PDA

View Full Version : Expect No Less

Denver Native (Carol)
05-27-2009, 06:36 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/expect-no-less/

Renaldo Hill spoke with the media after practice today, and he talked a little about how the team is coming together already this offseason.

It’s a tough undertaking to step into a locker room filled with a lot of new names, but everyone is bonding and getting to know one another quickly.

“That’s big about the offseason, because we’re pretty much around each other all day every day,” he said. “It gives us a chance to get to know one another. You might not get the names in the first couple weeks, but eventually you get around to knowing everyone and knowing everyone’s personality. That’s the good part about it — knowing who you’re going to be around helps you that much more on the football field.”

And Hill knows who he’s going to be around in the defensive secondary — former teammate and playmaker Andre’ Goodman, future Hall-of-Famers Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins and three 2009 NFL Draft picks, among others. The hope is that going into this year that unit can create more plays to help the team win games.

Hill said there are several things to focus on this offseason to make sure the secondary is successful come the season.

“Not making mistakes, being sound, being accountable to one another, minimizing gains and not giving up deep balls — that’s a huge thing that we’re focusing on this year,” he said.

Last season with the Dolphins, Hill said from what he saw in the film room, the 2008 Denver secondary didn’t play up to its full potential.

“Secondary-wise, I was just hearing that it wasn’t a good year,” he recalled. “A lot of injuries. A lot of deep balls going over their heads. That’s just the perecption I heard, I don’t know as far as what the guys were saying on the team. But coming in, that was the scouting report we had.”

But now that he’s part of the team, he sees what the unit is capable of. In fact, he said he believes the mix of veteran leadership and youth will combine to create great success. More specifically, he said the Broncos secondary should be No. 1 unit in the league in 2009.

“It’s our expectation,” he said. “We’ve all played a lot of football in this league. There’s a lot of talent back there, so we’re not expecting anything less. Our goal is to be the top secondary in the league.”

“If we’re not considering ourselves to be the top, we’re selling ourselves short.”

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

NightTrainLayne
05-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Man, I can't wait to see it. Hopefully, it won't be an embarassment again.

hotcarl
05-27-2009, 09:23 PM
if renaldo hill says it, im sold.

thanks, renaldo!

underrated29
05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Man, I can't wait to see it. Hopefully, it won't be an embarassment again.

It cant be we got rid of the worst defensive coach the league has ever seen. And then on top of that we replaced it with one of the better DC in the league.

The more and more i analyze our team i think we go 10-6.

But an improved defense to better than middle of the pack would be a great start.

Dirk
05-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Great expectations to have from Hill and the others. I wouldn't cry over having the best secondary in the league! :salute:

But it's a little too early to say that. ;)

horsepig
05-28-2009, 05:57 PM
This just might be a fun team to watch build themselves up this year. Great improvement on defense with an eye to a much deeper defensive draft coming up next year.

SoCalImport
05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
With Hill and Dawkins back there they could have their shoe laces tide together and still be an improvement over last years FS, SS combo.

Lonestar
05-28-2009, 08:34 PM
With Hill and Dawkins back there they could have their shoe laces tide together and still be an improvement over last years FS, SS combo.

I remember many folks saying how good they would be because they were vets from good programs.. and maybe they were, but was it slowitt or the players or for that matter lack of position coaching..

I also remember thinking and probably posting that the clown from SAN was just that he had been cut from the team for a reason OTHER than money.. and as good as their front 7 have been over the past few years they stunk at Pass defense.. so something was wrong there.. I thought it might be him and I think I was correct once again..

SoCalImport
06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9616124/Best-under-the-radar-moves-of-the-offseason

6. The buzz-worthy move: Denver signs S Brian Dawkins
The under-the-radar move: Denver signs CB Andre Goodman

Denver's secondary should be bolstered by adding ex-Dolphin Andre Goodman. (Al Bello / Getty Images)
In Dawkins, the Broncos get a 12-time Pro Bowl selection and arguably the most beloved player in Philadelphia Eagles history. In Goodman, they get a potential breakout star that, despite being 30, is on the verge of becoming one of the NFL's better cornerbacks.

After battling a laundry list of ankle, knee and shoulder issues in previous seasons, Goodman stayed healthy and started 16 games for the miracle Dolphins last season. He led Miami in interceptions and passes defended in '08. Denver's got Champ Bailey at one corner spot and spent a future first-round pick on 2009 second-round selection Alphonso Smith. But don't sleep on Goodman. He could be the brightest star of all three in '09.

Goodman now NEEDS (or rather we need goodman) to stay healthy. Obviously a concern considering the afford mentioned "laundry list of ankle, knee and shoulder issues".