PDA

View Full Version : FoxSports:Don't go sleeping on the Broncos

Skinny
10-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Adam Schein
Oct. 23, 2007

Do yourself a favor. Do not count out the Denver Broncos. Do not count them out in a game, for the division, for the wildcard, for anything.

The national buzz was overwhelming for Pittsburgh winning, and winning big, in Denver this weekend.

Have people watched the Broncos over the last 10 years? Do you realize the genius of Mike Shanahan? Do you know he's won five straight after a bye week? This is a good, strong-willed football team that got into a rut. If you thought the Broncos were going to curl into a ball after getting shellacked by the Chargers at home, you don't understand history or the make-up of this team.

No Champ Bailey, no Javon Walker, no Tom Nailen, no problem for Shanahan as the Broncos "stunned" the Steelers, 31-28, on Jason Elam's 49-yard field goal at the gun.

You really should've seen this coming under Shanahan.

Or as Dré Bly told us yesterday, "We lost three straight games. We lost a few in a row at home. We needed that win. We had to have that win."

Bly helped changed the game with an early interception on Ben Roethlisberger. The veteran cornerback saw the win and productivity develop during practice, with Shanahan and Jim Bates making changes during the bye week.

"I think we improved stopping the run," Bly said. "I think we trust each other more and we are getting guys disciplined in their gaps. That's what we did against Pittsburgh. We flew around. We were much more aggressive. And that's being aggressive in stopping the run and the pass. When you blitz and force the quarterback to make bad decisions, that's when plays are made. That's why I feel like we were successful the first couple of weeks. You cannot sit back and let teams do what they want to do. We applied the pressure and set the tone Sunday night."

Elvis Dumervil burst through a double-team to sack and strip Roethlisberger in the first half. Tim Crowder recovered and waltzed into the end zone to make it 21-7. That sequence typified the Denver effort.

One thing that truly played into Denver's hands was Pittsburgh's backwards game plan. The Broncos have been awful stopping the run this season. Willie Parker is a great player. So what does Pittsburgh do? Bruce Arians and Mike Tomlin start chucking it around.

"We were every surprised how they came out and threw like they did," Bly said. "The Steelers are a hard-nosed football team. They have one of the best backs in the game and a great offensive line. We were expecting them guys to run."

With Travis Henry in check thanks to the Steelers' stout run defense, Shanahan needed Jay Cutler to play well. The second-year quarterback was great and most especially clutch, throwing three touchdowns and making key throws to set up Elam's game-winner. And what was impressive was how he bounced back after floating an interception to Larry Foote. Cutler showed great poise on the ensuing drive, finding Brandon Marshall and Brandon Stokley, checking down to Selvin Young on a key 3rd-and-14 screen leading to drilling Tony Scheffler in the end zone for a score.

Shanahan told the Denver media Monday that Cutler, "took two steps forward."

"Jay is going to be one of the best quarterbacks in the game," Bly said. "He has all the tools. He has a cannon for an arm. He can scramble. He can run. Jay came up big for us last night."

The AFC West is fascinating this season. We've seen the signs of San Diego living up to its talent and potential and going on a run. Then there are the coaching questions. The Chiefs are a tough nut to crack. They have major holes but they have four wins behind a stout defense with a different hero every week and a coach who can motivate. It's not easy playing the Raiders, vastly improved under Lane Kiffin. They won't make the playoffs, but they aren't a cupcake anymore.

And then there's Denver, not devoid of issues itself. Brandon Marshall was arrested on suspicion of DUI (when he dedicates himself, he's going to be great, but Marshall needs to grow up on the practice field and off the field). Walker, the team's best receiver, is out for the foreseeable future. Henry could be facing a year-long suspension. Bly told us he separated his shoulder. Bailey is hurt. And the defense has to "bring it" every week.

But Denver can beat Green Bay on Monday night in what should be a great game. This team is strong enough and most especially resourceful enough thanks to great coaching to march to the playoffs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7366382

Lonestar
10-23-2007, 01:37 PM
another puff piece in orange colored glasses.

Lets see if they can win two straight..at home no less

TXBRONC
10-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Right Jr everything good written about the Broncos is always blowing smoke.

Jr I think you are the most negative poster on this board.

TXBRONC
10-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Once again Skinny thanks for the read. In my opinion Sunday night's game proved once again games are played on the field not on paper as Med put it in another thread.

omac
10-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Very nice post, columbiaskinny! :cheers:

Do yourself a favor. Do not count out the Denver Broncos. Do not count them out in a game, for the division, for the wildcard, for anything.

Sums up how I feel about this team and this organization.

Uncle Buck
10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Adam Schein
Oct. 23, 2007

The national buzz was overwhelming for Pittsburgh winning, and winning big, in Denver this weekend.

Have people watched the Broncos over the last 10 years? Do you realize the genius of Mike Shanahan? Do you know he's won five straight after a bye week? This is a good, strong-willed football team that got into a rut. If you thought the Broncos were going to curl into a ball after getting shellacked by the Chargers at home, you don't understand history or the make-up of this team.

No Champ Bailey, no Javon Walker, no Tom Nailen, no problem for Shanahan as the Broncos "stunned" the Steelers, 31-28, on Jason Elam's 49-yard field goal at the gun.

You really should've seen this coming under Shanahan.

Or as Dré Bly told us yesterday, "We lost three straight games. We lost a few in a row at home. We needed that win. We had to have that win."

Bly helped changed the game with an early interception on Ben Roethlisberger. The veteran cornerback saw the win and productivity develop during practice, with Shanahan and Jim Bates making changes during the bye week.

"I think we improved stopping the run," Bly said. "I think we trust each other more and we are getting guys disciplined in their gaps. That's what we did against Pittsburgh. We flew around. We were much more aggressive. And that's being aggressive in stopping the run and the pass. When you blitz and force the quarterback to make bad decisions, that's when plays are made. That's why I feel like we were successful the first couple of weeks. You cannot sit back and let teams do what they want to do. We applied the pressure and set the tone Sunday night."

Elvis Dumervil burst through a double-team to sack and strip Roethlisberger in the first half. Tim Crowder recovered and waltzed into the end zone to make it 21-7. That sequence typified the Denver effort.

One thing that truly played into Denver's hands was Pittsburgh's backwards game plan. The Broncos have been awful stopping the run this season. Willie Parker is a great player. So what does Pittsburgh do? Bruce Arians and Mike Tomlin start chucking it around.

"We were every surprised how they came out and threw like they did," Bly said. "The Steelers are a hard-nosed football team. They have one of the best backs in the game and a great offensive line. We were expecting them guys to run."

With Travis Henry in check thanks to the Steelers' stout run defense, Shanahan needed Jay Cutler to play well. The second-year quarterback was great and most especially clutch, throwing three touchdowns and making key throws to set up Elam's game-winner. And what was impressive was how he bounced back after floating an interception to Larry Foote. Cutler showed great poise on the ensuing drive, finding Brandon Marshall and Brandon Stokley, checking down to Selvin Young on a key 3rd-and-14 screen leading to drilling Tony Scheffler in the end zone for a score.

Shanahan told the Denver media Monday that Cutler, "took two steps forward."

"Jay is going to be one of the best quarterbacks in the game," Bly said. "He has all the tools. He has a cannon for an arm. He can scramble. He can run. Jay came up big for us last night."

The AFC West is fascinating this season. We've seen the signs of San Diego living up to its talent and potential and going on a run. Then there are the coaching questions. The Chiefs are a tough nut to crack. They have major holes but they have four wins behind a stout defense with a different hero every week and a coach who can motivate. It's not easy playing the Raiders, vastly improved under Lane Kiffin. They won't make the playoffs, but they aren't a cupcake anymore.

And then there's Denver, not devoid of issues itself. Brandon Marshall was arrested on suspicion of DUI (when he dedicates himself, he's going to be great, but Marshall needs to grow up on the practice field and off the field). Walker, the team's best receiver, is out for the foreseeable future. Henry could be facing a year-long suspension. Bly told us he separated his shoulder. Bailey is hurt. And the defense has to "bring it" every week.

But Denver can beat Green Bay on Monday night in what should be a great game. This team is strong enough and most especially resourceful enough thanks to great coaching to march to the playoffs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7366382

Nice post, Skinny, and thanks. While Bronco fans would like to believe this commentary is right on the mark, there actually isn't anything the writer expressed that was without merit! :salute:

broncosfanscott
10-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Nice read Skinny, thanks. I am extatic about the win over the Steelers and the fact that our defense stepped it up big time. Now all we need to do is continue to play that way and we will be fine. Come on Broncos........two straight wins at home.

lex
10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Ill go ahead and say it. Denvers not as good as New England this year but they are one of the few teams who can beat them in a game that matters. We are one of the few teams who have the depth at CB to match up with their WRs. But the schwerpunkt...the whole point of contention is that defensive line. They are very young but also very talented. They may not turn the corner this year but if they do, New England will have all it can handle should the day ever come where we were to play them in the playoffs. Im not saying thats what will happen as much as thats what could happen. Not only that but Shanahan is one of the few coaches who can outscheme Belichick.

And then theres Cutler. The same goes for him as what I said about the defensive line. Again, New England this year is a better team than us but if our young guys come around, we also will be one of the few teams who can beat New England when New England is playing well. The problem is that as great as we can be, we can also be famously bad as we have already seen.

Lonestar
10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Ill go ahead and say it. Denvers not as good as New England this year but they are one of the few teams who can beat them in a game that matters. We are one of the few teams who have the depth at CB to match up with their WRs. But the schwerpunkt...the whole point of contention is that defensive line. They are very young but also very talented. They may not turn the corner this year but if they do, New England will have all it can handle should the day ever come where we were to play them in the playoffs. Im not saying thats what will happen as much as thats what could happen. Not only that but Shanahan is one of the few coaches who can outscheme Belichick.

And then theres Cutler. The same goes for him as what I said about the defensive line. Again, New England this year is a better team than us but if our young guys come around, we also will be one of the few teams who can beat New England when New England is playing well. The problem is that as great as we can be, we can also be famously bad as we have already seen.

We used to be a team that could beat them in the playoffs in fact it is our only win in the playoffs since 2000. not IMHO much to hang ones hat on. Unless they suffer catastrophic injuries NE is gonna breeze through to another Lombardi trophy..

Our team is a year and a DT away from being a serious contender..

omac
10-23-2007, 11:00 PM
We used to be a team that could beat them in the playoffs in fact it is our only win in the playoffs since 2000. not IMHO much to hang ones hat on. Unless they suffer catastrophic injuries NE is gonna breeze through to another Lombardi trophy..

At worst case, I think you underestimate the Colts. And if the Giants somehow make the Superbowl, they have the defense that can potentially put Brady on his butt, while having the offense to score a lot of points.

And at best case, our team is a serious contender now, if our defense just plays as well as against Pittsburgh. I think you seriously underestimate what they've accomplished against them.

lex
10-23-2007, 11:09 PM

You might be right and youre certainly taking the safe position in saying that but looking at what we have on the team, I stand by what I said. If the young guys turn the corner this year, we can give someone like the Patriots problems. Basically, it hinges on our DEs. If Moss/Crowder/Dumervil can improve their pass rush, we'll have a chance. People are all excited about the pass rush vs Pittsburgh, who has a great OLine but, really, that was mostly Dumervil. If the DE from the other side can come around this year, all bets are off. I also dont see New England putting it on their running game. Theyll use it, but I think if theyre challenged, theyll put it on Brady...and if we get the pass rush from both sides we would be in good shape. Thats miles away from happening...its also best case scenario and the odds are against it but its not impossible.

Lonestar
10-23-2007, 11:09 PM
At worst case, I think you underestimate the Colts. And if the Giants somehow make the Superbowl, they have the defense that can potentially put Brady on his butt, while having the offense to score a lot of points.

The one thing I know is it will not be DEN in the SB at last this year. IND, SAN, and NE are way to strong.. could care less about the NFC teams as while they might be strong in their conference they do not play in the AFC..

As I have consistently said DEN should be a super team in 2008 once the rookies and OLINE has a chance to play with each other and get some experience. the team work on the OLINE is not something you can plug in a new player and have a smooth transition and replacing 4 of the 5 not counting TE's well that is unheard of..

Lonestar
10-23-2007, 11:13 PM
You might be right and youre certainly taking the safe position in saying that but looking at what we have on the team, I stand by what I said. If the young guys turn the corner this year, we can give someone like the Patriots problems. Basically, it hinges on our DEs. If Moss/Crowder/Dumervil can improve their pass rush, we'll have a chance. People are all excited about the pass rush vs Pittsburgh, who has a great OLine but, really, that was mostly Dumervil. If the DE from the other side can come around this year, all bets are off. I also dont see New England putting it on their running game. Theyll use it, but I think if theyre challenged, theyll put it on Brady...and if we get the pass rush from both sides we would be in good shape. Thats miles away from happening...its also best case scenario and the odds are against it but its not impossible.

I think not matter how good the DE play until we can shut down RB's consistently and get a lot of 3 and outs this team is doomed to be mediocre.

We need that Biggie DT available to play the entire game, that Sam Adams does not.. Another one of them is what we lack someone that can plug the gaps and force the OLINE to double or triple team him/them..

lex
10-23-2007, 11:14 PM
The one thing I know is it will not be DEN in the SB at last this year. IND, SAN, and NE are way to strong.. could care less about the NFC teams as while they might be strong in their conference they do not play in the AFC..

As I have consistently said DEN should be a super team in 2008 once the rookies and OLINE has a chance to play with each other and get some experience. the team work on the OLINE is not something you can plug in a new player and have a smooth transition and replacing 4 of the 5 not counting TE's well that is unheard of..

Lets be honest though. The season for all intents and purposes rests on our defensive line more than any other position. I agree with you that we are likely a year away but what if Moss and Cutler turn the corner and next year becomes this year a lot faster than any of us thought. It happens. Again, the odds are against it but its not impossible. You know its true. You just dont want verbalize it as a way of coping with the disappointment that this year will bring.

lex
10-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I think not matter how good the DE play until we can shut down RB's consistently and get a lot of 3 and outs this team is doomed to be mediocre.

We need that Biggie DT available to play the entire game, that Sam Adams does not.. Another one of them is what we lack someone that can plug the gaps and force the OLINE to double or triple team him/them..

We actually did pretty well Sunday night. They got us for a couple of 20ish yard runs but other than that, they couldnt just dial up a 5 yard run when they needed it and thats a massive improvement. The jury is still out on the run defense but there definitely was improvement Sunday night and the best part is that it was the best performence and it was the young guys who did it. So we know theres the potential it could improve. It might also regress as any of these guys might hit a wall since theyre rookies. But still, there is the possibility of improvement that one could walk away from Sunday night with. If it was Amon Gordon in there we dont stop anyone but assuming the result was the same, Id walk away saying thats the best we can hope for. In college when Marcus Thomas didnt have double teams he was a wrecking ball in big games...an absolute menace. I finally saw a little of that guy Sunday night...I saw a rookie neutralize a perennial all pro guard in Faneca. You just dont know what you will get when you rely on rookies. But like I said, there is immense talent on our DLine that may soon be realize...whether its next year or sooner.

broncosinindy
10-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Right Jr everything good written about the Broncos is always blowing smoke.

Jr I think you are the most negative poster on this board.

I think Denver at this point is getting better but they are still not anywhere near the leauge of indy and NE. i would say right now they are between third and second tier. they have alot of promise. but they also have alooot of work to do. with a win against greenbay itll give us more insight on where this team is. i like the match up agaisnt them.

TXBRONC
10-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I think Denver at this point is getting better but they are still not anywhere near the league of Indy and NE. i would say right now they are between third and second tier. they have alot of promise. but they also have alooot of work to do. with a win against greenbay it'll give us more insight on where this team is. i like the match up against them.

I agree with you, Denver is not in the same League with Indianapolis and New England. But that doesn't mean that everything written about the Broncos is just someone blowing smoke.

Again I think you are dead on with Green Bay game. A win against them will tell us a lot about this team.

lex
10-26-2007, 06:38 AM
I think Denver at this point is getting better but they are still not anywhere near the leauge of indy and NE. i would say right now they are between third and second tier. they have alot of promise. but they also have alooot of work to do. with a win against greenbay itll give us more insight on where this team is. i like the match up agaisnt them.

2nd or 3rd tier?...talk about nebulous. 2nd or 3rd out of how many tiers? 3, 5,...32?

TXBRONC
10-26-2007, 07:17 AM
2nd or 3rd tier?...talk about nebulous. 2nd or 3rd out of how many tiers? 3, 5,...32?

I think the real intent is that in Indy's opinion Denver isn't on the same level as the Colts or Patriots at this time.