PDA

View Full Version : concussions

Superchop 7
05-17-2012, 02:12 PM
In a separate study conducted by Boston University’s Centre for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy (CSTE), scientists also discovered that 100% of Football Players included in NFL head injury statistics are found to show dramatic brain damage towards the end of their lives. It should also be noted that NFL Football Players who have experienced concussions also tend to die at a relatively younger age as well. During autopsy, scientists have further commented that the brains of these deceased Football Players also resemble that of a 75 year old man suffering from Alzheimer’s disease due to the massive tangling of their brain tissue.

(source Bruce Hagan)

Superchop 7
05-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Direct hits to the head can cause serious injuries, and modern helmets have generally done a good job of absorbing impact forces that can fracture skulls. Repeated concussions throughout a career, however, may often stem from a different kind of impact.

Certain angles of impact can lead to abrupt rotational forces in the head. The resulting rotation of the head is one of the primary causes of closed head traumatic brain injury, according to Cullen. Rotations around different planes can lead to different biomechanical parameters and injuries varying in severity.

Despite research indicating the importance of these rotation, modern helmets don't absorb rotation well. Helmet standards aren't designed to dampen the blow of forces that cause rotation, and a breakthrough in helmets could come if they accounted for these forces, said Cullen.

source: physics central

Chef Zambini
05-17-2012, 02:19 PM
this is the big elephant in the room that no football enthusiast wants to discuss.
It is going to dramaticly change football in the USA.
and not just the NFL.
these players were taking hits as kids, small consolation for the NFL who will use this fact to reduce their culpability.
HELMETS have to improve, RIDDEL, hello?
astro-turf, hello?
head injury policy.
SOP for the NFL and concussions has to change.
this lawsuit may bring the NFL to its knees, enjoy it while we can.

Superchop 7
05-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Rather than acting like big tobacco and pretend it doesn't exist, I believe it is a time to embrace the problem and improve the game.

Certain jobs have an implied inherant risk.

The NFL simply needs to look at coal miners as an example of how to deal with occupational hazards correctly. In short.....you take care of your people.

Superchop 7
05-17-2012, 02:39 PM
My tribute to Junior.
http://youtu.be/MJDDxHIaaVk

BroncoNut
05-17-2012, 02:49 PM
seems like this is being talked about much more with the Junior Sao incident. just an observation of mine, not meant to incite. Once concussed, the chances for successive ones increases significantly. I dont' know how this will affect the game,. It already has with alot of new rules. I think the NFL has done quite well in keeping heads protected, but the style of the game may have to be overhauled. We may be watching a very different game in a few years. I think it will begin with the receiver and db positions. I don't know what can be done with the running game.

SR
05-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Where are there Broncos players mentioned in this thread?

On a side note, football is a full contact sport where you've got a field full of physical specimens running around. The main objective for defensive players in football is to stop the other team's offense from scoring. The primary means of accomplishing this is to TACKLE the offensive player to stop their progression. Head to head contact is inevitable. You can't prevent or avoid it. One of the inherent risks in playing a full contact sport is a concussion. Accept the risk or don't play the sport.

CrazyHorse
05-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I've always wondered from physics standpoint wouldn't full soft padded helmets be safer? They could absorb the force without the jar from the hard outer shell.

Jsteve01
05-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Crazy Horse i read somewhere that there are at least 5 helmet prototypes which have been proven to be more effective than the current Riddell model utilized in the league. This is my concern. Contracts and tradition seem to supersede concern for the players. As to all the people that are talking about inherent risk etc. I agree but the clincher is this: The players can't choose the best parts to protect themselves. The league mandates that they wear the approved helmet. It's idiotic. To contrast this with the real world. My father in law is a cop. He gets a standard issue vest and side arm. But guess what. The department has no problem with him going out and buying a better bullet proof vest or pistol to protect himself.

Chef Zambini
05-18-2012, 09:09 AM
I've always wondered from physics standpoint wouldn't full soft padded helmets be safer? They could absorb the force without the jar from the hard outer shell.and players nwould be less inclined to use that soft helmet as a weapon !
the only thing that might save the NFL's bacon in all of this is that the vast majority of these players played a full decade of football before entering the NFL.
withholding information about concussions and the failure to recognise helmet alternatives will be their downfall.

SR
05-18-2012, 10:23 AM
While concussions are never a good thing, I fail to see how people are skirting the reality of the situation. Concussions are going to happen in full contact sports, whether it's football, hockey, MMA, whatever. It's the nature of the beast. There is literally nothing that anyone can do to prevent getting concussions. I played ice hockey for the majority of my life and I know for a fact that I've had at least three concussions. Every time I took a blow to the head or felt bad after a game where I might have taken a shot to the head my dad took me to the doc. Problem solved.

dunk7
05-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Judging by the quality of the last few Superchop 7 topics, I'm thinking he should send a sample of his brain to be tested.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2012, 05:10 PM
From article:

The main conclusion of the NIOSH study, which it says was commissioned by the union, is that players in the study had a much lower rate of death overall compared to men in the general population. This means, on average, NFL players are actually living longer than men in the general population which contradicts a popular notion that former NFL players live into their mid-50s.

The study is indeed propagandic, but it includes some extremely interesting data about the lives of NFL players once they leave the game. It will be up to the individual player and reader if they believe the statistics, but this is NIOSH, a part of the Centers for Disease Control, not exactly a slouch of an institution.

The information is also released at a criticial time as the death of Junior Seau and the litany of concussion lawsuits are some of the most talked about issues in sports. This is information that will be digested and debated for months in NFL circles.

full article - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/18992637/government-study-nfl-players-living-longer-than-general-population

BroncoNut
05-29-2012, 01:20 PM
when leather helmets were being used, the game was different. less leading with the head. now it is the lowest man wins.

silkamilkamonico
05-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Ironically, the only person trying to actively address thos situation is Roger Goodell, and every time he penalizes someone for a football play that can argued to be a direct result to concussions, everyone pisses and moans.

I have yet to see one person come up to an actual solution of this, only pointing it out which has been done thousands of times already.

IMHO, there are 2 options:

1 - don't do anything other than informorming youth, parents, and everybody about the sport leading to concussions and that's the way it is.

2 - pussify the sport down considerable.

Is there really an alternative option to take away something legitimately taught in the game? I don't think so.

SR
05-29-2012, 04:51 PM
All anyone can do is make everyone aware of concussions and the damage they cause. I'm all for fining a player if they display intent to injure, hit a defenseless player, etc. FWIW.

Nomad
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm sure it's for every sport in high school, but my sons had to take the ImPact Baseline Screening before being eligible to play football and baseball. I believe it's good for either 2 or 4 yrs.

I know their coaches talk about the chances/risks of concussions and it's part of the game. Whereas when I was in high school from 87-91, it wasn't mentioned. Hell, even heat stroke didn't seem a concern to them.

GEM
05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
If there are 5 prototypes out there that are better for the safety of the players, screw the contract with Riddell. Tell them to meet the standards on the more safe models or the contract is null and void.

In other words....quit bowing to the contract money and put the safety of the players above the money.

Ravage!!!
05-29-2012, 05:40 PM
It sounds right GEM, but you can't just call a contract null and void purely because you want to. Riddell has the right to be the NFL helmet. The NFL can't just "replace" them, because Riddell has PAID the NFL to have those rights. The NFL can't just pay the money back, because Riddell wouldn't want the money back.

Nomad
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Looking at my sons helmets, Riddell and Schutt seem to make a solid, safe products especially if the helmet fits the head of the player properly. I was watching a college game one day and the commentator mentioned something about how many helmets fly off because of improper fitting of the helmets. And that should come to the equation when players get concussions.

Those old Bike helmets sucked.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Ironically, the only person trying to actively address thos situation is Roger Goodell, and every time he penalizes someone for a football play that can argued to be a direct result to concussions, everyone pisses and moans.

I have yet to see one person come up to an actual solution of this, only pointing it out which has been done thousands of times already.

IMHO, there are 2 options:

1 - don't do anything other than informorming youth, parents, and everybody about the sport leading to concussions and that's the way it is.

2 - pussify the sport down considerable.

Is there really an alternative option to take away something legitimately taught in the game? I don't think so.better helmets, better SOP for anyone that may be concussed.
a change in the macho of players who do get their 'bell rung".
again I remind you all that these players have typically sen a decade of full contact football before entering the NFL.
on a lighter note, jmarcus russel tried to join the concussion law-suit, the attorneys informed him he would have to show proof that he actually has a brain to qualify.