View Full Version : Vegas Oddsmakers Don't Believe in the Broncos

topscribe
05-23-2009, 08:55 AM

Armstrong: Early line on Broncos: 7.5 wins

By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/23/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Notes. . . .

We interrupt today's regularly scheduled Nuggets note for this important announcement: The wise guys in Vegas don't believe in Josh McDaniels.

How do we know? Because the over/unders for NFL win totals have hit the board at the Las Vegas Hilton, the world's largest sports book, and the Broncos are listed at 7.5.

That's it. Mike Shanahan was shown the door after an 8-8 season, and Vegas doesn't envision things getting any better in his absence. And just so you know . . . the man responsible for that number is Hilton sports-book director Jay Kornegay, a Denver native who bleeds orange and blue.

"The number not only represents the changes they made, but their schedule is just plain brutal," Kornegay said. "From Week 4 through Week 12, it's very ugly, unless you're a Chargers fan. They might even lose during that bye week.

"They better get off to a fast start or fans will be calling for Carmelo & Co. by early October. Never thought I'd say that." . . .

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12433969

"They might even lose during that bye week." Wow. Looks bad from their perspective. :shocked:

-----

nevcraw
05-23-2009, 09:30 AM

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12433969

"They might even lose during that bye week." Wow. Looks bad from their perspective. :shocked:

-----

Kornegay - with a name like that I be pretty negative too..

Outside the normal internal optimism that they will go 19-0 it's hard to see everything coming together so quickly on a 3 phases. But who really knows - Moreno could become a star rookie. Orton or Simms could be born to play this sytem and rips it up when they are not handing it off to one of the decent running backs. The defense may start getting turnovers and quell the long run plays. The ST could tackle. (hard to see this area not inproved with the influx of strong ST'ers)
Best possibility yet - they become a Team in spirirt early and that helps bring the above to fruition..

We shall see.. .

Lonestar
05-23-2009, 01:12 PM
personally right now 7.5 is overly optimistic..

We very well could lose on the bye week..

spikerman
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I think Vegas may be too optimistic. After the Cutler debacle I was thinking I would be pleasantly surprised with 6 wins. After the draft I'm down to 5. I really hope I'm wrong, but...........

DenBronx
05-23-2009, 02:13 PM
i dont see us doing better than last year unless moreno really does become all he is expected to be. moreno is not a bust but i wonder if he will take a year or two to finally break out or if he will do good right away in the pros.

Lonestar
05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
i dont see us doing better than last year unless moreno really does become all he is expected to be. moreno is not a bust but i wonder if he will take a year or two to finally break out or if he will do good right away in the pros.

I think he will be good from the git go..

But the schedule is brutal as we speak..

Therefore we may lose alot of games.. hopefully no blowouts..

OrangeHoof
05-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Vegas is trying to be kind. 7.5 is about three wins over where I'd put them.

Fan in Exile
05-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm taking the over on this on. I'll be rolling in the money :rockon:

NameUsedBefore
05-23-2009, 03:48 PM
An under with that is a very solid bet.

silkamilkamonico
05-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I think it's probably because they've been burnt by Denver the last 10 years.

NickelTG
05-24-2009, 01:08 AM
I don't

LoyalSoldier
05-24-2009, 01:16 AM
I can't say as I blame them with as much as we have gone through.

Fan in Exile
05-24-2009, 07:31 AM
I can't say as I blame them with as much as we have gone through.

It's not whether they've gone through a lot or not that makes a difference it's whether what they went through was good or not. After seeing the off-season moves that they've made I think we've got good reason to be optimistic.

Medford Bronco
05-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Why should they. This team looks like crap on paper now.

I hope when games start they prove me and others wrong.

I see 7-9 at best next year. Our D still sucks and offense
looks worse without crybaby Cutler

broncophan
05-24-2009, 09:36 AM
I think/hope we have reason to be optomistic............but not this season.I sure can't see any more than 5 or 6 wins......I just hope, with all the changes, the team gets better as the season progresses...so we have a reason to expect good things for the 2010/2011 season.

GO BRONCOS....

Tned
05-24-2009, 12:57 PM
When McDaniels decided to get into a pissing contest and then trade his QB, all bets are off.

If Orton doesn't become a star in McD's system, when you combine that with the schedule and not knowing how quickly (weeks, months, years???) the defense will become solid, it isn't too big a stretch to say this team could be in the 3-5 win range. If that happens, trading our first rounder next year will really look bad.

Now, looking at things from a positive viewpoint, I think we can win 7-9 games (possibly more, but unlikely with all the changes plus the schedule), but a lot has to go right for that to happen.

Lonestar
05-24-2009, 01:55 PM
When McDaniels decided to get into a pissing contest and then trade his QB, all bets are off.

If Orton doesn't become a star in McD's system, when you combine that with the schedule and not knowing how quickly (weeks, months, years???) the defense will become solid, it isn't too big a stretch to say this team could be in the 3-5 win range. If that happens, trading our first rounder next year will really look bad.

Now, looking at things from a positive viewpoint, I think we can win 7-9 games (possibly more, but unlikely with all the changes plus the schedule), but a lot has to go right for that to happen.

pretty good post, but I would disagree with the trade comment (something we will have to agree to disagree about) but the rest falls pretty close to what I believe.. t

AS I have said LOTS of change this year and all the moons,stars and planets are going to have to line up right to get much more that 5-6 games..

That said when building a team you have to lay a solid foundation and that may take a couple of years..

lets hope that we sneak up on a few teams this year and are spoilers, get a solid Draft choice next year and are on our way to the playoffs in 2010 and beyond....

Benetto
05-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Odds schmods....Everyone saw what the Falcons did last year with the addition of Michael Burner, and a solid playcaller....I bet (no pun) they had them winning 3 or so games last year...

With Moreno, our offensive line, some much needed tweeks on defense, and a new attitude/work ethic I think we go 8 or more wins...For those of you who think we are going to win 3 or 4 games, go root for Chokeland...Cause you can always expect them to only win 3 or 4.

LoyalSoldier
05-24-2009, 03:15 PM
It's not whether they've gone through a lot or not that makes a difference it's whether what they went through was good or not. After seeing the off-season moves that they've made I think we've got good reason to be optimistic.

The problem is that rarely does a team undergo massive change and come out of the gate winning.

If it was just the head coach change we could take it.
If it was just the quarterback change we could take it.
If it was just changing half the defense me might be able to take it.
So on so forth.

The massive quantity of changes alone could very well sink our season just because our players are not use to each other.

Benetto
05-24-2009, 03:20 PM
The problem is that rarely does a team undergo massive change and come out of the gate winning.

If it was just the head coach change we could take it.
If it was just the quarterback change we could take it.
If it was just changing half the defense me might be able to take it.
So on so forth.

The massive quantity of changes alone could very well sink our season just because our players are not use to each other.

I know what you mean, but you gotta have faith before even one game is played..Especially if the word LOYAL is in your user title.

Broncospsycho77
05-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Uh yeah, I'll take the under.

Easy money there, IMHO.

LoyalSoldier
05-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I know what you mean, but you gotta have faith before even one game is played..Especially if the word LOYAL is in your user title.

Loyal means that I don't abandon the team no matter what. It doesn't mean I can't be realistic about the whole situation. I have low expectations and at the same time I hope to God I am wrong about each and every one of them.

topscribe
05-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I think he will be good from the git go..

But the schedule is brutal as we speak..

Therefore we may lose alot of games.. hopefully no blowouts..

I expect Orton and Moreno both to be very good out of the chute.

I also have no problem with the defensive backfield.

The questions in my mind are, will they be able to mold a competent D-line
out of the talent they have, and will players such as Dumervil, Moss, et al.
make a successful switch to OLB, and is Ayers the impact player they say he
is?

If all those factors work out, I feel I realistically can see a 9-7, 10-6 season.
If only some of them do, then I think we are looking at somewhere from 5-11
to 7-9.

IMHO.

-----

broncofaninfla
05-24-2009, 05:08 PM
At this point I'd have to go with the under.