PDA

View Full Version : Watch and Learn

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 11:33 PM
By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Playing football in the ACC, Alphonso Smith had to line up against first-round picks like Hakeem Nicks and Darrius Heyward-Bey from week to week.

Well, now he'll have to face both of those players along with Randy Moss, Santana Moss, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne and a host of other Pro Bowl-caliber receivers in just his first year in the NFL.

The jump from college football to the pros is quite a leap, so it helps to have veterans around to help with the transition.

Luckily for Smith and the rest of the team's young defensive backs, including fellow draftees Darcel McBath and David Bruton, the Broncos secondary has plenty of veteran leadership.

Between Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, Andre' Goodman and Renaldo Hill, the secondary has players that have been to a Super Bowl, an NFC Championship game, an AFC Championship game, plenty of playoff games and even on the other end of the spectrum survived a 1-15 season and brought the team to the playoffs the next year. They know how to win, and that's exactly what the Broncos intend to do this season.

"Those guys have been here a while, they've seen the ins and outs, they've seen the worst, they've seen the best," Smith said. "So I just want to pick their brain and try to learn from them. They're the ones who have been where I'm trying to get to."

The rookie cornerback said much of the reason he was so excited to be joining the Broncos is the veteran presence in the secondary. The first-year players can learn aspects of the game on and off the field simply by watching how the older players carry themselves.

Dawkins said he believes rookies should never hesitate to ask questions about anything on their minds, no matter what it's about. In fact, most veterans respect when a young player comes in with a willingness to learn.

"If the opportunities present themselves, and those guys are open to it, I'm very open to share whatever wisdom I can share with them," he said. "Sometimes it's not even stuff on the field. Sometimes they ask questions about what I see, what I'm thinking about before a snap, how I've handled my financial situations, stuff like that. Different conversations come up at different times."

But one part of stepping onto the field with established stars is the anxiety that goes along with it. McBath said he's extremely excited to learn from Dawkins. But he said at times he has to remind himself that he's now teammates with someone he has looked up to for much of his football career.

"I have to get the jitters out and try to learn something," McBath said, cracking a smile. "Don't be too much in awe or I won't learn anything. He's a heck of a player, a Hall of Famer. If I can pick up one thing from him, I'll be a better player."

And that's the idea behind the veteran-rookie relationship. Rookies pay their dues, carry shoulder pads and helmets, pick up food and take any advice veterans toss their way. In return, they're better players for it.

Rookies in the Broncos secondary have the advantage of having two future Hall-of-Famers to turn to, as well. Smith said there's no one better to learn the cornerback position from than Bailey.

"I'm a guy who understands the game and tries to play it mentally," he said. "I'm definitely going to try to get in his back pocket and be like, 'Alright Champ, when this happens, what do I do?' Coming under a guy like a Champ Bailey couldn't be a better situation for any DB."

The young players for the Broncos are also lucky because the veterans are so willing to teach them. Hill said he still remembers his days as a rookie for the Arizona Cardinals.

There he had veterans in the secondary to help him out in Corey Chavous and Kwamie Lassiter.

"They had long, extended careers, Pro Bowl-type careers, so I tried to take in and learn as much as I could from them," he recalled. "I'm just going to try to extend that same hand to the young guys that are here."

Goodman agreed.

"At the end of the day that's really what it's about," he said. "You always think back to when you were in that position and how much help you were fiending for at the time, wanting to know, wanting to learn, and these guys are the same way. Very anxious to learn."

With the rookies heading toward their second round of practices as the team has what amounts to close to three weeks of camps starting after Memorial Day, the young players will try to soak in even more.

And McBath said they're ready to go.

"My eyes are going to be wide open."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9068

Dirk
05-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Nice article!

And that's the idea behind the veteran-rookie relationship. Rookies pay their dues, carry shoulder pads and helmets, pick up food and take any advice veterans toss their way. In return, they're better players for it.

This part of the article made me LOL. I remember the days when I was a rookie from time to time. I hated it! :laugh:

But again, nice article and hopefully the rooks will become much better with the leadership around them.

LRtagger
05-20-2009, 08:53 AM
If anyone was wondering why we drafted secondary this year after we signed those pro-bowl vets, this article should answer your questions.

These rookies should know the ins and outs of the NFL in 2-3 years after playing beside guys like Dawkins and Champ. You can't ask for anymore than that when developing young talent.

I have no question this was Coach's plan all along for those guys.

anton...
05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
this time of year is sooooo boring...

they ran out of new sound bites 3 days after the draft...