PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith to the Ring of Fame

GEM
05-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Just got a text from Channel 4 that Rod Smith to the Ring of Fame at Sept 23rd game vs. Texans.

Woooo!! :D

Superchop 7
05-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Hell YES !

Krugan
05-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Just got a text from Channel 4 that Rod Smith to the Ring of Fame at Sept 23rd game vs. Texans.

Took them long enough!

Grats to Rod

MileHighCrew
05-17-2012, 02:03 PM
The should have Smith and Eddie Mac side by side

shank
05-17-2012, 02:13 PM
rod and eddie are and forever will be my idols. get rod back involved with the organization day to day!

dogfish
05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
:salute: :salute:

Ravage!!!
05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
He absolutely deserves it. :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Former Broncos wide receiver Rod Smith, who set every major receiving record with the club from 1994-2007, has been elected the 23rd member of the team's Ring of Fame.

"You couldn't ask for a better teammate than Rod Smith," Broncos exeuctive John Elway said in a team statement. "His work ethic, the way he competed and the positive influence he had on others were all qualities that made him one of the best. What a great Bronco who is so deserving of being honored as a member of the Ring of Fame."

Smith was a three-time Pro Bowl selection (2000-01, '05). He played 183 regular-season games (158 starts) over 12 seasons while setting franchise records in receptions (849), receiving yards (11,389) and receiving touchdowns (68).

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_20646396/receiver-rod-smith-elected-broncos-ring-fame

Broncfan1970
05-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Definitely well deserved!!!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2012, 02:56 PM
http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/05/photos-rod-smith-of-the-denver-broncos-elected-to-broncos-ring-of-fame/35944/

Chef Zambini
05-17-2012, 03:08 PM
I appreciate the fact that thgey chose the TEXANS game so that KUBIAK can be on hand for the festivities, I know he will be in the locker-room during the actual half-time ceramony, but it will still be nice for him to be on hand before and after the game to offer his salutations in person to one of the bronco all time greats,
maybe top ten ever denver bronco?
is rod smith in your top ten?

Tned
05-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Well deserved. He was a great Bronco.

Northman
05-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Congrats Rod. \m/

rationalfan
05-17-2012, 03:44 PM
i don't think it's a coincidence that the broncos' freefall into absurdity coincided with smith's retirement in 2007. the guy was the model of consistency and, it appeared, a true team leader who kept things straight.

topscribe
05-17-2012, 03:57 PM
'Bout time . . .

Day1BroncoFan
05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Congrats to Rod.

:salute:

drewloc
05-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Way to go Rod! Definitely well deserved, all of these young guys can use your professionalism and dedication as an inspiration. :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Congratulations to Rod :salute: Well deserved for a great player, and great teammate.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2012, 05:43 PM
The 23rd member of the Denver Broncos' Ring of Fame is one of the most renowned hard workers in team history.

Rod Smith went from an undrafted free agent to a two-time Super Bowl winner and leader of the franchise in Denver. It's no surprise Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and the selection committee have given Smith the team’s greatest honor by inducting him into the Broncos’ Ring of Fame. He is the first person to be inducted in three years.

Smith’s induction ceremony will be Sept. 23 at halftime of the Broncos’ home game against the Houston Texans. It’s probably not a coincidence Smith will be inducted against the Texans. Houston coach Gary Kubiak was Smith’s longtime offensive coordinator in Denver.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/44265/rod-smith-worked-his-way-to-ring-of-fame

Shazam!
05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Thank you Rod, for all your contributions and work ethic. Your greatness will be forever inscribed in Denver Broncos legend.

NorCalBronco7
05-17-2012, 05:46 PM
He embodies everything the Broncos are about. For a WR to be as unselfish as he was is remarkable. Really happy for him.

tomjonesrocks
05-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Jeez. He's not in already?

Tough honor to get. Total no brainier. Sheesh. Rod's Bronco royalty.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2012, 10:27 PM
They aren't brothers, but in many ways they learned life from the same man.

And when the newest member of the Broncos' Ring of Fame, former wide receiver Rod Smith, celebrated Thursday with a series of text messages with Brian Heimerdinger, the topic was Mike Heimerdinger, Brian's father and former Broncos assistant coach who died of cancer last year.

"I told him (the honor) was his fault, he shared his dad with me, his family with me," Smith said on a conference call. "If it wasn't for Mike Heimerdinger I can promise you we wouldn't be on the phone right now."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20646396/receiver-rod-smith-elected-broncos-ring-fame

LTC Pain
05-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Rod's jersey hangs in my closet. He embodies everything I've ever wanted to see in a professional athlete - hard work, dedication, leadership, team attitude, etc. Rod is the complete opposite of the "it's all about me" athletes of today. We graduated from the same college Missouri Southern State College in Joplin, MO :)

Cugel
05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Rod Smith was a total professional in a way that few WRs today are. He didn't get all that many catches by Hall of Fame standards so when you look at the stat sheet it looks like he was just another guy, but he did get a ton of important ones. He wasn't the fastest WR and guys like Brandon Marshall are head and shoulders more athletic and skilled.

But, none of them has his preparation, his work ethic and approach to the game. He knew where the open hole was in the defense and would get to it and get open Elway needed a target.

He had game speed, not straight line sprinter's speed. He had tough hands to hold onto the ball.

If you could bottle a WR he'd look a lot like Rod Smith. There's not one guy on the roster today who's that good and it's not because none of them has his talent level.

They mostly all have his talent level. They don't have his mind though and that makes all the difference.

CoachChaz
05-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Definitely deserved...as his induction into the NFL HoF should be.

TXBRONC
05-18-2012, 08:49 AM
His stats are every bit as good as Michael Irvin's numbers. Irvin had more yards but Smith had more catches and touchdowns.

Dzone
05-18-2012, 09:08 AM
How can anyone not have complete admiration for a dude who has been nothing but a class act all the way since day 1

Chef Zambini
05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Rod Smith was a total professional in a way that few WRs today are. He didn't get all that many catches by Hall of Fame standards so when you look at the stat sheet it looks like he was just another guy, but he did get a ton of important ones. He wasn't the fastest WR and guys like Brandon Marshall are head and shoulders more athletic and skilled.

But, none of them has his preparation, his work ethic and approach to the game. He knew where the open hole was in the defense and would get to it and get open Elway needed a target.

He had game speed, not straight line sprinter's speed. He had tough hands to hold onto the ball.

If you could bottle a WR he'd look a lot like Rod Smith. There's not one guy on the roster today who's that good and it's not because none of them has his talent level.

They mostly all have his talent level. They don't have his mind though and that makes all the difference.you neglected, or should I say FORGOT to mention his contributions as a blocker.

Chef Zambini
05-18-2012, 09:17 AM
aghain I ask,
"do you consider ROD SMITH a top ten bronco? "

Denver Native (Carol)
05-18-2012, 10:57 AM
When he watched his quarterback go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2004, Rod Smith wondered if his bust would be bronzed next to John Elway’s some day.

Now that he's entered the Denver Broncos’ ring of fame, the rag-to-riches receiver still wonders if he will end up in the Canton, Ohio museum.

It’s an interesting question. Will Rod Smith be a Pro Football Hall of Famer?

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/44289/is-rod-smith-hof-worthy

EastCoastBronco
05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I can still hear the music from my NFL Films "Super Bowl 33" VHS tape for the throw from Elway to Smith for that huge TD.
It builds up slowly with Elway, Shanny and Kubes going over photos of the Falcons defence,finding the weak spot and picking the perfect play.
Then it shows the snap of the ball.
Then Shanny saying "There it is...it's gonna be wiiide open" (or something along those lines).
Then they show Rod toasting Eugene Robinson's ass in slo-mo about 20 times.

Classic stuff.

Ring of Fame. Good for you Rod.

I can't find a DVD copy of that anywhere...

BroncoWave
05-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I can't find a DVD copy of that anywhere...

NFL Network shows stuff like that alot. If you have DVR I'd keep an eye out an record it. The "America's Game" series shows that one from time to time.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-18-2012, 05:25 PM
While it’s an honor, it doesn’t quite measure the true weight of Smith’s contributions to the Broncos from 1994-2008.

There are no “Employee of the Month” plaques displayed anywhere at Broncos headquarters. If there were, they would have been useless, because for more than a decade, the only name displayed would have been Rod Smith’s.

And if it sounds like I’ve written something similar before, I have, in August 2003:

Other companies have plaques with pictures, honoring their Employees of the Month. For the most dutiful of corporate servants, there are repeated spots on the plaques over the years, enough to allow observers to view just how that loyal worker’s hairline receded over the years. There’s no such plaque in the Broncos’ office — just the media guide, which hadn’t borne a player’s picture on the front since the year after Terrell Davis earned league MVP honors. That is, until this year, when Smith graced the cover.

rest - http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/05/17/somehow-the-ring-of-fame-just-isnt-enough-for-rod-smith/

EastCoastBronco
05-19-2012, 06:33 AM
NFL Network shows stuff like that alot. If you have DVR I'd keep an eye out an record it. The "America's Game" series shows that one from time to time.

Good call.
I was just hoping I could find the exact copy of the 1999 NFL films version. You know the one I'm talking about. They put them out every year after the Super Bowl and they chronicle the path that the team took to the Super Bowl. I always liked them because they contained a ton of the in-game play by play commentary from KOA radio. I'm not sure what the announcer's name is but he's always saying "Are you kiddin' me?"...;-)

Thanks for the heads up Ravage...

Nomad
05-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Congrats Rod and well deserved, though I thought you were already up there.

broncobryce
05-20-2012, 01:50 PM
He deserves the hall of fame, but won't get in due to the logjam at WR.

BORDERLINE
05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
While I have dropped major bucks on a Elway jersey, Rod is the only other one I have done the same for and only a handfull of the ones I would. A true legend in Broncos history and this is well deserved