended when McD suggested he had things to work on to get better. These may have been to work on looking off the safeties and working on his progressions. It was clear to McD he could work this offense with a more cerebral QB.

elsid13
05-31-2009, 01:02 PM
It was easy to devour Shan's playbook that consisted of calling a bubble-screen every other play and then rollouts and then chuck it as far as you can the other plays.
There were reports that Jay got offended when McD suggested he had things to work on to get better. These may have been to work on looking off the safeties and working on his progressions. It was clear to McD he could work this offense with a more cerebral QB.

That complete BS. Everyone knows that Shanahan ran very complex offense and gameplans were some of the most difficult to master in the game. I know people feel the need to justify Cutler being shipped out, but let not make things up to meet those agendas.

elsid13
05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
BTW the reason that the system is so difficult isn't because of the plays but the language that used to describe the formation, set, blocking assignment and routes

See the two quotas for example of this:

"The most difficult thing for me is learning the different terminology," veteran receiver Brandon Stokley said. "With all the concussions I've had, it doesn't get any easier for me."

"It's one of the most difficult offenses I've been in," veteran center Casey Wiegmann said. "Just because there's so much verbiage

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 01:31 PM
That complete BS. Everyone knows that Shanahan ran very complex offense and gameplans were some of the most difficult to master in the game. I know people feel the need to justify Cutler being shipped out, but let not make things up to meet those agendas.

While it may have been a very complex playbook jay did not seem to get the idea of looking off DB's nor follow progressions.. SO while maybe smart enough to do so, he was not smart enough to do so in game situations..

I'll bet that Josh picked up on that from coaches still on staff, watching film and jay's attitude..

I guess those that have a jay is GOD agenda may not ever see that..

elsid13
05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
While it may have been a very complex playbook jay did not seem to get the idea of looking off DB's nor follow progressions.. SO while maybe smart enough to do so, he was not smart enough to do so in game situations..

I'll bet that Josh picked up on that from coaches still on staff, watching film and jay's attitude..

Yet more BS. When you have opposing players coaches and former players saying he was best QB in division and talking how talented and smart he was, then I think you really don't have leg to stand on.

Examples:

"He's a great talent," Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said of Cutler. "We watch a lot of (Denver's) film and he can make all the throws. He can run, he's big and strong and I think he's getting better as the years go by."

Asomugha agreed: "I've always felt like Jay was the toughest quarterback for me to go against in the AFC. He's a real confident guy, throws a real nice ball and he's got some targets and he always seems to do well against us so I've got a lot of respect for him"

There was never any discussion by anyone that Cutler wasn't smart hard nose player until this thing blew up between him and McDaniels. Now there is argument by some that Cutler isn't that good and wasn't smart.

I bet if we pulled the thread those are the same people that were upset that Cutler replaced Plummer in the first place.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Yet more BS. When you have opposing players coaches and former players saying he was best QB in division and talking how talented and smart he was, then I think you really don't have leg to stand on.

Examples:

"He's a great talent," Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said of Cutler. "We watch a lot of (Denver's) film and he can make all the throws. He can run, he's big and strong and I think he's getting better as the years go by."

Asomugha agreed: "I've always felt like Jay was the toughest quarterback for me to go against in the AFC. He's a real confident guy, throws a real nice ball and he's got some targets and he always seems to do well against us so I've got a lot of respect for him"

There was never any discussion by anyone that Cutler wasn't smart hard nose player until this thing blew up between him and McDaniels. Now there is argument by some that Cutler isn't that good and wasn't smart.

I bet if we pulled the thread those are the same people that were upset that Cutler replaced Plummer in the first place.

What did you not understand in what I said.. let me say it again and hi-light the pertinent parts..

once again those that were on the jay side of the Jake wars might have a jay is GOD complex also.. jay can do no wrong..

how many times will you admit to jay staring down his primary receiver, throwing into at least double coverage while other receivers were wide open in shorter patterns..

If you can say truthfully that the was SMART then I guess we have nothing to debate..

If I could see and as did most Bronco fans did I'm guessing the current coaches did also while viewing game film.. I'd also guess that dennison and bobby turner also IF asked told the new boss what they knew about him.. and it was not all flattering.. Like some jay lovers would love to believe..

elsid13
05-31-2009, 03:05 PM
What did you not understand in what I said.. let me say it again and hi-light the pertinent parts..

once again those that were on the jay side of the Jake wars might have a jay is GOD complex also.. jay can do no wrong..

how many times will you admit to jay staring down his primary receiver, throwing into at least double coverage while other receivers were wide open in shorter patterns..

If you can say truthfully that the was SMART then I guess we have nothing to debate..

If I could see and as did most Bronco fans did I'm guessing the current coaches did also while viewing game film.. I'd also guess that dennison and bobby turner also IF asked told the new boss what they knew about him.. and it was not all flattering.. Like some jay lovers would love to believe..

Just because you repeatedly post your opinions doesn't make them facts. There are a number of examples were folks can point to actually facts proving that Cutler understood the game and was able to execute on critical plays during the game

Here are some examples

- Cutler performance against Cincinnati in first year - That was playoff game and he performed extremely well
- The game tying drive against SF with concussion that same year
- His performance against Jets last season,when they were extremely hot.
- His drive on the road against Atlanta when he won the game

Did he make mistakes, yes he did, but then all young QB make mistakes and learn from them as they get more experience in the league.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Just because you repeatedly post your opinions doesn't make them facts. There are a number of examples were folks can point to actually facts proving that Cutler understood the game and was able to execute on critical plays during the game

Here are some examples

- Cutler performance against Cincinnati in first year - That was playoff game and he performed extremely well
- The game tying drive against SF with concussion that same year
- His performance against Jets last season,when they were extremely hot.
- His drive on the road against Atlanta when he won the game

Did he make mistakes, yes he did, but then all young QB make mistakes and learn from them as they get more experience in the league.

Yes he did indeed play well at times no doubt about it.. but the facts are in many games he played into the Defense game by repeatedly throwing into double coverage sometimes triple while other WR were Wide and I mean wide 5-15 yards open because he thought he could force the ball into tight spots and in probably 10 of his 17 picks last year they made him pay for it..

I can;t fathom that the new guy did not notice that and during his chats with him prior to him going to the pro bowl and the "trade" fiasco figured out he just may no be trainable or manageable in "his" system..

I also beleive that the other coaches may have conveyed this issue also when asked..

josh just did not say hell lets get rid of jay because is does not like his hair cut.. he had to have more motivation or reasoning than that..

Now I'm sure there are many folks that believe because jay had a rocket arm and he was/is immature, will not get it that he could be the problem and not the solution.. much like thousands of fans of jeff george felt each time he came to a team.. and ultimately became a coach killer..

he was a pro bowl QB that is a fact and he had great games but he also had a few that he stunk it up too..

Simple Jaded
05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Ridiculous.

If Doogie couldn't get Cutler to learn his system then Doogie isn't worth the paper his paycheck is printed on.

Besides, the notion that Doogie came to the conclusion that Cutler is too stupid in the span of two weeks would say more about Doogie's intellect than Cutler's. From the sounds of this article, if that were true Doogie would be trading the entire offense for career backups.

Only in BroncosCountry, my God, Broncos fans are desperate.......

Benetto
05-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Cutler didn't leave because he didn't believe in MCdannyboy...He left because he wasn't treated like the Super hero he thinks he is, then his puppeteer manipulated him in thinking "Why should your backup QB make more than you in 2009, after coming off a 4,500 yard season".

It wasn't hurt feelings or hatred for Doogie...Plus Chitown is a huge market team...Much more attention and publicity..What every kid wants.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Ridiculous.

If Doogie couldn't get Cutler to learn his system then Doogie isn't worth the paper his paycheck is printed on.

Besides, the notion that Doogie came to the conclusion that Cutler is too stupid in the span of two weeks would say more about Doogie's intellect than Cutler's. From the sounds of this article, if that were true Doogie would be trading the entire offense for career backups.

Only in BroncosCountry, my God, Broncos fans are desperate.......

did not say he could not learn the system nor that Josh could not teach it to him....

what I was implying it may not have been worth the effort if he was going to remain making bad decisions..

jay is smart enough to learn it and probably play it, the real question was IF he would.. or was it going to be a gigantic war of the worlds to see who was boss.

sometime you cut your losses early without the hassle, especially IF it is not worth the difference between a "pro bowl, franchise, rocket armed" QB and a mere mortal QB that will take direction, that he CAN and WILL play within the game plan....

I'm just guessing that many of our members here have not had to deal with problem employees before.. and thus have no clue on the path of least resistance..

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Cutler didn't leave because he didn't believe in MCdannyboy...He left because he wasn't treated like the Super hero he thinks he is, then his puppeteer manipulated him in thinking "Why should your backup QB make more than you in 2009, after coming off a 4,500 yard season".

It wasn't hurt feelings or hatred for Doogie...Plus Chitown is a huge market team...Much more attention and publicity..What every kid wants.

You probably are closer to the whys he wanted out of town than most folks are.. afterall he had stated to Pat if he was traded it would be nice to go to the bears as it was his favorite team when he was a kid..

and most EGOS want to play with a BIG market team unlike Den since it is afterall a "cow town"..

Simple Jaded
05-31-2009, 06:33 PM
did not say he could not learn the system nor that Josh could not teach it to him....

what I was implying it may not have been worth the effort if he was going to remain making bad decisions..

jay is smart enough to learn it and probably play it, the real question was IF he would.. or was it going to be a gigantic war of the worlds to see who was boss.

sometime you cut your losses early without the hassle, especially IF it is not worth the difference between a "pro bowl, franchise, rocket armed" QB and a mere mortal QB that will take direction, that he CAN and WILL play within the game plan....

I'm just guessing that many of our members here have not had to deal with problem employees before.. and thus have no clue on the path of least resistance..

Same thing, Cutler is always going to take risks but if Doogie can't get Cutler to make the correct throw for the most part, then Doogie isn't worth the paper his paycheck is printed on. In this case you're assuming that Cutler is incapable of taking coaching, that he is going to do whatever he wants to do regardless of what his coach says.......this would mean Doogie came to the same conclusion in the span of two weeks.

If that is true, then Doogie is a complete idiot.

Btw, I've worked with more problem employees than I care to remember, I have yet to fire my best employee because of ego. Anybody that has ever been in charge of a large group of employees will tell you that the last thing you do is get rid of your best people. You rely on them, you do not wipe your ass with them.......

Dean
05-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Yes, we ran too many screen plays last year but IMO you are way over the top on your assessment of Shanahan's offense. If you get the chance look at some games. I think that you will be amazed at the complexity of routes, blocking schemes, and over-all offense.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Same thing, Cutler is always going to take risks but if Doogie can't get Cutler to make the correct throw for the most part, then Doogie isn't worth the paper his paycheck is printed on. In this case you're assuming that Cutler is incapable of taking coaching, that he is going to do whatever he wants to do regardless of what his coach says.......this would mean Doogie came to the same conclusion in the span of two weeks.

If that is true, then Doogie is a complete idiot.

Btw, I've worked with more problem employees than I care to remember, I have yet to fire my best employee because of ego. Anybody that has ever been in charge of a large group of employees will tell you that the last thing you do is get rid of your best people. You rely on them, you do not wipe your ass with them.......

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Unless I missed the timeline this all did not go down inside of two weeks..

I know that when I was managing the largest Avis operation in the world I had to get rid of a lot of folks over a 6 year period. When some of them were great employees that could not take direction.. I guess in todays touchy feely world things are different..

BTW I can't agree that he was his best player.. something else we will have to agree to disagree on..

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes, we ran too many screen plays last year but IMO you are way over the top on your assessment of Shanahan's offense. If you get the chance look at some games. I think that you will be amazed at the complexity of routes, blocking schemes, and over-all offense.

but Coach it all came down to not getting the job done when we had to.. complex or not when the heat was on IIRC we called a hell of a lot of those WR screens.. and most of the time they were contained..

went from a commanding three game lead with three to go to losing the divsion with an ass kicking..

Dean
05-31-2009, 07:35 PM
but Coach it all came down to not getting the job done when we had to.. complex or not when the heat was on IIRC we called a hell of a lot of those WR screens.. and most of the time they were contained..

went from a commanding three game lead with three to go to losing the divsion with an ass kicking..

It wasn't the 112 points given up in the last three games???

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 07:49 PM
It wasn't the 112 points given up in the last three games???

sure it was but he was part of that also.. lest you forget..

WK OPP RESULT Passing Rushing
Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg
15 @ CAR L 10-30 21 33 63.6 172 5.2 1 1 3 14 74.3 2 9 4.5
16 BUF L 23-30 25 45 55.6 359 8.0 0 1 1 8 72.4 8 30 3.8
17 @ SD L 21-52 33 49 67.3 316 6.4 1 2 0 0 74.9 2 4 2.0

last three games numbers:
73.6 QB rating 2 TD's 3 picks 4 sacks.
2008 year/average
86.0 QB rating avg 25 TD'S 18 Picks 11 sacks

hardly his best 3 games of the year..

Dean
05-31-2009, 08:33 PM

I understand that the offense played poorly. However, the discussion had been about Shanahan's offense not being complex. Then you threw in the statement up above.

Your statement implies that the offense, the WR screens in particular, were responsible for the three game slide and it was IMO a misrepresentation. It went way beyond that.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 09:31 PM
I understand that the offense played poorly. However, the discussion had been about Shanahan's offense not being complex. Then you threw in the statement up above.

Your statement implies that the offense, the WR screens in particular, were responsible for the three game slide and it was IMO a misrepresentation. It went way beyond that.

Pray tell who gives a good dam if they scheme is complex if you fa"l into bubble screens play after play down the stretch.

It then becomes very un complex and easy to defense and to have a 70 szome odd rating throwing a almost automatic completetoin pass. Makes it even worse IMHO

Sent via Blackberry

Elevation inc
06-01-2009, 01:31 AM

yes shannys offense was elite and complex, the problem is he let a naive fool run it in jeremy bates.....bates was the playcaller responsible constant bubble screens and lack of effort to run. we didnt need a franchise runenr to get us a first down on 3rd and 1...we just need to not run a bubble screen. heck even spencer larsen probally could have gotten that yard. problem is bates wanted to be like the patriots spread and throw it up and gets stats and stuff.

Well congrats he succeded in leading one of the most unbalnced offenses in denver history. We were #2 in yds but where it counted SCORING...we were middle tier...lol

Even the patriots elite spread offense was grounded by a run control offense and attack defense in the SB (the giants), perhaps thats why MCD is reported to like the power run game, game managing Qb,s and a attack defense, all of which we are trying to instill in denver. Perhaps MCD realized that even the most potent spread offense still needs a clock control run game and attack defense

I actually wish shanny had gone back to playcalling duties as well. bates was horrible and if cutler was still here i would be giddy that MCD and not bates was in charge of plays......:D