PDA

View Full Version : Williams Embraces New Position

Denver Native (Carol)
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9072
You can hear DJ speaking with media on above link

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos got a captain back on Wednesday.

After missing the first two mini-camps recovering from surgery, D.J. Williams was back on the practice field today for the first time this offseason, with minimal participation.

"Still a little rusty," he conceded. "But I feel like I did pretty well."

The sixth-year linebacker left the field in Week 9 of last season with a knee injury that kept him sidelined until he retained his starting job in Week 15. It wasn't his knee that kept him off the field this offseason, however.

In fact, it was a far less publicized injury. Williams said his shoulder had been bothering him off-and-on last season. One week it would be fine, but all it took was an awkward hit or landing and the pain would come shooting back.

So he had surgery to repair what turned out to be a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder this January. He is currently in the process of finishing up a prescribed four-to-five month recovery period.

But Williams hasn't been away from the facility -- he's been in film sessions, rehabbing and working out, getting to know his new teammates. Like many of his defensive comrades, he finds himself getting more and more excited about the new defensive scheme under Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan.

It is requiring him to make yet another position change, but he said he is already finding out that his new linebacker slot fits him perfectly.

"I love my position," he said. "I don't want to give away too much about what my position is and what I get to do, but I think the position highlights what type of player I am."

Though he won't specify what kind of duties he'll have in the new defense, he did reveal that he is lining up at the "Jack" linebacker spot -- the inside linebacker on the weak side (away from the tight end).

That's a spot on the defense that allows plenty of plays to be made, if one judges off another recent Jack linebacker in a Nolan defense -- San Francisco's Patrick Willis.

Willis was named the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2007 and made the Pro Bowl in both of his first two seasons, leading the NFL with 226 tackles as a rookie and racking up triple-digit tackles last season as well.

The team, and Williams, would love for him to put up the same type of numbers in 2009. He has put up more than 100 tackles each of the past two seasons, and even after the first day of limited practice, he's already drooling at the prospects for this year.

"I'm enjoying what it is so far," he said of his spot on the defense. "Like I said, this is my first day out, but just being in the film rooms and Coach telling me, 'On this play you have this, on this play you have that.' I like that, because 'this' and 'that' is what I like to do."

Though he was plenty secretive about his position, he did echo what many players on the defense have been saying already this offseason about the new scheme -- it's all about attacking.

Williams described it as "swarming," and talked about the fact that the team plans on utilizing the strengths of individual players to be able to dominate matchups all over the field.

"We've got a lot more packages, a lot of disguises, a lot of different things," he said. "We can have a lot of fun and highlight certain players and what they can do."

It should be a welcome change for a defensive unit that has taken a lot of flack since the start of the 2008 season. Many point to that side of the ball as the reason for some of the downfalls last season, but Williams said people shouldn't forget all the injuries that plagued the defense. At one point, all three starting linebackers were out with injury, a starting safety was sidelined and Champ Bailey missed a large chunk of the season.

So now the team is ready to come out and show what it can do this season. Williams said there are plenty of players with a chip on their shoulder.

"I definitely think so, and worse than that we've got 10 or 12 guys that have got chips on their shoulders that weren't even here, because they're just automatically taking on the burden of what we did last year," he said. "But we have a positive attitude. We don't have a chip on our shoulder like we've got to prove this and prove something to the world. We feel that we knew we had talent last year. Because of injuries, things like that -- a play here, a play there -- things didn't go to well.

"We see this year as a chance to make that up."

Requiem / The Dagda
05-27-2009, 07:19 PM
He's the type of guy that could thrive under Nolan, I really hope he does but I'm not banking on it.

Simple Jaded
05-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Hopefully Williams can settle into one position for the remainder of his career, all this moving around has done him a disservice, imo.

He should be more of a fan favorite, if you ask me, he's been all-business from Day1, he's given up position after position, given up his jersey number (to a much lesser player) and has played in a new system almost annually, while never missing a game til he missed 5 games last season.

His biggest flaw is not being Steven Jackson and Wesley Woodyard.......

bcbronc
05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I think "jack" is the ideal position for DJ as long as there is a decent line in front of him and his partner in the middle is a thumper that can take on guards and centres leaving DJ free to get to the ball.

Simple Jaded
05-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I think "jack" is the ideal position for DJ as long as there is a decent line in front of him and his partner in the middle is a thumper that can take on guards and centres leaving DJ free to get to the ball.

I think they said he's starting at WILB, isn't "Jack" an OLB position?.......

MOtorboat
05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
I think they said he's starting at WILB, isn't "Jack" an OLB position?.......

According to him, in his own words...www.denverbroncos.com...he is playing the "Jack" position, which is the inside linebacker position opposite the tight end.

Simple Jaded
05-27-2009, 09:31 PM
According to him, in his own words...www.denverbroncos.com...he is playing the "Jack" position, which is the inside linebacker position opposite the tight end.

So Jack is an ILB? Somebody posted that it was a Rush LB/DE hybrid.......

MOtorboat
05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
So Jack is an ILB? Somebody posted that it was a Rush LB/DE hybrid.......

Click on the video/audio tab up their and his interview is the top interview. According to him its the inside linebacker opposite the tight end.

Lonestar
05-27-2009, 10:01 PM
He got the dirty end of the stick every year he has been here.. playing something new almost all the time..

I hope learning all of those positions will help him in the new one this year..

I have to say he was very complimentary of mike, something he was not right after the change over he was quoted as saying the D felt like a second class citizen because of the lack of support it got.. He was also saying good things about the old players and saying it was not a lack of talent but little things here and there as well as injuries..

Lets hope that the DL can keep folks off of him and they can all pick up what needs to be done ASAP..

LoyalSoldier
05-27-2009, 11:04 PM
The title of the thread should be

"Williams Embraces New Position (Again)"

Davii
05-27-2009, 11:17 PM
He's the type of guy that could thrive under Nolan, I really hope he does but I'm not banking on it.

I think he could probably thrive in any LB position in any system personally. He's just one hell of an athlete.

I'm damn glad he's a Bronco.

Lonestar
05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I think he could probably thrive in any LB position in any system personally. He's just one hell of an athlete.

yep but we are going to be paying him a mint the next few years.. when Woodyard came in and played to ALMOST his level for a heck of a lot less...

Requiem / The Dagda
05-27-2009, 11:28 PM

I personally (and respectfully) disagree, because Williams lacks the cerebral aspect to make him an excellent player. Nobody has ever had doubts about his athleticism. That is why he was able to come into the NFL early, and one of the reasons he was a high draft selection. Everyone in the NFL is gifted athletically, but it takes a takes a person with the "it" factor and certain mental intangibles to become a great player. Williams is good, but probably not worth the money we invested in him due to his schematic ambiguity.

Given the extension, we'll have to make due with him. As I stated earlier, he is the type of athlete that Nolan could mold into something special, but Nolan also requires an extremely high defensive IQ from his players. The ability to diagnose plays in front of you and the enhanced role of an inside linebacker in his scheme is paramount, and I really question the ability for Williams to handle this mentally, because he has not been able to do it at any of the 4-3 positions (outside WILL as a rookie; which requires the least cerebral prowess) he has been at.

Unfortunately, he was tossed around from position to position (it is a shame we brought Ian Gold back) and never got an honest chance to learn one position. He's going through what, his third or fourth defensive coordinator -- along with his fourth position change? It is a pity. Had he been able to stay at WILL; I think we'd have a perennial Pro-Bowler in Williams; but as of now he's just an average linebacker with excellent athleticism.

I'm rooting for him though, because we certainly need him to step up and help lead this team. The one thing I do admire about Williams is he has never made a gripe about having to be moved around. (Besides saying he really didn't like playing SAM.) He is a true team player and that is very commendable.

getlynched47
05-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Anybody wanna help me understand something?

When looking up the "Jack" linebacker in a 3-4, some say that it is the WILB (running around and making plays) and others say it's the SILB (run stuffing)....I assume DJ will play the WILB, but why are there so many different definitions for the Jack Linebacker?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/bucky_brooks/01/23/scouts.buzz/

Barnett and Hawk figure to play prominent roles as inside linebackers in the 3-4. The "Mike" linebacker in the defense plays as a "sideline-to-sideline" chaser who is often the free hitter in the defense. The "Jack" takes care of the dirty work (takes on blockers on isolations and power runs) to free up the "Mike" to chase all over the field. With Hawk and Barnett both having the athleticism and instincts to excel in the middle, the Packers could have both players spend time at "Mike" and "Jack." Either way, the scheme should result in more big plays from the hard-hitting duo.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/5/7/481970/mhr-university-modern-3-4

In the 4-3 we call the LBs nicknames, based on position, from weakside to strong side "WILL, MIKE, SAM" (for strong, middle, weak). But in the 3-4 they are named (in the same order weak to strong) JACK, WILL, MIKE, and SAM.

Elevation inc
05-28-2009, 12:48 AM
the jack LB in Mike nolans 3-4 attack defense is the WILB, its a combination of mike and WLB from the 4-3 its the same position patrick willis played for nolan, its also is a playmaking position away from the TE, this will hep DJ becasue he wont get as tied up and while at times he does struggle to diagnose plays, finally settling in a set role with the same d coaches could really help turn him into a patrick willis type playmaker.

he has the same skill set and he has always been a above average Lb that hasnt reached his full potential, the good news is we may finally start to see it show

horsepig
05-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Its nice to see DJ being not only optimistic but, enthusiastic. He's never really been a whiner but, he's also never been this enthused about his new position and the defensive philosophy.

I'm startin to get fired up already!