PDA

View Full Version : DT Grady Jackson ... could Denver use him?

omac
10-24-2007, 02:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3076288&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Falcons offer no explanation for release of veteran Jackson
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- In a surprising move, the Atlanta Falcons released 11-year veteran nose tackle Grady Jackson on Tuesday.

Jackson, who had started in all 23 games since signing with the franchise as an unrestricted free agent in 2006, has long been regarded as one of the NFL's top interior defenders against the run.

No explanation was given for the release, but sources said Atlanta coaches felt that Jackson was not playing the scheme prescribed for him and was freelancing too much.

The abrupt release of Jackson, who physical presence and ability to demand double-team blocking helped improved the Falcons' run defense in 2006, ends a brief but tumultuous relationship between the team and the player.

In March, Jackson, upset over his contract status, sued the Falcons for defamation and invasion of privacy, claiming team officials had leaked information to the media about the physical examination he took with the club in 2006. Jackson charged that the negative information, which suggested he might have a heart condition, scared off other potential suitors who might have considered signing him.

The lawsuit was eventually resolved and the Falcons reworked Jackson's contract, adding a year to the deal he originally signed in 2006 and providing him a mechanism to earn more money. Under the new deal, the Falcons paid Jackson a $250,000 signing bonus and a roster bonus of $250,000, in addition to his $1 million base salary for 2007.

Jackson, 35, was under contract through 2009, at base salaries of $1 million each year and with roster bonuses of $2 million in the spring of 2008 and 2009.

Although he is a vested veteran, Jackson is subject to waivers claims, since the league's trade deadline has passed. Teams may be reluctant to assume his current contract, but if Jackson clears waivers his run-stuffing ability could make him an attractive free agent for teams seeking tackle help over the second half of the season.

Few players can clog the inside like Jackson and, even at his age, he is still effective.

In 146 career games, Jackson has 440 tackles, 33½ sacks, eight forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and 26 pass deflections.

The former Knoxville College star began his career with the Oakland Raiders and played there for five seasons (1997-2001). He has also had stints with New Orleans (2002-03), Green Bay (2004-05) and the Falcons (2006-07).

Atlanta, which ranks 22nd in the league in defense versus the run, is expected to move rookie Trey Lewis, a sixth-round pick who has played well in filling in at both tackles spots this year, into the starting lineup.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

broncofanatic1987
10-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I would like to see them bring him in. Even if they continue with the revamped defense, he should still help bolster the run defense. Jackson and Adams together for 20 plays and Jackson and Thomas together the rest of the time.

Skinny
10-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I think they could, though at the expense of another player. Who?? Possibly Gordon?? Cut Mustard again?? :eek:

I'm not against bringing in anyone at this point to see if a guy can help against the run at the DT postion. Considering it's Grady Jackson. . . .where does he want us to pick him up in the limo?? :laugh:

broncofanatic1987
10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I think Mustard is safe considering the carnage that is the TE group for the Broncos.

Gordon would be a good cut since he's already been deactivated twice this season. At least once because of poor performance in practice. It's never a good thing when a starter is being deactivated for poor performance. They deactivated against the Steelers. Presumably, the reason was because he doesn't fit well in the new(as in last year's defense) approach. I remember Shanahan saying in the offseason that the reason Gordon and Burton didn't get much playing time last year was because they weren't fast enough to play the scheme. Their strength was supposed to give them an advantage in the new scheme because they would be playing with power rather than speed.

I just read Chris Mortensen's chat on espn.com. He was asked a couple of questions about Jackson. He said the reason the Falcons got rid of him was because he refused to be a run stuffer. He wants to get upfield. Since we've adjusted the defense, that isn't necessarily a bad thing for us if we do bring him in. Defensive tackles who penetrate can do a great job of disrupting the running game.

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Hold on guys, before bringing him its important to know why they released him. It should raise red flags that out of nowhere the Falcons have released their best run stuffer.

Melkor
10-24-2007, 02:50 PM
No matter why they released him I would reject him.

I think the defense stepped up against Pittsburgh and I think it showed how much talent we got on that side of the ball.

Just a few more, young, addition and we could once again have a great defense.

We do not need another elderly player in the middle.

broncos9697
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3076288&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

why they cut him I dont know but the team is very upset with the new coach for the move of him.......
I think we could use him greatfully and would like denver to take a good look at him

Watchthemiddle
10-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Hold on guys, before bringing him its important to know why they released him. It should raise red flags that out of nowhere the Falcons have released their best run stuffer.

Its because they are the Falcons and going no where. He probably gave up on the team and stopped playing. WHo knows, thats just my thoughts. Do we want a player like that on the team that might give up when the going gets tough? I say no.

Our team has enough problems to solve before bringing in YET another teams baggage.

ydave77
10-24-2007, 03:15 PM
No,
I have had enough of the mid 30 yr old stopgaps. I think at this pt of the season he would be of little to no help. For him to learn a system that our DTs have tried to learn since pre-seaosn woudl be unlikely. And I certainly dont want him clogging up our salary cap next yr. We need Thomas to continue to improve, then draft or sign another DT in the offseason. He is not the answer.

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 06:19 PM
I would still be curious to know why all of the sudden the Falcons released him.

ChampWJ
10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
The guy definitely knows Bates' system from his years in Green Bay.

omac
10-24-2007, 06:50 PM
I just read Chris Mortensen's chat on espn.com. He was asked a couple of questions about Jackson. He said the reason the Falcons got rid of him was because he refused to be a run stuffer. He wants to get upfield. Since we've adjusted the defense, that isn't necessarily a bad thing for us if we do bring him in. Defensive tackles who penetrate can do a great job of disrupting the running game.

Hmmm ... isn't that the reason we let go of Warren? :D

The guy definitely knows Bates' system from his years in Green Bay.

Well that could be a really big factor.

underrated29
10-24-2007, 07:17 PM
i say yes, i read at pfw that we were regretting trading warren so early. I Think he is exzctley what we need right now. We dont need to keep him for many years, but he could sure help this year. Plus he could probably teach a thing or two to thomas.

I seriously doubt he would garner so much time as to take away from thomas, like stated above i think he would get about 20 reps a game. Thats perfect!

I wouldnt be surprised hat we go get him.

Lonestar
10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
If they got him they could actually go back to the true bates system having 3 Good DT's to rotate in and out of the game something we do not have as we speak.

Unless he got caught in the bathroom with a little boy the Broncos could use him.

Do you know anyone that wants to play for the falcons?

He would allow us another year or two to get another massive DT in here to learn the system.

Simple Jaded
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I would still be curious to know why all of the sudden the Falcons released him.

Besides the fact he has sued them before and his injury issues, there has to be a reason they would cut their best run defender in the middle of the season.

The fact is they could just realize that they are going nowhere and are cutting the cord early....REAL early.

As bad as the run defense has been, the Broncos owe it to themselves to take a look, imo.

Absolutely no long term deal, cause he does have injury issues.

And he is better on his worst day than Gordon is on his best day.

Didn't Jackson play for the Broncos D-line coach in Atlanta?...

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm going to keep repeating this question for awhile. Why was he let go in the first place?

Lorcust
10-24-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm going to keep repeating this question for awhile. Why was he let go in the first place?

His team mates are wondering the same thing.

Simple Jaded
10-24-2007, 09:35 PM
His team mates are wondering the same thing.

Yup!

Hall enraged by Jackson's dismissal
Cornerback calls decision to cut DT 'ludicrous'

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/24/07

Flowery Branch — News of the decision to cut Grady Jackson did not go over well in the Falcons locker room. Several veterans refused comment on the release of the defensive lineman, who had started 22 of 23 games.

One player that did not withhold comment was DeAngelo Hall.

"I don't know what kind of message it sent to let Grady go," Hall said Wednesday. "Coach [Bobby Petrino] didn't address anything with us. You guys probably know more than we know. You guys just talked to him. We don't know nothing. We're going to have to wait and read what y'all put out. We had a team meeting today, kind of thought the team meeting was to talk about that; didn't say one word about it. Had a defensive meeting, didn't talk one word about it. Had practice, broke down practice, didn't talk one word about it.

"We kind of don't know what the reason was, why, what's the next step.We don't know anything. I'm going to read your article tomorrow and see what he had to say."

When Hall was told Petrino said the move was a football decision, he responded: "If that's the case they need to cut about 52 [players], they can cut me too, they can cut all 53 of us. Ain't nobody playing the way they should be playing right now. Obviously. We're 1-6. To single out Grady is asinine. It's ridiculous. We got so many players that haven't made a play around here. It don't make no sense. We gave a lot of people jobs. To sit there and single Grady out and say that's the reason why, that's ludicrous. If you've got something else better and more concrete to go off of, I'd love to hear it. I'm not buying that one."

Other highlights from Hall's interview:

• On Alge Crumpler's remarks earlier this season that the Falcons are minimizing the roles of veteran players: "We all that are in this locker room, we felt what Alge was saying and we kind of agree with him. Obviously, we don't think that was the right way to go about it, but we pretty much agree with Alge was saying."

• On the coaching staff: It's tough to go out there and lay it on the line when you feel as though no one else is laying it on the line. As far as not players, obviously the players are going to play as hard as they can. When you feel like you're not getting – I don't want to say coached 100 percent — maybe they are thinking of something else. It's kind of hard for other guys to play 100 percent ... knowing that everyone's not on board, from the front office on down.

• On his future: "I didn't just sign a lucrative deal where I can sit around and watch this ship sink. I can't do that. I got one more year left on my deal. I feel I can go out and get a ton of money, whether it's here or somewhere else."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/10/24/dhall_1024.html?imw=Y

Jackson can't figure it out either:

Jackson 'trying to figure out why' Falcons cut him

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/24/07

Flowery Branch -- The surprise release of veteran nose tackle Grady Jackson did not go over well in the Falcons locker room Wednesday.

Coach Bobby Petrino said the decision was football-based, which stunned many players who felt the move was further validation of veterans being phased out under the new coaching regime.

Several players declined comment, including tight end Alge Crumpler, who three weeks ago said he felt veterans were being minimized.

Two-time Pro Bowl selection DeAngelo Hall did not refuse comment. He critically summed up much of what other players would only say off the record.

"If that's the case, they need to cut about 52 [players], they can cut me, too, they can cut all 53 of us," Hall said when told that according to Petrino, the release of Jackson was a football decision. "Ain't nobody playing the way they should be playing right now. Obviously. We're 1-6.

"To single out Grady is asinine. It's ridiculous. We got so many players that haven't made a play around here. It don't make no sense. We gave a lot of people jobs. To sit there and single Grady out and say that's the reason why, that's ludicrous. If you've got something else better and more concrete to go off of, I'd love to hear it. I'm not buying that one."

Petrino said that defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer contacted some defensive players Tuesday to let them know of the decision. Petrino said he was not concerned about player backlash.

"It had absolutely nothing to do with anything but football," Petrino said. "It was just the way we wanted to go. We felt like for our best opportunity to win games, the next nine games that we played, that this was the right move to make and that's really all there is to it. We made the move and we're moving forward."

"They told me that I didn't fit their system," Jackson told the Journal-Constitution on Wednesday. "That's what they told me and that they wanted to go younger. From my standpoint, why would you do something like that when the season isn't almost over? In other words, for me, I just feel like they are giving up on the season."

Hall said the release of Jackson was not discussed with the team.

"Coach didn't address anything with us. You guys probably know more than we know. You guys just talked to him. We don't know nothing. We're going to have to wait and read what y'all put out. We had a team meeting today. We kind of thought the team meeting was to talk about that -- didn't say one word about it. Had a defensive meeting -- didn't talk one word about it. Had practice, broke down practice -- didn't talk one word about it.

"We kind of don't know what the reason was. Why? What's the next step? We don't know anything. I'm going to read your article tomorrow and see what he had to say."

Hall, who has one year remaining on his contract, was not just critical of the move to release Jackson, who signed with the Falcons as a free agent in 2006 and filed a lawsuit against the team in the offseason. Jackson led all Falcons defensive linemen with 21 tackles, according to NFL statistics.

"It's tough to go out there and lay it on the line when you feel as though no one else is laying it on the line," Hall said. "As far as, not players, obviously, the players are going to play as hard as they can. When you feel like you're not getting -- I don't want to say coached 100 percent -- maybe they are thinking of something else. It's kind of hard for other guys to play 100 percent . . . knowing that everyone's not on board, from the front office on down."

Veteran linebacker Keith Brooking said the players are united in moving forward.

"When things like that happen, you can't look too deep into it or try to analyze it and figure out why it took place, the reasons or having an opinion on the matter," Brooking said. "We have to move on. As far as sending a message, it's not sending a message to me. What takes place on this team, who's released, I'm a professional and I'm going to approach this job the same way. So it's not going to send me a message for me to work harder or hold me accountable. I'm going to do that every day no matter what takes place."

When asked if this move validated Crumpler's assertion that the veterans were being phased out, tailback Warrick Dunn said, "If you're on the outside looking in, you're going to say yes. That's what the people on the outside looking in will say when you get rid of a guy who's played well for you since he's been here."

Rookie Trey Lewis, a sixth-round draft pick from Division II Washburn, will start.

"It was unexpected because I thought Grady was playing fine and I don't know what the reasoning behind it was, but I guess they have faith that I can take over," Lewis said. "Any rookie right now with the Falcons is getting their share of lessons. Everything has happened in this organization that can happen to you as a rookie. New coaching staff, the whole [Michael] Vick thing.

"You really see the business side of everything with the cuts. It goes to show you this is a business and you've got to treat it as such. We've been taught a lot of lessons real fast."

-- Staff writer D. Orlando Ledbetter contributed to this article.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/10/24/grady_1024.html

You guy's gotta see the picture of Jackson on this page....

Simple Jaded
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/05/30/91/image_5991305.jpg

ChampWJ
10-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Do you know anyone that wants to play for the falcons?

Mike Vick wants to.

BaiLeY324
10-24-2007, 10:28 PM
We'll probably make a play for him

TXBRONC
10-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Mike Vick wants to.

I think Vick wouldn't playing with 52 nerds if it meant he didn't have to be in prison.

omac
10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
• On the coaching staff: It's tough to go out there and lay it on the line when you feel as though no one else is laying it on the line. As far as not players, obviously the players are going to play as hard as they can. When you feel like you're not getting – I don't want to say coached 100 percent — maybe they are thinking of something else. It's kind of hard for other guys to play 100 percent ... knowing that everyone's not on board, from the front office on down.

This is practically the players saying management is intentionally tanking the season. Imagine playing hard but feeling your coaches are doing everything in their power to make you team lose. :tsk:

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 03:44 AM
Mike Vick wants to.

vick just wants not to be in Jail and would love any pay check..

Retired_Member_001
10-25-2007, 08:54 AM
The main positive towards signing Grady Jackson would be he knows Bates system very well because he played under Jim Bates in Green Bay.

The main negative is it would probably mean Marcus Thomas would be forced out of the starting lineup.

I wouldn't be suprised if we signed him, and I wouldn't be suprised if we passed on him.

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
The main positive towards signing Grady Jackson would be he knows Bates system very well because he played under Jim Bates in Green Bay.

The main negative is it would probably mean Marcus Thomas would be forced out of the starting lineup.

I wouldn't be suprised if we signed him, and I wouldn't be suprised if we passed on him.

I think he would fit right in the natural rotation. Thomas would get his time on the field and OJT is not all that he needs right now he is going from playing a short senior season to 16+ games the nest year IMO a disaster waiting to happen injury wise.

This year is toast lets get ready for next year. Having someone to spell Adams or to be next to Sam in running situations and then bringing in Thomas for passing situations is the right thing to do.

eessydo
10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Just my 2 cents on this subject. I live in Atlanta and am subject to watching their crappy football team every weekend. This guy is 33, played 7 games last year due to injury and has been a zero impact player on the falcons since he arrived from GB. Not the supreme run stuffer he used to be.

His best days were with Oakland, plus he just may add to the awful attitude being slung around the locker room by Rice. We should let this guy walk.

broncofanatic1987
10-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Since there hasn't been any news about Jackson being picked up by another team, does that mean he has already cleared waivers and is an unrestricted free agent now?:confused:

Skinny
10-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Since there hasn't been any news about Jackson being picked up by another team, does that mean he has already cleared waivers and is an unrestricted free agent now?:confused:I beleive, not 100%, but i read somewhere he was to be on waivers for 24 hours then he would become a FA.

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Just my 2 cents on this subject. I live in Atlanta and am subject to watching their crappy football team every weekend. This guy is 33, played 7 games last year due to injury and has been a zero impact player on the falcons since he arrived from GB. Not the supreme run stuffer he used to be.

His best days were with Oakland, plus he just may add to the awful attitude being slung around the locker room by Rice. We should let this guy walk.

Perhaps it is not Grady that is playing crappy but the rest of the team. Hard to be motivated as pond scum..

HIS teammates end to differ from your opinion..

eessydo
10-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Perhaps it is not Grady that is playing crappy but the rest of the team. Hard to be motivated as pond scum..

HIS teammates end to differ from your opinion..

Well I am sure you can find plenty of Broncos players that feel our defensive tackles are adequate and that Ian Gold is invaluable, doesn't mean they are.............just means they like the guy and support him.

That is what team mates are supposed to say. That's why they have coaches making decisions and not team mates.

Like putting the cart in front of the horse.

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Well I am sure you can find plenty of Broncos players that feel our defensive tackles are adequate and that Ian Gold is invaluable, doesn't mean they are.............just means they like the guy and support him.

That is what team mates are supposed to say. That's why they have coaches making decisions and not team mates.

Consider the source of who is making that decision in ATL..

Are the players wondering what happened they are the ones on the field i have yet to hear anyone say it was a good move. Considering he is gone and there is nothing good coming out of standing up for him other than wrath from the coaches I think the argument you make teammates standing up for him are not as weighty as you think they are.

eessydo
10-25-2007, 02:17 PM
The source? it is a new, and from what I can tell, relatively objective coach. Being local to the market I get to watch this team under a microscope via the local media. If you have not been watching the Falcons too closely, you'll realize they are in exceptional disarray. They were a team with no discipline for the last three years under Mora with an owner that enabled the behavior. This year they are a bunch of prima donna's, trying to posture against the new coach, bobby patrino.

Discipline, Smishipline, they are all trying to get a ticket out of town. By the way, DeAngelo Hall got disciplined with a huge fine by the Falcons when he yelled at petrino on the sideline and he still continued to run his mouth about Petrino. It is just the way it is down here, they don't care about what he is going to do.

The players have cried wolf too many times down here and continue to show how selfish they are, I'll side with the coach on this one. Whatever discipline they will face, they just don't care about.

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 02:28 PM
The source? it is a new, and from what I can tell, relatively objective coach. Being local to the market I get to watch this team under a microscope via the local media. If you have not been watching the Falcons too closely, you'll realize they are in exceptional disarray. They were a team with no discipline for the last three years under Mora with an owner that enabled the behavior. This year they are a bunch of prima donna's, trying to posture against the new coach, bobby patrino.

Discipline, Smishipline, they are all trying to get a ticket out of town. By the way, Dante Hall got disciplined with a huge fine by the Falcons when he yelled at petrino on the sideline and he still continued to run his mouth about Petrino. It is just the way it is down here, they don't care about what he is going to do.

The players have cried wolf too many times down here and continue to show how selfish they are, I'll side with the coach on this one. Whatever discipline they will face, they just don't care about.

I'm a forum guy over there while I do not post I follow them fairly well. Get all of there updates.

Petrino is not IMO a NFL coach still has to much college stuff running through his veins.

I'd take Grady in a heart beat he is better than all of our DT except perhaps Sam and that might be close do to Sam's inability to play more than 12-15 plays a game.

He good for a couple of years Again IMO long enough to draft another massive DT and get Thomas and other sup to speed. Is he a long term solution not drafting quality players on the DL is. Throwing them to the wolves before they are ready is not.

eessydo
10-25-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm a forum guy over there while I do not post I follow them fairly well. Get all of there updates.

Petrino is not IMO a NFL coach still has to much college stuff running through his veins.

I'd take Grady in a heart beat he is better than all of our DT except perhaps Sam and that might be close do to Sam's inability to play more than 12-15 plays a game.

He good for a couple of years Again IMO long enough to draft another massive DT and get Thomas and other sup to speed. Is he a long term solution not drafting quality players on the DL is. Throwing them to the wolves before they are ready is not.

I think he got dealt a crappy set of cards and is making the most of talented but seriously disfunctional team. He understands the NFL game, just needs the Petrino pieces to the puzzle and he will learn as he goes.

As for good enough, we could have picked up Tank Johnson too who is far superior to Jackson. If we passed on him what makes you think we will go after Grady Jackson?

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I think he got dealt a crappy set of cards and is making the most of talented but seriously disfunctional team. He understands the NFL game, just needs the Petrino pieces to the puzzle and he will learn as he goes.

As for good enough, we could have picked up Tank Johnson too who is far superior to Jackson. If we passed on him what makes you think we will go after Grady Jackson?

At the time we still had warren and Kennedy if memory serves correct.

tank Johnson has issues I do not think that other than playing to OAK and ATL at one time the Grady does. That can not be held against him.

underrated29
10-25-2007, 03:46 PM
i just read on espns rumor central that indy,tenn, and oaklnad are the only teams who have expressed intrest in grady.

and they say that yes he has cleared waivers.

omac
10-25-2007, 09:41 PM

There are rumors that Petrino and management are intentionally tanking the season. What's your take on that?

Lonestar
10-25-2007, 10:36 PM
There are rumors that Petrino and management are intentionally tanking the season. What's your take on that?

Personally they would be stupid not to.. Go for the best draft choices they can Vick is done there they need alot of help, they did before he got stupid.

topscribe
10-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Would I cut Gordon or Burton for a chance to get Grady Jackson?

:nod:

----

Stargazer
10-26-2007, 01:49 AM
If nobody signs Grady, I'm sure someone will give him a camp invite for next season. The guy's contract is guaranteed for the rest of the season. Even though he's not a Falcon, he's getting paid.

Lonestar
10-26-2007, 01:53 PM
If nobody signs Grady, I'm sure someone will give him a camp invite for next season. The guy's contract is guaranteed for the rest of the season. Even though he's not a Falcon, he's getting paid.

Which means if he clears waivers he should be able to get on the cheap at least for this year..

broncosinindy
10-26-2007, 11:46 PM
i read somewhere that denver will not take a look at him. we dont need a locker room cancer or a warren type that does not want to run stuff and if any of that is true you have to pass on him...

Simple Jaded
10-27-2007, 12:29 AM
i read somewhere that denver will not take a look at him. we dont need a locker room cancer or a warren type that does not want to run stuff and if any of that is true you have to pass on him...

He's 350LB's! He's better against the run than Gordon/Burton whether he wants to be or not....

Den21vsBal19
10-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Only thing I've seen on us & Jackson, Thursday's RMN (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5732027,00.html)~

ETC

• The Broncos have talked internally about veteran defensive tackle Grady Jackson - Johnson coached him in Atlanta - but it's unlikely the Broncos will pursue him.

speardog
10-27-2007, 08:29 AM

Funny how Gold gets singled out for everything yet DJ Williams gets a pass.

Lonestar
10-27-2007, 11:50 AM

gold should by now know what he is doing.. DJ is learning a brand new system and JOB Big difference.. BIG D

gold has been coasting for years. He had Al to help clean up his poor play. Not there any more to do it. The time of 220 LB is way past and the game has passed him by..

TXBRONC
10-27-2007, 02:51 PM

D.J. wasn't responsible for covering the TE Gold and the safeties especially Ferguson were.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Actually, there were a lot of players where DJ dropped back into coverage and had responsibility. Especially when Miller was out on that flag route pass that went for a score. Both of 'em messed up.

TXBRONC
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Actually, there were a lot of players where DJ dropped back into coverage and had responsibility. Especially when Miller was out on that flag route pass that went for a score. Both of 'em messed up.

No the responsibility fell to Gold, Webster, and Ferguson throughout the night.

broncosinindy
10-28-2007, 08:09 AM
He's 350LB's! He's better against the run than Gordon/Burton whether he wants to be or not....

and i am glad he is a 350 lb fat a$$ he is good againt the run but has been said he is sick of being aclogger so just because he fits a possible locker room cancer or a fella that might not want to play the system does not concern you?

Lonestar
10-28-2007, 05:29 PM
and i am glad he is a 350 lb fat a$$ he is good againt the run but has been said he is sick of being aclogger so just because he fits a possible locker room cancer or a fella that might not want to play the system does not concern you?

do you have a quote?

Requiem / The Dagda
10-28-2007, 06:36 PM
No the responsibility fell to Gold, Webster, and Ferguson throughout the night.

I don't think you understand defenses and coverages. If you're saying that DJ Williams doesn't have responsibilities in coverage, you're dead wrong.

Simple Jaded
10-28-2007, 06:47 PM

You tell him that this is how you'd use him and if he doesn't like it he can continue to stew on the waiver wire.

I'm just saying he's an upgrade even if he doesn't try to be.

And if you think 'Raggedy Am' Gordon getting his AASSSS kicked doesn't have an effect on the locker room, well I'd beg to differ....

broncosinindy
10-29-2007, 08:18 AM
do you have a quote?

Sorry Jrwiz i was reading it on the net the other night Ill search for a link although i dont know if i can find it.

Grady as we speak is stewing on the waiver line... Although he knows the system. He has played for Bill Johnson and Jim Bates, and they are not exactly jumping to sign him even knowing that the guys we have are killing us. Something just dont seem right.

Lonestar
10-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Sorry Jrwiz i was reading it on the net the other night Ill search for a link although i dont know if i can find it.

Grady as we speak is stewing on the waiver line... Although he knows the system. He has played for Bill Johnson and Jim Bates, and they are not exactly jumping to sign him even knowing that the guys we have are killing us. Something just dont seem right.

I guessing should he clear waivers they will look at him. Mikey rarely plays cards number side up so if they have talked to him or plan to it will be real covert until they make the decision..

Personally I think they would be stupid not to bring him in for the rest of the year as an audition for a large contract. He can't be any worse than the featherweights we have now, outside Sam adams..

underrated29
10-29-2007, 11:09 AM
well id think theyd like to bring him in, but i dont htink they know who to get rid of to bring him aboard.

It wont be the mustard, it wont be a wr or te, most likely not a lb, def not a cb,or s,oline? no way,we already lost2 guys there. We need all our dlineman, even if they suck or not. the only thing i can think of is FB-we keep bell and on other and drop the 3rd (do we even have 3 fb?) who is #3 rb? (cant cut him since travis might not make it another 3 weeks)

I just hink they wouldnt know who to cut to add him.

topscribe
10-29-2007, 11:26 AM

When we talk about the likes of Miller, Gates, and Gonzalez and how our boys
get beaten by them, we have to remember that those guys beat a lot of
people. They are going to beat our players and players on the other teams, too.
That's what they do, and why they are recognized as good at what they do.
Scheffler has been doing the same thing when he's healthy.

You won't find many LBs or safeties who match up well with any of these guys.
So to discuss the deficiencies of our players when matched up against them
is to present them as paradigms of the whole league.

-----

eessydo
10-29-2007, 11:46 AM

"Tanking" is a strong word, and it is not a rumor, it was DeAngelo Hall's response to the Jackson cut that started the discussion.

DeAngelo Hall is not the guy I want on my football team. He incites revolt be making stupid comments ie the following (via Peter King's SI.com MMQB article), "To sit there and single out Grady is just asinine. It's ridiculous ... We've got so many players that ain't made a play around here. We gave a lot of people jobs. Now, to sit around here and single Grady out and say he's the reason why [the team is losing] ... that's just ludicrous. If they've got something better and more concrete to go off of, I'd love to hear it. But I'm not buying that one............I didn't just sign a lucrative deal where I can sit around and watch this ship sink.''

The Falcons are horrible, and they need to start seeing who stays and who goes. They are not going to win out the rest of the way, so why not use the rest of the season to evaluate all of the positions on your team and eliminate those that don't fit in.

"Intentionally taking the season", definitely not, sacrificing a couple of games to see what pieces of the puzzle need improvement, definitely. Don't think for a moment though that he is intentionally making play calls to lose the game for the Brian Brohm sweepstakes. He is still putting his team in a position to win, but some of them are not stepping up to the plate and executing the gameplan, and they should go.

Smart if you ask me.

TXBRONC
10-29-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't think you understand defenses and coverages. If you're saying that DJ Williams doesn't have responsibilities in coverage, you're dead wrong.

I have alot more understanding than you'll ever realize. All you had do actually read the post. I didn't say D.J. doesn't have responsibilty in coverage.

My post was very clear in that I was speaking about the Sunday night game.

topscribe
10-29-2007, 12:28 PM
I have alot more understanding than you'll ever realize. All you had do actually read the post. I didn't say D.J. doesn't have responsibilty in coverage.

While the MLB does get some coverage responsibilities, most of his play
involves an area. If a receiver cuts through his area, the MLB picks him up,
and when the receiver leaves it, the MLB drops off the coverage and returns
to his area. Although this is an oversimplification, that is the general
concept on how MLB is played, even when the defense is primarily in man
coverage.

At least, that is how it was done when I played.

-----

TXBRONC
10-29-2007, 03:02 PM
coverage.

-----

That's exactly how D.J. interception came about. He was covering an area not any particular receiver.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Then you act as if Williams played a flawless game in coverage against the Steelers. He did not.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-29-2007, 03:15 PM
coverage.

-----

Yeah, more often than not a MIKE is going to be playing in a designated area (zone coverage) than picking up a man. Where I agree that Ferguson, Webster and Gold struggled immensely in their coverage assignments, Williams needs to get better, and there were several times from observations that he wasn't making the correct reads in coverage. It's bound to happen, and coverage has never been a huge strength of his.

TXBRONC
10-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Then you act as if Williams played a flawless game in coverage against the Steelers. He did not.

I don't believe we've talking about his preformance, rather his responsibilities in coverage. I'm fairly certain that I have said nothing of the sort.

topscribe
10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, more often than not a MIKE is going to be playing in a designated area (zone coverage) than picking up a man. Where I agree that Ferguson, Webster and Gold struggled immensely in their coverage assignments, Williams needs to get better, and there were several times from observations that he wasn't making the correct reads in coverage. It's bound to happen, and coverage has never been a huge strength of his.

Oh yes, definitely, D.J. needs to get better. I do, however, believe he has
been improving with each game. Let's not forget that he is playing in a brand
new position, in a brand new system, with brand new players all around him.
He has drawn one tough assignment. We need to give him time.

-----

Lonestar
10-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Oh yes, definitely, D.J. needs to get better. I do, however, believe he has
been improving with each game. Let's not forget that he is playing in a brand
new position, in a brand new system, with brand new players all around him.
He has drawn one tough assignment. We need to give him time.

-----

Actually it sounds like the second NEW SYSTEM this year..

broncosinindy
10-29-2007, 09:18 PM
I dont care what anyone says at this point DJ is playing with a lot of heart he is not the problem on this D. he is definetly getting better every week and i dont think MLB is a big need this upcoming off season. we need TWO OLB a NT and two safetys

speardog
10-31-2007, 04:25 AM
Is Grady still available? It's insane that he isn't in a Bronco uni yet.

broncofanatic1987
10-31-2007, 11:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3087464

Lonestar
10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Landing Jackson adds further depth and experience to a defensive tackle unit that already rates among the NFL's best.

The Jaguars feature a pair of Pro Bowl tackles in former first-round draft choices Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. The backups are Rob Meier, Tony McDaniel and Derek Landri. But the Jaguars, who statistically rank No. 15 in the league in both total defense and defense versus the run through the first eight weeks of the season, haven't yet gotten the kind of play at the position to which they are accustomed.

Stroud underwent offseason microfracture surgery to address a chronic ankle problem and his rehabilitation stretched into training camp, where he was limited to one practice per day. Henderson has struggled at times in 2007 to reach his past performance level. There is some suspicion that Henderson is not 100 percent physically.

Jackson has the kind of size head coach Jack Del Rio and defensive coordinator Mike Smith prefer upfront and he would fit well with a unit whose first priority is to stop the run.

Jacksonville is one of several teams to have contacted agent Angelo Wright about Jackson, and is the only franchise with which he scheduled a visit. The day after his release, Jackson said his priority was to sign with a playoff contender.

Last week's abrupt release of Jackson, whose physical presence and ability to command double-team blocking helped improved the Falcons' run defense in 2006, ended a brief but tumultuous relationship between the team and the player.

In March, Jackson, upset over his contract status, sued the Falcons for defamation and invasion of privacy, claiming team officials had leaked information to the media about the physical examination he took with the club in 2006. Jackson charged that the negative information, which suggested he might have a heart condition, scared off other potential suitors who might have considered signing him.

The lawsuit was eventually resolved and the Falcons reworked Jackson's contract, adding a year to the deal he originally signed in 2006, and providing him a mechanism to earn more money. Under the new deal, the Falcons paid Jackson a $250,000 signing bonus and a roster bonus of $250,000, in addition to his $1 million base salary for 2007.

Jackson, 35, was under contract through 2009 at base salaries of $1 million each year, and with roster bonuses of $2 million in the spring of 2008 and 2009.

Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said the release of Jackson was strictly a football decision and it is true that he was not playing well and was uncharacteristically doing a lot of freelancing and playing outside the directives of the Atlanta scheme. But team sources also conceded that part of the rationale in releasing Jackson was to send a message to some veterans on the slumping team.

His spotty play this season aside, few players can clog the inside like Jackson and, even at his age, he is still effective.

In 146 career games, Jackson has 440 tackles, 33½ sacks, eight forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and 26 pass deflections.

The former Knoxville College star began his career with the Oakland Raiders and played there for five seasons (1997-2001). He has also had stints with New Orleans (2002-03), Green Bay (2004-05) and the Falcons (2006-2007).

Mikey blew a chance at getting a warm body on this one

Requiem / The Dagda
10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Mikey blew a chance at getting a warm body on this one

Yeah, Mike really blew this one considering that Trulove is responsible for pro scouting and that Sundquist is the General Manager whose job would to bring this guy in, or make contact with his agent. Might want to through in Goodman in there too directing player personnel.

Whose to say that Denver didn't express interest?

Considering that we have his old defensive line coach, if he thought he would have been worth it, perhaps he we would have pursued him.

Stop-gaps only help short-term, not long-term.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Gee, wonder why Jacksonville signed him? Stroud is facing a four-game suspension for violating the substance abuse policy.