PDA

View Full Version : Server outage this afternoon

Tned
05-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I use a third party linux administration company to manage the server, as I don't have the time or experience to do it myself (to keep server costs down, I lease an unmanaged server).

There has been a problem with a server monitoring utility, which keeps track of the amount of ram used, server load, web hits, etc. I put in a ticket for this to be worked on.

Somehow, the tech that was working on this uinstalled or disabled the caching software that is used to speed up vBulletin. I was paged when the site went down, but neith I nor the tech initially figured out why the site was down. I finally figured out it was a problem with the caching software, and disabled it's use in vBulleting, getting the site back up, just without using the caching software.

The site was down for about an hour, and I am working with the support company to get the caching software reinstalled properly, along with a few other things that seemed to get messed up at the same time. Hopefully, there will be no more, or only very brief, outages as this is getting resolved.

If you have any questions/comments, you can post them in the Town Hall version of this thread: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39293