PDA

View Full Version : Defenseless teams seek offseason upgrades

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Posted: May 19, 2009
Bad defense is difficult to overcome.

The Lions discovered that last season. Not only were they winless, but in many games they looked defenseless. Detroit had the NFL's worst defense, allowing 404.4 yards per game, followed by the Chiefs (393.2), Seahawks (378), Broncos (374.6) and Rams (371.9).

Not surprisingly, none of those teams made the playoffs. Not surprisingly, all five have new head coaches, new defensive coordinators and plenty of new personnel.

Here's a closer look at what the feeble five have done in the offseason:

Detroit Lions

What's different: New coach Jim Schwartz does not want to hear about last season. Linebacker Larry Foote, who left the Steelers to sign as a free agent, has the kind of attitude Schwartz seeks. "I think the first thing he brings is a couple Super Bowl rings and success in the league," Schwartz said of Foote. "That's street cred, instant credibility, whatever you want to say."

The Lions have revamped the linebacker corps, signing Foote and Cody Spencer and trading for Julian Peterson. Two more veterans, defensive tackle Grady Jackson and cornerback Phillip Buchanon also have been added, and the coaches have high hopes for rookie safety Louis Delmas.

Why they should worry: When you finish 0-16, you are a long way from being good. The Lions spent their two first-round picks on offense -- QB Matthew Stafford and tight end Brandon Pettigrew. Why not help the offense? Fixing the defense is a long-term project.

"Quite honestly, we needed to improve special teams and offense also," Schwartz said. "It wasn't like we were in a situation maybe like Denver. I think they were second in the league on offense and down toward the bottom in defense. We weren't real high on offense, either. So there were a lot of things to address."

Kansas City Chiefs

What's different: New G.M. Scott Pioli has a strong draft record, and he liked defensive end Tyson Jackson enough to make him the No. 3-overall pick. Jackson, who got his first taste of the NFL at a recent minicamp, sounds realistic about the work he must do to become an impact rookie.

"Everything's much faster, guys are bigger, stronger," Jackson said. "You're a professional now. You got to get adjusted quick. I have to step up my game a lot more. I can't continue playing the college game and bring it to the NFL."

Pioli also added three veteran linebackers -- Mike Vrabel, Zach Thomas and Monty Beisel -- to accelerate the switch to a 3-4 scheme. Defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast gets another chance after being fired by the Cardinals despite their Super Bowl run.

Why they should worry: After a disappointing rookie year, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey might not be a good fit at nose tackle or end in a 3-4 defense. The Chiefs had the worst pass rush in the league with just 10 sacks, and on paper they have not improved.

Seattle Seahawks

What's different: The coaches expect linebacker Aaron Curry, the No. 4-overall pick, to start immediately. Cornerback Ken Lucas was signed as a free agent, and they traded for defensive tackle Cory Redding. New defensive coordinator Casey Bradley will bring some of the cover-2 principles he learned under former Buccaneers' coordinator Monte Kiffin.

Why they should worry: The Seahawks allowed more passing yards than any team, despite having a decent pass rush. They still have question marks in the secondary. If defensive end Patrick Kearney does not fully recover from shoulder and elbow surgeries, the pass rush too could suffer.

Denver Broncos

What's different: Veterans like safety Brian Dawkins and linebacker Andra Davis should add swagger. Rookie Robert Ayers expects to see time at outside linebacker and defensive end. With 22 years of NFL coaching experience, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will be leaned on heavily by new coach Josh McDaniels.

Why they should worry: The Broncos' front seven still has serious question marks. If Redskins rookie defensive end Brian Orakpo becomes a star, the Broncos might regret passing on him with the No. 12 pick.
St. Louis Rams

What's different: New coach Steve Spagnuolo did a superb job as the Giants' defensive coordinator. This is a tougher job. Strong safety James Butler and rookie middle linebacker James Laurinaitis are fresh faces, and second-year defensive end Chris Long should be improved. "We're taking from a lot of different teams -- five, six teams we've been watching tape of," Long said. "Hopefully we can do a little bit of everything."

Why they should worry: The Rams have won only five games the last two seasons, and the defense has been weak for years. When a team sinks this low, rebuilding usually takes time.

Clifton Brown is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at cliftonbrown@sportingnews.com.

This story first appeared in the May 19, 2009 edition of Sporting News Today
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=550500

broncofanatic1987
05-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Denver Broncos

If Redskins rookie defensive end Brian Orakpo becomes a star, the Broncos might regret passing on him with the No. 12 pick.

I don't think that's true. I think they went into the draft liking Ayers more than Orakpo because of Ayers' versatility. They obviously preferred Moreno.

SoCalImport
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
If Redskins rookie defensive end Brian Orakpo becomes a star, the Broncos might regret passing on him with the No. 12 pick.

It's retarded statements like this that make me realize how lucky we are to have the posters we do in here.
There are half a dozen Forum writers that would do a MUCH better job that hacks like they have at the sporting news.

honz
05-19-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't think that's true. I think they went into the draft liking Ayers more than Orakpo because of Ayers' versatility. They obviously preferred Moreno.

McDaniels said somewhere that Ayers and Moreno were their top 2 guys at #12 and 18. He said they thought about trying to grab Ayers first and Moreno at 18, but they felt more confident in Ayers still being there at 18.

Lonestar
05-19-2009, 05:34 PM
McDaniels said somewhere that Ayers and Moreno were their top 2 guys at #12 and 18. He said they thought about trying to grab Ayers first and Moreno at 18, but they felt more confident in Ayers still being there at 18.

it is not to say that aracpoo will not be good in the WAS Defense.. the question is would he have done well here?

If they thought Ayers was a better idea for our scheme the God Bless them..

Just like we have done well with less than stellar RB's and OLINE guys doe not mean that they would have succeeded some where else..

underrated29
05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
well i really think raji and tyjax were our top 2. And if one were gone then it would be whoever is left and moreno. And if both were gone which they were.

Then ayers and moreno!

(which i am happeir with anyhow)

broncohead
05-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Ayers hasn't shown to be versatile. He has NEVER been able to get after the passer at the college level. I don't see how he is versatile, please explain.

Dirk
05-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Here's a closer look at what the feeble five have done in the offseason:

I know it's true but still....:tsk:

Lonestar
05-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I know it's true but still....:tsk:

I just quoted the article, but actually agree with it for the most part....

It must be real hard to have to keep track of all the teams, what they have, did in FA, draft and UDFA as well as try and think of all the permutations thereof....

I find it hard to do just with the broncos and a couple of other favorites..

AndyUKBronco
05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Ayers hasn't shown to be versatile. He has NEVER been able to get after the passer at the college level. I don't see how he is versatile, please explain.

Some of the highlight film I have seen of him would suggest otherwise.

Lonestar
05-20-2009, 02:23 PM

welcome to the forum.. we have a few other over the water fans..

JR

broncohead
05-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Because highlights from youtube is the best way to see how good a player will be.

topscribe
05-20-2009, 02:55 PM
I, for one, was disappointed with the #12.

However, if Moreno stars, I don't think the Broncos will care much what Orakpo does . . .

-----

T.K.O.
05-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I, for one, was disappointed with the #12.

However, if Moreno stars, I don't think the Broncos will care much what Orakpo does . . .

-----

i know i wont ! i just want to see a bronco rush for 1500+ again !!:elefant:

broncofanatic1987
05-21-2009, 01:04 PM

He has shown that he can get after the passer. He is solid against the run. He even demonstrated the ability to play standing up while in college, which is probably part of the reason that the Broncos believe they can convert him to an OLB. He can play DT in a 4-3 alignment. Some believe he can play DE in a 3-4 alignment. We already know that he can play DE in a 4-3 alignment.

Whether he is versatile or not really isn't the point. He will have the opportunity to prove it in OTA's and training camp. What is important, is that the Broncos believe he is versatile and that is why they preferred him over Orakpo, who might be a one trick pony. That one trick being a pass rusher, which he is expected to do whether he's lined up as DE or the SLB.

Ayers is believed to be able to play multiple positions and play well against the run or pass. It's already been reported that he has been practicing at the linebacker position and at the DE position.

broncohead
05-21-2009, 01:07 PM
He has shown that he can get after the passer. He is solid against the run. He even demonstrated the ability to play standing up while in college, which is probably part of the reason that the Broncos believe they can convert him to an OLB. He can play DT in a 4-3 alignment. Some believe he can play DE in a 3-4 alignment. We already know that he can play DE in a 4-3 alignment.

Whether he is versatile or not really isn't the point. He will have the opportunity to prove it in OTA's and training camp. What is important, is that the Broncos believe he is versatile and that is why they preferred him over Orakpo, who might be a one trick pony. That one trick being a pass rusher, which he is expected to do whether he's lined up as DE or the SLB.

Ayers is believed to be able to play multiple positions and play well against the run or pass. It's already been reported that he has been practicing at the linebacker position and at the DE position.

He doesn't have the sacks to prove it and even though hurries aren't a stat some one said he had less then 20 hurries. If we run the 4-3 I can see why we made the pick but if it's a 3-4 then it was like drafting Moss for a 4-3 a couple years ago

broncofanatic1987
05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
He doesn't have the sacks to prove it and even though hurries aren't a stat some one said he had less then 20 hurries. If we run the 4-3 I can see why we made the pick but if it's a 3-4 then it was like drafting Moss for a 4-3 a couple years ago

There are any number of reasons for why Ayers doesn't have the sack numbers. One of those reasons being that he wasn't a starter until his last year. His showing at the Senior Bowl apparently played a big role in why he started ascending people's draft boards. He practiced well against tackles like Andre Smith and Michael Oher and played well enough to earn defensive player of the game.

I think he has shown that he has the ability to get after the passer, but he could use some improvement to do it consistently. It might not be that pass rushing will be his primary concern. It's the combination of skills that make him more attractive as a player rather than being great at one thing. There's a good chance that he will be the strong side linebacker with Dumervil on the weak side. That would place more coverage responsibilities on Ayers as well as run stopping responsibilities.

It's nothing like drafting Moss. Moss was drafted to play a scheme that was abandoned after a few games into the season. Because Ayers is versatile, the Broncos can decide to stick with the 4-3 and Ayers will be able to fit in, either on the left side or the right side. The thing he has going for him is that he is strong against the run, where as Moss really only had a chance to be a pass rusher and he didn't live up to that. At least when you have a line that is strong against the run, you can find other ways to pressure the quarterback, by blitzing.

Even though Ayers might not be an elite pass rusher, he should still be able to generate enough of a pass rush to make opposing teams have to account for him. Whether or not that's enough to make a difference as whole depends on how well the other defenders do their jobs. If Dumervil does get the starting OLB job on the weak side, he could be the elite pass rusher, while Ayers forces the offense to stay honest.

broncohead
05-21-2009, 02:55 PM
There are any number of reasons for why Ayers doesn't have the sack numbers. One of those reasons being that he wasn't a starter until his last year.

That scares me a little. Why wasn't he a starter? Who was starting in front of him?

His showing at the Senior Bowl apparently played a big role in why he started ascending people's draft boards. He practiced well against tackles like Andre Smith and Michael Oher and played well enough to earn defensive player of the game.

Didn't follow him during the senior bowl

I think he has shown that he has the ability to get after the passer, but he could use some improvement to do it consistently. It might not be that pass rushing will be his primary concern. It's the combination of skills that make him more attractive as a player rather than being great at one thing. There's a good chance that he will be the strong side linebacker with Dumervil on the weak side. That would place more coverage responsibilities on Ayers as well as run stopping responsibilities.

He has NEVER shown the ability to get after the passer. Also playing LB means he'll have to go into man coverage which speed is needed for expecially covering a TE like Gates. That will be brutal.

It's nothing like drafting Moss. Moss was drafted to play a scheme that was abandoned after a few games into the season.

Ayers does not fit the 3-4 as Moss should have been in a 3-4.

Because Ayers is versatile, the Broncos can decide to stick with the 4-3 and Ayers will be able to fit in, either on the left side or the right side. The thing he has going for him is that he is strong against the run, where as Moss really only had a chance to be a pass rusher and he didn't live up to that. At least when you have a line that is strong against the run, you can find other ways to pressure the quarterback, by blitzing.

He is good against the run thats why I think he'll fit better as the 3-4 DE. But he needs to get stronger and gain a little weight.

Even though Ayers might not be an elite pass rusher, he should still be able to generate enough of a pass rush to make opposing teams have to account for him. Whether or not that's enough to make a difference as whole depends on how well the other defenders do their jobs. If Dumervil does get the starting OLB job on the weak side, he could be the elite pass rusher, while Ayers forces the offense to stay honest.[/QUOTE]

I like the optimism but it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Ravage!!!
05-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Every coach drafts the guy that they THINK will do better. That doesn't excuse McDaniels and Co. if passing on Orakpo was a mistake. We sure didn't give Shanahan any 'passes' on who he "THOUGHT" would be the better player when it comes to criticisms. Obviously, the writer was just giving a "if this happens" scenario, and he's dead on.

If our front seven continues to blow (and here is no reason to believe its better since we didn't improve talent)... then you MUST believe that there will be MANY that have the same perspective on second guessing that draft pick.... ESPECIALLY if Orakpo develops into a stud. Just as people have ragged on past GMs for taking LBs instead of DTs or NTs.

omahacolt
05-21-2009, 06:22 PM

i dont think orakpo will be a good player. i would have picked ayers over him regardless

broncosinindy
05-21-2009, 07:09 PM

He is/was a under acheiver his first few years. He did get to the passer when he was asked to as a senior. It is a thin body of work but to say he didnt is just funny. And if you knew anything about football you would know playing 4-3 LDE they get fewer sacks...If he could come in and get 6-8 sacks from the LDE spot that is a great acheivement.

Ayers has expirence standing up. When moss came into the leauge he was projected to go to a 3-4 team mostly because his skills trnaslate there best. But if he could have come in and gained weight the skyu was the limit for his potential. To be honest. i would rather see him play stout agasint the run and prove himself there then get 10 sacks although that would be nice.

broncosinindy
05-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Every coach drafts the guy that they THINK will do better. That doesn't excuse McDaniels and Co. if passing on Orakpo was a mistake. We sure didn't give Shanahan any 'passes' on who he "THOUGHT" would be the better player when it comes to criticisms. Obviously, the writer was just giving a "if this happens" scenario, and he's dead on.

If our front seven continues to blow (and here is no reason to believe its better since we didn't improve talent)... then you MUST believe that there will be MANY that have the same perspective on second guessing that draft pick.... ESPECIALLY if Orakpo develops into a stud. Just as people have ragged on past GMs for taking LBs instead of DTs or NTs.

I am still luke warm on this hole off season. although i think it wasnt a downgrade to the front seven this year it surely wasnt a upgrade i think more of a push

broncohead
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
He is/was a under acheiver his first few years. He did get to the passer when he was asked to as a senior. It is a thin body of work but to say he didnt is just funny. And if you knew anything about football you would know playing 4-3 LDE they get fewer sacks...If he could come in and get 6-8 sacks from the LDE spot that is a great acheivement.

Ayers has expirence standing up. When moss came into the leauge he was projected to go to a 3-4 team mostly because his skills trnaslate there best. But if he could have come in and gained weight the skyu was the limit for his potential. To be honest. i would rather see him play stout agasint the run and prove himself there then get 10 sacks although that would be nice.

4 sacks isn't good even for a LDE and for a 1st round pick in college he should have had more. He's playing against the best of the best now at OT not some college player who many don't even sniff the NFL.

Lonestar
05-21-2009, 11:24 PM
i dont think orakpo will be a good player. i would have picked ayers over him regardless

from what I saw of him I was not overly impressed but thought after seeing the rankings that someone obviously saw something I did not..

I do not think he would have fit here..

broncohead
05-21-2009, 11:31 PM
from what I saw of him I was not overly impressed but thought after seeing the rankings that someone obviously saw something I did not..

I do not think he would have fit here..

I think he would have done good here. I was torn with the 12 with taking Moreno or Orakpo. Moreno I thought would help out Orton. Taking some pressure off of the passing game and help the red zone scoring. Orakpo being a guy that can get after the passer and drop back into coverage. Only time will tell though

Lonestar
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
I think he would have done good here. I was torn with the 12 with taking Moreno or Orakpo. Moreno I thought would help out Orton. Taking some pressure off of the passing game and help the red zone scoring. Orakpo being a guy that can get after the passer and drop back into coverage. Only time will tell though

well you may be right I just did not see anything special in the games I saw him in..

broncohead
05-21-2009, 11:41 PM
well you may be right I just did not see anything special in the games I saw him in..

Expecially with DEs you don't know what your going to get. Orakpo would have been a high risk/high potential type of pick.

Dirk
05-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Expecially with DEs you don't know what your going to get. Orakpo would have been a high risk/high potential type of pick.

Totally agree. Some will say the same about Ayers which is true...but I like the potential better with Ayers. (I have too huh?) :lol: