PDA

View Full Version : Prater

NightTerror218
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
This guy is awesome. I loved Elam but this guy could be like him.

Why wont Elway give him a contract extension? He had a franchise tag placed on him and he has not signed it yet and skipping OTAs. Prater was offered a 5 yr contract that Prater thought was too cheap and would not go for it. The franchise tag is a one year deal. Why postpone it?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/15/matt-prater-absent-broncos-workouts/13477/

underrated29
05-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Im not too worried. He will be here, he wants to be here, we want him here and the girl I know who knows him she said she is not worried.

This was a few ago when I talked to her about this.

SR
05-15-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm not worried.

weazel
05-15-2012, 04:30 PM
This guy is awesome. I loved Elam but this guy could be like him.

Why wont Elway give him a contract extension? He had a franchise tag placed on him and he has not signed it yet and skipping OTAs. Prater was offered a 5 yr contract that Prater thought was too cheap and would not go for it. The franchise tag is a one year deal. Why postpone it?

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/15/matt-prater-absent-broncos-workouts/13477/

I like him too but in the words of our new quarterback... why we talking about an idiot kicker?

GEM
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
That idiot kicker saved this teams ass on more than one occasion...seriously...how much could a kicker cost. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will get done, but don't **** up relationships over kicker money.

Chef Zambini
05-15-2012, 04:39 PM
of all the players, I think the place kicker can miss OTAs and not effect the team. the punter, he is NEEDED for the exercise, the rest of the punt squads NEED a punter out there. place-kicker, not so much.
PRATER had that shot-gun willie episodeso his slate aint clean.
listen, the broncos dont think they need to stop the run, maybe they think they wont need field goals.
He can avoid the camps, he will be there for the games when it matters.

GEM
05-15-2012, 04:53 PM
of all the players, I think the place kicker can miss OTAs and not effect the team. the punter, he is NEEDED for the exercise, the rest of the punt squads NEED a punter out there. place-kicker, not so much.
listen, the broncos dont think they need to stop the run, maybe they think they wont need field goals.

All except for the point where we pay him Top 5 money, piss him off, he leaves and we're left with some jackass who kicks laces in like the nimrod on Ace Ventura. :lol:

Day1BroncoFan
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
We need a good kicker why screw around. Sign him for pete's sake.

Dapper Dan
05-16-2012, 12:33 AM
I saw we release him and never kick the ball. Screw it. Go for it on fourth and go for the 2 point conversions. Let's do this shit.

Kidding, of course.

Release Ty Warren and sign Prater.

OrangeHoof
05-16-2012, 08:10 AM
He'll get signed. Kickers have no leverage.

Cugel
05-16-2012, 08:31 AM
All except for the point where we pay him Top 5 money, piss him off, he leaves and we're left with some jackass who kicks laces in like the nimrod on Ace Ventura. :lol:

That's basically the point. Having an elite PK is a lot MORE important in Denver because of the altitude than in other cities. The Broncos have 8 home games where you can consistently kick FGs from 50 plus yards.

Having a kicker who will consistently MAKE those kicks is critical, especially with Manning. Manning will get the Broncos more first downs, but if the drive stalls somewhere in the 40's it's important to convert those situations to points.

And Prater can do that consistently.

The Broncos are guilty of long-term stupidity in using the franchise tag. Sure Prater will be here THIS season, but kickers last a LONG time in the NFL because they don't get hit much. Which means they will be watching Prater making game winning FGs for some OTHER team for the next ten years if they screw this up! :tsk:

Cugel
05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
He'll get signed. Kickers have no leverage.

Wrong. The best kickers have leverage. They don't make the kind of money that DTs or QBs do, but according to the wage scale of kickers an elite one gets a big long-term contract. And Prater has proven to be one of the best in the NFL.

Denver should keep him and pay him because he performs.

Ravage!!!
05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
We'll get it worked out.

NightTerror218
05-16-2012, 11:19 AM

He could hold out. He has not signed his franchise tag yet.

TXBRONC
05-16-2012, 11:30 AM
It's like Rav said it will work itself out.

NightTerror218
05-16-2012, 11:37 AM
It's like Rav said it will work itself out.

Maybe but one thing I have seen, the FO are penny pinchers and football players dont like be jerked around. So it may work for this year but with all the kickers who have collapsed in the playoffs in the last few years he could get some phone calls right at the end of the season. Was it 2 or 3 years ago when several kickers missed key FGs to win playoff games.

underrated29
05-16-2012, 11:39 AM

actually they use one of those baseball pitching machines to simulate the punts. The punters do punt sometimes but most of the time its those machines.

NightTerror218
05-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I would take league min or less to punt for a team.

Slick
05-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Didn't Prater have some sort of alcohol related incident after leaving a local titty bar last year? Maybe they just want to be sure he doesn't screw up again before signing him long term.

NightTerror218
05-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Didn't Prater have some sort of alcohol related incident after leaving a local titty bar last year? Maybe they just want to be sure he doesn't screw up again before signing him long term.

that would make sense to me. But he was a huge key in wins. He was also very clutch. he got the franchise tag quick. But they offered him a smaller contract then he believes he is worth or short term.

DenBronx
05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Just imagine how many new titty bars he could go to with a new contract!

Ravage!!!
05-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Its not like we can't franchise tag him again. Prater isn't going anywhere if he keeps kicking like he has been. He either gets a new contract, or, he gets the tag again.

NightTerror218
05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Its not like we can't franchise tag him again. Prater isn't going anywhere if he keeps kicking like he has been. He either gets a new contract, or, he gets the tag again.

he will get disgruntle being tagged year in and year out with a contract. He will just hold out.

Ravage!!!
05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
he will get disgruntle being tagged year in and year out with a contract. He will just hold out.

They can't hold out anymore. That's something the owners got in the new CBA. So he can be disgruntled, he can be miffed, and he can threaten to hold out. But it would cost him a TON of money to even try, and then, he would still be contractually obligated to the Broncos.

Cugel
05-17-2012, 12:34 PM
They can't hold out anymore. That's something the owners got in the new CBA. So he can be disgruntled, he can be miffed, and he can threaten to hold out. But it would cost him a TON of money to even try, and then, he would still be contractually obligated to the Broncos.

I thought that the players got the idea of multiple "franchise tags" on the same player year after year disallowed in the new CBA.

So I don't think they can franchise him next year. He becomes an un-restricted FA and will be the most highly sought and highly paid FA kicker in the NFL next season.

The Broncos are going to lose him for sure unless they sign him to a long-term contract BEFORE he becomes a FA.

And it looks like they are just not going to do that. They are going instead to roll the dice and try and sign a veteran kicker or draft another one next year.

The team has been making that kind of mistake for years now, NOT being able to re-sign their own GOOD players before they become FAs. :coffee:

BroncoNut
05-17-2012, 12:40 PM

something about the word titty just offends me. Please use the word breast instead.

OrangeHoof
05-17-2012, 01:12 PM
something about the word titty just offends me. Please use the word breast instead.

Only a boob would say that...

Chef Zambini
05-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I thought that the players got the idea of multiple "franchise tags" on the same player year after year disallowed in the new CBA.

So I don't think they can franchise him next year. He becomes an un-restricted FA and will be the most highly sought and highly paid FA kicker in the NFL next season.

The Broncos are going to lose him for sure unless they sign him to a long-term contract BEFORE he becomes a FA.

And it looks like they are just not going to do that. They are going instead to roll the dice and try and sign a veteran kicker or draft another one next year.

The team has been making that kind of mistake for years now, NOT being able to re-sign their own GOOD players before they become FAs. :coffee:in the past a team could NOT tag a player 2 years in a row,not sure what the new CBA allows.

BroncoNut
05-17-2012, 01:31 PM
in the past a team could NOT tag a player 2 years in a row,not sure what the new CBA allows.

wow. just goes to show you how far the game has come along. nowadays for stoppage of play, the ball carrier actually has to be tackled, or brought to the ground by the defending player. And there is no limit to the number of times a player can be tackled. Several players have been tackled in successive years with no ensuing punitive action

Chef Zambini
05-17-2012, 01:35 PM
yeh. I guess the phrase "tag" has much greater significance with the new NFL and all it is facing.

Chef Zambini
05-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Didn't Prater have some sort of alcohol related incident after leaving a local titty bar last year? Maybe they just want to be sure he doesn't screw up again before signing him long term.he picked up an "entertainer" at the club, shot-gun willies, and with 2 hotels within walking disatance and cabs waiting outside as well as the NFL transport program available to him, he chose instead to drive his car, intoxicated, to a hotel.
apparently the way he parked his car caught the attention of the passing POLICE, and even after he had already submitted his identity to the hotel clerk, identifying himself , he attempted to flee the scene on foot, leaving the entertainer there to answer the police questions.
nOT EXACTLY MENSA MATERIAL, AND LEVERAGE AND JSUTIFICATION FOR OUR BRONCOS TO BALK AT A LONG TERM CONTRACT.
hE WILL BE THE BRONCOS pk THIS YEAR, HE WONT MISS A GAME. NEXT YEAR MIGHT BE a different story.

Chef Zambini
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
if he holds out, he forfeits all this years salary. the broncos still hold his rights, and his one year remaining gets moved to next year.
he gains NOTHING by holding nout, except denying the broncos his services as a PK.

BroncoNut
05-17-2012, 01:46 PM
he picked up an "entertainer" at the club, shot-gun willies, and with 2 hotels within walking disatance and cabs waiting outside as well as the NFL transport program available to him, he chose instead to drive his car, intoxicated, to a hotel.
apparently the way he parked his car caught the attention of the passing POLICE, and even after he had already submitted his identity to the hotel clerk, identifying himself , he attempted to flee the scene on foot, leaving the entertainer there to answer the police questions.
nOT EXACTLY MENSA MATERIAL, AND LEVERAGE AND JSUTIFICATION FOR OUR BRONCOS TO BALK AT A LONG TERM CONTRACT.
hE WILL BE THE BRONCOS pk THIS YEAR, HE WONT MISS A GAME. NEXT YEAR MIGHT BE a different story.

that could have easily have been me.