PDA

View Full Version : Simms giving Orton stiff competition at quarterback

Lonestar
05-30-2009, 03:27 AM
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/30/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 05/30/2009 01:41:12 AM MDT

Chris Simms has chucked his way back into the quarterback competition.

For most of the offseason, Kyle Orton appeared to be the front-runner to replace Jay Cutler as the Broncos' new quarterback. It was Orton who had the most recent playing experience, going 9-6 in 15 starts for the Bears last season while Simms hasn't played in nearly three seasons.

"I understand everybody else looking at it that way, but to me it doesn't even matter," Simms said. "Regardless, I'm coming out here trying to do my best, trying to learn the offense and compete. At the end of the day, you do your best and let the coaches make their decision."

Simms clearly got more first-team reps in the passing camp session Thursday that was open to the media.

Has Simms moved ahead of Orton in the quarterback competition?
"No," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "Same thing. Both of them will take reps with the (first team), and we're going to keep doing that until it becomes clear and apparent, and it's not yet. They're both doing some good things, and they're both making some mistakes. When one seems to put himself ahead of the other, then it will be an easy decision."

The front three?

In the three minicamp sessions that have been open to the media, the three defensive linemen who have played the most in the Broncos' 3-4 base defense have been Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean and Ronald Fields.

Broncos fans are familiar with Peterson, who is entering his fourth season in Denver, but may not know much about McBean or Fields. McBean was a fourth-round draft choice of the Steelers in 2007 and spent all of last season on the Broncos' practice squad. Fields started nine games at nose tackle for Mike Nolan's 49ers in 2006. Nolan is now the Broncos' defensive coordinator.

"Both (McBean and Fields) have the characteristics we look for," McDaniels said. "They're going to be physical players that are also active. They're not going to stand in there and do nothing and hold up on the tackle. They're going to move and stunt and pass rush. Those two players have done well for themselves this spring, but there's more than a handful that have done well."

Hold on, kids.

It's way early, but so far veterans are holding off the Broncos' top draft picks for first-string positions.

Correll Buckhalter is the first-string tailback, ahead of first-round pick Knowshon Moreno. Elvis Dumervil and Darrell Reid are at the defensive end positions, ahead of first-round pick Robert Ayers.

Cornerback Jack Williams and nickel safety Josh Barrett are ahead of second-round picks Alphonso Smith and Darcel McBath. And second-round tight end Richard Quinn has spent considerable time observing Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler.

SoCalImport
05-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Simms pushing Orton should be no surprise. I like what Orton bringd to the positions, but I've always thought that Simms has never been given a REAL chance to show what he can do.

McBean. don't know much other than his being drafted by Pittsburgh, and that says something.
I guess Buckhalter (or insert Vet here) starting over Moreno is expected at this point.

Can the season start now???Please!?

Fan in Exile
05-30-2009, 07:48 AM
In some ways I hope that Simms wins the QB battle because I think that he may have a higher upside than Orton. However I could be totally wrong about that as well.

I also like how these OTAs are being run. It really good for morale to have everyone earn their position. It will also give us a good shot at bringing in free agents if everyone knows that the best people are going to be on the field.

McKeough
05-30-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm so excited that Orton who everyone here seems to have deemed the starter already (and has turned into a guarenteed Pro-Bowler) is having trouble beating out Chris Simms, who has started 15 games in his career, thrown 2 passes since having emergency surgery a couple years ago, and has thrown 12 career touchdowns as opposed to 17 interceptions.

:confused:

SoCalImport
05-30-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm so excited that Orton who everyone here seems to have deemed the starter already (and has turned into a guarenteed Pro-Bowler) is having trouble beating out Chris Simms, who has started 15 games in his career, thrown 2 passes since having emergency surgery a couple years ago, and has thrown 12 career touchdowns as opposed to 17 interceptions.

Yeah. I'm a glass half full kinda fan. btw. the article never says that Orton's having a hard time beating out Simms. The two of them sharing snaps with the starting O this early doesn't mean much. new players, new coach = lots of reps all round.

horsepig
05-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Who cares, except phil Simms. Persnally, I like Orton, but Simms could be one of those guys that just needs to be at the right place at the right time.

OrangeHoof
05-30-2009, 03:19 PM
All this really tells me is that the writer doesn't have a clue what's going on. He's paying attention to where and how much everyone is playing which is irrelevant this early in an off-season where *everyone* has to learn a new system.

As for Simms v Orton, Simms has better physical tools but I question his ability to respond to adversity. Orton is less physically gifted but I think is mentally tougher and could be a more accurate thrower. Which ever QB wins the starter's battle will tell me which type of QB McDaniels prefers - one who can throw accurately or one that can throw with more velocity.

Lonestar
05-30-2009, 03:25 PM
All this really tells me is that the writer doesn't have a clue what's going on. He's paying attention to where and how much everyone is playing which is irrelevant this early in an off-season where *everyone* has to learn a new system.

As for Simms v Orton, Simms has better physical tools but I question his ability to respond to adversity. Orton is less physically gifted but I think is mentally tougher and could be a more accurate thrower. Which ever QB wins the starter's battle will tell me which type of QB McDaniels prefers - one who can throw accurately or one that can throw with more velocity.

I think it will show who has a better head on their shoulder in reading defenses and making the right decisions faster.. arm strength is only going to be a factor if everything else is equal.. Which is going to be real hard to be..

LoyalSoldier
05-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I take it John Elway isn't coming out of retirement anytime soon huh?

I just hope we don't end up flipping QBs all season. That would be a nightmare.

BroncoWave
05-30-2009, 05:09 PM

I'm so excited that you seem to take one writer's interpretation on the QB situation as the gospel truth.

WARHORSE
05-31-2009, 10:38 AM
May the best player play.

Fan in Exile
05-31-2009, 10:41 AM

The guy finished a game with a ruptured spleen, what else could he possibly have to do to show his toughness?

broken12
05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
next thing we know niether of the two will be able to get it done and here comes brian griese!! LOL

silkamilkamonico
05-31-2009, 02:31 PM
As for Simms v Orton, Simms has better physical tools but I question his ability to respond to adversity.

I disagree.

He played under more adverse conditions in TB than Orton did in Chicago, or even Cutler here, IMHO.

Even if he only started for a short time, he was drafted into an organization where the new head coach Gruden hated him, was constantly harping on him and making him look foolish in practice, and the guy still was elevated to a starter.

I'm not much of a Simms fan, but he showed he could manage an offense in TB which has been anemic since it's organization started. His main problem will be balls batted down at the LOS, but maybe the spread shotgun that McDaniels runs will help him out.