PDA

View Full Version : **EDIT** Broncos sign Florence

Denver Native (Carol)
05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
There is an AFC West battle for Drayton Florence.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reporting the popular recently released cornerback will visit the Broncos this week. San Diego is also highly interested in Florence. He spent his first five NFL season in San Diego.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/43854/broncos-join-chargers-in-florence-race

Ziggy
05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
He brings a veteran presence and speed to the position. He should compete for a spot as the #2 or 3 corner if we can sign him.

Jsteve01
05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
and his about Champ's size. I'd like it

SoCalImport
05-08-2012, 05:48 PM
He'd be great depth and an insurance policy in the DBF. An improvement on the current situation for sure.

NightTerror218
05-08-2012, 06:01 PM
I dont think he will come. I think he will go to chargers where he can start. Even if he would get a good portion of playing time.

Jsteve01
05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I dont think he will come. I think he will go to chargers where he can start. Even if he would get a good portion of playing time.

Why can't he start? I see him as a more rounded option than Porter and it allows you to let Harris and Porter battle it out for the nickle.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-08-2012, 07:06 PM

I don't think he has much chance to start in SD, either. He's behind Jammer and Cason there. Remember, he was a Charger before and they allowed him to walk in FA (he was drafted by them in the 2nd round in 2003). He may want to return "home" to SD but other than that, I don't think their situation is any better than ours when it comes to playing time or championship aspirations. Right now we have Champ, Porter, and Harris as proven commodities with Vaughn, Squid, and Bolden (who we just drafted) all coming off of season-ending injuries and Porter has been nicked before, also.

He'd probably be a good guy to bring in to cover TEs. He's reasonably fast (fast enough to cover TEs) and is a veteran who knows what to do on the field. No he's not, nor has he ever been, a Champ Bailey, but he's solid enough.

Honestly though, he'll probably just go to whomever offers him the most money...

TXBRONC
05-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Why can't he start? I see him as a more rounded option than Porter and it allows you to let Harris and Porter battle it out for the nickle.

Being a nickle back is essentially the same thing as being a starter.

dunk7
05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Looks like we've won the sweepstakes per Jay Glazer on Twitter

NightTerror218
05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19009884

Assuming perennial Pro Bowler Champ Bailey stays healthy, free-agent pickups Tracy Porter and Drayton Florence will be competing for one cornerback slot. Another position on the depth chart figures to go to fourth-round pick Omar Bolden, who can also return kickoffs. That could leave second-year CB Chris Harris and third-year CBs Syd'Quan Thompson and Cassius Vaughn competing for one slot; of the three, Harris appears to have the edge because he played nickelback last year and is the only one of the Broncos' younger CBs not coming off an injury.

NightTerror218
05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Ex-Bills CB Drayton Florence and the Broncos agreed to terms on a two-year contract on Thursday. Florence had visited with the Titans earlier this week, but opted to join Denver, where he and former Saints CB Tracy Porter will compete for playing time at RCB and the nickelback slots. Florence's arrival likely moves 2011 nickelback Chris Harris down to the dime back role.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19009870

Ravage!!!
05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I think Sy'quan has a good chance, as well as being a contender for returning kicks.

NightTerror218
05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I think Bailey/Porter will start and Florence will be nickle. I think harris will be first back up and Squid is going to be returner and the rest will be gone except our new rookie.Keep 5 out of 8.

NorCalBronco7
05-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Very nice.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
The Broncos have added another veteran cornerback.

The team on Thursday agreed to signed Drayton Florence, a 10th-year player who spent the past three seasons with the Buffalo Bills. Florence, 31, was released by the Bills last week, nine months after signing a 3-year, $15-million contract with the team.

Florence, who visited the Broncos last week, becomes the 10th cornerback on the Broncos' roster as the team prepares for its first minicamp later this month. He is the second veteran free-agent corner signed this year, joining Tracy Porter.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20594949/broncos-add-former-buffalo-bills-cornerback-drayton-florence

dogfish
05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I think Sy'quan has a good chance, as well as being a contender for returning kicks.

i like the kid a ton when he's fully healthy. . . but if he doesn't have 100% of his short area burst back after the achilles, he could get lost in the shuffle this year. . . i'd say chris harris has a roster spot locked down at the very least, given that he's healthy and coming off a strong stretch of play. . .

that leaves bolden, squid, vaugh and coryell judie likely battling for the fifth CB/RS spot. . . i suppose we might keep six, particularly if one of them can play some safety as well-- bolden and judie have the size to play FS in a pinch. . . they also both have some potential as returners, which is why i see one of them probably getting the fifth spot. . . i wonder if squid has outplayed his PS eligibility?

drewloc
05-10-2012, 06:06 PM
i like the kid a ton when he's fully healthy. . . but if he doesn't have 100% of his short area burst back after the achilles, he could get lost in the shuffle this year. . . i'd say chris harris has a roster spot locked down at the very least, given that he's healthy and coming off a strong stretch of play. . .

that leaves bolden, squid, vaugh and coryell judie likely battling for the fifth CB/RS spot. . . i suppose we might keep six, particularly if one of them can play some safety as well-- bolden and judie have the size to play FS in a pinch. . . they also both have some potential as returners, which is why i see one of them probably getting the fifth spot. . . i wonder if squid has outplayed his PS eligibility?

I think that you have it right with Harris. He had a good set of games for us last year where he was solid. I think the rookie will have one, and expect that Syd and Vaughn will be on the outside looking in. Unless your safety scenario plays out of course.

NorCalBronco7
05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
The way I see it Champ/Porter will play outside and Florence takes over Harris at nickle. Harris is a solid player, but hes still young and inexperienced.

NightTerror218
05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
I think that you have it right with Harris. He had a good set of games for us last year where he was solid. I think the rookie will have one, and expect that Syd and Vaughn will be on the outside looking in. Unless your safety scenario plays out of course.

I think Squid will be kept for returning and Vaughn will be gone. I think Judie will be on practice squad.

Bronco Backer
05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Add Content

topscribe
05-10-2012, 06:23 PM

If Bolden is a late first, early second round talent, as they have been saying,
that makes me think he may have a spot tied down, based on his potential. I
know "potential" simply means "haven't done it yet" (as John Gruden put it),
but I don't see many first-rounders among the DBs, outside of Champ. Do you?

NightTerror218
05-10-2012, 06:25 PM

I think he has a shoe is with Harris. Any other decent talent will go practice squad.

chazoe60
05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Anyone think there's any chance Harris moves to Safety? The thing I was most impressed with from him last season was his tackling and his physicality. Just a thought.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Harris could also be considered for the Safety rotation. He actually played Safety in college and, for being a little dude, is a tackling machine. I could see him giving Moore a run for his money at backup FS to Mike Adams or SS to Quinton Carter.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Anyone think there's any chance Harris moves to Safety? The thing I was most impressed with from him last season was his tackling and his physicality. Just a thought.

Got it in right before I did...:salute:

BORDERLINE
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
well i don't know how this will turn out but it's definitely better than what we have had the last 5 years,

pipes
05-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I think move allows Bailey to move inside on passing situations.
They tried it last year but kept getting torched on the outside so they left Champ there.

CoachChaz
05-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I think Harris, Bolden and even Judie have the potential to stick. All of them are versatile enough

bcbronc
05-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bolden comes down with a mystery injury late in camp and goes to IR for the season. He is coming off a torn ACL, correct? This would give him another year to get back to full speed while still learning the system etc. This option depends on Vaughn/Harris/Squid making it hard for any of them to be cut.

However it works out, I feel a lot better about our defensive secondary than I did a month or so ago.

Dapper Dan
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I like how our CB group is becoming solid. We have more than adequate starters with very good depth. With injuries and substitutions this is very important. It doesn't give the offense time to take advantage of a guy being out. This should really help our pass defense.

weazel
05-10-2012, 10:05 PM
nothing wrong with that signing... depth, depth, depth
now I hope we get some depth depth depth at DT

Simple Jaded
05-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I think Harris, Bolden and even Judie have the potential to stick. All of them are versatile enough

I hope all three stick and they keep 10 DB's, 6 CB's and 4 S's.

Bailey, Porter, Florence, Harris, Bolden and Judie at CB and Adams, Carter, Moore and Bruton at S. Harris has played S and I think Judie might have that club in his bag too. Bolden and Judie were up there in NFL Draft Scout's ranking before spring ball last year, Denver could really use that kind of luck.......

Simple Jaded
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
nothing wrong with that signing... depth, depth, depth
now I hope we get some depth depth depth at DT
Exactly. Competing with all the weapons NE has is gonna be paramount.......

dogfish
05-11-2012, 03:53 AM

i believe porter and florence were both either firsts or seconds, without looking it up. . . i would certainly expect at least one of bolden and judie to make the team, possibly even both. . . although i think bc's "mystery injury to IR" scenario is pretty likely for one of them-- or maybe one of them is still dinged enough (wink wink) to go on the PUP list as insurance. . . porter is on a one year deal and florence is an older guy on a two year deal-- we obviously need to keep some developmental talent around, one way or another. . .

Mannway187
05-11-2012, 04:53 AM
This move will keep our defense from getting schooled every day in practice. Now we have enough fresh bodies to give the offense more of a challenge. Next year can't come soon enough.

Tned
05-11-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm not familiar with Florence. Some are talking about him competing with Porter for the starting job. Is he that good? If so, anyone know why the Bills released him?

Ziggy
05-11-2012, 06:21 AM
I'm not familiar with Florence. Some are talking about him competing with Porter for the starting job. Is he that good? If so, anyone know why the Bills released him?

He used to be a solid corner with good size and speed T. I'm not sure how much he has left. He was a much better corner than Porter when he was in his prime. Even now, he should challenge him for the 2 spot. He had a rough season last year for the Bills and had a 5 mill/year contract for this season. They got a stud corner in the draft and decided to turn the keys over to the younguns.

BigDaddyBronco
05-11-2012, 06:23 AM

Buffalo drafted Stephon Gilmore in the 1st and have a couple other good young corners in Aaron Williams and Leodis McKelvin. That and money I'm sure.

TXBRONC
05-11-2012, 07:05 AM

It wouldn't be surprising.

Jsteve01
05-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm still not writing off Vaughn and Thompson. I know people love to roast Vaughn but got thrust into the starting rotation last year out of necessity. He has excellent physical attributes but is two years removed from being an UDFA. He can provide depth and having good vets around him to push him will only help his development.

broncofaninfla
05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Looks like Florence has been declining as he gets older. Check out this stat from Peter King:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/05/06/mmqb/3.html

Dapper Dan
05-11-2012, 10:22 AM
This move will keep our defense from getting schooled every day in practice. Now we have enough fresh bodies to give the offense more of a challenge. Next year can't come soon enough.

That's an interesting point. I hadn't thought about practice. Because on the other side, Peyton and the many receivers will challenge our defense. They will hopefully be better prepared the next time we play New England.

underrated29
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
If its 5:
champ
porter
florence
harris
bolden

if its 6:
champ
porter
florence
harris
syd
bolden

Judie is PS material all the way. Vaugh is definitely on the outs. Plus, I like Syds abilities much better than I do judies and Vaughns. And syd can do returns as well.

Jsteve01
05-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Underrated I know people aren't big fans of Vaughn around here but again. he was starting last year and pushed past Squid in TC. He has ability to write him off as depth just because he didn't shine while playing opposite Champ seems a little premature.

Chef Zambini
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
once again our broncos win in a free agency battle.
ELWAY signs manning and mannings presence influences other signings.
Our bornocos are CONTENDERS for talent, and that talent will help to make us CONTENDERS on the field!
anyone think FLORENCE signs with the broncos if TEBOW is still our guy?
please !

CoachChaz
05-11-2012, 12:23 PM
If its 5:
champ
porter
florence
harris
bolden

if its 6:
champ
porter
florence
harris
syd
bolden

Judie is PS material all the way. Vaugh is definitely on the outs. Plus, I like Syds abilities much better than I do judies and Vaughns. And syd can do returns as well.

I know I have a slight advantage in having seen every game Judie has played in, but dont count the kid out. Had he not dealt with the hamstring injury this season, He would have likely been at least a 3rd round pick.

slim
05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I think it's pretty clear what the FO thinks about Vaughn and Syd. Neither one of them will make the team.

Dapper Dan
05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I think it's pretty clear what the FO thinks about Vaughn and Syd. Neither one of them will make the team.

When Syd got hurt he was playing in a game 4 preseason game. I agree with you.

Chef Zambini
05-11-2012, 01:19 PM
so we got florence.
what about griffith
and joyner.
that would be a gold medal line-up !

underrated29
05-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Underrated I know people aren't big fans of Vaughn around here but again. he was starting last year and pushed past Squid in TC. He has ability to write him off as depth just because he didn't shine while playing opposite Champ seems a little premature.

Ca$$ius played lights out in pre season man. I couldnt believe it. But then once reg season hit he was getting burnt left and right and over and over and over again. I like him. But he has not taken those extra steps to become a starter or to get a spot over Syd imo....

Jsteve01
05-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Ca$$ius played lights out in pre season man. I couldnt believe it. But then once reg season hit he was getting burnt left and right and over and over and over again. I like him. But he has not taken those extra steps to become a starter or to get a spot over Syd imo....

he jumped ahead of Syd in preseason. I'm not saying he does or doesn't make it but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bolden stashed on the IR or PUP and Vaughn given another year. Let's not forget he was raw when we got him as a street free agent and there is still value there for depth with his vast physical ability.

Jsteve01
05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
The other thing is that according to PFF Florence got torched last year. He may not be what we are all hoping for.

NorCalBronco7
05-11-2012, 02:27 PM
The other thing is that according to PFF Florence got torched last year. He may not be what we are all hoping for.

The Bills had one of the worst, if not the worst pass rush in the league last year. I dont know much about the guy, but that has to be a major reason.

NightTerror218
05-11-2012, 06:44 PM

So did bailey 2 years ago when QBs were given 2 hours to make a pass.

TXBRONC
05-11-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm still not writing off Vaughn and Thompson. I know people love to roast Vaughn but got thrust into the starting rotation last year out of necessity. He has excellent physical attributes but is two years removed from being an UDFA. He can provide depth and having good vets around him to push him will only help his development.

I have nothing against Thompson or Vaughn but I think they will have an uphill up battle to make the team. Thompson blew out his knee and Vaughn broke is leg. Each man's injury occured well into the season so neither will be a year removed from their respective injury once camp starts.

Dapper Dan
05-11-2012, 07:56 PM
So did bailey 2 years ago when QBs were given 2 hours to make a pass.

That's not exactly fair to compare him against Bailey, who's arguably one of the best ever.

Simple Jaded
05-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm still trying to remember what Thompson did to even get his name in this discussion.......

CoachChaz
05-11-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm still trying to remember what Thompson did to even get his in this discussion.......

Amen. Add Vaughn to that as well. People have become so accustomed to mediocrity that it is now the norm

Dapper Dan
05-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Amen. Add Vaughn to that as well. People have become so accustomed to mediocrity that it is now the norm

I really think its probably because in one of his last few games he came up with a huge Int to beat Houston. Whether or not he played well as a whole, it sticks in guys memory when a player makes a big play like that.

broncofaninfla
05-12-2012, 06:24 AM
QB's had a 103 passer rating throwing against Florence last season. Granted they didn't pressure the qb much last season but that's still an alarming stat.

TXBRONC
05-12-2012, 06:29 AM

I think the thing that really puts them behind the eight ball is that they're both coming off of leg injuries.

Chef Zambini
05-12-2012, 10:12 AM
what was the passer rating against goodman, 150?

CoachChaz
05-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I dont think its a bad signing. But why do this and not Samuel? With that in mind, this can only be seen as a bargain deal and realistically, we shouldnt expect more than that

Mannway187
05-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I dont think its a bad signing. But why do this and not Samuel? With that in mind, this can only be seen as a bargain deal and realistically, we shouldnt expect more than that

Samuel wouldn't agree to a contract that fit under the salary cap. He'd be a Bronco if he would have restructured. Elway did say "you can't ever have enough cornerbacks". Do we have enough now, John?

Chef Zambini
05-13-2012, 09:23 AM
samuals wanted a dollar.
florence accepted 75 cents.
this way elway got the quarter back that he really wanted.
same M.O. as the draft.

underrated29
05-13-2012, 10:16 AM
samuals wanted a dollar.
florence accepted 75 cents.
this way elway got the quarter back that he really wanted.
same M.O. as the draft.

I see what you did there.

Joel
05-13-2012, 03:18 PM
This makes me feel better about our secondary than I have since before D-Will was murdered. Have we actually locked up Harris for another year, or do people just expect it? I still see him as our future at CB, though Florence, Porter and a draft pick may destine him for Domonique Foxworths fate: Stuck at nickel indefinitely until he finds another team willing to start him.

Florence and Porter dramatically improve our secondary, though I still consider our safeties bad enough quality play from Adams AND the emergence of one of last years draft picks would only make them adequate (maybe.) On the other hand, in a couple years Champ will be playing FS or not at all; if we intend the former, all the additions at corner make a lot of sense.

In the interim, our current crop of CBs plus DJ/Woodyard at Will mean we CAN (not necessarily should) man cover every starting receiver on most teams unless they all go deep (and reliably cover all but one even then,) making our dearth of safeties less problematic. If all our starting safeties need do is play robber, plus help out with blitzes and run stopping, Carter is sufficient; he just isn't a legit centerfielder. If the heart of our D weren't wide open in the form of our anemic DTs, Mike and FS, I would feel VERY good about it after this off season.

Simple Jaded
05-13-2012, 04:38 PM
If Harris' contract is anything like other rookies contracts then he's got a minimum of 2 years left on his deal, probably 3. Chances are he's got three years remaining but if not he'll be a restricted FA in 2. Way, way too early to start worrying about extending Harris.......

Joel
05-13-2012, 10:57 PM
If Harris' contract is anything like other rookies contracts then he's got a minimum of 2 years left on his deal, probably 3. Chances are he's got three years remaining but if not he'll be a restricted FA in 2. Way, way too early to start worrying about extending Harris.......
Didn't realize last year was his rookie season, but that's somewhat reassuring. It wouldn't exactly break my heart if we wound up with a CB rotation so good Harris couldn't even earn the dime spot (though given how bare we are at safety I'd definitely consider moving Champ over next year and bumping Harris along with everyone else.)

Simple Jaded
05-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Didn't realize last year was his rookie season, but that's somewhat reassuring. It wouldn't exactly break my heart if we wound up with a CB rotation so good Harris couldn't even earn the dime spot (though given how bare we are at safety I'd definitely consider moving Champ over next year and bumping Harris along with everyone else.)
I checked, according to Rotoworld he signed a 3 year contract as a rookie FA, so he'll be a restricted FA in '14. Take it fwiw, though, Rotoworld isn't worth much lately.......

Dzone
05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Must be part Del Rio. Seems like players really love that guy. Wonder how much that played into him signing with D.

Cugel
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/19009884

Assuming perennial Pro Bowler Champ Bailey stays healthy, free-agent pickups Tracy Porter and Drayton Florence will be competing for one cornerback slot. Another position on the depth chart figures to go to fourth-round pick Omar Bolden, who can also return kickoffs. That could leave second-year CB Chris Harris and third-year CBs Syd'Quan Thompson and Cassius Vaughn competing for one slot; of the three, Harris appears to have the edge because he played nickelback last year and is the only one of the Broncos' younger CBs not coming off an injury.

That assumes that the Broncos go with 5 CBs like last year, but last year they had an extra WR because Eddie Royal was their starting KR.

There's no reason to think they will keep an extra WR on the roster this year, if Bolden is their starting KR. Rather they would keep 6 CBs of whom 2 (Champ and Porter were the starters) with Florence the nickel back and two more as reserves.

Bolden would be on the roster as a CB but would see little action on defense his rookie year. Mostly he would be a special teams player and return man.

Then if he does well on special teams his rookie year he has a chance to move up the depth chart in his second year.

I think the Broncos go with 6 CBs if Bolden is one of them.

Cugel
05-14-2012, 12:40 PM
what was the passer rating against goodman, 150?

That's kinda, sorta why he isn't back this year, no? :laugh:

Cugel
05-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Translation: He played against WR/ future dry-wall installers in the pre-season. Then when the regular season started and he played against NFL caliber WRs and got "burnt [sic] left and right."

I wouldn't count him out at this point though. We'll know a lot more after training camp and more yet in the pre-season when we see how the depth chart stacks up.

NightTerror218
05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
That's not exactly fair to compare him against Bailey, who's arguably one of the best ever.

I am comparing one of the best being burned when front 7 did squat. Florence go burned for same reason. I am just saying dont knock him before you see him play.