PDA

View Full Version : Thursday 05/28/09 Practice Recap - denverbroncos.com

Grover
05-28-2009, 04:46 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/thursdays-practice-recap/

The team reached day number three of passing camp on Thursday, and the practice was open to the media. Here are a few quick hits from today’s session.

POSTURING FOR POSITION

You can’t read too much into a depth chart during passing camp, but it looked like the first team defense consisted of Ryan McBean, Ronald Fields and Kenny Peterson on the line, Darrell Reid and Elvis Dumervil at outside linebacker, Andra Davis and D.J. Williams at the inside linebacker spots, Champ Bailey and Andre’ Goodman at cornerback and Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill at safety.
Spencer Larsen spent some time both in the backfield and with the linebackers.
LaMont Jordan decided to try out a new position as the team was switching between drills — he pulled Brett Kern aside and set up as the long snapper. It looks like Jordan will stick with the running back position, because let’s just say the snap didn’t hit its target.

FIELDING PUNTS, CIRCUS STYLE

Six players practiced fielding punts as Kern and Britton Colquitt alternated lofting the ball downfield. Eddie Royal went first, followed by Nate Swift, Alphonso Smith, Kenny McKinley, David Grimes and Matt Willis.

After the first round of catches, the drill got a little more interesting. The players then tried to field punts with a ball in one hand. Then a ball in each hand. Then finally with three balls already in their arms — Royal, Swift and Smith successfully fielded the fourth.

Then, after practice, a player stepped up to field a punt who you shouldn’t expect to see in that position on Sundays. The offense chose undrafted free agent defensive tackle Chris Baker to field a punt to save the defense from extra meetings.

The 6-foot-2, 326-pound lineman watched the punt directly into his hands with no problem, much to the delight of his defensive teammates. That included Wesley Woodyard, who then punted the ball high in the air in celebration.

MAKING PLAYS

During one drill, the offense lined up in the red zone with :01 left on the clock — one play to decide the hypothetical game. The defense on the sidelines were fired up, yelling to simulate crowd noise.
The shotgun snap came to Chris Simms, who backpedaled, looked around and fired a pass to a leaping Daniel Graham for the touchdown. The offensive players on the sidelines erupted, but the defense did as well, as Dumervil chased after Head Coach Josh McDaniels to plead his case that he had been there for the sack. In the end, the touchdown stood.

During 7-on-7s, D.J. Williams jumped in front of a pass and sprinted his way to the end zone, setting the ball down on the goal line. Again it was Woodyard with the loudest celebration, throwing pretend blocks at anyone who tried to get near Williams.
Alphonso Smith had a solid break-up in 7-on-7s as well, reaching out and knocking down a pass just as it was about to reach Eddie Royal.
Matt Prater went 8-for-8 in the field goal drill.
TWO MINUTE DOMINATION

We don’t know how the offense or defense has looked in drills up until today’s open practice, but one thing is for sure — in the two-minute drill, the first team defense looked pretty dangerous.

Kyle Orton completed his first pass to Royal on first down, but it was followed by an incomplete pass on second down. On third down, it looked like Orton had a nice completion to Royal on the sideline, but Goodman was right there to swat the ball out of his hands. On fourth down, the defense knocked down a pass at the line of scrimmage as plenty of celebrating ensued.

It looked like the second-team defense would put on a similar show, as the second-team offense’s drive started with a Marcus Thomas sack. Darcel McBath broke up a pass aimed at Jeb Putzier on second down, and another incomplete pass followed on third. On fourth down it looked like the defense got the stop, but a pass interference call kept the drive alive. Eventually Simms would find Chad Jackson in the corner of the end zone to give the offense a score in the drill.

(photos are posted on the team's website)

horsepig
05-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Well, at least it sounds like they're spirited.

WARHORSE
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Ok. Im salivating now and theres nothing to eat.

Lets shock the world this season Denver.

SHOCK EM!

broncofaninfla
05-29-2009, 08:32 AM
God I can't wait for the season to start..................

shank
05-29-2009, 10:07 AM
i wish we would just let larsen play linebacker. if there was a thing i wasn't going to miss about shanny, it was the player experimentation, which ends up just hindering their development. it only makes sense that it continues after he's gone :tsk:

LRtagger
05-29-2009, 10:15 AM
My guess is McD might like to use Larsen in goal line situations as a lead blocker and possibly have Hillis at TB.

Looking at some pictures on the team's homepage I noticed Hillis lined up at FB in front of Moreno. I would guess Larsen is just an emergency or goal line FB.

underrated29
05-29-2009, 10:20 AM
i think once adra davis hangs it up, in the next couple years or so, larsen will get his chance to shine. He IMO is an Ideal 34 ILB. All he has to do is play the run and that boy can punish people.

broncofaninfla
05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I watched the Denver-Atlanta game again last week and loved what I saw from Larsen. I really do look for Larsen to shine during pre-season this year and push for more playing time.

BigAL56
05-29-2009, 12:06 PM
i think once adra davis hangs it up, in the next couple years or so, larsen will get his chance to shine. He IMO is an Ideal 34 ILB. All he has to do is play the run and that boy can punish people.

He can, but he has really bad mechanics. Hopefully he can learn with time, but he is terrible at reading plays and taking the correct angles.

broncofaninfla
05-29-2009, 12:17 PM
He can, but he has really bad mechanics. Hopefully he can learn with time, but he is terrible at reading plays and taking the correct angles.

Just curious........what in his play last year lead you to that conlcusion?

BigAL56
05-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Just an example:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80c8fdd0/Michael-Turner-Highlight-WK-11-vs-Broncos-2008

That was Larson's fault. He over-pursued and took a bad angle on the play. Pause the video at :32. Look at where he put himself at position, causing Woodyard to cover Larson's gap and then Turner took where Woodyard should have been. When the Mike backer slides that far, the Will has to follow his lead to shift gap responsibilities. He took himself out of the play. It could just be age and lack of experience, but that kind of stuff is usually instinct. In some cases it can improve in time. If that was the Mike on my team, I would have grilled him pretty hard in the film session.

Just one example, but it was the first play that popped in mind

underrated29
05-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I cant see the video, but i will take your word for it.

however in the 34 his job is a little different. He would have to do two things really well.

1.- take on the blocker to free up our other lbs, or shed the blocker to make the play.

2.- attack the RB. he does not need to worry about gaps as much as just getting contact on the RB. obviously, cutbacks and stuff, but his job is to hit the runner and take him down, if he sheds the blocker or doesnt have one. He would likely come off on third down or passing situations.

But larsen is good at pursuit and hitting. So it shouldnt be too difficult for him to make this adjustment.

shank
05-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Just an example:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80c8fdd0/Michael-Turner-Highlight-WK-11-vs-Broncos-2008

That was Larson's fault. He over-pursued and took a bad angle on the play. Pause the video at :32. Look at where he put himself at position, causing Woodyard to cover Larson's gap and then Turner took where Woodyard should have been. When the Mike backer slides that far, the Will has to follow his lead to shift gap responsibilities. He took himself out of the play. It could just be age and lack of experience, but that kind of stuff is usually instinct. In some cases it can improve in time. If that was the Mike on my team, I would have grilled him pretty hard in the film session.

i bolded what i think is the key. you're right about this play, but it's easy to find some bad plays when looking at a rookie who had only 1 (or was it 2) starts and very limited action. instincts were one of his selling points coming out of college, and he displayed good play-reading on many other plays last season when he was in there.

he doesn't have a big enough of a body of work to say that he has bad instincts or that he takes bad angles. i remember seeing much more good than bad from him last season.

BigAL56
05-29-2009, 12:41 PM
For his sake, I hope you are right. Coaching won't improve this as much as experience on the field would. He has the potential, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in there at this point.

shank
05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
For his sake, I hope you are right. Coaching won't improve this as much as experience on the field would. He has the potential, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in there at this point.

which is why i wish they would just let him focus on playing linebacker. :salute:

LRtagger
05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Sorry, but that play had MUCH more wrong with it than Larsen.

First of all, Winborn overpursued MUCH worse than Larsen. Larsen read the play correctly (it was a counter). MLB will generally hit the first gap and rely on the OLB, DE, and CB to play the counter. Which is #2 and #3. Ekuban misses the play completely. He is running upfield for the sack instead of holding the edge to prevent the run to his side. Also Dre Bly was non-existant on the play to his side. He was the inside corner on the play and wasn't even in screen until Turner got to the endzone. And then there were our safeties....I dont think I need to elaborate on that.

You can't expect a MLB to stand 5 yards off the LOS and wait for the counter to develop before hitting the gap. If he did that, they would average 5+ypc. BUT if you recall this game, besides two long runs, the Falcons averaged less than 2ypc I believe. Spencer made several tackles at the LOS and played very well that game. IMO it was probably our best defensive game all year against one of the better offenses in the league. And that was with Spencer and WW starting.

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Just an example:

What I saw on the was a OG #62 that was untouched by a DL guy from our side nail him out of position.. but he slid off the block and almost caught him before getting to the EZ..

Of course everyone over pursued per see on that one, if he did. but then being a rookie LB I guess he is expected to be perfect on all plays and not to make error against one of the top running games in the NFL..

As an EX OG I lived for those plays to get into the second level untouched to nuke a LB..

MadMax
05-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Ok quick question here, I thought in scrimmages the 1st team offense practiced against the 2nd team defense and vice versa with the 1st defense and 2nd offense. Did the author mistakenly refer to the second team defense as 1st team here or am I just retarded?

....umm scratch that just tell me if I'm wrong :D

Lonestar
05-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Ok quick question here, I thought in scrimmages the 1st team offense practiced against the 2nd team defense and vice versa with the 1st defense and 2nd offense. Did the author mistakenly refer to the second team defense as 1st team here or am I just retarded?

I'm guessing here but I suspect they want the first teams players to get as much time on the field with the playbook as they can before TC starts..

rcsodak
05-29-2009, 11:59 PM

Teams practice differently.

Shanny played 1v2. Others play 1v1.

Maybe McD considers the #1D = #2D. :confused:

horsepig
05-30-2009, 09:36 AM
He does seem to get caught in the traffic. I like what he brings, can he push the LOS?