PDA

View Full Version : Moreno looking like the next T.D.

Lonestar
05-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Posted: 05/20/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Knowshon Moreno (File photo)It was more than 10 years ago that a former Georgia Bulldogs running back invented an iconic touchdown celebration in Denver.

Well, get ready for the next generation.

Knowshon Moreno, the Broncos' newest tailback, already has bested his fellow NFL rookies by winning a touchdown celebration contest last weekend at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

No word on if Moreno incorporated a Mile High Salute, a la Terrell Davis.

Moreno and 33 other rookies attended the photo shoot and event for Upper Deck, and each player wore his new NFL jersey.

Moreno's slick moves — which fans can watch online at upperdeck.com later this week — won him a crystal trophy and an authentic red Chicago Bulls jersey autographed by Michael Jordan.

Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12407466?source=rss

silkamilkamonico
05-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I hope so. We need a dynamo at the RB position. I would have loved the next Clinton Portis, but Terrell Davis will certainly do.

omahacolt
05-21-2009, 06:19 PM
i really liked the moreno pick. i was pissed at the time because i was holding out hope for him to somehow land in indy.

JKcatch724
05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm lookin forward to seeing the new celebration 12+ times this year :salute:

Dirk
05-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Has this video surfaced anywhere yet? I can't seem to find it.

Nomad
05-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Hopefully he lets his play on the field speak for himself and makes a name for himself though TD's footsteps would be a wise path to follow (he was the whole package).

OaklandRaider
05-22-2009, 08:53 AM
So because he danced, he is the next TD?

Um, no.

silkamilkamonico
05-22-2009, 12:35 PM
So because he danced, he is the next TD?

Um, no.

Good point. I do think it's safe to say that he's the best young RB in the division though, right ahead of Sproles and Peyton Hillis when talking about skillset and what they can offer to the NFL though, which is a good thing for Denver.

rcsodak
05-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Good point. I do think it's safe to say that he's the best young RB in the division though, right ahead of Sproles and Peyton Hillis when talking about skillset and what they can offer to the NFL though, which is a good thing for Denver.

When Sproles can handle 25-30 carries/game for an entire season, then he can be considered......until then, he's nothing more than a change of pace rb/pr/kr.

Hillis, though I like him alot, hasn't done anything, to date.

And until KM actuall steps onto the field and performs, "I do think it's safe to say that" you're putting the carriage before the horse.

Lonestar
05-22-2009, 07:59 PM
When Sproles can handle 25-30 carries/game for an entire season, then he can be considered......until then, he's nothing more than a change of pace rb/pr/kr.

Hillis, though I like him alot, hasn't done anything, to date.

And until KM actuall steps onto the field and performs, "I do think it's safe to say that" you're putting the carriage before the horse.

good post overall..

One only wonders what would have happened last year he Hillis been inserted earlier in the season.. I know he jump started the O when he was in..

Gave alot of folks hope.. But then he did not fit into mikes mold of a 6' 212 pound RB.. so the only reason he got to see teh field was injuries.. Come to find out he lead the team in rushing last year in some 3 REAL games or so..

Personally I'll take a bull like him any day over the "hope" of a "take it to the house" type flop like tater.......

silkamilkamonico
05-22-2009, 09:50 PM

He's legit. I'd take Tatum Bell stats when he was a change of pace back in a heartbeat. And there wasn't 1 RB in the NFL that averaged more than 24 carries a game, and only four RB's that averaged more than 20 carries a game.

OaklandRaider
05-23-2009, 01:06 AM

I don't know if you have heard but the Raiders have these two young backs named Darren McFadden and Michael Bush.

Both Bush and McFadden were far superior prospects to Moreno when coming out of college. Honestly, Bush and McFadden are both better than Moreno.

sneakers
05-23-2009, 01:34 AM
I don't know if you have heard but the Raiders have these two young backs named Darren McFadden and Michael Bush.

Both Bush and McFadden were far superior prospects to Moreno when coming out of college. Honestly, Bush and McFadden are both better than Moreno.

Only because Knowshon "Dan" Moreno hasn't played a down in the NFL yet.

WARHORSE
05-23-2009, 01:36 AM

I disagree. I think McFadden, though blessed with more speed, isnt a better RB prospect. Not in the sense of a pure runner.

McFadden, for all his talent, couldnt unseat Fargas. That tells you something. Give him a large hole and room enough to get behind the defense and hes gone.

As it is, McFadden is utilized less than Reggie Bush, who though also is blessed with more raw talent than Moreno, is not a pure RB.

Moreno? Pure running talent imo.

Michael Bush? Horse. Bruiser. Not gonna threaten the corner in the NFL. Not gonna shake a good tackler in the open field. One cut, downhill.

Moreno............pure runningback.

The reason Im pumpin him is because he comes into an offense that has it all pretty much.

All he has to do is learn the offense.

Lonestar
05-23-2009, 01:40 AM

raider joe is that you? :D

Foochacho
05-23-2009, 03:03 AM

McFadden's a ******* joke. Just like you.

OaklandRaider
05-23-2009, 06:28 AM
I disagree. I think McFadden, though blessed with more speed, isnt a better RB prospect. Not in the sense of a pure runner.

McFadden, for all his talent, couldnt unseat Fargas. That tells you something. Give him a large hole and room enough to get behind the defense and hes gone.

As it is, McFadden is utilized less than Reggie Bush, who though also is blessed with more raw talent than Moreno, is not a pure RB.

Moreno? Pure running talent imo.

Michael Bush? Horse. Bruiser. Not gonna threaten the corner in the NFL. Not gonna shake a good tackler in the open field. One cut, downhill.

Moreno............pure runningback.

The reason Im pumpin him is because he comes into an offense that has it all pretty much.

All he has to do is learn the offense.

McFadden couldn't unseat Fargas? Um, no, you might want to check your facts on that one. McFadden was HURT all season long and played sparingly. Had he have been healthy, he would've started and been the Raiders primary runner. He easily would'v put up 1,000 plus yards if he had stayed healthy.

You see what Turf Toe did to LT's season? Well McFadden had turf toe on both feet, and still put up a decent 785 all purpose yards with 5.5 yards per touch. Next season he will be the starter.

And I don't know where you get this notion from that McFadden is not a pure runner. He is NOTHING like Reggie Bush. The only similarities I see between the two is that they are both fast as hell, and both are great pass catchers. Other than that, two COMPLETELY different running backs. McFadden's big runs last season came from between the tackles, he never just takes it to the outside. He is tough as hell and seeks contact. He is more like Adrian peterson than Bush.

And Michael Bush won't threaten the corner? Please go watch the week 17 highlights against the Buccanners. He is not slow. He is actually a lot faster than Moreno. Micheal Bush is bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, and way more talented than Knowshon Moreno.

If Bush hadn't have gotten hurt in his senior season, he would've challenged Adrian Peterson to be be the first RB taken in 07 draft. He was a heisman favorite before he was injured.

OaklandRaider
05-23-2009, 06:31 AM
McFadden's a ******* joke. Just like you.

Don't be rude.

McFadden is a joke? I see someone is still a little sore from his Two touchdown game against you guys. :D

sneakers
05-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Don't be rude.

McFadden is a joke? I see someone is still a little sore from his Two touchdown game against you guys. :D

Excuse him, most posters on broncomania don't go out of their way to bash posters that cheer for teams other than the broncos. You are welcome here.

Northman
05-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I hope so. We need a dynamo at the RB position. I would have loved the next Clinton Portis, but Terrell Davis will certainly do.

Davis > Port$s

Bronco Bible
05-23-2009, 09:59 AM

But did they not end up in the place where careers go to die?

OaklandRaider
05-23-2009, 10:51 AM
But did they not end up in the place where careers go to die?

And Moreno went to a place where Running backs go to get injured and put on IR :D

Btw, thanks sneakers :2thumbs:

rcsodak
05-23-2009, 11:38 AM
And Michael Bush won't threaten the corner? Please go watch the week 17 highlights against the Buccanners. He is not slow. He is actually a lot faster than Moreno. Micheal Bush is bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, and way more talented than Knowshon Moreno.

If Bush hadn't have gotten hurt in his senior season, he would've challenged Adrian Peterson to be be the first RB taken in 07 draft. He was a heisman favorite before he was injured.

You were doing good until you came up with the BS about Bush being in AD's league.

And if AD hadn't been hurt, and if the voters would get over their 'anti-frosh' bias, he would have won the Heisman every year.

But thanks for playing. :elefant:

Foochacho
05-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Excuse him, most posters on broncomania don't go out of their way to bash posters that cheer for teams other than the broncos. You are welcome here.

I guess you haven't checked out the smack forum lately. If you had you wouldn't stick up for this troll. And why don't you go ahead and stay out of my business I don't need to be excused.

Simple Jaded
05-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Moreno is no Terrell Davis, but he's one hell of a lot closer than Ryan Torain will ever be.......

dogfish
05-23-2009, 02:56 PM

no one cares. . . . :coffee:

silkamilkamonico
05-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't be rude.

McFadden isn't a joke. But he sure as he!! isn't better than Peyton Hillis. Michael Bush? Please.

Davis > Port$s

Not so sure. Davis played with arguably the best QB of all time. He was also a below average RB, the following year after Elway retired, before his injury.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I could surely point out why I think Portis might just be better.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-23-2009, 05:14 PM
If Moreno stays healthy and plays in Denver for a while, he'll easily surpass Davis in every category imaginable. It actually won't be that hard. We won't see Moreno busting off for 2,000 yards -- but I don't think that 8,900 scrimmage yards is going to be hard to get by.

dogfish
05-23-2009, 05:31 PM
If Moreno stays healthy and plays in Denver for a while, he'll easily surpass Davis in every category imaginable. It actually won't be that hard. We won't see Moreno busting off for 2,000 yards -- but I don't think that 8,900 scrimmage yards is going to be hard to get by.

will he beat TD's two super bowl rings, league MVP and super bowl MVP?

Requiem / The Dagda
05-23-2009, 05:33 PM
will he beat TD's two super bowl rings, league MVP and super bowl MVP?

Doubtfully, but I wouldn't make that indictment against him as a player, just the fact that he more or less will not have the opportunity to be surrounded by multiple Hall of Famers who can attribute to such successes.

nevcraw
05-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Not so sure. Davis played with arguably the best QB of all time. He was also a below average RB, the following year after Elway retired, before his injury.

Portis never showed up in big games, was oft injured and more concerned about draft status and the coin.. he beat the lowly chiefs and people make him into a great.. TD not even close.. even if TD had a bad 4 game stretch in 1999 when the whole team sucked.. please...

bullis26
05-23-2009, 07:38 PM

TD was way better than portis is

Requiem / The Dagda
05-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Portis never showed up in big games

I can't recall if Portis played in our playoff defeat (41-10) to Indianapolis in 2003; but lets just put it this way. We had to abandon the run. Furthermore, what big games could have he played in? He was here two seasons. This is an absolutely non-sensical argument.

In two seasons, he ran for 3,099 yards and caught 678 more and had 31 total touchdowns. If you take that by 25 starts -- he averaged over 150 yards per scrimmage a game. That is unbelievable. Take it by the 29 he particpated in, that's 130 yards per scrimmage a game. Still extremely elite. To say he didn't show up is ridiculous. The guy balled hard.

was oft injured

Nope. Missed three games out of a possible 32 in two years in Denver. That doesn't constitute as oft-injured. How many games did Davis miss in his final three seasons with the Broncos again? I'll tell you -- 31.

and more concerned about draft status and the coin.

Draft status? Uh, he was a camp hold out -- so I'm not sure about this argument. About the coin? I honestly can't remember if after the season he was interested in a pay raise; but we traded him for Champ Bailey after we were blistered and embarassed by Indianapolis in the playoffs. Didn't really work out for us, did it?

he beat the lowly chiefs and people make him into a great.. TD not even close.. even if TD had a bad 4 game stretch in 1999 when the whole team sucked.. please...

No excuses for Davis, unless you're going to use his injuries. BTW; he only played in four or five games in 1999. When Portis played, be brought it. Yeah, he had a career game against the Chiefs (a fabulous game) -- and you are trying to knock him for it? Denver could have expected performances like that had Clinton not been traded to Washington.

Clinton didn't do as much as Davis did for the Broncos; that much is apparent -- but he was only here two years. My gut tells me that with a 5.5 YPC average, had Clinton continued to be a Bronco -- he would have done great things. Heck, he still has as a Redskin and by the end of this season will have over 10,000 rushing yards and 2,000 receiving. (Actually, well over that.)

In 100 career games, Portis has over 11,000 yards from scrimmage. That's excellent, regardless of how you want to slice it. By the time he hangs up the cleats, Portis will reach heights few have. He will likely near 20,000 yards from scrimmage and be one of the NFL's all-time leading rushers. He doesn't have far to go -- and he's only 27. The shelf-life of running backs isn't high -- but he has three quality seasons left in him. Easily.

broncohead
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Portis hasn't reached the 2,000 yard mark like TD which is a feat only a few have accomplished. That says it all

Requiem / The Dagda
05-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Portis hasn't reached the 2,000 yard mark like TD which is a feat only a few have accomplished. That says it all

Had a damn good shot in his second year with the Broncos, but he didn't play three games. Won't use the injury excuse -- but he had the shot. At any case, Portis is he stays healthy is very likely to eclipse 20,000 yards from scrimmage -- putting him in elite territory. Something that Terrell Davis never came close to accomplishing.

broncohead
05-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Had a damn good shot in his second year with the Broncos, but he didn't play three games. Won't use the injury excuse -- but he had the shot. At any case, Portis is he stays healthy is very likely to eclipse 20,000 yards from scrimmage -- putting him in elite territory. Something that Terrell Davis never came close to accomplishing.

Well blowing out your knee will do that to you. Also TD had a lot more rushes during the 4 years he wasn't injured then Portis' first 4. You knew he was getting the ball and he still turned out the yards.

Slick
05-23-2009, 09:08 PM
If he's even as close to as good as either one of those studs, I'm happy.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Well blowing out your knee will do that to you. Also TD had a lot more rushes during the 4 years he wasn't injured then Portis' first 4. You knew he was getting the ball and he still turned out the yards.

Keep Portis in Denver and give him the rock like he was and he'd of kept producing. Mute point.

Lonestar
05-23-2009, 10:31 PM
I can't recall if Portis played in our playoff defeat (41-10) to Indianapolis in 2003; but lets just put it this way. We had to abandon the run. Furthermore, what big games could have he played in? He was here two seasons. This is an absolutely non-sensical argument.

The game before Q started and gained 150 or so on them had them running in circles.. so mike decided that [poorti$$$$$ would be that much better..

In two seasons, he ran for 3,099 yards and caught 678 more and had 31 total touchdowns. If you take that by 25 starts -- he averaged over 150 yards per scrimmage a game. That is unbelievable. Take it by the 29 he particpated in, that's 130 yards per scrimmage a game. Still extremely elite. To say he didn't show up is ridiculous. The guy balled hard.

Nope. Missed three games out of a possible 32 in two years in Denver. That doesn't constitute as oft-injured. How many games did Davis miss in his final three seasons with the Broncos again? I'll tell you -- 31.

Draft status? Uh, he was a camp hold out -- so I'm not sure about this argument. About the coin? I honestly can't remember if after the season he was interested in a pay raise; but we traded him for Champ Bailey after we were blistered and embarassed by Indianapolis in the playoffs. Didn't really work out for us, did it?

After he went to the pro bowl he got a really BIG head and wanted to be paid like the top RB he thought he was. made some stupid comment in the paper during interviews and had to retract them after mike heard them.. that was the beginning of the end.

No excuses for Davis, unless you're going to use his injuries. BTW; he only played in four or five games in 1999. When Portis played, be brought it. Yeah, he had a career game against the Chiefs (a fabulous game) -- and you are trying to knock him for it? Denver could have expected performances like that had Clinton not been traded to Washington.

Clinton didn't do as much as Davis did for the Broncos; that much is apparent -- but he was only here two years. My gut tells me that with a 5.5 YPC average, had Clinton continued to be a Bronco -- he would have done great things. Heck, he still has as a Redskin and by the end of this season will have over 10,000 rushing yards and 2,000 receiving. (Actually, well over that.)

In 100 career games, Portis has over 11,000 yards from scrimmage. That's excellent, regardless of how you want to slice it. By the time he hangs up the cleats, Portis will reach heights few have. He will likely near 20,000 yards from scrimmage and be one of the NFL's all-time leading rushers. He doesn't have far to go -- and he's only 27. The shelf-life of running backs isn't high -- but he has three quality seasons left in him. Easily.

poorti$$$$$ was always about money and flash.. He talked several time when in WAS about den being a cow town and had not class.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
*shrug* Another one of Mikey's blunders in my opinion. We won't pay Clinton Portis top dollar, but shelled it out for Champ. Little did the man realize that you need a pass rush in order for cornerbacks to do their jobs. Dumb decision. At least we got Moreno now.

Lonestar
05-23-2009, 10:42 PM
*shrug* Another one of Mikey's blunders in my opinion. We won't pay Clinton Portis top dollar, but shelled it out for Champ. Little did the man realize that you need a pass rush in order for cornerbacks to do their jobs. Dumb decision. At least we got Moreno now.

I would rather invest it in a HOF CB than a RB that as a general rule has a 4 year lifetime in the NFL..

Yes he was beyond dumb for not drafting/trading/bring in a FA to solidify the DL..

But I've been saying that for almost a decade now..

Northman
05-24-2009, 11:43 AM
but I could surely point out why I think Portis might just be better.

By all means go ahead.

Northman
05-24-2009, 11:55 AM
He was here two seasons.

Davis was here what? 6 at the most? And before his knee injury it was maybe 3 seasons in which he gained 2,000 yds in one of them along with 2 SB trophies. Yes, his surrounding cast was much better but dont try and say just because Portis was only here for 2 that its not a good arguement.

Portis never substained a career ending injury either. Portis does get hurt a lot even now with Washington but none are of which are career threatening.

Didnt work out for either team. And it surely didnt help us before or after Portis was traded. And yes, he wanted his payday which is part of the reason why he was traded.

No doubt he played hard when on the field. I personally dont knock him for that but he doesnt have near the great character that TD had. Furthermore, although TD didnt have his speed he was a much better runner between the tackles than Portis ever was.

Maybe, maybe not. As the Oline started to regress so did our running game. But then again Portis wasnt the bottom of the barrell like the backs that we have now aside from Moreno. But, we still would of had problems stopping opposing teams because our defense was nowhere where it needed to be.

Probably, but then again because of the type of injury that TD suffered i would guarantee had he stayed healthy he would of crushed what Portis is doing now. Before the injury TD was crushing the league and could not be stopped at all.

Fan in Exile
05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I would rather invest it in a HOF CB than a RB that as a general rule has a 4 year lifetime in the NFL..

Yes he was beyond dumb for not drafting/trading/bring in a FA to solidify the DL..

But I've been saying that for almost a decade now..

Throwing this type of an average around is misleading. The average is skewed by all the people who had careers that last 0 years. The RB position is skewed because teams tend not to carry as many as other positions so it has fewer on the high end to help balance out the numbers.

Now the numbers for a RB do tend to drop off earlier than for other positions. Football outsiders did a great study on this in one of their early books. RB production starts to drop off at about age 28 whereas most other positions tend to make it to at least age 30.

He was born 21 years 10 months 8 days ago so assuming his production drops off at about the same rate as that of other RBs we can expect him to produce at a pretty high level for another 7 years, and serve in a rotation after that for a couple of years or so.

Tned
05-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Can't really say that until he first wins the starting job and then produces on the field.

Also, don't forget McFadden. He was injuried much of last year and on a horrible team, but is a heck of a RB.

Lonestar
05-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Throwing this type of an average around is misleading. The average is skewed by all the people who had careers that last 0 years. The RB position is skewed because teams tend not to carry as many as other positions so it has fewer on the high end to help balance out the numbers.

Now the numbers for a RB do tend to drop off earlier than for other positions. Football outsiders did a great study on this in one of their early books. RB production starts to drop off at about age 28 whereas most other positions tend to make it to at least age 30.

He was born 21 years 10 months 8 days ago so assuming his production drops off at about the same rate as that of other RBs we can expect him to produce at a pretty high level for another 7 years, and serve in a rotation after that for a couple of years or so.

The numbers I saw were the RB average overall that played were 4.5 years.. for what ever reason then you also have the Emit smiths that played forever but I guess that had to do with the mammoth OLINE they had for years cutting down the odds of being tackled by a 300 LB DL vs a 180-200 pound DB.. thus extending his playing cycle..

Most RBs are done physically by 32 and the speed is gone by then..

Again I'd always take a HOF CB that can played well into their 30's over a RB any day of the week.. His teammate in WAS Green played till he was 42..

Not many 32 year old RB's out there.. lots of 32 DB's though..

Fan in Exile
05-25-2009, 06:49 PM
The numbers I saw were the RB average overall that played were 4.5 years.. for what ever reason then you also have the Emit smiths that played forever but I guess that had to do with the mammoth OLINE they had for years cutting down the odds of being tackled by a 300 LB DL vs a 180-200 pound DB.. thus extending his playing cycle..

Most RBs are done physically by 32 and the speed is gone by then..

Again I'd always take a HOF CB that can played well into their 30's over a RB any day of the week.. His teammate in WAS Green played till he was 42..

Not many 32 year old RB's out there.. lots of 32 DB's though..

Just out of curiosity where are you getting these numbers because there's no way that most RBs last till 32. 4.5 years is the number when you don't exclude people who had 0 years. So this post looks completely made up to me.

sneakers
10-10-2011, 03:36 AM
Bumping old threads rocks!

sneakers
10-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Especially when all the mods are asleep :laugh:

Tned
10-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Especially when all the mods are asleep :laugh:

Bumping old threads rocks!

You bored again, Sneaks?

Juriga72
10-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Where's the one Top told us all about where "All Kyle Orton will do is win games for us"?

Northman
10-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Why am i not shocked this was started by JR? lol