PDA

View Full Version : Broncos TE Scheffler on board with role in offense

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Posted: May 28, 2009
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Tony Scheffler has no beef with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and insists he's on board even after the team traded his good buddy, Jay Cutler.

Any friction that might have existed dissipated after a recent chat with his head coach.

Scheffler and McDaniels sat down to discuss the tight end's role with the team. The conversation was cathartic.

"Everything's fine," Scheffler said Thursday after the third day of passing camp. "It's not about me. It's not about any individual on this team right now. We're really focused on the team and moving forward. I think we're doing a lot of good things."

There were rumors swirling in the offseason that Denver was shopping Scheffler, not sure how he would fit into the new, intricate offense McDaniels was implementing. The meeting with McDaniels staunched those.

As for frayed feelings, there are none.

"Water off a duck's back -- move forward and move to the next day," said Scheffler, who caught 40 passes for 645 yards and three touchdowns last season. "You can't really have hurt feelings in this league or else you'll get left behind in a hurry."

These days, McDaniels is envisioning a big role for his reliable receiving tight end, who's looks slimmer and sleeker.

"Tony's a very, very highly skilled player," McDaniels said. "He can do a lot of things. He can run, he can catch, he can block. We're going to take advantage of every skill that he has. He's made a good impression on our team here."

McDaniels admits he's never coached a tight end quite like Scheffler, one with the ability to stretch the field with a combination of speed and athleticism.

"Tony is probably the most skilled pass-receiving tight end that I've had an opportunity to be around," McDaniels said. "That's a weapon for us that we can move around on the field. We're going to try to feature him in that role."

If Scheffler can just stay healthy. That's been the knock on Scheffler, who missed three games with a groin injury last season and was bothered by a broken foot before the 2007 season.

"The whole hurt label is kind of overrated with me," he said. "I've only missed four games in three years, if you really look at it. It's frustrating, don't get me wrong, but at the same time it's something you've got to battle through and learn from. I think I've done that. It makes you really appreciate being on the field and being out there with the guys."

Scheffler and Cutler formed quite the connection after the two were taken in the same draft class. Scheffler was a frequent target for the strong-armed quarterback when Cutler found himself in a jam.

However, that came to a halt when Cutler was traded to the Bears in the offseason after deciding he didn't want to play for McDaniels.

Scheffler and Cutler remain close, frequently texting and talking.

"I'm sure Jay is going to have a lot of success, a ton of success, in Chicago," Scheffler said.

McDaniels understands the loyalty.

"I'm sure there were quite a few players that had relationships with Jay," McDaniels said. "But they've done a great job of saying, 'You know what? This is our team now, these are our quarterbacks."'

Those quarterbacks would be Chris Simms and Kyle Orton, who are in a hotly contested tussle to land Cutler's spot. McDaniels prefers to wait and see who gains the upper hand through minicamps.

"I think the (players) have embraced both Chris and I," said Orton, who was acquired as part of the Cutler deal. "We've come in here, worked hard and pretty much kept our mouths shut and tried to improve every day."

So far, Scheffler likes what he sees from both of them.

"We've got two pretty darn good quarterbacks," he said.

Scheffler's unsure what his precise role will be, only that he's hoping to find himself locked up in coverage by a linebacker.

"Those are the matchups I've got to win," Scheffler said. "There's a lot of weapons on the field, so when your number is called you've got to step up and make a play or else you don't know when the next one's going to come."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=554093

WARHORSE
05-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Sounds good to me.

If Scheff can get it done health wise and blocking wise, he can STUDify the entire TE corp.

LRtagger
05-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Wish some others had Tony's attitude.

Dreadnought
05-29-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm a bit encouraged by McD's comments (though I'm by no means in his fan club). He seems to be open to the idea that as he has one of the most unique weapons in the NFL already on the roster he needs to figure out a way to adjust his own system to utilize him, rather than stubbornly trying to dump the guy because he isn't a good fit on the surface of it. That still doesn't make Quinn anything like a good draft pick, but at least it shows a bit of flexibility in thinking.

underrated29
05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm a bit encouraged by McD's comments (though I'm by no means in his fan club). He seems to be open to the idea that as he has one of the most unique weapons in the NFL already on the roster he needs to figure out a way to adjust his own system to utilize him, rather than stubbornly trying to dump the guy because he isn't a good fit on the surface of it. That still doesn't make Quinn anything like a good draft pick, but at least it shows a bit of flexibility in thinking.

I was thinking the same thing about jay. He should have waited to see what Jay was like. On film, he thought scheff was different until he played him.....I think Mcd would have said the same thing about Jay. He isnt this turnover machine that the film seems to show....But alas he did not.

However, it is very encouraging that they are finidng ways to get tony in the mix in the offense, like you said above. I am glad he is seeing the talent we have and using it. instead of just saying his sytem is all be all.

yardog
05-29-2009, 10:54 AM

Was he talking about Cutler? Oh no wait that was before he became in lighted.:tsk:

Dortoh
05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Tonys ability to attack the seems down the field make him very valueable.

We have both Graham and the new kid to pick up the slack in the trenches.

Pretty solid unit no reason to rock that boat.

nevcraw
05-29-2009, 02:35 PM

Concur.. I also hope he as open to fitting Hillis into his plans as well..

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 02:49 PM

I see it as meaning he will not always be used as a Straight TE as his blocking is less than stellar.. there is H back and they can split him out a little wider to see who the put on him.. put him in motion.. lots of thing he can do with his hands and speed..

I think the earlier feelers about being on the trading block were justified if he could have picked up decent choice before the draft it would have been worth pursuing..

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Y'all also have to remember this team is not very deep anywhere in quality players..

Over the past almost decade we have lost a lot of HOF and near HOF talent.. and not really replaced much of it.. almost none from the draft outside of year 2006.

So we are taking chance s on players that may only be back up players down the road trying to get some quality on the field.. Not only alot of starting holes to fill but Quality backs ups also.. someone that can step in and NOT fubar when they have to..

We started seeing this when Lepsis went down just how far we had fallen..

Dreadnought
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I see it as meaning he will not always be used as a Straight TE as his blocking is less than stellar.. there is H back and they can split him out a little wider to see who the put on him.. put him in motion.. lots of thing he can do with his hands and speed..

I think the earlier feelers about being on the trading block were justified if he could have picked up decent choice before the draft it would have been worth pursuing..

I'll agree with the first part of your statement. Every football fan has their idiosyncrcies, and one of mine is a total belief that a Tight End should always be a pass receiver first and foremost - with blocking a very much secondary skill. I have almost no use for "blocking" tight ends, and prior to watching our safety combo of Lowery, Manuel, and McRee last Year Clarence Kay was probably my least favorite Bronco ever to start regularly.

Hence why I was going nearly out of my mind when the Broncos were shopping Scheffler. Graham? OK, sure, trade him. When they drafted Quinn I about had an aneurism. Pure pass catching TE's as good as Scheffler are very rare, and worth their weight in gold.

NightTrainLayne
05-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I'll agree with the first part of your statement. Every football fan has their idiosyncrcies, and one of mine is a total belief that a Tight End should always be a pass receiver first and foremost - with blocking a very much secondary skill. I have almost no use for "blocking" tight ends, and prior to watching our safety combo of Lowery, Manuel, and McRee last Year Clarence Kay was probably my least favorite Bronco ever to start regularly.

Hence why I was going nearly out of my mind when the Broncos were shopping Scheffler. Graham? OK, sure, trade him. When they drafted Quinn I about had an aneurism. Pure pass catching TE's as good as Scheffler are very rare, and worth their weight in gold.

By the same token, there's plenty of folks who think that a bull-dozer type blocking tight-end is worth their weight in gold too.

They both have their place, it's just a matter of how you use them. If you use them both to their strengths, you win either way.

Shannon Sharpe was a freak of nature in being great at both sides of that coin. He wasn't a bull-dozer, but he could block pretty well, and of course we all know about his pass-catching and route-running ability.

Lately I've been wondering if Shanny just had a horse-shoe stuck up his butt when he took the team over. He inherited Sharpe, got lucky drafting TD, and a couple other guys he took chances on worked out well (Rod Smith comes to mind). Heck, he tried to trade Sharpe away, and TD initially got some recognition for his special teams play. . .

horsepig
05-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree on both counts. Both type of TE's are valuable, if they are very good at their strngth.

That other guy is too rare. Ozzie Newsom and John Mackey are old dschool guys that earned their checks in the trenches but, could be counted on to make some big, big catches.

Nobody else like that until Sharpe came along. Winslow was never a blocker.

horsepig
05-29-2009, 04:30 PM
It's good to hear the coach talk about taking advantage of what he's got. "Tony, are you nuts? Do you think we're gonna keep a guy with your skills off the field?". Or something to that effect, lol.

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 04:36 PM

IF and only IF the offense can use them, if they have no or little use to a pass catching TE then they are not needed.. It sounds as though Josh has seen the light and with the newbies having pretty good hands as well as graham then indeed they will have a scheme designed in for them..

Not everyone sees the TE as a pass catching idea.. just like some teams have TE that could not block out a little old lady (our safeties last year) out of the way..

There is more than one school of thought DEN has almost always had good to great receiving TE's.. But you can not argue to strongly that NE offense missing one (TE) was anything to shake your head over.. They have done pretty damned good over the past 10-12 years about the same time as we have been struggling most of the time..

Requiem / The Dagda
05-29-2009, 04:45 PM
It'll be nice to look at this article after this coming season and see if Tony is re-signed here or not. Hehe.

rcsodak
05-31-2009, 12:52 AM
It'll be nice to look at this article after this coming season and see if Tony is re-signed here or not. Hehe.

why? :confused:

Benetto
05-31-2009, 03:46 AM
Tony lost a lot of respect from me as a Broncos fan...He is going to have to play lights out, to gain that respect back. I know he can care less what ONE fan thinks of him....but that's what it is.

Maybe he was butt-hurt about how close Cutler and Olsen are now...And came crying back home...

For the people who wish Cutler had the same mentality as Tony....Tony didn't have a puppeteer making all his decisions for him...And balls the size of Peas.:coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
05-31-2009, 11:40 AM
why? :confused:

Think about it RC, it really is not rocket science.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Let me add that many times over the past 5-6 years our performance in the red zone sucked.. one of the comments at the EOY presser was we have to improve red zone performance and that has been the hot button each off season..

While having a deep threat TE is nice is does very little to help when the field is condensed like is is in the red zone..

Once you get inside the 10 a good to great blocking TE IMHO is much more important than a stretch the field guy..

That is not to say that tony can't help out down there, but will be as big "Extra" target in the end zone.. AGAIN if we can not run deep inside the 10 or the 5, defenders can cover alot of ground and take away the pass also....

Dreadnought
05-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Let me add that many times over the past 5-6 years our performance in the red zone sucked.. one of the comments at the EOY presser was we have to improve red zone performance and that has been the hot button each off season..

While having a deep threat TE is nice is does very little to help when the field is condensed like is is in the red zone..

Once you get inside the 10 a good to great blocking TE IMHO is much more important than a stretch the field guy..

That is not to say that tony can't help out down there, but will be as big "Extra" target in the end zone.. AGAIN if we can not run deep inside the 10 or the 5, defenders can cover alot of ground and take away the pass also....

Conversely, I think he has the best hands on the team, and is the best pure pass catcher we have on the roster. He ought to be the go to guy in the Red Zone given his size, hands, and athleticism.

RunYouOver
05-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Assuming he can stay healthy, I wouldn't at all be shocked if McD found a new spot for him in his offense and he had a huge year.

I'm rooting for him.

Lonestar
05-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Conversely, I think he has the best hands on the team, and is the best pure pass catcher we have on the roster. He ought to be the go to guy in the Red Zone given his size, hands, and athleticism.

IIRC I believe mike stated that Hillis indeed had the best hands on the team last year..

yes he should get the call but inside the red zone that EZ is awfully crowed and he will not be beating anyone into there speed wise.. he may be able to out muscle them or out jump them but zipping by them not going to happen..

I suspect that Josh will indeed find something for him to do..

Lonestar
06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Good hands team Scheffler on board with Broncos' plan by Jim Armstrong The Denver Post , The Denver Post

add this RSS blog email print
NFL minicamps are more miniature for some players than others. Tony Scheffler, for instance. When it comes to minicamps, he has done more watching than participating.

Scheffler is spending the bulk of the Broncos' current minicamp running routes, lifting weights and fitting into new coach Josh McDaniels' offense. Last year, he spent May and June hobbling around Dove Valley in a walking boot after aggravating the broken left foot he sustained ? you got it, in a minicamp.
"I actually made it through the first day with flying colors," Scheffler said. "That was a pleasant surprise. But it feels good to be healthy. Everything feels real good. It's good just to be able to focus on learning the offense and jell with some new teammates. It's a lot more fun being on the field than in the training room."

Scheffler is in a good place mentally, too, which took some time after McDaniels' infamous spat with Scheffler's best friend on the team, quarterback Jay Cutler. Once Cutler was traded away, there was no small amount of speculation that Scheffler would follow.

They were easy dots to connect. First, there was the Scheffler-Cutler relationship. Then came word Scheffler was skipping some of the Broncos' offseason conditioning program to work out with Nuggets strength-and-conditioning coach Steve Hess.

Wait, there was more to the subplot. McDaniels was a Bill Belichick disciple. Two other former Belichick aides, Browns coach Eric Mangini and Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, arrived in their new cities and promptly traded away their big-name tight ends, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Tony Gonzalez, respectively.

Scheffler's name was out there too. But here it is, less than two months from training camp, and he hasn't gone anywhere - except to McDaniels' office for a sit-down heart-to-heart. What did he need to hear from his new coach?

"I didn't need to hear anything," Scheffler said. "This is the NFL. You can't have feelings. You kind of have to have water off a duck's back. You can't have hurt feelings or you'll get left behind in a hurry. You've got to move forward to the next day."

Said McDaniels: "I'm sure there were quite a few players who had relationships with Jay, and they've done a great job of saying, 'You know what? This is our team now, and these are our quarterbacks.' He's working his butt off to get better with each one of them. He's making a good impression on them, and I hope they're making a good impression on him."

If new quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Chris Simms don't make a big impact, it won't be because they didn't have a tight end who could stretch a defense. Three years into his career, Scheffler has proved he's one of the best big-play tight ends in the business.

"Tony is probably the most skilled pass-receiving tight end I've had an opportunity to be around," McDaniels said. "That's a weapon for us. We can move him around on the field, do different things with him. He can stretch the field at the third level, the second level, and he can take the short underneath level and turn it into a long gain."

Scheffler caught 40 balls for three touchdowns in 2008. Now for the stat that jumps off the page: 16.1 yards per catch. How many other NFL tight ends who played an appreciable amount of time matched that figure? That would be none.

In the ultimate copycat league, Scheffler has emerged as a genuinely unique player. Unlike rank-and-file tight ends throughout the league, he isn't a go-to guy on third down. He didn't even make the fine print on the list of the NFL's leading receivers on third down. It's first and second down when he does his damage, often well down the field.

He's a weapon, all right, and, ironic as it may seem given Cutler's departure, he may be used more extensively in McDan-

iels' offense than he was in Mike Shanahan's. The prospect of a fresh start in a new offense, combined with a healthy left foot, has Scheffler excited about the 2009 season.

"We've got a good thing going right now," Scheffler said. "We've got great team chemistry. We're just looking forward to getting this offense installed and having fun with it. When your number is called, you've got to step up and make a play.

"This is the NFL. There are a lot of weapons on the field. You're hoping to get thrown in the mix. Hopefully, I'll get thrown into man(-to-man) coverage situations against a linebacker or safety. Those are the matchups I have to win."

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com --------------------------------------------------------------- Big-play man

The Broncos' Tony Scheffler ranked 19th among NFL tight ends with 40 receptions in 2008. But he averaged 16.1 yards per catch. A look at what the top 10 receiving tight ends (based on receptions) averaged per catch:

Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City....11.0....

Chris Cooley, Washington....10.2....

Jason Witten, Dallas....11.8....

Dallas Clark, Indianapolis....11.0....

Owen Daniels, Houston....12.3....

Antonio Gates, San Diego....11.7....

Bo Scaife, Tennessee.... 9.7....

Zach Miller, Oakland....13.9....

John Carlson, Seattle....11.4....

Greg Olsen, Chicago....10.6....
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9635016/Good-hands-team-Scheffler-on-board-with-Broncos'-plan-