PDA

View Full Version : Barrett and Prater Kick Off Camp

Denver Native (Carol)
05-26-2009, 09:28 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/barrett-and-prater-kick-off-camp/

The team kicked off the first day of 11 days of passing camp on Tuesday, and Matt Prater and Josh Barrett spoke with the media afterward. Here are the highlights of their press sessions.

BARRETT

The second-year safety said this stretch of camps is a little different than the first two mini-camps. The main difference is it feels like they’re starting to be able to play football a little more smoothly instead of learning something new at every turn.

“It’s definitely a more comfortable stage to be in,” he said. “You’re picking up things a lot quicker, there’s not as much lag time between when you learn something and then when you’re able to apply it on the field. So having that, it’s helpful.”

But Barrett said there’s certainly still learning going on. For him and the other defensive backs in particular, some of that learning has come from Brian Dawkins.

“I just try to take in little things,” Barrett said. “You don’t even have to ask questions, but through his actions, through his demeanor you can pretty much pick up on a lot of stuff.”

One of the things the secondary is learning about is bringing a game-time work ethic to practice. Barrett said the defensive secondary talks every day about how unacceptable the number of takeaways was last year. Now they’re taking steps to make sure they force more turnovers and make more game-changing plays in 2009.

“We’ve got drills that are just for stripping the ball, just for working on what we call low-impact angles, where you’re not going to be the guy maybe to make the first hit, but you might be the first guy to be able to get a shot at the ball to get the ball loose,” he explained. “So certain things like that, aggressiveness like that is what we really need to work on.”

Prater’s talking points are after the jump.

PRATER

Prater said he takes last year as a learning experience, and he’ll do certain things this season to make sure his leg doesnt get fatigued by the end of the year. One thing he’ll do is take a few less kicks here and there, from warm-ups to after practice during the week, to try to stay fresh. He has already taken steps this offseason to make sure he’s rejuvenated come the start of the 2009 campaign.

“I took about a month off to try to freshen up my leg and get some of that pop back that I had early in the year and kind of faded off towards the end,” Prater said.

The “pop” seems to be back — he said field goal drills went really well today, even in windy conditions, and he knocked them through the uprights as far back as 62 yards.

That’s a good thing heading into this round of camps, and with training camp around the corner, Prater has shown the coaches enough that there hasn’t been a kicker brought in to compete.

“That just shows me they have confidence in me, as well as I do in myself,” Prater said. “That means a lot, especially with a new head coach in. They brought in a lot of new guys, and they didn’t bring a kicker. So that’s pretty confidence-building for me, and kind of flattering as well.”

Prater said he hasn’t changed his mechanics much — after watching tape he realized that most all of his mistakes were based on fatigue, and some were mental errors like over-compensating for wind. One thing that Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer has asked Prater to change is his stance on field goal attempts, however. He wants his body to end up a little more over his front foot and over the ball, “so instead of stepping into the kick I’ll kind of fall into it.”

The kicker said he’s already very comfortable with the new technique, but the transition is being made even easier with the skill and consistency of long snapper Lonie Paxton.

“Every field goal snap he snaps, it makes the holder’s job easier and it makes it easier for me,” Prater explained. “The holder just puts it down — the laces are already there — they just have to put it down and lean it. Punt snaps, too, he gets them back there quick and consistent. I don’t want to jinx him, I should knock on wood, but Coach McDaniels said he hasn’t had a bad snap in nine years. So that’s pretty impressive.”

Those are the main points from today’s media session. We’ll be back with a similar set-up tomorrow, then Thursday’s practice is completely open to the media, so we’ll have coverage ranging from a blog notebook from practice to a Broncos TV piece to video and audio of player interviews. Stay tuned.

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

gobroncsnv
05-27-2009, 06:52 AM
I guess McD is comfy with Paxton, but along with EVERYBODY else, I can't remember a bad snap with Leach... Plus, he got in on a LOT of ST tackles as well. That deal was just plain wierd.

Lonestar
05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Praters comments about:

"but the transition is being made even easier with the skill and consistency of long snapper Lonie Paxton.

“Every field goal snap he snaps, it makes the holder’s job easier and it makes it easier for me,” Prater explained. “The holder just puts it down — the laces are already there — they just have to put it down and lean it. Punt snaps, too, he gets them back there quick and consistent."

leads me to believe that perhaps Leach's snaps were not always Quick and consistent.. If he is making a issue of it perhaps there is enough difference that he has noticed it..

And while Leach was good perhaps this kid is even better.. was he worth the extra coin? who knows..

Dirk
05-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Either way (about Paxton-Leach) the team seems to have a completely different attitude in these camps. They are buying into the system on both the offensive and defensive sides.

This could be a really interesting year coming up! :D

Fan in Exile
05-27-2009, 08:26 AM
This is coming from the front office I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a snow job to convince people that ditching Leach and overpaying for Paxton really was a good idea. I'm not a Josh hater but this move really just didn't make sense.

frauschieze
05-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Meh. At this point, they want positive things out of camp and Prater knows he's got a good deal (i.e. no competition). Leach did have the occasional bad snap, approximately 1 per year. They gave me coronaries.

I'll wait to see how Paxton really does. For the sake of the team, I hope he really hasn't had a bad snap in nine years and won't have a bad snap for the next nine years.

Lonestar
05-27-2009, 08:51 AM
This is coming from the front office I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a snow job to convince people that ditching Leach and overpaying for Paxton really was a good idea. I'm not a Josh hater but this move really just didn't make sense.

unless prater got a promotion to the front office, it sounds like he was doing the talking as a player..

I agree that we probably overpaid for him but, if he makes a small difference whether punts get off faster or the holder on FG and the kicker have more confidence then he is worth it..

Time will tell..

Fan in Exile
05-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Meh. At this point, they want positive things out of camp and Prater knows he's got a good deal (i.e. no competition). Leach did have the occasional bad snap, approximately 1 per year. They gave me coronaries.

I'll wait to see how Paxton really does. For the sake of the team, I hope he really hasn't had a bad snap in nine years and won't have a bad snap for the next nine years.

You now it's against the COC to post on someone else's account right? :D

frauschieze
05-27-2009, 08:54 AM
You now it's against the COC to post on someone else's account right? :D

LMAO! My wounds are healing slowly.

Dirk
05-27-2009, 08:58 AM
LMAO! My wounds are healing slowly.

As are a lot of ours...but yours are/were probably the deepest. ;)

Traveler
05-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Anyone else notice the quotes coming from the defensive all seem to say that they are learning something about their positions that that haven't been taught previously?

Might have something to do with the switch in schemes, but my hope is that the coaches are actually coaching them up moreso than in the past.

Lonestar
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Anyone else notice the quotes coming from the defensive all seem to say that they are learning something about their positions that that haven't been taught previously?

Might have something to do with the switch in schemes, but my hope is that the coaches are actually coaching them up moreso than in the past.

I caught it as learning how to TACKLE first and strip the ball second.. a novel thought right!!!!!!!!!

Traveler
05-27-2009, 01:09 PM
I caught it as learning how to TACKLE first and strip the ball second.. a novel thought right!!!!!!!!!

One can only hope.

broncohead
05-27-2009, 01:09 PM

How many blocked punts/kicks did we have because of a slow snap?

MOtorboat
05-27-2009, 01:10 PM
How many blocked punts/kicks did we have because of a slow snap?

12 :2thumbs:

BroncoBJ
05-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Praters comments about:

"but the transition is being made even easier with the skill and consistency of long snapper Lonie Paxton.

“Every field goal snap he snaps, it makes the holder’s job easier and it makes it easier for me,” Prater explained. “The holder just puts it down — the laces are already there — they just have to put it down and lean it. Punt snaps, too, he gets them back there quick and consistent."

leads me to believe that perhaps Leach's snaps were not always Quick and consistent.. If he is making a issue of it perhaps there is enough difference that he has noticed it..

And while Leach was good perhaps this kid is even better.. was he worth the extra coin? who knows..

Maybe Paxton is the reason why Adam Vinatieri was so clutch. :eek:

:elefant:

Lonestar
05-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Maybe Paxton is the reason why Adam Vinatieri was so clutch. :eek:

:elefant:

Hey I do not know but that could be a BIG yes.. I know he did not quite have that same magic at his next stop..

BroncoBJ
05-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey I do not know but that could be a BIG yes.. I know he did not quite have that same magic at his next stop..

Yea, Thats what I was thinking as well. With Indy he hasn't been As Great. Hell, He missed a 28 yard FG against the Chargers. :mad:

Maybe Paxton is something special. I know that Adam had plenty of clutch kicks at New England. :salute:

Lonestar
05-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Yea, Thats what I was thinking as well. With Indy he hasn't been As Great. Hell, He missed a 28 yard FG against the Chargers. :mad:

Maybe Paxton is something special. I know that Adam had plenty of clutch kicks at New England. :salute:

we know that Josh is really high on him as snapper, so I suspect that is a lot to do with that.. Leach was pretty damned good and I really liked him, so I'm hoping that he is that much better..

BroncoBJ
05-27-2009, 01:26 PM
we know that Josh is really high on him as snapper, so I suspect that is a lot to do with that.. Leach was pretty damned good and I really liked him, so I'm hoping that he is that much better..

Yea, I liked Leach as well. Josh was really high on Cassel as a QB and Lamont as a RB :lol:
I think he is just high on every Patriot.
I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Hopefully he shocks some people with his decision making. :rockon:

Nomad
05-27-2009, 02:24 PM

TACKLING would be an upgrade in itself with the defense and ST. It's always been chest bump (not even big hits), try and strip the ball, then run from behind and try to tackle.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Thought it was interesting to see Barrett admitting that he'll be lining up at MIKE or JACK on occasional packages in the hybrid defense.

Fan in Exile
05-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I want to point out that I was really bothered by this quote, "One of the things the secondary is learning about is bringing a game-time work ethic to practice." I mean seriously what does that say about their attitude last year? Maybe it really was a day spa under Mikey.

underrated29
05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I want to point out that I was really bothered by this quote, "One of the things the secondary is learning about is bringing a game-time work ethic to practice." I mean seriously what does that say about their attitude last year? Maybe it really was a day spa under Mikey.

I thought that too, but i was thinking it was more along the lines of slowicks stupid system. That the players hated it and him soo much that they just didnt care to bring anything because his system was crap.

I mean, i know nothing about defensive schemes and such, but i could call a better defense than he did. I PROMISE!

But it could have been a day spa too. Atleast now, they are playing like men!

Lonestar
05-27-2009, 06:21 PM
+

DJ made a comment after meeting the new coach to the effect that he was impressed. That last year the Defensive players felt like second class citizens..

I think that with slowitt in charge of that side of the ball and the lack of coaching.. I have not heard about any of them be signed by NFL teams but that is not to say they were not, if that is true then I think that and the way they were made to feel just telling them hi in the morning and calling them by name may make a 50% improvement in attitude..

If they are actually taught how to tackle and then strip instead of going for the big hit only maybe we will see another 40% increase in productivity.

There have been big issues with this team for years IMHO and they will be seeping out for years to come..