PDA

View Full Version : Players Adjusting Quickly

Denver Native (Carol)
05-28-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9073

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Through each day of offseason camps, the transition to Head Coach Josh McDaniels' philosophy is getting easier.

While grasping the terminology is still a work in progress, McDaniels said players -- veterans and newcomers alike -- are making strides each day.

"This week has been very spirited," said the head coach following the third day of the team's passing camp. "Every day seems to be better than the one before it."

With competitions brewing at nearly every position on the roster, McDaniels has noticed vigorous play across the board -- even if this week's camp is being played without pads.

"Everybody is working hard. We are getting a lot of repetitions and a lot of guys are getting work," McDaniels said. "I think we are really getting the most out of our players."

Eleven-year veteran Brandon Stokley said he believes working in McDaniels' system in passing camp will help the offensive unit be more effective come training camp in July.

"It's always different," Stokley said of initially learning a new system. "You've got different terminology, different ways of doing things. In that aspect, it is a little bit difficult. But once you get the hang of it, it's like any other offense."

When Eddie Royal first began dissecting the system, habits from last year's offense crept into the back of his mind. But, just as he was able to transition from Virginia Tech's offensive system to the Broncos', Royal said he is beginning to find his groove.

Royal's offensive counterpart, Chris Simms, echoed similar sentiments. The seventh-year signal-caller said there is "no doubt" that the team is making strides offensively.

"Take (Thursday) for instance, they are throwing a lot of new stuff on us and we have to learn it on the go and cram it in here and try to do the best we can with it," Simms said. "We make mistakes every now and then, but I think as a whole we've been pretty consistent and offensively we've been putting some good things together."

At the speed in which his team is moving during passing camp, McDaniels said players have no choice but to grasp knowledge on the fly.

"The pace is pretty frantic out there," he said. "(Practices) are going to have a lot of different things included in them and our players are going to be held accountable because if we don't do those things right in a game, we're not going to win. We've got to do a lot of things right in practice to carry them over to games."

BUILDING CHEMISTRY

With nearly half of the roster reloaded from last season's squad, players aren't just getting used to new philosophies. Teammates are getting acquainted to each other as well.

"We've been heading in the right direction as far as that is concerned too," Simms said. "I think we have a lot of good guys; a lot of good guys that come to work every day ready to be disciplined, ready to do what they are supposed to do."

ARRINGTON RELEASED

McDaniels said Thursday that the Broncos have released running back J.J. Arrington due to injury concerns.

"We wouldn't have signed him if we didn't hope we could have had something turn out with the injury. But it just got to the point that we realized and he realized that it wasn't going to work out for him this year with the injury," McDaniels said. "We wish him the best in terms of going through his rehab and whatever he may end up choosing to do. But he was great for us when he was here - he has a great attitude, a great approach. We were fortunate to have the opportunity to work with him as long as we did. Maybe we'll get another opportunity down the road."

Lonestar
05-28-2009, 08:14 PM
also in his interview there was a question something like are they getting it or are you having to slow it down to teach them his response was they do not have an option we have a plan and they have o keep up.. That was either before or after his comment about them having to be smart, aggressive, and versatile for the billionth time..

He knows what he wants and is not going to take/accept anything less.

broncohead
05-28-2009, 08:56 PM
also in his interview there was a question something like are they getting it or are you having to slow it down to teach them his response was they do not have an option we have a plan and they have o keep up.. That was either before or after his comment about them having to be smart, aggressive, and versatile for the billionth time..

He knows what he wants and is not going to take/accept anything less.

McD imo has to coach to the level of the players. Not as fast as he wants because it's his way or the highway. When he says stuff like that it just makes me think he's on some kind of power trip. But maybe most of the players are keeping up. We'll see in pre-season though.

Lonestar
05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
McD imo has to coach to the level of the players. Not as fast as he wants because it's his way or the highway. When he says stuff like that it just makes me think he's on some kind of power trip. But maybe most of the players are keeping up. We'll see in pre-season though.

I think he means it and those that fall by the wayside will not make the team, they are players that are not smart enough to handle the program.. I take the to mean they are not going to be kept if they can't deal witht eh changes..

He also said that they practice at game pace not alot of time between plays..

jlarsiii
05-28-2009, 09:24 PM
I guess I am a bit of a pessimist in saying "what else is he going to say at this point in time". If you want to build confidence in your players and your fans you pretty much have to say they are picking things up. Otherwise you are wasting everyone's time.

I, however, will believe it when I see it. I hope for the best but fear the worst for this upcoming season.

Dirk
05-29-2009, 06:35 AM
I know that there is always some added "sugar" put on top in these interviews. But as I see/hear things coming out of the camps I am getting pumped up for the season!

Again, if we go at least 8-8 it was a total success due to all the changes. But I am optimistic that we will be better than .500.

broncofanatic1987
05-29-2009, 03:11 PM

I knew someone would misinterpret McDaniels' comments as a power trip or find some reason hate on him.

I think it's reasonable to believe that McDaniels is confident that he's brought in players and kept players that can keep up with the pace of the practices. If he figured wrong on some of them, better to find out now.

Dean
05-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I knew someone would misinterpret McDaniels' comments as a power trip or find some reason hate on him.

I think it's reasonable to believe that McDaniels is confident that he's brought in players and kept players that can keep up with the pace of the practices. If he figured wrong on some of them, better to find out now.

As I understand it, "players that can keep up with the pace of the practices" is not the objective. I am relatively sure that having players in position to make plays next fall players that can win football games is the one and only reason for having these practices.

There are only so many people that can make a difference on Sunday's. If those people that have the talent to win games are catching on then great. You continue to give them as much as they can handle. If they are not, revisions must be made.

broncofanatic1987
05-29-2009, 04:03 PM
As I understand it, "players that can keep up with the pace of the practices" is not the objective. I am relatively sure that having players in position to make plays next fall players that can win football games is the one and only reason for having these practices.

There are only so many people that can make a difference on Sunday's. If those people that have the talent to win games are catching on then great. You continue to give them as much as they can handle. If they are not, revisions must be made.

From what I understand after hearing McDaniels speak on the matter, the pace of the practices is at a pace that prepares the players for the pace of the games. I never said getting players that can keep up with the pace of the practices is the objective. The objective is obviously something more than just keeping up with practice. But, if players can't keep up in practice, there's a good chance that they won't be able to keep up in a game.

horsepig
05-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Damn the torpedos! Full ****** speed ahead and get the damned whiners below decks!

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
From what I understand after hearing McDaniels speak on the matter, the pace of the practices is at pace that prepares the players for the pace of the games. I never said getting players that can keep up with the pace of the practices is the objective. The objective is obviously something more than just keeping up with practice. But, if players can't keep up in practice, there's a good chance that they won't be able to keep up in a game.

we have for years had a country club practice, min camp and TC schedule and frankly it shows.. It was alright when we had a bunch of old timers that knew how to tackle and hustle but over the years. After the HOF's left we had bad years, after bad years of acquiring real talent.. about the only decent guys that we have brought in were Champ and John Lynch.. the rest skells and rookies..

and if you do not practice hard you play soft.. I think that has proved itself out over the past 3 or more years..