PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's 2012 Draft Grades Video - Denver Broncos

EmDiggy
05-14-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbCKjnkSIII

Good evening Broncos fans! Here's my Draft Grades video for you guys!

Enjoy!

Em

chazoe60
05-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the video. I disagree a little about our first two picks but I agree with everything else.

iLands
05-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Whoa. I didn't know you posted here. Cool!

TXBRONC
05-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Once again Em great job! :beer:

There are some Denver fans that are gumbling about the Osweiler pick and not so much becasue he's a quarterback but because they didn't wait until the 4th or 5th round. Anyone taken outside of the top five is more than likely going to need time to develop. I don't think Denver hurt themselves by taking Osweiler.

silkamilkamonico
05-15-2012, 08:55 AM
There are some Denver fans that are gumbling about the Osweiler pick and not so much becasue he's a quarterback but because they didn't wait until the 4th or 5th round. Anyone taken outside of the top five is more than likely going to need time to develop. I don't think Denver hurt themselves by taking Osweiler.

This drives me crazy for 2 reasons.

1 - Osweiler would not have been there in the 4th or 5th round. He probably might not have even been there by the time we drafted with our second 2nd rounder.

2 - who reallys wants to take some far fetched project no skilled QB in the 4th or 5th round? I don't. If Devner didn't take Osweiler I would have rather of waited until next year, and would have been furious if they would have wasted a pick on a QB there.

TXBRONC
05-15-2012, 09:17 AM

1 - Osweiler would not have been there in the 4th or 5th round. He probably might not have even been there by the time we drafted with our second 2nd rounder.

2 - who reallys wants to take some far fetched project no skilled QB in the 4th or 5th round? I don't. If Denver didn't take Osweiler I would have rather of waited until next year, and would have been furious if they would have wasted a pick on a QB there.

I don't see how it's so much better to draft a quarterback in 4th or 5th round when he's still going sit two or three years. It's hard to say if they would find someone that Elway thinks is as good or better than Osweiler.

Ravage!!!
05-15-2012, 10:24 AM
EM, you have really grown in your field. I remember watching your stuff years ago, and can quickly see how much you have grown and improved. Thanks for your work.

EmDiggy
05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the video. I disagree a little about our first two picks but I agree with everything else.

Thanks Chazoe! What's your take on the 1st two picks?

Whoa. I didn't know you posted here. Cool!

Preciate that iLands :)

Once again Em great job! :beer:

Thanks Homie! *chugs beer*... That's the biggest issue I have with it. This guy has a lot to develop. I wish he would've stayed that extra year in Tempe

2 - who reallys wants to take some far fetched project no skilled QB in the 4th or 5th round? I don't. If Devner didn't take Osweiler I would have rather of waited until next year, and would have been furious if they would have wasted a pick on a QB there.

Osweiler isn't what you're making him out to be.. Just because you're tall and throws hard doesn't make you a great QB prospect. Just saying that maybe a guy that can help you immediately would've been better suited than a guy that may now provide dividends for the team in at least 2-3 years.

EM, you have really grown in your field. I remember watching your stuff years ago, and can quickly see how much you have grown and improved. Thanks for your work.

Thanks Big Ravage! I look back at those 09 videos and SEE the huge growth! Glad its been like fine wine!

I don't see how it's so much better to draft a quarterback in 4th or 5th round when he's still going sit two or three years. It's hard to say if they would find someone that Elway thinks is as good or better than Osweiler.

We shall see.. I wonder who else Elway thought would be worth it?

topscribe
05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Em, a high five for you, mainly for the plug you gave Broncos Forums at the
end of your vid.

I was not particularly impressed with your analysis of the Wolfe and
Osweiler picks, and you ignored the Bolden pick, which I believe just may be
the one that gives the Broncos a "A" draft (along with Wolfe and Osweiler,
IMO), come about three years from now.

But that's only difference of opinion. I still think you did a fine job.

Ravage!!!
05-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Osweiler isn't what you're making him out to be.. Just because you're tall and throws hard doesn't make you a great QB prospect. Just saying that maybe a guy that can help you immediately would've been better suited than a guy that may now provide dividends for the team in at least 2-3 years.
Depends. I mean, OZ has all the odds against him, but no more so than any other drafted player. However, being that its a QB, the dividends gained are MUCH MUCH higher than they would be if it was any other position that might start 'now.'

I have no idea how good Oz is going to be, however, I think taking a QB now makes sense considering out situation.

T

EmDiggy
05-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Em, a high five for you, mainly for the plug you gave Broncos Forums at the
end of your vid.

I was not particularly impressed with your analysis of the Wolfe and
Osweiler picks, and you ignored the Bolden pick, which I believe just may be
the one that gives the Broncos a "A" draft (along with Wolfe and Osweiler,
IMO), come about three years from now.

But that's only difference of opinion. I still think you did a fine job.

Thanks Topscribe! Do you think Wolfe is talented enough to get on the field as a potential starter? How about make a significant impact as a rookie.. if the answer is no, then that's why the pick would be considered a reach. As for Osweiler, athletes are creatures of habit. QBs that make bad decisions, will always make bad decisions.. I just don't see the upside of his game. (just my honest opinion)

Bolden is a solid guy coming off injury...didn't profile him because his selection didn't intrigue me enough. Though I do think he'll be much more of a contributor than the 2 drafted above him.

Depends. I mean, OZ has all the odds against him, but no more so than any other drafted player. However, being that its a QB, the dividends gained are MUCH MUCH higher than they would be if it was any other position that might start 'now.'

I have no idea how good Oz is going to be, however, I think taking a QB now makes sense considering out situation.

T

I'm calling for a Rob Johnson-like ceiling.. Flashes enough to tease you, Does enough to piss you off

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Emory-

Did you get my PM on the other message board?

Ravage!!!
05-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks Topscribe! Do you think Wolfe is talented enough to get on the field as a potential starter? How about make a significant impact as a rookie.. if the answer is no, then that's why the pick would be considered a reach.
Hmmm, well even Wilfork wasn't very good until his 3rd year. People were calling him a bust until that season. DT takes time to be truly a major force in the NFL. That being the case, you can never expect a DT to make "significant impact" his rookie season. If thats considered a reach, than every DT ever taken in the first 2 rounds are reaches (ok, maybe not Suh).

As for Osweiler, athletes are creatures of habit. QBs that make bad decisions, will always make bad decisions.. I just don't see the upside of his game. (just my honest opinion)
Drew Brees is on line 2

Also, how many top picks in the NFL failed even though they were supposed to be "good decision makers" when being drafted? I mean, it goes both ways. Hence why top picks fail in the NFL, you just never know.

I'm calling for a Rob Johnson-like ceiling.. Flashes enough to tease you, Does enough to piss you off
Possibly. But we just don't know. Either way, I don't think the pick was bad. I think wasting a pick later would have been just as bad since you don't look for your "future starter" in the 5th-6th round. At least with Os, you give a kid that has some good talent and some top potential an opportunity to learn from the best before putting him into the line of fire. This is what many have said is the "ideal situation" for many. Will he work out? :whoknows: the odds are highly against him. Just as the odds are highly against ANY QB taken in ANY round. But if you want to increase your odds of success, you take a higher round prospect.

topscribe
05-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks Topscribe! Do you think Wolfe is talented enough to get on the field as a potential starter? How about make a significant impact as a rookie.. if the answer is no, then that's why the pick would be considered a reach. As for Osweiler, athletes are creatures of habit. QBs that make bad decisions, will always make bad decisions.. I just don't see the upside of his game. (just my honest opinion)

Bolden is a solid guy coming off injury...didn't profile him because his selection didn't intrigue me enough. Though I do think he'll be much more of a contributor than the 2 drafted above him.
Talented? Sure, he's talented, else he wouldn't have gone in the 2nd round.
But what sets him apart, and the reason the Broncos passed up the likes of
Worthy to select him, is his motor and his heart. They're off the charts!

I remember another guy who didn't appear to have the talent. His name was
Karl Mecklenburg. Didn't go until the 12th round. After Gradishar, he was the
best linebacker the Broncos ever had, and is a legend today, as I'm sure you
are aware.

IMO, Wolfe will be starting sometime this year, along with Bolden.

And, trust me, Osweiler is more than just a "tall guy who throws hard." He is
accurate, mobile, and his intelligence is in Manning's category, IMO.

Personally, I am thrilled with this draft, especially with Blake rounding out the
upper portion. To me, the Broncos got just what they needed. :)

EmDiggy
05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Emory-

Did you get my PM on the other message board?

Yep! Check out my response!

And, trust me, Osweiler is more than just a "tall guy who throws hard." He is
accurate, mobile, and his intelligence is in Manning's category, IMO.

Personally, I am thrilled with this draft, especially with Blake rounding out the
upper portion. To me, the Broncos got just what they needed. :)

I was with you up until that...then I was like: http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/omg/ernie.gif

All jokes aside, certain guys always rise to the occasion, but Oz never did while at ASU.. I tend to judge QBs on how well they do in pressure and clutch situations.

Hmmm, well even Wilfork wasn't very good until his 3rd year. People were calling him a bust until that season. DT takes time to be truly a major force in the NFL. That being the case, you can never expect a DT to make "significant impact" his rookie season. If thats considered a reach, than every DT ever taken in the first 2 rounds are reaches (ok, maybe not Suh).

Drew Brees is on line 2

Also, how many top picks in the NFL failed even though they were supposed to be "good decision makers" when being drafted? I mean, it goes both ways. Hence why top picks fail in the NFL, you just never know.

Possibly. But we just don't know. Either way, I don't think the pick was bad. I think wasting a pick later would have been just as bad since you don't look for your "future starter" in the 5th-6th round. At least with Os, you give a kid that has some good talent and some top potential an opportunity to learn from the best before putting him into the line of fire. This is what many have said is the "ideal situation" for many. Will he work out? :whoknows: the odds are highly against him. Just as the odds are highly against ANY QB taken in ANY round. But if you want to increase your odds of success, you take a higher round prospect.

Wilfork was dominant in college though and went into a situation in NE where he was learning a new position. The same can be said for Glenn Dorsey, who's in a bad scheme for his skill set

topscribe
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I was with you up until that...then I was like: http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/omg/ernie.gif

All jokes aside, certain guys always rise to the occasion, but Oz never did while at ASU.. I tend to judge QBs on how well they do in pressure and clutch situations.
LOL!! Well Em, I guess you had the same reaction when Elway and Fox said
much the same things about Osweiler. We'll just have to agree to disagree?
We'll see in two or three years. :wave:

TXBRONC
05-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Em I understand you could be right about Denver's first two picks. I give Elway and Fox the benefit of doubt because Elway certainly knows what it takes to play in the NFL and Fox knows defense. In no way, shape, or form will I say these guys destined for greatness just because Denver drafted them but neither can I just write them off. No player taken any draft guarantteed success.

I'm sure Elway and Fox broke down game film just as you have done it's just that they came a different conclusion.

You asked another poster if they thought Wolfe would make impact this year. I don't seem him pulling a Ndamukong Suh but I think he can still be productive.

Chef Zambini
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM

2 - who reallys wants to take some far fetched project no skilled QB in the 4th or 5th round? I don't. If Devner didn't take Osweiler I would have rather of waited until next year, and would have been furious if they would have wasted a pick on a QB there.who did the redskins take in the fourth, a guy many rated as the third best QB in the draft.
eeelway already admitted he morgaged the present for the future. he was fixated on brocko, now we can only hope his singular fixation will be justified because it is no diffferent than JMCD being fixated on TEBOW.

Chef Zambini
05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
I hope OZ works out! with the limited window that PM provides I have a hard time justifying morgaging our present for the future.
OZ we hopefully wont have any clue for 3 years! if he has to play this year, he will look like a fool.
then we will all wonder why a safer NOW pick like kellen moore would not have made more sense.
KM will win THIS year if stafford goes out.
I dont think even ELWAY expects OZ to win a game this year !
again, in 3+ years I hope it all works out, oz is a project !
a second pick of our draft, with so many other needs project.
heck, at least hillman will contribute THIS YEAR!
excuse me for being so retarded that I think any teams first 2 picks of the draft should be able to start as a rookie.
unless of course you are the oakland retards and your first pick isnt until round 4

Cugel
05-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Really rather depends on whether Osweiler ever becomes a good starting QB for the Broncos. Elway thinks he can. He's Elway's guy.

But, few other people think so.

Is he another Aaron Rogers or the next Brian Griese, whom Mike Shanahan insisted had "as strong an arm as Joe Montana" for whatever that was worth. :rolleyes:

Ravage!!!
05-16-2012, 01:10 PM
who did the redskins take in the fourth, a guy many rated as the third best QB in the draft.
eeelway already admitted he morgaged the present for the future. he was fixated on brocko, now we can only hope his singular fixation will be justified because it is no diffferent than JMCD being fixated on TEBOW.

Mortgaged?????? Please, show me that quote. I know, very well, that is not what was said.

(:lol: Who had Cousins as the third best QB in the draft?? )

NightTerror218
05-16-2012, 01:14 PM
who did the redskins take in the fourth, a guy many rated as the third best QB in the draft.

Brock was considered 3rd or 4th best QB in draft behind Weeden. 3rd best because of Weeden's age.

Northman
05-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Agreed.

Just a quick glance ive 2 separate sites that had Cousins no higher than the 6th best QB in this class. Nowhere have i seen him being ranked as the 3rd best.

silkamilkamonico
05-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Tall and throw hard is irrelevant. He's an intriguing prospect with great upside, and if he would have stayed another year he could have fought to be a top 3 QB in next years draft and a Round 1 talent.

I for example liek the idea that the front office is thinking about long term. Let's be real, Manning has 3 maybe 4 years left and that's it. We need to do everything we can to help him, with the one exception of finding his future replacement.

Maybe Osweiler busts, but not thinking about life after Manning means in 3-4 years, this organization is starting from ground 0. Maybe they still will, but they are doing things to prevent that now. I don't want to be a bottom dweller for 5-10 years after manning retires.

silkamilkamonico
05-16-2012, 03:38 PM

The redskins took a guy, one in which 32 NFL teams passed over multiple times, and 5 NFL teams passed to draft someone else at the same position. Hell, the Redskins drafted him kowing full well they will never even give him a chance to compete for the starting position.

Cousins has very little, if any upside. Glad Denver didn't waste a 4th round pick on him, or any one of those QB's who will never amount to anything in the NFL.

topscribe
05-16-2012, 03:52 PM
The redskins took a guy, one in which 32 NFL teams passed over multiple times, and 5 NFL teams passed to draft someone else at the same position. Hell, the Redskins drafted him kowing full well they will never even give him a chance to compete for the starting position.

Cousins has very little, if any upside. Glad Denver didn't waste a 4th round pick on him, or any one of those QB's who will never amount to anything in the NFL.
Can you imagine the meltdown, had the Broncos taken one of those QBs in
the 4th, with Omar Bolden still on the board?

Superchop 7
05-17-2012, 12:59 AM
I am usually on my phone, just got a chance to see the video.

The Wolfe pick is a bit of a hoodwink pick......everyone in Denver wants a DT......but Elway gets a guy that will play alot at DE......this kills two birds with one stone. (fan base is happy...Elway gets what he wanted all along) The question is ? Can teams afford to run the ball against us with a high powered offense ? (this is why Elway thinks our run d is not going to matter)

I think this pick was an overdraft and most experts agree, imo they should have been after DeCastro and would have had an easy move with Cleveland who wanted to move down at 22. (Cost would be a 5th for a pro bowler)

The Osweiler pick was horrible, he is one of the worst looking prospects of all time, the critics that call him a clumsy oaf have it right. LaMichael James should have been the pick.

Hillman pick.....well, they may have been hoping that James fell further than he did, San Fran did not mess around and picked him at 61, Hillman reminds me of Tatum Bell....I am glad they went wiith a change of pace type back.....it is a weapon that Manning has never had and will work well in this style of offense.

Omar- hit it out of the park, I feel great about this pick. The acl will heal and next year he will be a stud.

Blake- Technically very good, they will need to work on his strength, given time, he could be a nice pick up.

Jackson- imo he is fairly run of the mill.

Trevathan- another guy that is technically very good but needs to work on strength, should be a stud on special teams for now.

Synopsis- Teams with a great defense and a running game will give us trouble, This draft is McDaniel esque from the standpoint that our biggest need was poorly addressed in a draft that had alot of talent at the position plus the tendency to overdraft. There were better options on the board. DeCastro-James-Thompson

TXBRONC
05-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Mortgaged?????? Please, show me that quote. I know, very well, that is not what was said.

I heard recently Elway was on one Denver's local radio programs what he said was something to the effect that he has balance the present with future.

MOtorboat
05-17-2012, 07:47 AM
I heard recently Elway was on one Denver's local radio programs what he said was something to the effect that he has balance the present with future.

The quote comes from the season ticket holders meeting and it ONLY refers to the SINGLE 4th Round Pick Denver used to move up a few spots to get Osweiler. Elway elaborated saying they didn't want to take a chance of him not being there when they picked, and they felt like giving up the fourth round pick was a solid choice to do that.

But fair warning, Zam will twist those words for years to come.

Cugel
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM

It's hard to "mortgage your future" with a late 2nd round draft pick!

In fact the Broncos gave up a LOT less to get Brock Osweiler than they did Alphonso Smith. And while that was a HORRIBLE pick, it didn't "mortgage the Broncos future."

That expression might apply to the Redskins who traded several first and second round draft picks to get RGIII. If he winds up like Vince Young, then they're in trouble. Same thing when the Raiders blew the #1 overall pick on JaWalrus Russell.

But, not a 2nd rounder. That's disappointing at worst.

Cugel
05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
The quote comes from the season ticket holders meeting and it ONLY refers to the SINGLE 4th Round Pick Denver used to move up a few spots to get Osweiler. Elway elaborated saying they didn't want to take a chance of him not being there when they picked, and they felt like giving up the fourth round pick was a solid choice to do that.

I don't get it. What trade? Denver used it's #57 pick of the 2nd round to get Osweiler. That was their ORIGINAL 2nd round draft pick. They didn't "move up" to get him. They moved BACK into the 2nd to get Wolfe, but #57 was NEVER traded.

Take a look at the NFL's Draft Tracker (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:2), which lists every trade. Notice that there wasn't one at #57.

The Broncos moved up in the 3rd round by trading #87 for the Browns #67 and giving up a 4th rounder, but they did that to draft Hillman.

TXBRONC
05-17-2012, 09:51 AM

I just got around reading Andrew Mason's article with exact quote earlier this morning.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2012, 12:53 AM
We moved up to take Hillman in the 3rd.