PDA

View Full Version : Defensive plans put target on one key stat: turnovers

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 01:37 AM
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/28/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Another pass rusher would be nice, but it's probably not what the defense needs most.

A Pro Bowl-caliber nose tackle wouldn't hurt, but the Broncos probably have a greater need if they are to improve on defense this season.

What the Broncos may need more than anything else — turnovers.

In 16 games last season, the Broncos forced their opponents into 13 turnovers, easily the league's worst total. Since the NFL expanded to a 16-game schedule in 1978, only the 2006 Washington Redskins generated fewer takeaways, with 12.

Bob Slowik defenses have posted the next two worst takeaway seasons — he was the defensive coordinator for the 2008 Broncos and also the 2004 Green Bay Packers, who had only 14 takeaways.

Broncos are counting on new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan to coach a few more turnovers. How important are turnovers? The Broncos were 6-0 when they were merely even or plus-1 in turnover margin last season.
"That's something as a secondary unit we talk about — the amount of takeaways we had last year," said Josh Barrett, who started the final three games as a rookie safety last year. "Suffice to say we didn't do enough to help us win. Having that approach and sticking with it ... In practice we have drills that are just for stripping to ball."

Specifically, the Broncos want the second man in on a tackle to think as much ball as ball carrier.

The best?

Renaldo Hill, whom the Broncos signed away from the Miami Dolphins in free agency to become their new starting strong safety, believes his new team's set of defensive backs can go from worst (in takeaways) to first.

"We should be the top secondary in the league," Hill said. "I don't think anyone is expecting anything less. That's how we're approaching it."

Hill's proclamation may not be so far-fetched considering the Broncos' secondary starts with two possible future Hall of Famers in cornerback Champ Bailey and safety Brian Dawkins. They have a combined 15 Pro Bowl berths.

The safety switch.

Until the final days of February, Barrett had every reason to believe he would continue as a starting safety this season. Four of the safeties who started ahead of him through the first 11 games last season — Marlon McCree, Marquand Manuel, Calvin Lowry and Roderick Rogers — had been released. And Barrett finished as the starter.

Then the Broncos signed the veterans Dawkins and Hill to start, and drafted Darcel McBath in the second round, and another safety, David Bruton, in the fourth.

"It's something obviously you're not used to, coming into your second year, but it's going to be a battle," Barrett said. "There's only so many spots, and you have to go out and prove and earn your spot every day."

Despite the increased competition, Barrett has been working as the Broncos' extra safety in nickel situations.

"That's something where I feel I can help the defense out in that package," Barrett said. "I feel like there's no tight end I won't be able to cover."

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12465232

OrangeHoof
05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, that's really nice in theory. "Gee, if we had a bunch of turnovers, our defense will be better." Give that guy a gold star. It's like saying "we could win more games if the other team scored less."

In reality, forcing turnovers happen three ways - stripping the ball, stepping into the passing lanes and the ol' tip drill. You can coach that a little but it is more instinct and risk-taking. And if your defenders aren't disciplined, it can backfire with players out of position and blown coverages.

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, that's really nice in theory. "Gee, if we had a bunch of turnovers, our defense will be better." Give that guy a gold star. It's like saying "we could win more games if the other team scored less."

In reality, forcing turnovers happen three ways - stripping the ball, stepping into the passing lanes and the ol' tip drill. You can coach that a little but it is more instinct and risk-taking. And if your defenders aren't disciplined, it can backfire with players out of position and blown coverages.

yet if you read the comments over the past few days they are being taught (coached in football terms) to tackle first and then strip the ball..

Most likely from the gist of the articles posted lately something that was not stressed much last year in fact till late in the season they did not even practice with pads on.. and there was NO tackling..

It also sounded like they were encouraged to make the BIT hit and not wrap up..

Peerless
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Pass rush?

LoyalSoldier
05-29-2009, 05:42 PM
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/28/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Another pass rusher would be nice, but it's probably not what the defense needs most.

A Pro Bowl-caliber nose tackle wouldn't hurt, but the Broncos probably have a greater need if they are to improve on defense this season.

What the Broncos may need more than anything else — turnovers.

In 16 games last season, the Broncos forced their opponents into 13 turnovers, easily the league's worst total. Since the NFL expanded to a 16-game schedule in 1978, only the 2006 Washington Redskins generated fewer takeaways, with 12.

I just love it when I beat reporters to things. ;) I posted that about 2 or 3 months ago.