PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the NFL: Insider grading on every franchise-Broncos #29

roomemp
05-29-2009, 09:53 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9601836/Ranking-the-NFL:-Insider-grading-on-every-franchise

29. Denver Broncos
Final Score: 31.0
What happens when you trade a franchise quarterback, sink morale in an organization, screw up a draft and chase out valued front-office staffers? You become a coach on the hot seat before your first ever game. Josh McDaniels has ruined this organization. Denver has lost a lot of excellent talent at quarterback, head coach and on their public relations staff in the last 365 days.

We just are not getting any love. Opinions?

broncofaninfla
05-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Yikes! It's sad but a lot of people see it this way. All Denver has to do is win and McD becomes a genius.

Flatinum
05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Ruined the organization?

Last time I checked the Broncos have been nothing but a mediocre team the past 3 seasons.

LRtagger
05-29-2009, 10:12 AM
LOL

I must have forgotten about all those Super Bowls and division titles we have won in the last 10 years.

Dortoh
05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Once again my theory that stupid sells is proven true.

On the other hand Denver and McD have alot to prove.

NickelTG
05-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Outside of Denver fans,a lot of people feel the same way.Not everyone agrees that Mcdaniels is taking this organization in the right direction..

underrated29
05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
those rankings are FUBAR like crazy....

We are not the 3rd worst team in the league. We are going to go 10-6 this year.

Also atl,GB,Mia, are ranked way the f too high.... The saints, jets,vikings are ranked way the f too low.

My top 3 afc teams for the superbowl:

pats
bolts
steel

NFC:
saints
bears
Eagles

Some of these teams werent even close to top 10.

D1g1tal j1m
05-29-2009, 11:15 AM
The low ranking is all pretty much based on us trading Cutler. Just read what they posted about why the Bears are ranked at 15:

15. Chicago Bears
Final Score: 57.5

Jay Cutler helped the Bears stock improve significantly. But before the blockbuster trade, the Chicago ownership could most certainly be described as frugal. Actually, Cutler raised the grade for quarterback (8.5), front office (6), owner (6), and intangibles (8) as the team's esteem is sky high after the Cutler deal.

The ranking criteria they used are completely skewed because of one player. There is too much east coast bias in this story to even take it seriously. This is bs and I don't think the Broncos are going to be the 4rd worst Organization in Football.

silkamilkamonico
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
sink morale in an organization

LMAO

What an idiot. I would say morale sunk to an all time low last season when we became the biggest joke via 3 week collapse in the history of the NFL, missing the playoffs again, and pulling a typical Mike Shanahan late season failure, and underachieving season, again.

eessydo
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Glad to see everyone so positive....and it will be positive until week 3 when we are still above .500 after a win against cinci a loss a cleveland and a win against the raiders. BUt mark my words....it will all change after week 4. Beer sales will go up because we will all need to drink the pain away.

Hell, if we lose week 3....we can just pretty much mail it in the rest of the season because it is not getting any easier. We are a sad sack of a football team.

Let me remind you also that most of our star players will probably end up leaving in FA after what they did to cutler. You think B. Marshall and Eddie Royal are going to stick around?? Do you think Clady will hunker down that LT spot forever? They just watched their boy get whacked and corporate culture dictates that when they are willing to whach the best thing on the team.....other people just start looking for new places to work where they will be more appreciated.

We are screwed......but at least you guys make me feel positive until it happens.

Dortoh
05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Glad to see everyone so positive....and it will be positive until week 3 when we are still above .500 after a win against cinci a loss a cleveland and a win against the raiders. BUt mark my words....it will all change after week 4. Beer sales will go up because we will all need to drink the pain away.

Hell, if we lose week 3....we can just pretty much mail it in the rest of the season because it is not getting any easier. We are a sad sack of a football team.

Let me remind you also that most of our star players will probably end up leaving in FA after what they did to cutler. You think B. Marshall and Eddie Royal are going to stick around?? Do you think Clady will hunker down that LT spot forever? They just watched their boy get whacked and corporate culture dictates that when they are willing to whach the best thing on the team.....other people just start looking for new places to work where they will be more appreciated.

We are screwed......but at least you guys make me feel positive until it happens.

Dont do it ;)

http://www.hostmoon.net/~bumblebe/storage/ben%20-%20don%27t%20jump.jpg

LRtagger
05-29-2009, 02:54 PM

LMAO

While we're at it, we should just forfeit all the rest of our draft picks for the next 20 years...I mean, who is going to want to be drafted by and play for the Denver Broncos? I mean, they made Jay Cutler cry!! Who would do such a thing???

Might as well just cut Clady, Royal, Marsh, Champ, DJ, and Knowshon. Also let's call it a year after week 3....no sense in going out there on Sundays to compete since everyone knows we are going to lose anyways.

Now if you will all excuse me I am going to crawl under my desk and assume the fetal position while I wait for Josh McDaniels to get fired and for this organization to get back to its tradition of 8-8 seasons, terrible defenses, and playoff absences.

GEM
05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
LMAO

What an idiot. I would say morale sunk to an all time low last season when we became the biggest joke via 3 week collapse in the history of the NFL, missing the playoffs again, and pulling a typical Mike Shanahan late season failure, and underachieving season, again.

Agree. What do you think the defense was feeling when DJ out and out said that they felt like 2nd class citizens...was morale high then? :confused:

GEM
05-29-2009, 03:32 PM

The NFL isn't about appreciation....oh wait....when you WIN you get appreciated. Jay didn't do a whole lotta winning though.

NightTrainLayne
05-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh man. That's good for a laugh. I wish there was a way to revisit this with foxsports.com later on. I'd love to watch them eat crow.

We're certainly not a top-tier team right now, but by the same token, trading away Cutler didn't all of a sudden mark us down to #29.

NameUsedBefore
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM
We don't have a starting QB.

We don't have a NT making a first year switch to 3-4. In fact, we don't have any defensive linemen.

Our linebackers outside of DJ consist of journeymen and defensive-linemen.

We didn't actually fix a single damn thing from last year, we threw away the starting QB, drafted a RB that we didn't need, and took another player in the Jarvis Moss mold.

I get being optimistic, but come on. Are you kidding me? I dare anyone to look around the league, find another team with a god-awful defense and no starting QB looking at a brutal schedule and tell me they're going to do alright. Our only saving grace is that our own division is about just as shitty as we are. If we played in a competitive division like the NFC East we'd be smoked right out of the gates.

Shazam!
05-29-2009, 04:08 PM

He isn't as physically gifted as Cutler, but he has plenty of starting experience, so that's wrong.

We don't have a NT making a first year switch to 3-4. In fact, we don't have any defensive linemen.

Ron Fields can fit the bill and knows what Nolan will want to do. Superstar? No. A big capable body? Yes. We'll see if he starts, he should.

Agree here, but you could probably be better than Nate so no loss there.

We didn't actually fix a single damn thing from last year, we threw away the starting QB, drafted a RB that we didn't need...

Ummm, Broncos fans have been rightfully complaining about the desperate need for a feature Back for years. They got one. How that isn't filling a need, I don't know how you can say that. Was it the biggest need, no. But they filled a hole.

I get being optimistic, but come on. Are you kidding me? I dare anyone to look around the league, find another team with a god-awful defense and no starting QB looking at a brutal schedule and tell me they're going to do alright. Our only saving grace is that our own division is about just as shitty as we are. If we played in a competitive division like the NFC East we'd be smoked right out of the gates.

Again, Denver has an experienced starting QB. They went 4 years winning with Jake Plummer, who'll never be confused with any top flight QB. Chad Pennington played well in his first season with Miami coming off a 1-15 year didn't he?

Teams take a step back every year. There is no guarantee any team in the NFCE is going to be a worldbeater. That's why despite how tough the schedule looks, it is questionable how good all of Denver's opponents will be.

As far as the D goes, if Nolan moves to a more aggressive scheme and abandons the smoke-and-mirror boloney (and CBs playing 10 yards back) we've all seen too much of the last 2 years, that alone can move the defense to a middling squad and will save Denver some games as opposed to blowing them.

I have faith. Not overly optimistic, but I know it can happen because we've seen worse teams bounce back with a change of leadership.

NightTrainLayne
05-29-2009, 04:09 PM

We didn't actually fix a single damn thing from last year, we threw away the starting QB, drafted a RB that we didn't need, and took another player in the Jarvis Moss mold.

Orton did a pretty good job without much help on the offensive side of the ball in Chicago last season.

He's not Jay Cutler, but to say that we "don't have a starting QB" is taking it a bit far. We do have a NT in Fields. The rest are rookies, or converting to another position, so it's difficult to argue until we actually see them on the field, but we're still not #29 in the league.

Shazam!
05-29-2009, 04:13 PM
The rest are rookies, or converting to another position, so it's difficult to argue until we actually see them on the field, but we're still not #29 in the league.

I'll take 10 rookies w/Champ after what we've seen last year. It's hard to see a worse defense with a bonafide DC.

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 04:16 PM
tried to link to what he actually said about us but all I got was done with errors on page.. could someone cut and paste it for me..:salute:

BTW lets not get our egos bruised because frankly we are not yet NE and therefore the east coast writers are not going to give us any respect .. But frankly I'd rather fly under the radar for awhile while we rebuild this gutted team..

GEM
05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
tried to link to what he actually said about us but all I got was done with errors on page.. could someone cut and paste it for me..:salute:

BTW lets not get our egos bruised because frankly we are not yet NE and therefore the east coast writers are not going to give us any respect .. But frankly I'd rather fly under the radar for awhile while we rebuild this gutted team..

We could go 13-3 and still never get any respect....oh wait. We did that and even then, we got no respect. Where my original screen name came from. Giveemlove, joined in 2005...picked the name cause no matter how well we did, nationally they never gave us any love.

horsepig
05-29-2009, 05:07 PM
That list is comopletely nuts. What a f idiot. For just one example: the Broncos are the only team over the last 30 some years to have never "earned" a top 10 draft pick.

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 05:22 PM
can someone cut and paste it in here? Pleeeeease

LRtagger
05-29-2009, 07:54 PM

You're right...I mean what is Josh thinking? I know if I were the coach I would have pulled a pro-bowl NT and two pro-bowl DE's out of thin air...also would have sharted out a couple pro-bowl LBs, too.

Come on, we all know this franchise is rebuilding but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that the team was anywhere close to elite when Mike was here. To say Josh flushed this proud franchise down the toilet is completely ignorant to the fact that Shanny didn't do crap for 10 years (10 years is a LONG time). For some reason people think Mike Shanahan is some sort of god because he took below mediocre talent and ended the season with a mediocre record and won 2 Super Bowls 10 years ago. What they fail to realize is Mike was the one bringing in the below mediocre talent (and paying them above mediocre money I might add).

People like to remember how great our offense was through the first three weeks last year, but they soon forget how terrible it was against teams like NE, Jax, and every game down the stretch. And the defense has never been elite with Mike as HC.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Mike as a HC, but to say we went from a top 10 or top 15 team to a bottom three team just because we lost Mike and Cutler is absolutely retarded. We have two of the best defensive minds of this time on our staff and an offensive coach that orchestrated the best offense in NFL history. Let's give them a little credit. Surely they know more than these 2nd-tier beat writers.

I dont think we will be winning any Super Bowls next year, but I'll bet Seattle doesn't have the #3 overall pick.

NameUsedBefore
05-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I didn't mention anything about Mike.

Now, as I said, we don't have a starting QB. We don't. Period. It could be either Orton or Simms, the fact neither is clearly defined says to me we have a hole at QB similar to, say, the Buccaneers awhile back. You can think that because one of them will eventually have to be the starter that we then "have one", but I don't buy it. If your QB isn't clearly defined now then the position is clearly a crapshoot. Yeah, that typically doesn't bode well for most teams. Luckily for the Buccaneers they had a solid defense to make up for it -- where's ours?

Well Ron Fields was brought up, but even then, I quote,

We'll see if he starts, he should.

That isn't very definitive.

But of course it isn't. Only one player was named and apparently "if" is good enough. Well if it isn't, who is behind him? It makes me laugh. You can't just jump into the 3-4 and go along swimmingly if you don't have a NT. The Broncos don't even have a defensive line.

The RB wasn't a need. A RB who could stay healthy was. We could plug any running-back in there last year and he could pop off easy runs -- as the YPC is often brought up, 3rd in the league IIRC. The issue wasn't the runners ability, it was their health. While the running-game was lacking health but having an easy go of it while healthy, the other issue was that it was being abandoned by the 2nd-half because our defense was getting blown away.

Now I will mention Shanahan and not to correct many of the false statements made about him: What about signing a bunch of journeymen, over-reaching on players in the draft, and typical acts of unnecessary cronyism (bye, Leach) sounds any different than a typical Shanahan off-season?

While you all will point to every article that comes out saying it's bullshit, there is kind of a reason there is a general consistency in the media saying the Broncos are going to be crap this year. If this was any other team there is no way in hell you'd say this assessment was wrong. I'm sorry, but when I take off the rose-colored glasses for a bit this team looks fairly god-awful to me. It really does and when the beat-writers say McDaniels is going to have to work a miracle to get it to work I agree 100%.

broncfn90
05-30-2009, 11:26 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9601836/Ranking-the-NFL:-Insider-grading-on-every-franchise

29. Denver Broncos
What happens when you trade a franchise quarterback, sink morale in an organization, screw up a draft and chase out valued front-office staffers? You become a coach on the hot seat before your first ever game. Josh McDaniels has ruined this organization. Denver has lost a lot of excellent talent at quarterback, head coach and on their public relations staff in the last 365 days.

too true too true.... good job McD you really screwed us over.... and pat gets some of the blame too

broncfn90
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM

I second this

broncfn90
05-30-2009, 11:41 AM
You're right...I mean what is Josh thinking? I know if I were the coach I would have pulled a pro-bowl NT and two pro-bowl DE's out of thin air...also would have sharted out a couple pro-bowl LBs, too.

Come on, we all know this franchise is rebuilding but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that the team was anywhere close to elite when Mike was here. To say Josh flushed this proud franchise down the toilet is completely ignorant to the fact that Shanny didn't do crap for 10 years (10 years is a LONG time). For some reason people think Mike Shanahan is some sort of god because he took below mediocre talent and ended the season with a mediocre record and won 2 Super Bowls 10 years ago. What they fail to realize is Mike was the one bringing in the below mediocre talent (and paying them above mediocre money I might add).

People like to remember how great our offense was through the first three weeks last year, but they soon forget how terrible it was against teams like NE, Jax, and every game down the stretch. And the defense has never been elite with Mike as HC.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Mike as a HC, but to say we went from a top 10 or top 15 team to a bottom three team just because we lost Mike and Cutler is absolutely retarded. We have two of the best defensive minds of this time on our staff and an offensive coach that orchestrated the best offense in NFL history. Let's give them a little credit. Surely they know more than these 2nd-tier beat writers.

I dont think we will be winning any Super Bowls next year, but I'll bet Seattle doesn't have the #3 overall pick.

so T.D, Atwater, Smith, Eddy, Sharp, Elway, Neal Smith and a bunch of others were medicre players?

Oh by the way we cant be the best offense in histroy when we just gave away theQB that made it happen with no running game

Lonestar
05-30-2009, 11:51 AM
so T.D, Atwater, Smith, Eddy, Sharp, Elway, Neal Smith and a bunch of others were medicre players?

Oh by the way we cant be the best offense in histroy when we just gave away theQB that made it happen with no running game

I believe he was referring to Josh being the OC the year brady and moss rewrote all the yardage and scoring records not when mickey was hc during the SB years over a decade ago in DEN.

BTW try using mulitquote.

Simple Jaded
05-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Broncos fans might want to get used to this, nobody is buying Doogie's bullshit, nobody but you.

Kyle Orton is a stiff, it took him four years to play earn a starting job on a team that has been begging for a QB for decades, hopefully Doogie can work his System QB Whisperer magic and turn Orton into something he has never been.

Denver's only hope is for Doogie to be the Football God that he and Broncos fans are convinced he is.......good luck with that, but most objective people will believe it only when they see it.......

silkamilkamonico
05-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Broncos fans might want to get used to this, nobody is buying Doogie's bullshit, nobody but you.

I think it's more just hope. We've been buying into Shanahan's bull$hit the last 10 years, we're welcome to the idea of anybody else's failures at the moment. If Doogie happens to succeed, it's like the piece of chocolate at the end of the sundae cone.

Lonestar
05-30-2009, 03:13 PM
I think it's more just hope. We've been buying into Shanahan's bull$hit the last 10 years, we're welcome to the idea of anybody else's failures at the moment. If Doogie happens to succeed, it's like the piece of chocolate at the end of the sundae cone.

I think we have just as good a chance with Josh as we would have had with mike and his failed ideas..

mike had his chance the past 10 years to right the ship but he failed especially the past 3 years and he had carte blanc in getting it done.. but it has been a FUBAR IMHO since Robinson left.. NO strong defensive guy to counter the BS that mike put out.... only yes men, until bates was hired and we all saw how fast that was beat down,..

Shazam!
05-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Now, as I said, we don't have a starting QB. We don't. Period. It could be either Orton or Simms, the fact neither is clearly defined says to me we have a hole at QB similar to, say, the Buccaneers awhile back. You can think that because one of them will eventually have to be the starter that we then "have one", but I don't buy it. If your QB isn't clearly defined now then the position is clearly a crapshoot. Yeah, that typically doesn't bode well for most teams. Luckily for the Buccaneers they had a solid defense to make up for it -- where's ours?

NuB, again- Orton is an experienced NFL Starter. Nobody thinks he is going to be the next John Elway, or hell, even Jay Cutler. He can't even be called a journeyman yet because this is only his second stop. Josh knows QBs, and you can't dispute that. If he thinks Orton is good enough to start, I will believe him until I see him fail miserably on the Field. Orton is the guy.

Well Ron Fields was brought up... Only one player was named and apparently "if" is good enough. Well if it isn't, who is behind him? It makes me laugh. You can't just jump into the 3-4 and go along swimmingly if you don't have a NT. The Broncos don't even have a defensive line.

Again, he's a young experienced NT who knows Nolan's defense, who is closer to any NT they have right now. He should be the starter in a 3-4. I know you're not disputing that, but that's why he was brought in here. Also, a new DLine Coach and Coordinator alone can work wonders, regardless of personnel.

The RB wasn't a need. A RB who could stay healthy was. We could plug any running-back in there last year and he could pop off easy runs -- as the YPC is often brought up, 3rd in the league IIRC. The issue wasn't the runners ability, it was their health. While the running-game was lacking health but having an easy go of it while healthy, the other issue was that it was being abandoned by the 2nd-half because our defense was getting blown away.

I have a feeling that if Denver didn't bring in a Back through the Draft you'd question the RB position, how Jordan isn't the answer, how RBBC isn't a good idea, and how they don't have a legit Starter at RB along with QB, etc. etc.

Now I will mention Shanahan and not to correct many of the false statements made about him: What about signing a bunch of journeymen, over-reaching on players in the draft, and typical acts of unnecessary cronyism (bye, Leach) sounds any different than a typical Shanahan off-season?

A new attitude is what was desperately needed. Shanahan's way just wasn't working anymore, and the defense was just awful. It isn't a stretch to hope they can finish the year in the middle of the NFL defensive ranks, which by an indication how terrible the defense was would be a meteoric leap. Sound tackling and better CB positioning at the LoS alone will help. As I said earlier, I'd take 10 rookies in Nolan's system and hope for the best, to say they wouldn't be equal or a little better isn't far fetched at all, given the horrendousness we've become accustommed to.

While you all will point to every article that comes out saying it's bullshit, there is kind of a reason there is a general consistency in the media saying the Broncos are going to be crap this year. If this was any other team there is no way in hell you'd say this assessment was wrong. I'm sorry, but when I take off the rose-colored glasses for a bit this team looks fairly god-awful to me. It really does and when the beat-writers say McDaniels is going to have to work a miracle to get it to work I agree 100%.

Nobody said or expects a Super Bowl or Championship here, so I don't know what you're expecting. We hope for a competitive team that stays in games and a defense that doesn't fold like a cheap tent and make occassional necessary stops. That's all most of us are hoping for, and it isn't a stretch to say it can happen. According to you they should just forfeit the season and take the #1 pick. If McD is anything close to his reputation (prior the Cutler incident) they'll be OK.

Lonestar
05-30-2009, 03:39 PM
NuB, again- Orton is an experienced NFL Starter. Nobody thinks he is going to be the next John Elway, or hell, even Jay Cutler. He can't even be called a journeyman yet because this is only his second stop. Josh knows QBs, and you can't dispute that. If he thinks Orton is good enough to start, I will believe him until I see him fail miserably on the Field. Orton is the guy.

Again, he's a young experienced NT who knows Nolan's defense, who is closer to any NT they have right now. He should be the starter in a 3-4. I know you're not disputing that, but that's why he was brought in here. Also, a new DLine Coach alone can work wonders.

I have a feeling that if Denver didn't bring in a Back through the Draft you'd question the RB position, how Jordan isn't the answer, how RBBC isn't a good idea, and how they don't have a legit Starter at RB along with QB, etc. etc.

A new attitude is what was desperately needed. Shanahan's way just wasn't working anymore, and the defense was just awful. It isn't a stretch to hope they can finish the year in the middle of the NFL defensive ranks, which by an indication how terrible the defense was would be a meteoric leap. Sound tackling and better CB positioning at the LoS alone will help. As I said earlier, I'd take 10 rookies in Nolan's system and hope for the best, to say they wouldn't be equal or a little better isn't far fetched at all, given the horrendousness we've become accustommed to.

Nobody said or expects a Super Bowl or Championship here, so I don't know what you're expecting. We hope for a competitive team that stays in games and a defense that doesn't fold like a cheap tent and make occassional necessary stops. That's all most of us are hoping for, and it isn't a stretch to say it can happen. According to you they should just forfeit the season and take the #1 pick. If McD is anything close to his reputation (prior the Cutler incident) they'll be OK.

for alot of the mike/jay lovers Josh and Kyle will never meet there expectations.. but unless it was a fluke Josh does indeed know QB's and how to make them better than they were..

As for NT while it is great to have a Wilfork or Hampton not many of them around a bunch of other 3-4 teams do not have them either and are playing pretty decent D IIRC..

as for RBBC I see it being done this year also as in the past even NE did not wear out their RB giving them all the touches.. He will do well but I doubt, unless our QB sucks, he will get much more that 1300 or so yards.. in the NE style typically one guy got about 900 yards and the next one got about 500-600. while a 3rd RB Faulk in that case got most of the TD's and passes.. It extends the lives of the players that way unlike TD who just about wore out his knees from carrying the load for those 4-5 years..

Many folks have been spoiled by the constant rhetoric of we will settle for nothing less than super bowls victories that mike used to spout..

but in reality never produced without major talent..

Shazam!
05-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I agree Jr.

Denver does have a QB, we may not like it and we prefferred Cutler, but this is who we have and the guy Josh wanted. That's a lot of the reason Chicago got Cutler, because they had a good package that appealed to McD in return. He watched almost a whole season of Orton and film and saw something he liked. That's enough for me. The guy knows QBs. Until I can call McD out on it and we know Orton is wrong, it's all just a waste of time.

Moreno will be the featured go-to 1st Down Back eventually.

Also, Ron Fields wasn't brought in to do landscaping at Dove Valley either.

Lonestar
05-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I agree Jr.

Denver does have a QB, we may not like it and we prefferred Cutler, but this is who we have and the guy Josh wanted. That's a lot of the reason Chicago got Cutler, because they had a good package that appealed to McD in return. He watched almost a whole season of Orton and film and saw something he liked. That's enough for me. The guy knows QBs. Until I can call McD out on it and we know Orton is wrong, it's all just a waste of time.

:salute:

well to hear the rhetoric from the mike/jay lovers anything that Josh does, has, done or will do in the future it will be an epic failure..

Because we will never be able to get back to those mediocre years we have been doing since John left.. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

as for the guys they have brought in while they may not be superstars overall they are THOUGHT to be better PEOPLE with values and work ethic which may work out better than having someone that knows they are great that shows up only have the time during the game..

Would rather have 4 john Engelberger that are going all the time than a d Robertson that plays when he thinks he can make a splash..

Will always take players that have been overlooked that have a chip on their shoulder.. Does anyone really think poorti$$ would have been as good as he was in DEN had he been drafted in the top 15 by someone else as the first RB taken.. he had a huge chip on his shoulder and wanted to prove everyone wrong. I'd bet that had he went earlier to a good east coast team he would have been good but not great.. once he would have the huge signing bonus he would not have been the same player he was in DEN....

anton...
05-31-2009, 03:22 AM
...and a down is yet to be played

BroncoTech
05-31-2009, 08:18 AM
I don't know how the new year will play out but I do know that last year was the toughest season for fans in recent memory. First we were 'promised' a playoff season and a 2000 yard rusher, right out of the gate. Hopes were so high. We saw a spark in our offense and couldn't even find a pulse on our defense. The blowouts in NE and especially the one from Oakland made me utter something I thought I'd never say. 'Time to get rid of Shanny.'

Then we still had a legit shot at the playoffs. Only to see it come crashing down in the last 3 games of the Shanahan era. I don't know where this leaves us, I don't think anyone does, but we all have much lower expectations so no matter what happens it won't be as rough as a ride as last year was. And for that, I guess, we should be happy.

LRtagger
05-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I'll say it again, but the difference between us being a bottom 3 team and a top 10 team is NOT JAY CUTLER...so let's get off te soapbox already about not having a QB as being the reason we are going to suck.

We have a lot of good things happening right now, but people can't see it...all they see is we just gave up Jay Cutler.

Obviously this is a rebuilding year. We just got rid of half the players and all of the staff. But I can tell you one thing, we aren't going to miss the playoffs any worse than we have the past three years with our hall of fame coach and pro bowl QB.

Simple Jaded
05-31-2009, 05:26 PM
I'll say it again, but the difference between us being a bottom 3 team and a top 10 team is NOT JAY CUTLER...so let's get off te soapbox already about not having a QB as being the reason we are going to suck.

We have a lot of good things happening right now, but people can't see it...all they see is we just gave up Jay Cutler.

Obviously this is a rebuilding year. We just got rid of half the players and all of the staff. But I can tell you one thing, we aren't going to miss the playoffs any worse than we have the past three years with our hall of fame coach and pro bowl QB.

Like what? Aside from some of the good things this team already had going, what else is there? A new RB on a team that can't stop the run or the pass? Two Run-of-the-Mill QB's being coached by a rookie Head Coach that thinks he and his system alone are enough for World Domination? Another horrible personnel guy?

Even poor teams are smart enough to keep their Franchise QB's, I don't understand how missing the playoffs the last three seasons makes trading Cutler any less stupid.......fix the defense, that's all they had to do, the logic is plain and simple, your logic.......not so much.

"We sucked anyway, it doesn't matter that we traded a Top7 QB", the idea is to get better, not worse, and regardless of how well Denver does from here on out, they will always have been a far better team with Jay Cutler at QB.

You're trying too hard, the only people that try to justify having QB's like Kyle Orton are teams that are stuck with QB's like Kyle Orton.......

nevcraw
05-31-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree Jr.

well technically, McD wanted a player now in KC. Josh got the guy he wanted from a team willing to give up a QB and a boatload of draft picks..
Not exactly the same thing as the guy he wanted...

I'm am extremely curious to see how they are going to run the ball effectivly from the Shotgun.

MOtorboat
05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
The World is Ending! The World is Ending!

:runsfromhousewithhaironfire:

MOtorboat
05-31-2009, 05:58 PM
well technically, McD wanted a player now in KC. Josh got the guy he wanted from a team willing to give up a QB and a boatload of draft picks..
Not exactly the same thing as the guy he wanted...

I'm am extremely curious to see how they are going to run the ball effectivly from the Shotgun.

The Patriots were fifth or sixth in rushing last year, so I think it worked out just fine in McDaniels' offense last year...:noidea:

nevcraw
05-31-2009, 06:10 PM
The World is Ending! The World is Ending!

:runsfromhousewithhaironfire:

huh?

this was in response to my post?
Not sure I conveyed (directly or indirectly) any sense of panic

As far as the running game goes, the bar in denver is set very high, anything less than equal to the past success (and for more than 1 season) will be deemed a failure.

Simple Jaded
05-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Ya'll should watch last seasons NE/Den matchup again, NE ran a very balanced attack from under center the majority of the time, only a handfull of draws and such from Shotgun.......hopefully Doogie brings THAT offense.......

atwater27
05-31-2009, 06:29 PM

29. Denver Broncos

I am sure it just a bronco hater. Everyone thinks the Broncos and McDaniels are Super Bowl bound this year. They took out all the trash, hired absolute winners and had the best draft I have ever seen.:elefant: And the wisdom and foresight of McDaniels to out Cutler as a bad QB and a cancer and ultimately run him out of town was phenomenal.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM
huh?

this was in response to my post?
Not sure I conveyed (directly or indirectly) any sense of panic

As far as the running game goes, the bar in denver is set very high, anything less than equal to the past success (and for more than 1 season) will be deemed a failure.

by whom you the fan.. or by the team that is adopting a total change in a dated offense one that is not longer a run first O..

it has been obvious to most fans over the past 8-10 years that we have been relying on decent RB to get lots of yards between the 20's and sucking at the running game for most of those year in the red zone.. inside the 5 down right pathetic..

so while we may only get 1.8-2.2K yards this year we should be scoring more via the run or with RB's via the pass..

atwater27
05-31-2009, 07:14 PM
so while we may only get 18-22K yards this year we should be scoring more via the run or with RB's via the pass..

wow. 18 to 22k yards? I imagine that would be a record. You are an optimistic man!

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
wow. 1.8 to 2.2k yards? I imagine that would be a record. You are an optimistic man!

edited for correctness..

nevcraw
05-31-2009, 08:26 PM
by whom you the fan.. or by the team that is adopting a total change in a dated offense one that is not longer a run first O..

it has been obvious to most fans over the past 8-10 years that we have been relying on decent RB to get lots of yards between the 20's and sucking at the running game for most of those year in the red zone.. inside the 5 down right pathetic..

so while we may only get 1.8-2.2K yards this year we should be scoring more via the run or with RB's via the pass..

by everyone. except maybe you.. :laugh:

I'm open to the new offense but if he ends throwing away the baby with the bath water and the vaunted denver running game takes a dump - I and every fan of Denver will not be as simpathetic of the new coach's struggles with total change on offense as you are..

silkamilkamonico
05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
by everyone. except maybe you.. :laugh:

I'm open to the new offense but if he ends throwing away the baby with the bath water and the vaunted denver running game takes a dump - I and every fan of Denver will not be as simpathetic of the new coach's struggles with total change on offense as you are..

I think the entire offensive scheme needs an overhaul, especially when your average at scoring points, and can't score TD's inside the redzone.

But who needs TD's when you can just wait for the next Jason Elam.

Superchop 7
05-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Best article I have ever read, seen, or heard about.

Sums it all up nicely.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Best article I have ever read, seen, or heard about.

Sums it all up nicely.

thank you for all the wonderful incite.

I can wait to hear from you next year this time.. as I'm sure most others will also..

Elevation inc
06-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Like what?

Well lets go down the list

1. The Offensive Line- elite all the around, great at Zbs system

2. WR core- very deep and talented, some good rookies in the fold as well

3. TE core- 2 very good blockers blockers and a elite pass catching threat in sheffler

4. Rb's- a franchise runner, a very good back-up in buckhalter, a pounder in hillis, a very hard worker in jordan, and a promising young guy in torain when healthy.

Special teams- good returners with vision for a chnage, much need special teams gunners added

Coaching- DB, LB, DL, ST, OC, RB, OL, TE, DC all very good or upgraded from last year

Db's- Dawkins, Hill, Goodman, Alphonso smith, mcbath, bruton all upgrades back there

LB's- pretty good core with DJ williams, a proven vet in davis, and potential starst in woodyard and larsen.

MEdiocre-

DL- this is mainly is because its a unknown, not mainly because they suck, we have a lot of young guys hitting that wake-up year, we have upgraded all our DL coaching, and while we are switching schemes we do have players that know this scheme. the attack style is also a plus, yes its a concern becasue we have no proof of these players will play, but its actually set-up better than last year entering the new season, and we have some promising youth in the fold.

QB- yes we got rid of cutler, and yes orton or simms is not anything like him. however tennesse went 13-3 against a relatively tough schedule, and they did it with kerry collins and a power run game and good OL. its not unreasonable at all to think we can suprise people.

Insiders are even saying MCD loves a power run game and are saying we may not be a pass oriented offense, that not necessairly a bad thing if you have the OL, coaches, and runenrs for it, which we now have. another thing at the QB position is the fact we upgraded ramsey in a big way with chris simms.

last year if cutler went down in week 2 we would have been done for. now we have 2 guys capable of running this team in case of injury as opposed to all our eggs in one basket.

HC- yes MCd has made some very rookie manuevers and got hustled in the draft. However he isnt messin garound in practice, gone are the lolly gagging soft practices, his leadership is there and the players are starting to buy in and get excited. i was at the minicamp and TC last year and they were very relaxed and Kicked back like we could just walt through the reg seaso nwith our O. MCD is no shanny as far as a coach, but a change in philosophy was need, and the move away from the iron fist of shanny and his lame ass dog house is a good thing. Only time and wins will let us know if MCD is for real, but outside of pushing out a fan favorite and being a rookie in his first draft(not very suprising with so much power) thing are a little fresher in dove valley than they have been the last few years.

Im not claiming we will be elite or even playoff conteders for sure, but i do strongly belive in 8-8 or better and improvement and competitve showings on all sides of the ball. i dont think we will see 31-10 blowouts at home against oakland or KC or a monday night drubbing of 44-7 or allowing 52 points in primetime......its not unreasoable to see this coming

Simple Jaded
06-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Well lets go down the list

1. The Offensive Line- elite all the around, great at Zbs system

2. WR core- very deep and talented, some good rookies in the fold as well

3. TE core- 2 very good blockers blockers and a elite pass catching threat in sheffler

4. Rb's- a franchise runner, a very good back-up in buckhalter, a pounder in hillis, a very hard worker in jordan, and a promising young guy in torain when healthy.

Special teams- good returners with vision for a chnage, much need special teams gunners added

Coaching- DB, LB, DL, ST, OC, RB, OL, TE, DC all very good or upgraded from last year

Db's- Dawkins, Hill, Goodman, Alphonso smith, mcbath, bruton all upgrades back there

LB's- pretty good core with DJ williams, a proven vet in davis, and potential starst in woodyard and larsen.

MEdiocre-

DL- this is mainly is because its a unknown, not mainly because they suck, we have a lot of young guys hitting that wake-up year, we have upgraded all our DL coaching, and while we are switching schemes we do have players that know this scheme. the attack style is also a plus, yes its a concern becasue we have no proof of these players will play, but its actually set-up better than last year entering the new season, and we have some promising youth in the fold.

QB- yes we got rid of cutler, and yes orton or simms is not anything like him. however tennesse went 13-3 against a relatively tough schedule, and they did it with kerry collins and a power run game and good OL. its not unreasonable at all to think we can suprise people.

Insiders are even saying MCD loves a power run game and are saying we may not be a pass oriented offense, that not necessairly a bad thing if you have the OL, coaches, and runenrs for it, which we now have. another thing at the QB position is the fact we upgraded ramsey in a big way with chris simms.

last year if cutler went down in week 2 we would have been done for. now we have 2 guys capable of running this team in case of injury as opposed to all our eggs in one basket.

HC- yes MCd has made some very rookie manuevers and got hustled in the draft. However he isnt messin garound in practice, gone are the lolly gagging soft practices, his leadership is there and the players are starting to buy in and get excited. i was at the minicamp and TC last year and they were very relaxed and Kicked back like we could just walt through the reg seaso nwith our O. MCD is no shanny as far as a coach, but a change in philosophy was need, and the move away from the iron fist of shanny and his lame ass dog house is a good thing. Only time and wins will let us know if MCD is for real, but outside of pushing out a fan favorite and being a rookie in his first draft(not very suprising with so much power) thing are a little fresher in dove valley than they have been the last few years.

Im not claiming we will be elite or even playoff conteders for sure, but i do strongly belive in 8-8 or better and improvement and competitve showings on all sides of the ball. i dont think we will see 31-10 blowouts at home against oakland or KC or a monday night drubbing of 44-7 or allowing 52 points in primetime......its not unreasoable to see this coming

1, 2 and part of three were already in the fold when the team finished 8-8 with clear indications of where the team needed to improve, which is why I qualified my question, analysts were already aware of those "Good things", it's the stupid things the team has done since then that has analysts ranking the Broncos among the worst in the league.

4 is a sweet sentiment, if only that kind of attention were paid to the QB/DL/LB positions.

Royal should have already seen his last punt return, imo.......but he, or whomever would take his place, does little to improve some pretty pathetic ST's as a whole.

Aside from DC, it's not a given that any of the new coaches will be any good, much less an upgrade, that's a leap of faith that only Broncos fans are willing to take.

Dawkins is ******* old, he was brought in to provide attitude and leadership as much as he was for his remaining ability on the field. Hill and Goodman have backups for the majority of their careers and to call these players an upgrade really isn't saying a whole lot.

Davis.......see Dawkins. Williams, granted.......Woodyard is not a star in a 3-4, Larsen is so good at LB that he was playing FB.

Neither Simms nor Orton are in any danger of being confused with Kerry Collins when it comes to ability, and when it comes to experience, Collins has probably forgot more than Simms/Orton know combined. Tennessee is a horrible comparison for Denver when it comes to what is reasonable, aside from Bailey/WR's/OL/Bobby Turner, Tenn is head and shoulders ahead of Denver in every conceivable way. Coaching, Players, Front Office, System, Depth.......everything.

The fact that backup QB is far better now means little when you consider that the starter isn't much better than the backup, and both of them would be a backup for the majority of the teams in the NFL.

When it comes to running practices, Shanahan's mode of operation is proven, Doogie has never even been the Head Coach. Head Coach is another significant down grade from last year until proven otherwise.......

Elevation inc
06-01-2009, 02:59 AM
1, 2 and part of three were already in the fold when the team finished 8-8 with clear indications of where the team needed to improve, which is why I qualified my question, analysts were already aware of those "Good things", it's the stupid things the team has done since then that has analysts ranking the Broncos among the worst in the league.

fair enough....

4 is a sweet sentiment, if only that kind of attention were paid to the QB/DL/LB positions.

is it really you belive the selvin youngs, andre halls, cory boyds, and tatum bells werent just hugely upgraded with who we brought it. i am looking forward to our run game for a change, the only runners that excited me in the last 3 years were mike andersen, mike bell, and peyton hillis. WHY????? becasue they pounded the crap out of opposing d players...lol....i am looking forward to that again with the tough runenrs we brought in....

Royal should have already seen his last punt return, imo.......but he, or whomever would take his place, does little to improve some pretty pathetic ST's as a whole.

royal was the only returner we had last year, but we now have mckinnely, Alphonso smith, nate swift, travis shelton bringing some competition thats better than what we had last year with royal....and well royal....

Aside from DC, it's not a given that any of the new coaches will be any good, much less an upgrade, that's a leap of faith that only Broncos fans are willing to take.

Come one the coaches we brought in have proven track records for a reason, because of there past success, so if we brought in rex ryan is it any guarentee because we havent seen results yet??? pretty sure people would be elated to have him on our staff.....our Coaches have been upgraded in a big way, we have proven pedigreed coaches with good success rates throught out our staff as opposed to bums like slowik, jeremy bates, obrien and others that were let go....heck our LB and DL coaches alone were so bad i forgot there names after game 3 last year....

Dawkins is Fukking old, he was brought in to provide attitude and leadership as much as he was for his remaining ability on the field. Hill and Goodman have backups for the majority of their careers and to call these players an upgrade really isn't saying a whole lot.

you can not undervalue the impact leadership and its loss can have on a team, pushing lynch out and mishanfdling wilson was huge blows to this team. dawkins doesnt need to cover anymore and was brought in to bring vet leadership this team lacks. goodman had a much better year last year, and unlike bly actually supports the run. Hill is far and away better than manuel or mcree. so its a upgrade period...it may not be a ed reed upgrade but upgrades like that take time....

Davis.......see Dawkins. Williams, granted.......Woodyard is not a star in a 3-4, Larsen is so good at LB that he was playing FB.

Davis is anotehr great leader and a bridge teacher for the 3-4 thats invauable and he actually does well at SILB. Woodyard is a star in the making for the 3-4 especially since he weighs about 230 now, did you see his recent interview, he looks much bigger and stronger. i have no doubt he will build off his solid performnace last year, and larsen played FB becasue hillis started slowly. the fact larsen can play FB as well as start at MLB against a very tough run team in atlanta and do quite well shows he has very good potential. he doesnt have the speed for WLB or SLB in the 4-3,probally not mike in the 4-3 but he does have the skillset for SILB in the 3-4.

Neither Simms nor Orton are in any danger of being confused with Kerry Collins when it comes to ability, and when it comes to experience, Collins has probably forgot more than Simms/Orton know combined. Tennessee is a horrible comparison for Denver when it comes to what is reasonable, aside from Bailey/WR's/OL/Bobby Turner, Tenn is head and shoulders ahead of Denver in every conceivable way. Coaching, Players, Front Office, System, Depth.......everything.

really cause collins threw 4500 yds and 25 td's last year to.:confused: he was a game mager in a run first offense who was helped out by an oustanding defense. tennesse is shoulders above denver onb defense, but our TE's, WR,s And OL were and are better, and we may have the run game to challenge them. my point was regardless of collins expirience he is a game manager that takes care of the ball. thats what orton is to do for us......its really not a leap of faith to belive in orto as some are making it to be....

The fact that backup QB is far better now means little when you consider that the starter isn't much better than the backup, and both of them would be a backup for the majority of the teams in the NFL.

where is the proof, becasue he doesnt have a rocket arm and cant throw 60 yds into triple coverage..i love jay cutler and still do, but just becasue orton isnt cutler doesnt mean are Qb position isnt solid. the proof isnt there yet. the proof we do have is that orton won quite a bit of games as a starter with less weapons than he has now. football is a team support and orton just inherited some potent weapons to support him. Simms as well. the point stands if orton goes down simms can come in and we wont go ramsey WTF anymore.....

When it comes to running practices, Shanahan's mode of operation is proven, Doogie has never even been the Head Coach. Head Coach is another significant down grade from last year until proven otherwise.......

Proven....what about the last ten years, ever read stefan fatis book??? wil shed some light for ya on shannys reign and they way he handled some things and players. there comes a point where players stop becoming motivated by the guy telling them what to do if it isnt working, and while talent has been lacking so has the coaching, including soft practcies, laid back fun times when work needs to be done, and motivating your players....change was need bro, i like shanny but even i could see some players just werent responding anymore......

So for me i see questions at QB, DL, and HC thats 3 things out of many....not any reason for me to feel doom and gloom when last year....

DC,OC,WR,RB,DL,LB,S,special teams, DL coach, LB coach, all looked very worrisome yet i tried to tell myself it would be alright becasue we had cutler....well it didnt work and cutler had his worst 3 games along with the rest of the offense when we need them to repsond. our offense needed work, yds gets you nothing but a pro bowl and pretty stats, points gets you wins....shanny and bates forgot that and there decisions and coaching directly led to the downfall of cutler and the offense when we need them most......

good stuff by the way bro.....:salute:

eessydo
06-02-2009, 08:37 AM
LMAO

While we're at it, we should just forfeit all the rest of our draft picks for the next 20 years...

We are trying....we traded away our better 1rst rounder next year for a short CB with questionable speed while pretty much ignoring the fact that our front seven suck ass.

We are trying as hard as we can to make your dreams come true!

And don't make me remind you that we paid a mint for a long snapper.

Come on dude, sniff some smelling salts and wake up.

weazel
06-02-2009, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=roomemp;666635]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9601836/Ranking-the-NFL:-Insider-grading-on-every-franchise

29. Denver Broncos

QUOTE]

LMAO!

the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!!!!

what a drama queen...

nevcraw
06-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I think the entire offensive scheme needs an overhaul, especially when your average at scoring points, and can't score TD's inside the redzone.

But who needs TD's when you can just wait for the next Jason Elam.

Talk about overreacting..
If you didn't notice they had rebuilt the entire offense over already.. But shoot let's do it again for shits and grins..

The offense had been in flux for years. Flux at either QB, WR, RB and OL and OC or all together for several years now.. Last year they finally put it together with solid players at all postions (except for the injuries at RB) and made some serous strides towards becoming one of the better units in league.
Would have improved even more this year just from having the same returning starters for the first time since Elway.
But the new guy comes in decides to do it his way.. Fine.. New QB, New Scheme, and possibly changing the most consistant and productive running scheme over the last 20 years..
Fine..
It better work.. and it could.. either way I guess it will be exciting.. MCD will either orchestrate an amazing recclomation project or a an awesome train wreck.. and I'll be watching..
and no the sky is not falling..

Lonestar
06-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Talk about overreacting..
If you didn't notice they had rebuilt the entire offense over already.. But shoot let's do it again for shits and grins..

The offense had been in flux for years. Flux at either QB, WR, RB and OL and OC or all together for several years now.. Last year they finally put it together with solid players at all postions (except for the injuries at RB) and made some serous strides towards becoming one of the better units in league.
Would have improved even more this year just from having the same returning starters for the first time since Elway.
But the new guy comes in decides to do it his way.. Fine.. New QB, New Scheme, and possibly changing the most consistant and productive running scheme over the last 20 years..
Fine..
It better work.. and it could.. either way I guess it will be exciting.. MCD will either orchestrate an amazing recclomation project or a an awesome train wreck.. and I'll be watching..
and no the sky is not falling..

yep we were great between the 20's and that does not win games as we all saw..

this team has sucked in the red zone for 8 out of the last 10 years.. one of the reasons Elam will be a HOF kicker.. because we relied on him to win alot of games cause we could not close the deal inside the 10..

Did mike get smart and get better OLINE guys YEP he finally decided his light in the ass OLINE scrubs he has been living off of since the SB OLINE retired just did not have the horsepower in the trenches deep in the red zone to hack it.. finally WISELY spent a couple of decent draft choices to get Harris, Kuper and Clady.. not that they are the end all but are certainly heads and above Lepsis and foster..

now Josh has gotten another Blocking TE that can catch also perhaps to replace Graham when he is done or force him to redo his HUGE contract that mikey gave him..