PDA

View Full Version : TSN:Broncos Team Report

Skinny
10-24-2007, 05:39 AM
October 24, 2007
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

STRATEGY/PERSONNEL ANALYSIS

The surgery that will keep WR Javon Walker out 4-6 weeks brings Brandon Stokley outside of his comfort zone of the slot and into a starting role. And while unproven Glenn Martinez now plays more in three-wide sets, TE Tony Scheffler could feel the biggest impact. Scheffler has only recently begun to contribute after fully recovering from a broken foot. With Scheffler, Denver can still employ two tight-end packages to emphasize the run but use his downfield skills and ability to work the middle of the field out of that personnel grouping to create a spread formation. The Broncos used him in such formations Sunday, and Scheffler caught five passes for 50 yards and a touchdown. Scheffler's presence is needed particularly now, too, with both Nate Jackson (groin) and Stephen Alexander (leg) done for the year. ...

One of the ways teams are attacking the Broncos outside of a heavy dose of running plays is by using the tight ends. In the first month and a half, tight ends represented almost half of the receiving yards vs. Denver. It allows opponents to push the field without playing to the Broncos' strength -- corners Champ Bailey and Dre' Bly -- while taking advantage of matchups. Coverage isn't the strength of Denver's safeties, leaving WLB Ian Gold primarily responsible in sub packages, but he has struggled with the size-speed combinations of the likes of Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates. Furthermore, Pittsburgh tight ends combined for three of the team's four touchdowns Sunday. The trend figures to continue with Green Bay's Donald Lee, Gates and Tony Gonzalez (twice) still on the schedule.

SCOUTING REPORT

DT Marcus Thomas has earned more playing time as the season progressed -- he started in place of Amon Gordon Sunday night -- and he's become more comfortable with the block-and-lock techniques necessary in Denver's scheme. Thomas initially struggled with his conditioning and even stance when he arrived after missing most of his senior college season. But Thomas got in shape and his game, which had been predicated on a one-gap, attacking style, was entirely rebuilt. He has decent lower-body power to anchor but has to do a better job with his hands shedding blocks. But his initial quickness and uncanny athleticism for his size are big reasons he stays in on obvious passing downs.

OFFENSIVE SYSTEM CHECK

The Broncos demonstrated promise of a top-five offense the first couple weeks despite scoring and red-zone issues. But with QB Jay Cutler still learning, Walker out, an increasingly banged-up offensive line, attrition at tight end and a looming suspension for RB Travis Henry, expectations may have to be adjusted. The coaching staff has appeared reticent even at full strength to spread the field and allow Cutler and chuck the ball around. Given all the losses, that doesn't figure to happen now, either. So an even added reliance on the run is probable. The team is working extensively on execution inside the 20. Denver could look more to Daniel Graham and Scheffler and also to use WR Brandon Marshall's size in that area in the coming weeks.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=294504

broncofanatic1987
10-24-2007, 11:04 AM
The Broncos demonstrated promise of a top-five offense the first couple weeks despite scoring and red-zone issues. But with QB Jay Cutler still learning, Walker out, an increasingly banged-up offensive line, attrition at tight end and a looming suspension for RB Travis Henry, expectations may have to be adjusted. The coaching staff has appeared reticent even at full strength to spread the field and allow Cutler and chuck the ball around. Given all the losses, that doesn't figure to happen now, either. So an even added reliance on the run is probable. The team is working extensively on execution inside the 20. Denver could look more to Daniel Graham and Scheffler and also to use WR Brandon Marshall's size in that area in the coming weeks.

The last thing they should do is take the ball out of Cutler's hands. This is especially true if Henry is suspended. Selvin Young is unproven as a workhorse and the Broncos don't have anyone else that can fill that role either. They need to put the ball in Cutler's hands more not less. If they want to win they can't become predictable and conservative. They are going to have put pressure on their opponents on both sides of the ball. Playing aggressive offense and aggressive defense is the only way they will have a chance to make the playoffs this year. Make defenses afraid to stack eight in the box. Make offenses have to guess where the blitz is coming from or if it's even coming at all.

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 12:48 PM
The last thing they should do is take the ball out of Cutler's hands. This is especially true if Henry is suspended. Selvin Young is unproven as a workhorse and the Broncos don't have anyone else that can fill that role either. They need to put the ball in Cutler's hands more not less. If they want to win they can't become predictable and conservative. They are going to have put pressure on their opponents on both sides of the ball. Playing aggressive offense and aggressive defense is the only way they will have a chance to make the playoffs this year. Make defenses afraid to stack eight in the box. Make offenses have to guess where the blitz is coming from or if it's even coming at all.

I disagree with you a few of reasons.

I don't think we need to become more of a passing team, passing leads to quicker scores which means our defense is on the field more. Winning the time of possession battle is imperative in my opinion.

While I like Rasizer as journalist, I don't agree that the offense will become even more run dependent. Shanahan regardless of the injury situations always strives to have nearly the same amount of pass attempts to rushing attempts so I don't see that changing.

As far as Young is concerned as it with any running back that hasn't been a workhorse, you'll never know if they can do it unless they are given a chance. For instance, TD was unproven when he first entered the starting line up.

broncofanatic1987
10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't want the Broncos to turn into a pass happy team, but I don't want them to be too conservative either, especially after Henry is suspended.

I would like to see them employ the more traditional Walsh offense where quick short passes take the place of the run on first or second down. They will still need to run in order to keep defenses honest and it might even help them to get some big plays out the running game if they can catch defenses by surprise. Cutler's big arm and ability to throw deep can help keep defenses from keying on the short passes out of fear that he will go deep. That would mean that they have to take some shots down the field. With Marshall and Scheffler in the game, assuming Scheffler isn't too banged up, they should be able to force defenses to respect the deep pass capability of the Broncos offense. It will become even more dangerous when Walker returns.

I think the Broncos would benefit greatly by going for a 60:40 pass to run ratio instead of going for a 50:50 split.

Of course Shanahan will do whatever he thinks is best, but I think he should consider the possibility that losing Henry will turn the offense into an offense that isn't a whole lot different than what he had last year. He wanted a workhorse for a reason. Henry is on pace to gain 1,464 yards this year. He won't get there because he's going to be suspended. If I were Shanahan, I would rather put my faith in Cutler than Young. Young has done well as a backup, but that doesn't mean he's going to hold up as a workhorse. If you're serious about winning, you go with the better odds. The odds are better that Cutler is going to help you win more games than Young will.

omac
10-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Very interesting points.

One thing Shanny has never really been afraid to do is to put young players he's confident with in the line of fire. Jay got his NFL start pretty early, and Mike Bell, Schefler, and others have had significant playing time their rookie season. If he believes in Selvin Young's ability, he'll be a part of the offense the team will rely on.

That being said, I think Shanny had a good reason for keeping all these RBs, and we see it right now. If or when Travis Henry gets suspended, I expect a good division of carries from Young, Bell, and Sapp. We could still be a great running team even without one premiere back, as Tennessee has shown; oftentimes, their individual rb's don't reach 100 yards, and there's not much consistency on which one will shine each week, but the results have been good as a group.

More critical in my mind is whether or not Brandon Marshall gets suspended this season for the DUI, which is his 2nd brush-in with the law this year. If he's suspended, we won't have any consistent deep threat. The short yardage stuff, we got lots of players who can do that nicely.

Lonestar
10-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I disagree with you a few of reasons.

I don't think we need to become more of a passing team, passing leads to quicker scores which means our defense is on the field more. Winning the time of possession battle is imperative in my opinion.

While I like Rasizer as journalist, I don't agree that the offense will become even more run dependent. Shanahan regardless of the injury situations always strives to have nearly the same amount of pass attempts to rushing attempts so I don't see that changing.

As far as Young is concerned as it with any running back that hasn't been a workhorse, you'll never know if they can do it unless they are given a chance. For instance, TD was unproven when he first entered the starting line up.

Great response your dead on..

Skinny
10-24-2007, 09:23 PM
One of the ways teams are attacking the Broncos outside of a heavy dose of running plays is by using the tight ends. In the first month and a half, tight ends represented almost half of the receiving yards vs. Denver.Don't know about my fellow Bronco fans but this is really starting to piss me off.

The trend figures to continue with Green Bay's Donald Lee, Gates and Tony Gonzalez (twice) still on the schedule.This 'trend' needs to be addressed soon.

TXBRONC
10-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Don't know about my fellow Bronco fans but this is really starting to piss me off.

This 'trend' needs to be addressed soon.

It is troubling and its something I noticed as well. All of Pittsburghs touchdowns were to the tight ends.

Stargazer
10-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Given all the losses, that doesn't figure to happen now, either. So an even added reliance on the run is probable.

I don't agree with that statement at all. The coaching staff is finally gaining trust in Cutler and are finally throwing the football. Think of the two TD's where you expect a typical run. No, fake the run and Cutler guns the ball in for a TD. Even the pass to Stokely for a 15 yard TD in the red zone. The reliance on running the ball too much has really hurt this team. The coaching staff is finally letting Jay throw, and last Sunday proves this. Expect more passing play in and out of the red zone. It's better for the offense.

Stargazer
10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
It is troubling and its something I noticed as well. All of Pittsburghs touchdowns were to the tight ends.

Looks around. Kenny Phillips will you please stand up and become a Bronco?:cool:

TXBRONC
10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I corrected myself in one thread already so I might as well do it here as well.

Not all of Ben's touchdown passes went to the tight end. One of went Antonio Holmes. So my apologies for the mistake.

Stargazer
10-25-2007, 09:44 PM

Not all of Ben's touchdown passes went to the tight end. One of went Antonio Holmes. So my apologies for the mistake.

With the amount of TD catches by Pitt TE's, it is easily assumed they caught them all. Holmes actually almost dropped the TD catch he caught. Oh, since you want to be correcting yourself it's Santonio Holmes, not Antonio.:D

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 10:35 PM

WELL THAT IS YOUR MISTAKE FOR THIS YEAR NO MORE ALLOWED..;)

TXBRONC
10-26-2007, 01:23 PM
WELL THAT IS YOUR MISTAKE FOR THIS YEAR NO MORE ALLOWED..;)

It's the only mistake I will make this year. ;)

Lonestar
10-26-2007, 01:35 PM
It's the only mistake I will make this year. ;)

If you do I'll rub your nose in it....

Did you get my PM?

TXBRONC
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
If you do I'll rub your nose in it....

Did you get my PM?

Yes I got your PM.